Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2016, 05:32 AM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Veterans Day

Happy Veterans Day to my fellow vets on the board and to all those who continue to serve in the Armed Forces.

I don't know if any of you have this experience but Veterans Day is a very weird day for me. I have never been comfortable accepting thank yous for my service. That is not unusual for me as I don't take compliments well in general but it is even more uncomfortable for me when it comes to my military service. In my mind, I just did what I chose to do and what I was supposed to do. It is so bad that I feel a touch of guilt when I randomly pay for something with credit card show my military ID and realize I get a military discount. Now don't get me wrong, I am not turning down the discount.. I just don't expect those sorts of things. This sort of stuff drives the family crazy. So today, I will try my best to show the proper appreciation of any thank yous I receive. More than anything though, I will celebrate the service of my fellow veterans that I see and those that have gone before.

Once again, thank you for your service.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
Dutch
"Dutch"

Same here. But many people TRULY appreciate what you and millions of others have done. So when somebody says "Thanks for your service" to me, I accept it gratefully knowing it's not necessarily something I did individually, but it's being said for the collective that have put forth amazing effort and sacrifice for our nation.

My grandfather served in WWII in the Army Air Corps (B-17's), my father served in the Air Force, did a tour in the Philippines at a remote radar site in support of the Vietnam War, I served in the Air Force supporting operations all the way back to Desert Storm, my sister served in the Air Force (military police, now called security forces) and my boys both are in the Air Force (one a photojournalist that travels largely with the Thunderbirds) and the other supports the Osprey aircraft (and has already served in Iraq and Africa in support of ongoing operations).

Like you, I can't point to one specific case where I feel like I deserve any thanks, but when you look at the bigger picture and recognize that the "Thanks for your service" is aimed at all and not one, you can be proud for all who served (including yourself) when you say, "You're welcome" or "No....thank YOU" in return (and lets face it, the armed forces is nothing without the American citizen who pays for it...so I've returned the thanks as much as I've received it. We're all in this together.)

Happy Veterans Day! Thank you for your service!

Last edited by Dutch : 11-11-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

Thank you to everyone on the board who has served. Our country and each of us owe you a debt of gratitude.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Happy Veterans Day - Semper Fi to my fellow Marines!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Happy Veterans Day - Semper Fi to my fellow Marines!

And Belated Happy Birthday, Marine Corps! 241 years old just yesterday, I believe.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
rjolley
College Starter

Thank you for everything, including the right to get on a crazy internet message board and complain about everything without fear of having your door knocked down for saying the wrong thing.
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

fwiw, I've heard similar sentiments from several veterans, especially in the past few years. So you're definitely not alone in your discomfort.

That said ...

suck it up & deal

Thank you, and collectively all our veterans as well.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #8
molson
General Manager

I've heard the same stuff, but like you said, I think with any kinds of compliments and thanks you can get, a good chunk it is people wanting and needing to express gratitude. And that's a really positive and productive emotion to have. So even if it's a little awkward, you're doing a little something for them by hearing and taking in their appreciation. In a way, it's giving even more service to your country.

Edit: So, even though it makes you feel a little weird - thank you Veterans

Last edited by molson : 11-11-2016 at 10:56 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:29 AM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

I feel the same way at times and it is much easier for me to say it than accept it. But to all my follow veterans, happy veterans/remembrance day!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:41 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
And Belated Happy Birthday, Marine Corps! 241 years old just yesterday, I believe.

Yes sir!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote