Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

Attack on OSU campus

I hate seeing these headlines pop up, seems far too much lately.

Live Coverage from CBS News

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-28-2016 at 06:21 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #3
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Looks like it wasn't a shooter, but someone who drove over a curb hitting pedestrians, then got out of the car and started stabbing people with a butcher knife.

Reuters

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-28-2016 at 02:04 PM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Looks like it wasn't a shooter, but someone who drove over a curb hitting pedestrians, then got out of the car and started stabbing people with a butcher knife.

Reuters

Thoughts go out to anyone affected by this maniac.

On another note... I would guess that this dropped several slots in the headline position as soon as it was known that it wasn't a shooter.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Thoughts go out to anyone affected by this maniac.

On another note... I would guess that this dropped several slots in the headline position as soon as it was known that it wasn't a shooter.

Yup, doesn't fit the narrative.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

Not so shockingly, it does seem to have slipped a bit
Old 11-29-2016, 12:47 AM   #7
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I think the lack of deaths caused it to slip more than the method of attack, because his background (Somalian refugee via Pakistan) certainly fits one narrative.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:28 AM   #8
Dutch
"Dutch"

Looks like he was a devout Muslim, a Somali refugee, 18-years old...hated America and the Weet and simply (apparently) couldn't adapt to living in a predominantly Christian country.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Looks like he was a devout Muslim, a Somali refugee, 18-years old...hated America and the Weet and simply (apparently) couldn't adapt to living in a predominantly Christian country.

This is the part that really provides the slippery slope and something you can never really vet. Did he come to America with the sole intent of going to school and become disenfranchised with the ways of the west after arrival, or come here with the sole intent of doing something like this under the guise of being a student.

We will probably never really know in this case, but you know the latter will be the agenda pushed and used to fuel a case for some type of restriction/ban. Which, will only serve to increase hate crimes against Muslims, as well as potentially push some Muslims who never had thoughts of doing something like this at one time, to potentially considering it.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #10
RainMaker
General Manager

There was a similar attack last year at a University. Police tried to cover it up but it came out eventually from the Feds. Also had the stabbings in Minnesota this year.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/18/us/uni...-inspired-fbi/

I guess we should be lucky that they aren't getting their hands on guns in many of these terrorist attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

Or as left-leaning news sites will say, "motive is unclear".
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Or as left-leaning news sites will say, "motive is unclear".

LOL. Aint that the truth.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #12
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
This is the part that really provides the slippery slope and something you can never really vet. Did he come to America with the sole intent of going to school and become disenfranchised with the ways of the west after arrival, or come here with the sole intent of doing something like this under the guise of being a student.

We will probably never really know in this case, but you know the latter will be the agenda pushed and used to fuel a case for some type of restriction/ban. Which, will only serve to increase hate crimes against Muslims, as well as potentially push some Muslims who never had thoughts of doing something like this at one time, to potentially considering it.

From the quote in the Reuters article, I'd say he became disenfranchised along the way:

Quote:
In the interview, Artan, a third-year logistics management student, said he had recently transferred to Ohio State from Columbus State University. Artan talked about being a Muslim and said that Columbus State had offered more accommodations for prayer.

"We had prayer rooms, like actual rooms where we could go pray because we Muslims have to pray five times a day," he was quoted as saying.

Artan said he was scared to pray openly on campus as a Muslim, saying that he feared that media portrayals of Muslims would give people the wrong idea about him.

"This place is huge, and I don't even know where to pray," he told the newspaper. "If people look at me, a Muslim praying, I don't know what they're going to think, what's going to happen. ... But I just did it. ... I went over to the corner and just prayed."
Old 11-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #13
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
From the quote in the Reuters article, I'd say he became disenfranchised along the way:

Which is totally expected from people who didn't want to come here but were forced to come here. I fully expect immigrants to integrate into our society and be Americans quickly. I don't expect refugees to do the same, if at all.

Last edited by Dutch : 11-29-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #14
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Artan said he was scared to pray openly on campus as a Muslim, saying that he feared that media portrayals of Muslims would give people the wrong idea about him.

Wrong idea? I guess trying to kill people wasn't the wrong idea so exactly what was this "wrong idea" he was worried about?
Old 11-29-2016, 08:33 PM   #15
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Disenfranchised? I would say radicalized is the better word.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:44 PM   #16
cuervo72
Head Coach

Was using BYU's word. But one is probably a common step on the path to the other.

Worth noting, I think, that he was only 18. I don't think it takes a whole lot to set some teens off the deep end, and quickly (saw a clip from a graduation on the news - he sure didn't seem like he hated life or the West then). I have a 16yo, and he can be pretty fervent about things (which concerns me where it comes to possible rabbit holes he could down).