Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Game Developer Tycoon

A new sim game:

Game Dev Tycoon | Greenheart GamesGreenheart Games

Also, they released a cracked version on torrent sites: What happens when pirates play a game development simulator and then go bankrupt because of piracy? | Greenheart GamesGreenheart Games

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Groundhog
Coordinator

Now THAT is a funny read.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Mota
College Benchwarmer

What happens when a game designer rips off another one's idea?

Game Dev Story
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
What happens when a game designer rips off another one's idea?

Game Dev Story

I haven't played Game Dev Tycoon, but I would love a deeper Game Dev Story. The problem with all that studio's games is that they are good for one play-through, but there is zero reason to play them again.

Last edited by Groundhog : 04-30-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'd never heard of Game Dev Story until now and it's only for iOS it seems. Plus, I dunno if it's any more a ripoff than someone making a city simulator when one already exists or a text sim sports football/baseball/hockey game when those already exist too.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-29-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I loved Game Dev Story, so I just gave the demo of this a try. I really enjoy it, but wow it seems almost identical to what I remember GDS being. There might be differences somewhere, but if you told me this was GDS 2: Better Graphics, I'd believe it.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Our first game to test the waters is Game Dev Tycoon, a tycoon style game where you can start your own game development company in the 80s. Game Dev Tycoon was inspired by Game Dev Story (by Kairosoft), which was the first ‘tycoon’ game we enjoyed playing on the iPhone; however, from the start, we wished the game would work and look differently. We wanted a game development simulation which would be less random, more about your choices and a little more realistic. We began working on what would become Game Dev Tycoon in 2011 and created the concepts and game mechanics as well as the game itself from scratch.

From the about of their website.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
I'd never heard of Game Dev Story until now and it's only for iOS it seems. Plus, I dunno if it's any more a ripoff than someone making a city simulator when one already exists or a text sim sports football/baseball/hockey game when those already exist too.

GDS is on Android as well.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Tycoon is more of an enhancement of GDS, not a ripoff. The DNA is definitely there, but Tycoon's finances are more directly tied to player choice than in GDS. This new game has a mechanic where the player has to develop game engines for their releases to run in, which allows the player to get very fiddly with research mechanics to make just the right choice. Just five years into the game, for example, I have had to decide whether my third-generation engine would support text or graphics, whether those graphics would be 2d or 3d, mono or stereo sound, any or all of four input controller types, and if cutscenes could be inserted. Management, too is more robust than in Game Dev Story. Each game has nine attributes that must have development personnel and time allocated, and tradeoffs have to be made to fit both parameters. Contrast this to GDS, where you simply hand off each job to whoever has the highest rating and isn't burnt out. Dealing with publishers is an addition to the gameplay as well, if I'm remembering GDS correctly.

There's no doubt that the developers of this new game played GDS, loved it, and asked themselves how they could make it better. (I should also note that I don't know what the GDS sequel added to gameplay, but the online descriptions I quick-googled don't sound like the innovations GDT added.) But the financial engine seems tighter than the predecessor, and there are more options to consider for each project your team works on. I think it stands on its own.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm going to pick this up most likely. GDS is still my favorite Kairosoft game and the sociological experiment these developers did deserves serious props.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 04-29-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
dolfin
High School JV

For eight bucks, an interesting story and what looks like a fun game... I'm in.
dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've literally played it all night since buying it, never played the other one. Reminds me of the old days Hollywood Mogul in terms of immersion.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I'm going to pick this up most likely. GDS is still my favorite Kairosoft game and the sociological experiment these developers did deserves serious props.

Yeah, of the half-dozen I've played, GDS held my interest for the longest by far. Will definitely be picking this up tonight.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:50 AM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

Okay, after playing the demo, I can no longer go back to GDS. It's deeper and more engaging than GDS was. Getting out the credit card now.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #15
Blackadar
Retired

Note: You need Windows 8 to run this.

Why they made that shortsighted decision I have no idea...
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #16
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm playing with Windows 7. Are you trying to buy through the Windows App store (or whatever it's called)? I believe that's Win8 only.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #17
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'm playing with Windows 7. Are you trying to buy through the Windows App store (or whatever it's called)? I believe that's Win8 only.

Ok, if that's the cases...I sit corrected.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #18
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I initially made that mistake too. But yeah, you can buy it for regular windows too.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #19
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

$8 well spent. It is a graphically advanced version of Game Dev Story, which is a good thing.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
$8 well spent. It is a graphically advanced version of Game Dev Story, which is a good thing.

Yeah and unlike GDS it seems to get more difficult too. I was killing it until I moved into a proper office, but after that things fell appart for me in my first playthrough, and I ended up bankrupt trying to pay off a bank loan.... :S

Well worth the money.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #21
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Vista?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #22
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah and unlike GDS it seems to get more difficult too. I was killing it until I moved into a proper office, but after that things fell appart for me in my first playthrough, and I ended up bankrupt trying to pay off a bank loan.... :S

Well worth the money.
Same thing happened to me actually. It is great, put 4 hours into it last night before realizing it was past my bedtime.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #23
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
Same thing happened to me actually. It is great, put 4 hours into it last night before realizing it was past my bedtime.

Yep, I went bankrupt in my first real office too my first playthrough. In my current one I'm in Year 10 and doing well enough to stay afloat. The trick was sticking to two employees besides me, and getting fairly cheap ones.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #24
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This game is a lot tougher than you'd think. I've gone bankrupt a few times now, even after some pretty big successes. I think you might have to be open to downgrading/fiddling with your staff after failures, and you have to manage your time pretty actively, which is more than a lot of similar games ask of you.

The design process still kind of confuses me and/or is too cloudy and random of a concept for my brain, but I still manage to enjoy the hell out of it.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #25
Groundhog
Coordinator

One thing I'd like is if the console/computer tech was a bit random, and sometimes one performed better than it did in reality. I've played through 2 and a bit times now (once with the demo), and it seems to always be the same, which leaves little reason to purchase a license on one of the systems you know are doomed to fail.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
TroyF
Coordinator

Payback: Game Dev Tycoon Fights Piracy With Piracy | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #27
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
This game is a lot tougher than you'd think. I've gone bankrupt a few times now, even after some pretty big successes. I think you might have to be open to downgrading/fiddling with your staff after failures, and you have to manage your time pretty actively, which is more than a lot of similar games ask of you.

Yeah, I made it to year 10 last night, and part of how I managed that was by having one 'core' employee and one I kept firing and replacing with cheaper talent.

Quote:
The design process still kind of confuses me and/or is too cloudy and random of a concept for my brain, but I still manage to enjoy the hell out of it.

Yeah, I don't get how it determines a game's "quality." I've had games score high on design and tech that got shit grades and games that have been middling that get 8/9/10.

Quote:
One thing I'd like is if the console/computer tech was a bit random, and sometimes one performed better than it did in reality. I've played through 2 and a bit times now (once with the demo), and it seems to always be the same, which leaves little reason to purchase a license on one of the systems you know are doomed to fail.

Well, the thing is, it's unfolding the way it did in real life, generally. If you know your market history at all, you know going in both how the platforms are going to do and what games are going to do best on them.

But yeah, how cool would it be if you could release a hit game that turned into a system-seller and opened up the ability to release more hit games for that platform?

Really, I've got a laundry list of shit I think would take this game from a 'fun timewaster' to an actual great game.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #28
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think - again, through limited playthrough - that you need to keep up with technology. I had a great run of Fantasy/RPGs that scored high and sold a lot, right up until about year 10. My cash issues meant I wasn't able to concentrate on development or building a new engine with some of the more recent skills I'd learnt, and all of a sudden my RPGs weren't scoring or selling like they used to as well, which I can only assume was due to my aged engine.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #29
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I think - again, through limited playthrough - that you need to keep up with technology. I had a great run of Fantasy/RPGs that scored high and sold a lot, right up until about year 10. My cash issues meant I wasn't able to concentrate on development or building a new engine with some of the more recent skills I'd learnt, and all of a sudden my RPGs weren't scoring or selling like they used to as well, which I can only assume was due to my aged engine.

My problem with the engine is that it won't let you append secondary elements. Like, I get if you have to do a whole new engine to incorporate graphical updates, but it feels like I ought to be able to add joystick support to an existing engine, say, without having to redo the whole thing.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #30
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
My problem with the engine is that it won't let you append secondary elements. Like, I get if you have to do a whole new engine to incorporate graphical updates, but it feels like I ought to be able to add joystick support to an existing engine, say, without having to redo the whole thing.

Yeah agreed, I think controller support doesn't really belong under the engine category.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #31
SportsDino
College Prospect

$8 is a good price, well worth that. Hopefully they get some revenue and listen to their fans and improve the richness for a future version or another tycoon game.

I personally do not like the magic slider design, and never do... I prefer you give the player information and make the difficulty based on resource allocation and risk taking. Once you decode the sliders or if you fail to you lose an entire aspect of the game, worse if you are roleplaying type which I lean towards. Give me and easy but fun sandbox like roller coaster tycoon over pure challenge but magic numbers being the hard part.

Overall I think it is a good base that they can refine further. Maybe emphasize leveling up talent and specialization a little more and allow variable length development cycles so you can boost scores at the cost of precious time.

Still it already sucked 5 hours straight and likely will be 20 more easily given my tendency to replay a bunch at the start to perf4ct the mechanics.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #32
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What's the best anyone has done so far? On my first night playing, I did what others mentioned, overpaying too many staff and after getting as much as $3m in the bank and moving to the new office and having a string of good games, ended up going bankrupt.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #33
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
What's the best anyone has done so far? On my first night playing, I did what others mentioned, overpaying too many staff and after getting as much as $3m in the bank and moving to the new office and having a string of good games, ended up going bankrupt.

Yeah, another play through last night and I had the same issue - bankrupt in about year 12 or 13.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #34
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Here's their forum: Greenheart Games Forum
Old 05-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #35
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Game Dev Tycoon Wiki
Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #36
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Sadly, in my best playthrough, my very first 'hit' game that got me out of the garage was some kinda classic and made $3.5MM by itself right off. Then I just dwindled it down to nothing, with shit game after shit game. Because that was the game that started me out at level one, when I went bankrupt I started back at the beginning with $3.5MM to play with, which was awesome. So I dwindled it down to nothing, with shit game after shit game. The third try with that bankroll I lasted about 17 years, but I was struggling and making small, under-powered games until I eventually went bankrupt again, and when I started over from the previous level this time it was with $250K, so looks like it's back to the garage for me.

That wiki section on game design was super helpful, thanks for that link.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-01-2013 at 08:22 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #37
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm about to head back in I think and see if I can't get a sustained run. Reminds me so much of Hollywood Mogul that it's not funny, but in the best ways in that, I recall how we all used to play that game and could go for hours making films and whatever else.

I like that the new systems as they're released are a bit linear, because even though it's "predictable" I like the decision of trying to figure out how long to publish games for systems that are dying.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #38
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

I'd have to look, but I *think* I'm in Year 14 right now with about $8-10 million sitting in the bank and a game on sale.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #39
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Theres a balance to keeping up with tech and shipping new games.

The biggest issue with it imho is that (as far as I can tell) its impossible to hire several staff and then split them so some of your company works on tech and the rest on making a game, thats how 'real-life' works ... but as a game its fun and I love the fact that the flow of consoles etc. mimics real-life.

Generally if you want to play safe pick a niche field as your main one which isn't 'tech heavy' - because of my real-life job I make sports-sims as my default and then sports-action as my secondary game which I release every other go (again it bugs me that you get penalised for making the same sort of game repeatedly - irl building a reputation in a genre is important which is quite the opposite from what these 'sims' require ... again thats nitpicking and doesn't stop it being fun ).

(if you do a sports sim as your first game from a 'garage' then you should be able to get a hit fairly easily - stick in the garage and refuse the first upgrade and after 3 games you should be able to shift to bigger premises with $5m+ in the bank)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 05-01-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #40
Izulde
Head Coach

I wonder what the upgrade office point is if you take the first upgrade. I've been well over $10 million and it hasn't triggered.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #41
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I was steadily losing money around year 12 or so but then put out a string of hits during the PS2/XBox/Gamecube era so we have $25m in the bank and moved into a larger office with room to hire more than four employees (though I still have only three).

Our best seller is the most recent release, a Time Travel Adventure/RPG game for the PS2 that has sold 1.5 million copies in its first six weeks.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #42
Tasan
College Starter

I finished the game this afternoon after a marathon session last night, and on the first play through. I think the early keys are to pump out games quickly early, and just hire a couple of staff after you expand initially. Get some easy publisher contracts done to expand your fanbase and then just ride the popular consoles into the pc rebirth era. The endgame stuff is fun, but I think they can really expand the end phase to make things last longer to fully exploit all the cool stuff you unlock.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #43
MrBug708
Head Coach

If you find yourself down early, stick to PC's. The cost to make them are cheap.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #44
SportsDino
College Prospect

I also think an option to slow the passage of time would be fun, even if it is the same relative time to release a game. I like to actually sit and think about my strategy, and 10 seconds between phase screens doesn't give me the strategic flavor. I find myself opening the menu immediately after every event so I have the option to think about what is coming next before continuing.

It is not that I can't react at that fast pace (and I'd like to turn it on and off perhaps), but it feels like I'm playing stop motion animation if I want to slow it up.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #45
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Just had my best run yet...got to year 20 or so, I'm sure the 360 was right around the corner. I made a Fallout-type Post-Apocalyptic RPG that did wonders for me. The sequel flopped completely. I've found that if you're going to do a sequel, you have to make a new engine that kicks the previous engines ass and release the game on it. I might have to start taking notes to win this damn game.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #46
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
I also think an option to slow the passage of time would be fun, even if it is the same relative time to release a game. I like to actually sit and think about my strategy, and 10 seconds between phase screens doesn't give me the strategic flavor. I find myself opening the menu immediately after every event so I have the option to think about what is coming next before continuing.

It is not that I can't react at that fast pace (and I'd like to turn it on and off perhaps), but it feels like I'm playing stop motion animation if I want to slow it up.

I will hit escape and put the game on pause sometimes, just so I can collect my thoughts, buy sometime some time or whatever. But I agree with you about this for sure. It's a bit *too* quick to really collect your thoughts.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #47
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Just had my first game to sell over five million copies.

I wish you could make multiplatform games and have two different teams working on a game at once.

Research points are hard to come by. Then when you finally get to research enough advancements to make a new game engine worthwhile, you generate so many more research points that you would have loved to use on things to include in that new engine.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #48
SportsDino
College Prospect

For my next playthrough I am going to try customizing the engine for every game after the office level (by only building in the features I intend to emphasize for that release to skimp resources). Or at the very least do so for topics/genres I got a 'feel' for on the sliders.

RPs do tend to boom and bust, usually at the wrong moments, the default strategy would be to utilize savings but the game mechanics seem to punish storing RPs (you do not spend them you won't have the tech you need for the next quality bump and you may get stuck releasing dud after dud).

I think I am starting to get a read on the marketing game.... but it is a pure gamble if you don't know the sliders. Even an 8 will have trouble making back your budget in some situations. Besides the sliders you need to learn the platform no no's (sometimes it gives you rare feedback)... like releasing anything besides young on gameling. The game needs built in feedback, make it fun to learn what you did wrong (and expensive in money/resources)... don't make you learn by pure experimentation over multiple playthroughs, that can lead to boredom and scaring off the non-number crunchers. I personally do so much number crunching in my daily life I won't spend it to empirically pull apart their game engine, I want to relax.

That said there is enough variety of crazy doodads that it is entertaining. I just think they have a lot of room for a game dev tycoon 2... and most of this same type of opinions are on their forums.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #49
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Just had my first game to sell over five million copies.

I wish you could make multiplatform games and have two different teams working on a game at once.

Research points are hard to come by. Then when you finally get to research enough advancements to make a new game engine worthwhile, you generate so many more research points that you would have loved to use on things to include in that new engine.

Really? I have so many research points I don't know what to do with them
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #50
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm in year 16 and, while I've never had $1 million in the bank or even one employee, I've managed to avoid bankruptcy.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote