Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2017, 12:45 AM   #51
PilotMan
Head Coach

How are you guys not watching this? The wbc games have been great!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:54 AM   #52
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
How are you guys not watching this? The wbc games have been great!

I'm watching, in and around work or at the gym. It has been great.

Although gotta say Crawford makes greasy truck stop bikers look clean cut.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:32 AM   #53
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hate the WBC. I dunno if we have any pitchers in it, but I don't want to waste any innings on something like this.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:37 AM   #54
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I hate the WBC. I dunno if we have any pitchers in it, but I don't want to waste any innings on something like this.

Why?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:22 AM   #55
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Innings are finite.

It's not like it's the World Cup or something. I don't want my guys on a advanced throwing plan in early January so they can get ready for this.

I'm fine with using High A guys but other than that, innings are for MLB.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:41 AM   #56
PilotMan
Head Coach

I have no problem with guys who missed extensive time last year, especially pitchers, saying no. However, it is precisely like the WC. Even in the lower rounds the energy is great. Last night's game gave me chills watching. Post season intensity, no question. The guys who are playing, across all countries, came to play.

Like Steam?

Old 03-19-2017, 07:44 AM   #57
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The WBC is a waste of time that interferes with real baseball. Jim Leyland literally said that it's more important to send players back to their teams healthy than it is to win.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 03-19-2017 at 07:47 AM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #58
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

It is a cool concept but Id agree that the Americans will never take this too seriously which makes it a waste. We all see how seriously American professional athletes take exhibition games. When I say American professional athlete I basically mean anyone that plays in one of the American professional leagues.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #59
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
It is a cool concept but Id agree that the Americans will never take this too seriously which makes it a waste. We all see how seriously American professional athletes take exhibition games. When I say American professional athlete I basically mean anyone that plays in one of the American professional leagues.

You must not watch basketball or hockey then.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #60
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You must not watch basketball or hockey then.

Yeah watched the NBA All Star game a little over a month ago. Unless you think giving up over 350 points in a game is really getting after it? I could probably back off a bit on my statement when it comes to Olympic hockey.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-19-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
The WBC is a waste of time that interferes with real baseball.

We don't get to agree very often so I'll take advantage of the opportunity & say +1.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #62
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah watched the NBA All Star game a little over a month ago. Unless you think giving up over 350 points in a game is really getting after it? I could probably back off a bit on my statement when it comes to Olympic hockey.

You understand that the WBC is not an All Star game right? This is more like Olympics, and since you clearly didn't notice, players cared about those in both basketball and hockey.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:52 PM   #63
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Innings are finite.

It's not like it's the World Cup or something. I don't want my guys on a advanced throwing plan in early January so they can get ready for this.

I'm fine with using High A guys but other than that, innings are for MLB.

Sums it up for me. Pitchers are simply too valuable to take a chance with on this. Use a high A guy if you want just make sure he's not one of my team's top prospects.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:52 PM   #64
PilotMan
Head Coach

Players can get hurt anywhere, anytime. You're essentially making a case against spring training at the same time. Yet, there are still meaningful competitions that take place here and there. If you're going to discount a competition like this because it's not been around long enough, or because guys can get hurt, then why even give a shit about any sport? I mean, none of them really mean anything in the grand scheme of life.

Every other sport (except american football) has players that have to split time between team and country for various competitions. It's a much more common balance that fans accept than we've had to in the US and with US sports.

Like Steam?

Old 03-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #65
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You understand that the WBC is not an All Star game right? This is more like Olympics, and since you clearly didn't notice, players cared about those in both basketball and hockey.

No I had no idea. Your knowledge of events is impressive. Keep up the great work!

Quote:
Leyland said the chance of injury puts a lot of pressure on WBC managers when they are in charge of some other team’s players. “Our No. 1 goal is to send these guys back healthy,’’ he said. “Hopefully it could be in a winning situation, send them back happy. But to be honest with you, my biggest goal is to send them all back healthy. I think that’s the most important thing.’

Quote:
While injury risks and regular-season preparations have prompted many American players to forgo competing in the WBC, perhaps that will change. Two-time MVP Mike Trout, arguably the best player in the majors, avoided this year’s WBC for personal reasons but said he will probably play in the future.

So far the USA has never finished higher than 4th while their manager has some lofty goals for this years event while the best hitter and pitcher from the USA decided it wasnt worth their time. We will just have to agree to disagree on how important team USA feels this competition is.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-19-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Every other sport (except american football) has players that have to split time between team and country for various competitions.

And my opposition here is the same as it is for hockey and basketball. Not particularly more, not particularly less either.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:16 AM   #67
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No I had no idea. Your knowledge of events is impressive. Keep up the great work!

So far the USA has never finished higher than 4th while their manager has some lofty goals for this years event while the best hitter and pitcher from the USA decided it wasnt worth their time. We will just have to agree to disagree on how important team USA feels this competition is.

You're moving the goalposts. You originally stated no American professional athletes in the four major sports are excited about doing this. To which I pointed out that you clearly have missed both basketball and hockey Olympics. You are just plain wrong there.

Also, it seems clear watching the WBC that it matters to Paul Goldschmidt, Nolan Arenado, Giancarlo Stanton, Buster Posey, Daniel Murphy, etc. These are some of the best American and overall players in the game Yea, sure, Trout and Kersh aren't there. That doesn't mean thete aren't players--and really good ones--who want to play.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:05 AM   #68
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Players can get hurt anywhere, anytime. You're essentially making a case against spring training at the same time. Yet, there are still meaningful competitions that take place here and there. If you're going to discount a competition like this because it's not been around long enough, or because guys can get hurt, then why even give a shit about any sport? I mean, none of them really mean anything in the grand scheme of life.

Every other sport (except american football) has players that have to split time between team and country for various competitions. It's a much more common balance that fans accept than we've had to in the US and with US sports.

Actually no. Spring training is a controlled environment designed to get a player ready for the lonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg upcoming season. Arms are now worth upwards of 250-300 million dollars. No way do I want to risk my teams chances for the honor of a winning the equivalent of a AAA tournament.

If there was a world american football championship do you want to put Ton Brady in it if you're the Pats? I know I wouldn't.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #69
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You're moving the goalposts. You originally stated no American professional athletes in the four major sports are excited about doing this. To which I pointed out that you clearly have missed both basketball and hockey Olympics. You are just plain wrong there.

Also, it seems clear watching the WBC that it matters to Paul Goldschmidt, Nolan Arenado, Giancarlo Stanton, Buster Posey, Daniel Murphy, etc. These are some of the best American and overall players in the game Yea, sure, Trout and Kersh aren't there. That doesn't mean thete aren't players--and really good ones--who want to play.

Nah, I gave you hockey. Basketball, meh. Its like pulling teeth to get the NBA stars to show up to the Olympics.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #70
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

Spring training matters in that it is part of the regular system of getting players ready. WBC adds workload, especially to pitchers, and is about as prestigious as a dog taking a dump.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 03-20-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:30 PM   #72
kingfc22
Head Coach

And the rain seems to be getting worse
Old 03-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #73
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Doesn't seem to be effecting the crowd much. Nice atmosphere it seems.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #74
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

RIP Dallas Green
Old 03-22-2017, 09:36 PM   #75
kingfc22
Head Coach

Kindler got all of that one earlier.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:30 PM   #77
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
This is a long game.

Even longer when you consider that 1 team only has 2 hits.

Like Steam?

Old 03-23-2017, 06:53 PM   #78
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yadier Molina demands apology for Adam Jones' comments about WBC party plans

Another strike against this meaningless b.s. afaic.

In this instance, the two feuding players (well, at least one whiny bitch) aren't teammates, but imagine this same foolishness if both players happened to be on the same payroll. Another risk that isn't worth the alleged benefit.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #79
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yadier Molina demands apology for Adam Jones' comments about WBC party plans

Another strike against this meaningless b.s. afaic.

In this instance, the two feuding players (well, at least one whiny bitch) aren't teammates, but imagine this same foolishness if both players happened to be on the same payroll. Another risk that isn't worth the alleged benefit.

That's reaching abit. You know nothing would become public if they were in the same clubhouse.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:57 PM   #80
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's reaching abit. You know nothing would become public if they were in the same clubhouse.

I don't have the same confidence in that as you apparently do.
{shrug}
Old 03-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #81
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
{shrug}

If you really think two players in the same clubhouse are going to do a media war rather than have it out face to face in the locker room, I can't help you with that thinking.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #82
TroyF
Coordinator

A little off topic from what we've been talking about here, but a stat I picked up from fangraphs this morning:

Mike Trout will likely pass these players in career WAR this year:

Will Clark
Vlad Guerrero
Todd Helton
Jim Rice
Orlando Cepeda
Robinson Cano
David Ortiz

He won't turn 26 until August. Words simply can't express the greatness we are seeing right now.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #83
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Yadi has an old school personality. Nothing wrong with his POV in my opinion. Also, because it is Yadi it would not get brought up in public if they were in the same clubhouse however if it were Adam Jones and a different player it could be an issue. I have a lot of respect for Yadi and how he plays the game.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-24-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #84
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have a lot of respect for Yadi and how he plays the game.

And his whine caused me to lose all neutrality on him, and leave me actively wishing him ill. In turn that makes me more anti-Cardinals, more anti-baseball, less willing to watch, less engaged with the sport.

Screw him, screw his little island, and screw this stupid WBC bullshit.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #85
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Is baseball season over yet? It already feels like it's been going on forever.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #86
Easy Mac

I heard there were Puerto Ricans dancing in the streets of New York before the game, clearly confident they were going to win. I think I saw it in the Washington Post or someone told me.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #87
Logan
Head Coach

Molina quite literally crushed my dreams in the 2006 NLCS. Reversed all the momentum from, and basically reduced to a footnote, what I believe to be at worst a top 3 play in the history of baseball especially in light of how it would have been viewed had Molina not won the game for the Cards.

I hope he is and continues to be just fine.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #88
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
{shrug}

I'm with Jon in this one Chief, and Rajon Rondo agrees with us.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #89
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Molina quite literally crushed my dreams in the 2006 NLCS. Reversed all the momentum from, and basically reduced to a footnote, what I believe to be at worst a top 3 play in the history of baseball especially in light of how it would have been viewed had Molina not won the game for the Cards.

I hope he is and continues to be just fine.

Please refresh my memory. Which play are you referring to?
Old 03-25-2017, 09:59 AM   #90
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Please refresh my memory. Which play are you referring to?

2006 NLCS Game 7: Endy Chavez makes a spectacular catch - YouTube
Old 03-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #91
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

New York Mets closer Jeurys Familia gets 15-game suspension

My question -- which really isn't baseball so you're welcome to ignore it I guess -- is that after reading that article ... what the hell was Familia guilty of exactly? Being male?
Old 03-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #92
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
New York Mets closer Jeurys Familia gets 15-game suspension

My question -- which really isn't baseball so you're welcome to ignore it I guess -- is that after reading that article ... what the hell was Familia guilty of exactly? Being male?

From the article:

Quote:
However, Rivas subsequently told authorities that the scratch was caused by their 1-year-old son, and the facial mark was caused by pressing on her own head. Two knives found on the floor by police were not intimidating to her, Rivas added. Rivas told authorities her husband wedged them in a door while barricading himself in a bathroom following an argument.

"With all that has been written and discussed regarding this matter, it is important that it be known that I never physically touched, harmed or threatened my wife that evening," Familia said in a statement issued Wednesday. "I did, however, act in an unacceptable manner and am terribly disappointed in myself. I am alone to blame for the problems of that evening.

Let's just say, I don't believe a word of what Rivas said. She's totally covering for her husband. I think MLB knows it, Familia knows it, but he's just taking the 15 games as long as the specifics don't get out.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:53 PM   #93
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Deadspin has some extra info:

Mets Closer Jeurys Familia Suspended 15 Games After Domestic Violence Arrest

Quote:
Prosecutors in Fort Lee, New Jersey, declined to bring charges against Familia, in cooperation with his wife, Bianca Rivas, who requested the case be dismissed. On the night of Oct. 31, Rivas called 911 and said her husband was “drunk” and “going crazy.” When officers responded to the call, they noted that Rivas had a scratch on her chest and a bruise on her cheek. It was later determined that the scratch on Rivas’s chest was caused by their son, not by Familia.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:57 PM   #94
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

In what world is wedging knives into a door after an argument "being male?"

Granted, that's one of the worst lies to cover for an abusive asshole by a beaten wife ever, but even if it is somehow true it's not remotely in the realm of standard male behavior.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 03-29-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:59 PM   #95
Logan
Head Coach

Wish he got more games, for baseball reasons too.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #96
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
In what world is wedging knives into a door after an argument "being male?"

I have to admit that I misread the part about the knives. I got how they could be on the floor & not be considering intimidating, didn't even get how that was part of anything.

When it then mentioned being wedged in the doorway, I read that as being "they" (the humans, ala Archie Bunker & Mike Stivic) got wedged in a doorway.

So that at least makes more sense now.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #97
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

But I think my point might be missed somewhere here.

This is the commissioner's statement, right
Quote:
"The evidence reviewed by my office does not support a determination that Mr. Familia physically assaulted his wife, or threatened her or others with physical force or harm"

So, basically, there's no evidence that he assaulted her, or threatened anyone with violence or harm. I mean, that's what that says there, right?

It's MLB, they don't have the standard that a court of law would have. They could, for example, consider the original call/complaint as "evidence" if they want to. Yet they make a plain statement: "the evidence does not support ..." yet, hey why not let's just suspend him anyway.

It's the seeming paradox of their own words vs their action that I'm getting at here.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:20 AM   #98
Logan
Head Coach

Once the woman claims that the physical evidence came from her one year old son and her pressing on her own face, there's really not much left they could go on.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:25 AM   #99
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
But I think my point might be missed somewhere here.

This is the commissioner's statement, right

So, basically, there's no evidence that he assaulted her, or threatened anyone with violence or harm. I mean, that's what that says there, right?

It's MLB, they don't have the standard that a court of law would have. They could, for example, consider the original call/complaint as "evidence" if they want to. Yet they make a plain statement: "the evidence does not support ..." yet, hey why not let's just suspend him anyway.

It's the seeming paradox of their own words vs their action that I'm getting at here.

I think they're trying to say "do not even put yourself in a position that could be construed as domestic abuse."

Whether or not that is a good stance...who knows.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #100
frnk55
High School Varsity

opening day boys and girls! Time to grow some roots and veg out watching some ball. My world series champion pick is going to the Twins. Joe Mauer will carry them
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote