Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
WVUFAN
College Starter

College Hoops 2k8

Does anyone know (aside from Ebay) anywhere that I can buy this game? Gamestop doesn't have it, either online nor at the stores in the area.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I would assume your best bet would be ebay.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
MJ4H
Coordinator

I bought it recently at a used game store in my area called Vintage Stock. They had it used for $5.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Good luck, it looks like this game has reached classic status. I see it on Amazon for over $100 for the 360 version.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I still have it. Great game. I would call around to the Gamestops in your area to see if they have a used copy. If not, ebay, but I'm sure the price will go up with the tournament coming up.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Why is this game so damn valuable all of a sudden? I bought a copy of it a year ago used off amazon.com for 8 bucks. Could have picked it up for even less, but I went with a "very good" copy over good or acceptable. Now its nearly 40 bucks at a minimum?

Almost thinking I should cash in.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Why is this game so damn valuable all of a sudden? I bought a copy of it a year ago used off amazon.com for 8 bucks. Could have picked it up for even less, but I went with a "very good" copy over good or acceptable. Now its nearly 40 bucks at a minimum?

Almost thinking I should cash in.
I saw several of these a year or so ago for under $5 on ebay. From a gaming standppint, this is the definitive console college basketball game. There are none greater and if you want to play a college basketball game, the best is really the only option.

I will never let my ps3 version go...well, unless someone were to really offer me $100.
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
MJ4H
Coordinator

I literally bought mine like 2 weeks ago for $5. Does someone want to pay me $100 for it? I think there was another copy there.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Apparently there are 2012 rosters out there for it. Might have to fire this up this week for a tourney run through.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Apparently there are 2012 rosters out there for it. Might have to fire this up this week for a tourney run through.

Oh, this is nice. I may have to follow your lead.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
rjolley
College Starter

Yeah, CH2K8 is considered THE college basketball game for consoles and for some was the basketball game until NBA2K11 came out. Hopefully, 2K Sports will produce one again soon.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
bhlloy
Coordinator

With all those kickstarter projects going on, how much do you think people would raise to have 2k produce one of these without the license? I don't care too much about the courts and jerseys, and the community could take care of rosters.

Damn, this game was great and this thread will have me digging it up I'm sure.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #13
rjolley
College Starter

I've had the same thought. I know I'd throw in some money for it.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I've had the same thought. I know I'd throw in some money for it.

Big plus 1. Still playing 2k8, but I'd love to see the NBA 2k11 (or 12 maybe, I haven't tried that game) engine with the dynasty mode of College Hoops 2k8.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
ColtCrazy
College Starter

360 servers were finally back up. I downloaded (I think the name was) Bill Griffey Jr's 2011-12 rosters because they came up a couple of times on you tube videos. Played one game as IU and beat Winthrop by one point (I'm not very good at it, forgot how tough the game was).

Looks like a solid set of rosters, at least from IU. Creek would need to be benched since he was hurt, but Zeller, Hulls, and others looked spot on.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #16
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Where do I go on 360 to be able to download rosters? I've been messing with stuff and can't seem to find the option. Thanks!
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #17
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
Does anyone know (aside from Ebay) anywhere that I can buy this game? Gamestop doesn't have it, either online nor at the stores in the area.

What system? If you are looking for a PS3 version let me know. Will never part ways with my 360 version.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #18
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

I still break this game out once a year or so and run a legacy. Tailing off on probably my most successful one ever right now. Back-to-back National Titles with Nevada, then a 3-year stint as USC where I won the NT year one but only stayed a couple more years before returning to the Wolfpack and getting another NT in my 4th year back.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #19
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

This made me throw the game in again and I am reminded of just how badly I suck at this game.

Any recommendations?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #20
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Motion is key in this game. The basic sets (quick screen, quick post up) aren't very effective. If you have a good PG/C you can get some traction out of pick and roll though.

It seems I'm most effective at an up tempo game by trying to get open looks before the defense gets set. I suck at the half court game. I think the plays help with that, but I have yet to run them with any type of success. Mismatches help as well, Zeller was very good against the interior Winthrop defense.

Amazes me how well the game play holds up after a few years.

Oh, someone asked about downloading the rosters. I think it's under resources. There's a part for 2k Share and I found the roster file under top 100 files.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #21
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Does EA hold an exclusive NCAA license on basketball too? What's the hold up?
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #22
ColtCrazy
College Starter

From what I read, the NCAA set a certain amount for the license. Only EA decided to pay for it, and 2k backed out. EA's title wasn't profitable, so they ended up stopping there's a couple years later.

I would think there'd be a market for a college basketball game, especially if you released it just before the tourney, with updated rosters, and good game play. But oh well...
Old 03-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #23
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah from what I gathered it was largely the amount required for the licence, combined with how poorly the game sells (in comparison to the college football and pro games). There just sadly doesn't seem to be much of a market for college basketball games, which is why there aren't currently any on the market.

I am shocked that EA hasn't released one however, as this is one area they can get one up on the 2K team basketball-wise.