Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Prepping for the GRE

I've been very happy to date with my career progress, but I'll be dramatically limiting my ability to move up, or even sideways, without a masters and that means taking the GRE. I've traditionally done very well on standardized tests, but it's been 8 years since I've had to take some for my teaching credential and I have a particular program I want to get into and would (obviously) like the best GRE possible.

I'm particularly concerned about reviewing the math concepts, as it's been a while since I've done anything beyond basic algebra. I'm willing to spend some money to buy a particularly good review book/software. Anyone have any recommendations?

Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
SportsDino
College Prospect

I did all right with the Kaplan book + software. Don't just blow through all the tests, study the lesson sections and drill vocabularly heavilly and if you still do horrible on the early test, drill again.

Math is easily possible to get a full score with just high school level math knowledge. The verbal is much tougher, even if you are normally oriented that way (much harder questions, more easy to mess up).
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Same here (Kaplan). Also bought a 2nd book with nothing but practice exams. Definitely worth it. I had no trouble with the math stuff, but the verbal and essay helps, suggestions, and examples were definitely worth it. The software gives you 1 free scored test exam, or at least it did when I bought it (2005??).

Last edited by dacman : 03-30-2012 at 04:51 PM.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
I did all right with the Kaplan book + software. Don't just blow through all the tests, study the lesson sections and drill vocabularly heavilly and if you still do horrible on the early test, drill again.

Math is easily possible to get a full score with just high school level math knowledge. The verbal is much tougher, even if you are normally oriented that way (much harder questions, more easy to mess up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post
Same here (Kaplan). Also bought a 2nd book with nothing but practice exams. Definitely worth it. I had no trouble with the math stuff, but the verbal and essay helps, suggestions, and examples were definitely worth it. The software gives you 1 free scored test exam, or at least it did when I bought it (2005??).

I used Kaplan as well and took the test this summer.

However, all of the above, unless someone has taken the test since since August of 2011, is irrelevant. They've COMPLETELY changed the test since then. I squeezed in in July.

That being said, I think you still can't go wrong with Kaplan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
SportsDino
College Prospect

I took it several years ago, so I may be out of date.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Grover
Pro Starter

As a free resource to help with supplementing some of the ideas, I'd recommend using Khan Academy along with anything you purchase.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
As a free resource to help with supplementing some of the ideas, I'd recommend using Khan Academy along with anything you purchase.

I'm working on a math assessment test and Khan was the big recommendation for it.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestions. Khan Academy is a great idea and one I feel silly for not having thought of myself.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote