Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2024, 01:52 PM   #201
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

This is how you make an announcement. LFG!
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 04:32 PM   #202
GrantDawg

The first "agree to a contract and change his mind" goes to Will Lutz. He agreed to terms with Jacksonville, but then resigned with the Vroncos

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2024, 04:53 PM   #203
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Falcons underachieved with a shitty coach and shittier QB.

They’ve replaced them both.

The details of how good Kirk cousins actually is obscures the fact that they are fixing obvious problems
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 05:14 PM   #204
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Some fans undergo amputations after frigid Chiefs playoff game against Dolphins | AP News
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 05:35 PM   #205
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Brian Burns to the Giants via trade
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 05:38 PM   #206
GrantDawg

The Panthers turned down two first and second for him last year to get a second and a fith this year. They are really bad at this.

Old 03-11-2024, 05:50 PM   #207
RainMaker
General Manager

Thanking the Panthers for Caleb Williams.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:59 PM   #208
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I'm not convinced that the Bears take Williams. Based on recent history, my gut says Poles will trade down. Given teams' QB situations he might just keep Fields as he would be lucky to get a 3rd rounder now. And he's not exactly lighting the world on fire in FA. Needed a safety so I guess Byard is fine, but Swift and Bates? Maybe he's going hard after Hunter. If Poles doesn't make a big splash you can bet he's going to trade down to get more picks to fill spots.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:19 PM   #209
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
I'm not convinced that the Bears take Williams. Based on recent history, my gut says Poles will trade down. Given teams' QB situations he might just keep Fields as he would be lucky to get a 3rd rounder now. And he's not exactly lighting the world on fire in FA. Needed a safety so I guess Byard is fine, but Swift and Bates? Maybe he's going hard after Hunter. If Poles doesn't make a big splash you can bet he's going to trade down to get more picks to fill spots.

If he doesn't start making splashes, he should be out the door with Eberflus.

Still pretty sure they're taking Caleb. You just don't get the chance to take a QB of that caliber often. I like Fields to an extent, but I don't think he's the special kind of QB who can win you championships. And the Bears are never going to have the coaching that can develop him.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:19 PM   #210
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Thanking the Panthers for Caleb Williams.

I think Williams is a bust at the next level and his dad will be a nightmare
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:22 PM   #211
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Him being drafted by the Bears guarantees that but I don't know what other options the Bears have.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:27 PM   #212
rjolley
College Starter

I can accept either direction that the Bears take at QB so I've stopped really caring about it and am looking at other positions. Byard and Swift are fine, but if Bates is the best of what we're adding at C, whoever is behind him will be under pressure yet again.

Last edited by rjolley : 03-11-2024 at 07:28 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:29 PM   #213
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
If he doesn't start making splashes, he should be out the door with Eberflus.

Still pretty sure they're taking Caleb. You just don't get the chance to take a QB of that caliber often. I like Fields to an extent, but I don't think he's the special kind of QB who can win you championships. And the Bears are never going to have the coaching that can develop him.
Fields is a great athlete who is an average QB on his best day. I think Poles was banking on MIN re-signing Cousins and ATL would be desperate enough to give up a 2nd round pick plus a day 3. Oops. It also means that teams that want to move up can deal for the 8th pick which many GMs might think is a better option than Fields. Williams is the "safe" pick; if he busts Poles can argue that he did his homework and the general consensus is that Williams was considered to be generational. He will still lose his job, of course. I think Caleb will be above average in the NFL, but not a Tier 1. Then there's his management team. That's the real headache in this decision.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:34 PM   #214
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I can accept either direction that the Bears take at QB so I've stopped really caring about it and am looking at other positions. Byard and Swift are fine, but if Bates is the best of what we're adding at C, whoever is behind him will be under pressure yet again.

I really don't understand why they're bargain shopping on the offensive line when it's clearly been a huge issue for years. Guess things never change in Chicago. At some point a GM has to commit to improving the offensive line.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:43 PM   #215
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Make that two of us.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:25 PM   #216
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Can someone explain what the issues are with his dad? I have heard he is handling Caleb's draft in a similar way as Archie Manning''s handling of Eli's and that has been seen as a positive. On the other hand, I have heard he is the NFL's version of Lavar Ball and that is obviously seen as a negative. I had to google "Caleb Williams father" to find out what he looks like and that his first name is Carl. That alone makes the comparison to Lavar Ball seem outlandish.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 10:33 PM   #217
Swaggs
Coordinator

I’ve seen a handful of former NFL players suggest that Williams has the tools, but that his game is not going to be anywhere near NFL ready this season. Ryan Leaf, who is surprisingly insightful as an analyst, talked a lot about him in a recent Dan Patrick interview
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM   #218
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dola…. Looking over the free agent running backs and this seems like a particularly loaded class at that position.

I know they are starting to come off the board and some of them are high mileage, but Barkley, Henry, Jacobs, Ekeler, and just released Joe Mixon all seem like they could be starting upgrades for a lot of teams. Then Pollard, Dobbins, Swift, Singletary, and Edwards-Helaire all seem like potentially good adds to split Carrie’s with.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 11:05 PM   #219
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Can someone explain what the issues are with his dad? I have heard he is handling Caleb's draft in a similar way as Archie Manning''s handling of Eli's and that has been seen as a positive. On the other hand, I have heard he is the NFL's version of Lavar Ball and that is obviously seen as a negative. I had to google "Caleb Williams father" to find out what he looks like and that his first name is Carl. That alone makes the comparison to Lavar Ball seem outlandish.

The short of it is most of the negative comments that have come from Williams' camp, not wanting to play in Chicago, wanting ownership, going back to college if he doesn't go where he wants, etc, have been attributed to the dad. From reports, he's a protective dad who's trying to steer his son to glory.

Caleb, on the other hand, has been said to have his own voice and has not corroborated any of the comments made by his dad. It appears that he'd like to play for the Commanders, but h's more interested in going #1 and winning. He'll play where he's drafted.

The dad is more Lavar-lite; a little bit more than your average dad and probably more akin to protective dads of top high school talents going into college.

Last edited by rjolley : 03-11-2024 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:47 AM   #220
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I can hardly believe I just read that if you only count the guarantees in Kirk Cousins new contract, he's now made $3M less than Tom Brady in lifetime earnings.

I know Brady took a lot of team-friendly deals, but that's just a ridiculous fact.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:37 AM   #221
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
The short of it is most of the negative comments that have come from Williams' camp, not wanting to play in Chicago, wanting ownership, going back to college if he doesn't go where he wants, etc, have been attributed to the dad. From reports, he's a protective dad who's trying to steer his son to glory.

Caleb, on the other hand, has been said to have his own voice and has not corroborated any of the comments made by his dad. It appears that he'd like to play for the Commanders, but h's more interested in going #1 and winning. He'll play where he's drafted.

The dad is more Lavar-lite; a little bit more than your average dad and probably more akin to protective dads of top high school talents going into college.

Thanks. There is no such thing as Lavar-lite though.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-12-2024, 09:41 AM   #222
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I can hardly believe I just read that if you only count the guarantees in Kirk Cousins new contract, he's now made $3M less than Tom Brady in lifetime earnings.

I know Brady took a lot of team-friendly deals, but that's just a ridiculous fact.

Much like Darrelle Revis, Cousins is an absolute legend at the bank. Good for him.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:40 AM   #223
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Darnell Mooney gets 3 years, $39M from Atlanta. Seems like a big overpay.
Old 03-12-2024, 12:37 PM   #224
Thomkal
Head Coach

After announcing that they were not going to resign Joe mixon, they traded him to Houston. Looks like Derrick henry is going to sign with baltimore. quite the rb rodeo so far-lots of teams not resigning and they are signing almost immediately elsewhere
Old 03-12-2024, 12:39 PM   #225
molson
General Manager

These RBs can revitalize the market for their position if they can perform on these new deals. If they're all washed, it will sink them even further.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 12:46 PM   #226
Thomkal
Head Coach

In another kind of free agent deal, Jacksonville employee Amit Patel gets 6 and a half years in prison from stealing from the team-no dollar amounts on that new contract
Old 03-12-2024, 01:04 PM   #227
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
I really don't understand why they're bargain shopping on the offensive line when it's clearly been a huge issue for years. Guess things never change in Chicago. At some point a GM has to commit to improving the offensive line.
I've been thinking about this and you're right -- things don't change because Bears ownership is cheap. I doubt that Poles has the go-ahead to spend big even though they have plenty of cap space. Maybe a big signing is in the offing, but I doubt that their going to pay Hunter the $30M per that he wants. I don't want Chase Young or Clowney. And there is some talk about Josh Uche. Um, no thanks unless he's at a bargain price for 2 years or less and the Bears have plans for an edge rusher in the draft. Why does this year feel like the same old, same old?
Old 03-12-2024, 01:15 PM   #228
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
In another kind of free agent deal, Jacksonville employee Amit Patel gets 6 and a half years in prison from stealing from the team-no dollar amounts on that new contract

Heh! I saw somewhere it was reported as 6 yrs/$22 million with $21 million in restitution. None of the restitution is guaranteed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 01:18 PM   #229
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So far, the Lions have traded a 3rd round pick for oft-injured CB Carlton Davis and two 6th rounders and signed DE Marcus Davenport.

I mean, those are definitely the positions that need to be addressed in free agency, I am just not sure these players are sufficient upgrades. The Lions window is now!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 01:21 PM   #230
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

...my reaction, too. A team has had him on the roster and openly complained "they don't have anyone for our young QB to throw to."

Now someone backs up more money/yr for him than any of the parade of RBs we're seeing out there? I'm not feeling it. I'd be thinking of Mooney as a 1y/6m sort of guy, closer to, say, the DJ Chark tier.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 01:30 PM   #231
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Heh! I saw somewhere it was reported as 6 yrs/$22 million with $21 million in restitution. None of the restitution is guaranteed.

Old 03-12-2024, 02:06 PM   #232
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

I smell another The Longest Yard remake!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 02:15 PM   #233
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Reports are that the Bears have signed TE Gerald Everett, 2 years $12M. They needed a TE2 but just a another meh signing. It appears that Poles is trying to fill roster holes at bargain prices which indicates to me now that he's taking a QB with the 1.1 pick. Let's see how many of these get filled.

Last edited by weegeebored : 03-12-2024 at 02:19 PM.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 02:42 PM   #234
GrantDawg

Quote:
quote=QuikSand;3428345]...my reaction, too. A team has had him on the roster and openly complained "they don't have anyone for our young QB to throw to."

Now someone backs up more money/yr for him than any of the parade of RBs we're seeing out there? I'm not feeling it. I'd be thinking of Mooney as a 1y/6m sort of guy, closer to, say, the DJ Chark tier.[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing. I think they are going off this:

edit: Thinking about it, this is that stat that probably explains why Justin Fields has generated no interest. Fans may have complained about the lack of open targets, but the film is saying they were open, the team lacked a quarterback that could throw to them.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-12-2024 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 03:20 PM   #235
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:

This is part of the reason I don't want Williams. If we can get picks/player and have a shot at one of the rookie Cs and more rookie offensive linemen, then let's do it and get the roster together for the next hot QB that we can trade up for.

Like weegee said, this is starting to feel like more of the same which is not how I expected to feel coming into this season.

Last edited by rjolley : 03-12-2024 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 03:29 PM   #236
GrantDawg

Crazy info: there was not a single GM at Bo Nix's Pro Day, and only one Head Coach. The Bears Matt Eberflus was there with a large Bear staff contingent.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:02 PM   #237
weegeebored
High School Varsity

They were more likely there to see C Powers-Johnson than Nix.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:12 PM   #238
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
This is part of the reason I don't want Williams. If we can get picks/player and have a shot at one of the rookie Cs and more rookie offensive linemen, then let's do it and get the roster together for the next hot QB that we can trade up for.

Like weegee said, this is starting to feel like more of the same which is not how I expected to feel coming into this season.

It's just such a bizarre strategy. Every 4-5 years the Bears draft a QB, give him a shit coach, then throw him behind one of the worst offensive lines in the league. Then they can't figure out why the guy was a bust.

The team is now spending it's cap space on another running back (they had 2 decent ones) and a backup tight end. Just insane.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:38 PM   #239
GrantDawg

I didn't think anybody was seriously thinking the Bears would take Nix.

Old 03-12-2024, 04:48 PM   #240
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
This is how you make an announcement. LFG!

Like his presentation style! Wonder if he can get sued for it?

Really no idea how well this will work out. But kinda glad it takes us out of the draft-rookie-QB-roulette.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 06:04 PM   #241
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Crazy info: there was not a single GM at Bo Nix's Pro Day, and only one Head Coach. The Bears Matt Eberflus was there with a large Bear staff contingent.

I'm not saying it's the case here, but it's not unheard of for teams to try and mask their interest in players, particularly given that teams may have felt they saw what they needed to at the combine. Admittedly though, it would be odd for all teams to come to this conclusion.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 06:40 PM   #242
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Raiders signing Gardner Minshew is awesome. The gang at bob and tom will love that considering Chick and ACe are Raiders fans.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 06:42 PM   #243
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I dunno about falcons and Kirk Cousins....I think he'll bust and get injured again.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:49 PM   #244
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I'm not saying it's the case here, but it's not unheard of for teams to try and mask their interest in players, particularly given that teams may have felt they saw what they needed to at the combine. Admittedly though, it would be odd for all teams to come to this conclusion.

They're there for Jackson Powers-Johnson. Talk is if one of the top wide receivers isn't on the board at 9, the Bears would trade back and grab him to play Center.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:52 PM   #245
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Danielle Hunter to Houston, 2 years $49M. The Bears could have afforded that. Does "Bargain Bin" Poles have a clue?
Old 03-12-2024, 06:56 PM   #246
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Russell Wilson signing a league minimum deal with the Steelers for one year.
"NO PROMISES" about whether he'll he'll even start or not as Pickett is still there.

I mean he's still got millions from the broncos so at this point it's all just fun on a bun.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:58 PM   #247
GrantDawg

Word is that the Commanders actually offered Hunter more money. Teams like Atlanta also offered him more years. He took a little bit less money to go home to Texas.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:03 PM   #248
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

so like all those Justin Fields to Raiders rumours are kinda false now that Minshew is there. Bears running out of places to trade him. Chargers rumoured.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:16 PM   #249
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Danielle Hunter to Houston, 2 years $49M. The Bears could have afforded that. Does "Bargain Bin" Poles have a clue?

Need backup safeties and tight ends. Who cares about the trenches?
Old 03-12-2024, 07:22 PM   #250
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I dunno about falcons and Kirk Cousins....I think he'll bust and get injured again.

yeah after seeing what happened this last season to Aaron Rodgers and the jets, I would have thought twice about Cousins