Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-27-2023, 10:46 PM   #1
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

WCW 2001: From the Ashes

2001. The year that changed professional wrestling forever. It was the year in which Vince McMahon finally put an end to the Monday Night Wars and put his biggest nemesis, World Championship Wrestling, out of business for good by buying the company for $2.5 million. A truly memorable era in pro wrestling was over. But what if WCW could have somehow survived beyond March 26, 2001?

I will be playing as the head booker for World Championship Wrestling in TEW 2020 with the 'Goodbye and Goodnight?' mod and picking up six weeks later with the much-anticipated reset of the company at the Big Bang pay-per-view. There is no complicated backstory. I’ll play it as if Eric Bischoff was able to buy the company. My first order of business will be to work out as many deals as I can with various networks around the world. The pickings will be slim as WCW’s popularity is way down at this time. The second order of business will be to look at the list of unemployed workers and workers not tied to exclusive contracts in other companies and see if any of them can help WCW.

WCW is rated a ‘Small’ company. I am at 45 popularity in all regions of America except the Southeast and Southwest (WCW’s new location of operations) where we are at 55. In order to get to ‘Medium’ size, I will need to achieve 59 popularity in the Southwest and maintain at least a 35 in either the Great Lakes, Mid Atlantic, or Mid South regions. In addition, I cannot run house shows because WCW is too small. I will have to hit ‘Medium’ for that to happen. I am able to sign workers to exclusive written deals. The mod has WCW at $10,000,000. Not sure if that is realistic at that time. To make the dynasty more of a challenge, I’ll cut it down to $5,000,000 and maybe I won’t go bankrupt in the next three months. If I do, all of this was a waste.

WCW is also rated as having 45% prestige and 20% momentum. Lots of work to do to be respectable again with the incredible star power of the WWF at work.

**I will be posting some of the events leading up to the Big Bang on May 6 such as press releases from WCW, the dirt sheets, roster decisions, finances, etc to give an overall look at the state of the company leading up to WCW Version 2.0. Great to be back on here after a hiatus.

Last edited by tucking fypo : 04-28-2023 at 07:31 AM.
tucking fypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 07:30 AM   #2
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

March 28, 2001
From the dirt sheets

Sources inside the World Wrestling Federation say that Vince McMahon is furious and almost inconsolable after his attempted purchase of WCW fell through. It has been said that considering WCW's perilous financial situation Vince's next move will be to sign as many wrestlers as possible that are not under written contracts so WCW will, in his own words, 'die a slow death'.
Old 04-28-2023, 11:23 AM   #3
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Awesome, I'll be following!
Old 04-28-2023, 08:15 PM   #4
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

April 6, 2001
Press release from WCW.com

--Tickets are on sale now for the return of World Championship Wrestling with the Big Bang pay-per-view on Sunday, May 6. WCW owner Eric Bischoff has announced that the event will be offered through iN DEMAND on pay-per-view. The show will originate from Las Vegas.

--It has been confirmed that the WCW World Title, the United States title, the Cruiserweight title, and the World Tag Team titles will be on the line at Big Bang.

--In addition, WCW will stipulate that no one can hold two of the company’s belts at the same time for the sake of competition. Booker T has notified WCW he plans to defend the world title at Big Bang and will forfeit the United States title.

I will deactivate the cruiserweight tag team titles until I can get, at the least, a two-hour show OR a second show for an eventual brand split. I will also look to bring back the World TV title in the near future and keep that exclusive to those workers that are not perceived as major stars.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:38 PM   #5
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

April 10, 2001
Press release from WCW.com

World Championship Wrestling has announced a permanent move of their base of operations to Las Vegas. Part of the company will also be based out of Los Angeles. NWA Wildside will still maintain their headquarters in Atlanta.

The first few months will see all shows based out of the Southwest, particularly in Las Vegas. When things improve, I will hold the pay-per-views in larger arenas throughout the Southwest region and move the Nitro shows around California, Arizona, Nevada, and Utah. For right now, Las Vegas is the center of WCW’s attention. I will likely hit the Southeast in the fall for two or three shows where WCW retains good popularity. I do plan on holding the Great American Bash in Los Angeles or Anaheim. Down the road, Starrcade 2001 will be the most important pay-per-view since Starrcade ‘97 and will be held in the Southwest, hopefully at a very large venue.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:31 AM   #6
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

April 13, 2001
From press reports

WCW owner Eric Bischoff has announced that ESPN2 has agreed to a six-month contract to show the WCW flagship wrestling program, Nitro, on Monday nights. It has been reported that Bischoff was seeking a longer deal but ESPN executives hesitated, instead wanting WCW to prove themselves in what looks like a wait-and-see approach. Nitro will return on Monday, May 7—one night after the Big Bang pay-per-view.

Because of the near crash of WCW and our company size (Small), ESPN2 is limiting me to a 90-minute show. I’m sure the jump to ‘Medium’ size would help in my efforts to have a two-hour show. The 90-minute show will also force me to primarily use the stars and major stars. The product requirements have me with longer matches with few, if any, four or five-minute squashes. This basically means I will have five or six matches on the show. Angles will be heavy on the stars, major stars, and the well-known at first. If/When I get to ‘Medium’, I’m pretty sure the change to a two-hour show will not be a huge hurdle.
Old 04-29-2023, 10:58 PM   #7
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

ROSTER DECISIONS
---I release Sid Vicious, much to the delight of his brother in scissors, Arn Anderson. I also release The Limo Driver (Ice Train), Miss Jones, Jim Duggan, Cash, Brian Adams, Brian Clarke, Road Warrior Animal, and road agent Johnny Ace; all at a total cost of $913,200. All of those releases were negative influences in the locker room, except for Ice Train. This is a massive cost but a lower backstage rating and numerous negative influences would affect show ratings, other workers, and delay the immediate goal of getting to ‘Medium’ size by the end of June before the Great American Bash in July. After the releases and some more perks being given, such as a masseuse and chiropractor being provided and transport and hotels being organized, the backstage rating improves to a respectable 71%.

---The major problem backstage will likely be Kevin Nash and his ‘scumbag’ personality. He is the only extremely negative influence while the remaining negative influences are only mild in nature. I don’t know what to do with him anyway. He is aging at 41 and has a creative control clause in his $114,200 per month contract. Who knows if another world title run is in him. The creative control is a huge roadblock for me in getting him many, if any, world title shots. I will need to put him in some other worthwhile feuds.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:26 AM   #8
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

April 20, 2001
From WCW.com

A new United States champion will be crowned at Big Bang via a 15-man over the top rope battle royal. Participants in the battle royal will be released Tuesday morning on wcw.com
Old 05-02-2023, 09:48 AM   #9
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

April 24, 2001
From WCW.com

WCW has announced the card for Big Bang on Sunday, May 6. In addition, the participants in the United States title battle royal have been named.

WCW World Heavyweight Title, Triple Threat Match
Booker T (c) vs Qualifier #1 vs Qualifier #2

World Title Qualifying Match #1
Jeff Jarrett vs Diamond Dallas Page

World Title Qualifying Match #2
Sting vs Scott Steiner

The winners of the qualifying matches will face Booker T in a triple threat match for the WCW championship.

WCW World Tag Team Titles
Sean O’Haire and Chuck Palumbo (c) vs Team Canada (Lance Storm and Mike Awesome)

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Battle Royal
Buff Bagwell, Dustin Rhodes, Ric Flair, Shane Douglas, Bam Bam Bigelow, Rey Misterio, Vampiro, Rick Steiner, Norman Smiley, Kanyon, Konnan, Mark Jindrak, Mike Sanders, Shawn Stasiak, and The Total Package

WCW Cruiserweight Title
Shane Helms vs Triple Threat Winner

WCW Cruiserweight Title Qualification Match, Triple Threat
Kid Romeo vs Elix Skipper vs Jamie Knoble

The winner will face Shane Helms for the title.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:00 AM   #10
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

April 26, 2001
From Eric Bischoff, WCW Owner

World Championship Wrestling is announcing a set of deals to show Nitro and the monthly pay-per-views in addition to our coverage on ESPN2: ADN 40 in Mexico, TSN2 in Canada, Sky Sports USA in the British Isles, and J Sports 1 in Japan. WCW is excited to partner with these networks in the hope that we can create a long-term partnership.

A recap of the TV deals
---FX has agreed to let me cancel the deal I had to show Nitro. Apparently, we did not meet the requirements for the network anyway so they had no problem with us cancelling the contract. There is no penalty for the contract termination. The list of available broadcasters showed me that ESPN2 was willing to negotiate. I signed a 6-month deal with the network and am getting a 30% revenue split, though I will pay $40,000 per episode. A little risky but the ‘Medium’ coverage will help. I am banking on getting to ‘Medium’ size by then.

---I am able to work out a deal to show Nitro with TSN2 in Canada for the next three months. I get a 35% revenue split per show.

---In Mexico, I have signed a deal with ADN 40. The coverage is tiny in all regions. 30% percent revenue split per show.

---Sky Sports USA is the lone carrier available for WCW in the British Isles. It is very small coverage but the deal is for three months and a 40% revenue split.

---I have a little more hope in Japan. J Sports 1 has medium coverage and is a pro wrestling channel. I have 20% revenue split for the next three months.

**No TV deals are available for me in Europe or Oceania.

---On the PPV side, I only have two providers available for deals. In America, iNDEMAND has medium coverage in all regions and is highly pro wrestling. WCW will get a 25% split of the revenue. On the downside, I must pay $37,500 per PPV for this timeslot. In Japan, Samurai! TV says that with a company our size and unpredictability, I will get a 20% split of the revenue and it is small coverage in each of their regions.

---I’ve made short-term deals in the hopes I can get better ones through increasing popularity after the three month period is over. A string of good shows in May and June could get us to ‘Medium’ size.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:55 PM   #11
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

PRODUCTION
I have also lowered some of my production levels to save a little money but still be able to meet the expectations of WCW’s broadcast partners:

Production Values was downgraded to ‘High Quality’ from ‘Majestic’
Majestic - $75,000 per show and $50,000 per month
High Quality - $10,000 per show and $15,000 per month
Saved in May - $295,000

Live Event Experience was downgraded to ‘Large’ from ‘Professional’
Professional - $25,000 per show plus $100,000 per month
Large - $20,000 per show with no monthly expense
Saved in May - $120,000

Broadcast Quality was downgraded to ‘In House’ from ‘Industry Standard’
Industry Standard - $75,000 per month
In House - $7,500 per month
Saved in May - $70,000

Music was downgraded to ‘Licensed’ from ‘Major Licensed’
Major Licensed - $100,000 per month
Licensed - $50,000 per month
Money saved in May - $50,000

The total saved in May by downgrading production for three Nitros and the Big Bang is $535,000. The cost of downgrading all four areas was $27,500 but it will be well worth it when the financial numbers are updated at the end of May. The money saved is a huge number considering the prodigious amount spent on contract releases.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:24 PM   #12
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

April 27, 2001
From the dirt sheets

Sources close to negotiations say that WCW is close to signing two big names to join the company. It is thought that with the 'new' WCW will come changes to their announcing and color commentary but nothing is official as of yet. Considering that Big Bang is only nine days away, the company might look to finalize the contracts within the next four to five days.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:31 AM   #13
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

May 1, 2001
Press Release from Eric Bischoff, WCW Owner

WCW is pleased to announce the signings of Astro Boy, Colt Cabana, David Batista, Kevin Steen, Samoa Joe, Chris Parks, Austin Aries, Giant Singh, Philip Brooks, and John Cena. We think these newest signees have the ability to be WCW’s stars of the future, perhaps but not necessarily as main eventers, but wrestlers who have the potential to become very valuable members of our roster. Our partners at NWA Wildside in Atlanta will give these youngsters valuable experience.
Old 05-03-2023, 01:41 PM   #14
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

May 2, 2001
From WCW.com

World Championship Wrestling has officially announced the signings of Joey Styles and Jerry Lawler to exclusive contracts. The pair will be manning the ringside coverage of Nitro along with Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan. Our longtime announcer, Tony Schiavone, will be in the booth with Styles and Lawler for all WCW pay-per-views, including this Sunday night's Big Bang.
Old 05-03-2023, 01:52 PM   #15
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

In this mod, ECW is barely alive and well. I jump on the opportunity to snag Styles, who was not under an exclusive written contract. With Lawler quitting the WWF in February 2001 and unemployed, I thought it would be a great opportunity to reboot the announcing team. It seems almost logical, I suppose, to make things feel new again with these two signings. Mike Tenay and Scott Hudson's future in WCW borders on precarious. They do, however, have a positive effect, albeit how minimal it might seem, on the backstage area.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:28 PM   #16
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

May 2, 2001
From the dirt sheets

Pro wrestling insiders are praising the recent signings of David Batista, Joel Seanoa, John Cena, and Philip Brooks. The ‘experts’ all agree that these four wrestlers are seen as potentially huge stars while Chris Parks is preparing to debut a unique character to Wildside named Abyss.

---Abyss made an immediate impact in Wildside by winning the vacant NWA World Heavyweight title, defeating Caprice Coleman.

---Speaking of Wildside, I kept Bill Behrens at Wildside to run things while Jerry Jarrett will be the head booker. I do not have any training facilities since the Power Plant shut down in March upon what was thought to be the imminent demise and ultimate sale of WCW to the WWF. I am cautious of starting a training facility with the financial situation unclear.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:35 PM   #17
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

OWNER GOALS
I have received my eight primary goals from WCW owner Eric Bischoff:

1. When the time expires, WCW must have improved upon its worldwide company ranking of #2. This goal is of critical importance and it expires in 1 year, 11 months, and 3 weeks;

2. WCW cannot fall into debt any point over the next 1 year, 11 months, and 3 weeks;

3. Sting must be kept above 71 popularity in America. This is of high importance and expires in 1 year, 11 months, and 3 weeks;

4. Diamond Dallas Page must be kept above 71 overall popularity in America over the next 2 years, 3 months, and 3 weeks;

5. Scott Steiner must be kept above 77 popularity in America over the next 2 years, 7 months, and 3 weeks;

6. I can’t hire or extend the contract of any wrestler who has less than 45 Resilience over the next 1 year, 1 month, and 3 weeks;

7. I can’t hire any wrestler who is classed as having an MMA Crossover style for the next 1 year, 1 month, and 3 weeks;

8. I can’t hire any wrestler who is classed as having a Hardcore style over the next 1 year, 11 months, and 3 weeks.

---I have never had 8 goals to complete before in any save of TEW...ever. The first will be the most challenging, of course, because that would require me to take over the WWF as the top company in the world. Not sure even two years is enough to do that.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:32 AM   #18
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

May 4, 2001
From the dirt sheets

TEW insiders say that WCW has come to a tentative deal with former world champion Bret Hart. It is rumored that Hart will have a prominent backstage presence and could be a candidate to be an on-screen presence if Eric Bischoff decides to go that route. Sources also say that whatever bad blood that exists between the two has disappeared, with both Hart and Bischoff united in the common goal of returning WCW to prominence. Hart retired from in-ring competition just over a year ago due to lingering effects from a concussion caused by a Goldberg kick gone awry at Starrcade 1999.

As an aside, Goldberg will not be back in action until July because of his recovery and rehabilitation from shoulder surgery.
Old 05-04-2023, 12:46 PM   #19
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

Wrestling news from around the 2001 universe
---In huge news from the WWF, Stone Cold Steve Austin is set to be dropped as the face of the company and replaced by The Rock. Company officials think he could be the missing piece of the puzzle that will boost business to a whole new level. Austin is rumored to be most unhappy with this decision.

---Also in the WWF, Spike Dudley has been kicked out of the Dudley Boyz stable, a change brought on for character reasons. In related and unintentionally humorous news, Chris Jericho is the newest member of the Dudley Boyz. It is thought this change was designed to give the group renewed momentum. Fozzy Dudley, perhaps?

---Hulk Hogan has joined the WWF on an 18-month contract worth around $315,000 per month. It is reported that Hogan will have creative control with a 50% merchandise cut. He will be the highest paid wrestler in the world, surpassing The Rock's $210,000 per month contract. His place in the waning days of the Attitude Era should be interesting.

---The Federation's Raw broadcast only netted a 2.34 rating while Smackdown garnered a 2.06 rating. I'm sure that will change once the TEW engine begins being more aggressive in signing free agents. The ratings should be much higher in the coming weeks and months when those deals are finalized.

---Aside from Hogan, the WWF has made many notable signings this week: Warrior, Road Warrior Animal, Nelson Knight, Marc Mero, and Vampire Warrior.
Old 05-04-2023, 10:16 PM   #20
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

FAN PERCEPTIONS
Major Stars
Booker T
Buff Bagwell
Diamond Dallas Page
Dustin Rhodes
Goldberg
Jeff Jarrett
Kanyon
Kevin Nash
Ric Flair
Rick Steiner
Scott Steiner
Sean O’Haire
Shane Douglas
Sting
The Total Package

Stars
Chuck Palumbo
Dustin Rhodes
Konnan
Lance Storm
Mike Awesome
Rey Mysterio, Jr
Shane Douglas

Well Known
Bam Bam Bigelow
Billy Kidman
Chavo Guerrero, Jr
Ernest Miller
Hugh Morrus
Mark Jindrak
Mike Sanders
Norman Smiley
Shawn Stasiak
Vampiro

Recognizable
Alex Wright
Elix Skipper
Jamie Knoble
Kaz Hayashi
Norman Smiley
Shane Helms
Shannon Moore
Yang

Unimportant
Air Paris
AJ Styles
Big Vito
Chris Harris
Evan Karagias
James Storm
Jason Jett
Johnny Swinger
Johnny the Bull
Kid Romeo
Kwee Wee
Lash Leroux
Reno
Old 05-05-2023, 07:11 AM   #21
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

WCW TITLES ROLL CALL

WCW World Heavyweight – 85 prestige
Champion: Booker T, 4X champion, held since March 26, 2001

WCW United States Heavyweight – 66 prestige
Champion: Vacant

WCW World Tag Team – 66 prestige
Champions: Chuck Palumbo and Sean O’Haire, 1X champion, held since January 14, 2001

WCW Cruiserweight – 40 prestige
Champion: Shane Helms, 1X champion, held since March 18, 2001

I check out a feature on TEW 2020 that compares prestiges of title belts, singles and tag, around the world. The WCW World Heavyweight title comes in as the 48th most prestigious title. I suppose another goal by Starrcade is to get the world title prestige up to 88-91. The tag team titles are sitting at #36. The US title sits at #114. The cruiserweight title is way down low at #136. Not good.
Old 05-05-2023, 01:16 PM   #22
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

WCW CREATIVE

Franchise Players
Sting, Booker T, Goldberg, Scott Steiner, Ric Flair

Next Big Things
Reno, Billy Kidman, AJ Styles, Kaz Hayashi, Shannon Moore

Hot Prospects
Reno, AJ Styles, Jason Jett, Billy Kidman

Show Stoppers
Booker T, Rey Mysterio, Ric Flair, Sting, Scott Steiner

Ring Generals
Ric Flair, Rey Mysterio, Sting, Jeff Jarrett, Booker T

This list will surely go through big changes in the next few months. The Next Big Things and Hot Prospects will undergo a major overhaul when the Wildside signees are called up.
Old 05-06-2023, 02:23 PM   #23
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

In the world of wrestling, a giant fell
A storied brand we all knew too well...until

Old 05-06-2023, 07:24 PM   #24
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

WCW Big Bang
May 6, 2001
Las Vegas, Nevada
Attendance: 5,362

---Eric Bischoff makes his way to the ring to start the show to a mixed chorus of cheers and boos. Bischoff welcomes the fans back to World Championship Wrestling. He explains that the goal of the company is to be a competitive alternative for wrestling fans. He also reminds the fans in attendance that there will be a battle royal for the United States title and a triple threat match for the WCW world title. Bischoff says that Monday nights will still be WCW nights and to tune in to ESPN2 tomorrow night for the return of Nitro. (78)

---Scott Steiner comes out and hypes his upcoming world title qualifying match versus Sting. (80) Steiner is then interrupted by Sting, Jeff Jarrett, Diamond Dallas Page as all of them argue. Steiner and Page argue up the aisle as DDP and Jarrett begin their match brawling around ringside. (90)

WCW World Title Qualifying Match #1
---Diamond Dallas Page def. Jeff Jarrett in 12:54 by pinfall with a Diamond Cutter. (78) DDP advances to the triple threat title match in the main event.

---Gene Okerlund is backstage with Kevin Nash. Nash wonders aloud why Bischoff is out running his mouth while he has to sit backstage and watch the entire pay-per-view. Nash says his body is wearing down but he has a couple of good years left in him to make a title run. He warns the WCW roster not to put him in the trash bin yet. (86)

WCW Cruiserweight Title Qualification, Triple Threat Match
---Chavo Guerrero Jr def. Elix Skipper and Jamie Knoble in 10:31 when Chavo pinned Knoble after low-blowing Skipper and holding the tights of Knoble. (60) Chavo advances to face Shane Helms in the Cruiserweight title match.

---Ric Flair comes to the ring to proclaim that WCW still survives and the United States title will be his after the battle royal later in the show. (86)

WCW World Title Qualifying Match #2
---Scott Steiner def. Sting in 15:58 by submission following the Steiner Recliner. (82) Steiner advances to the triple threat title match versus Booker T and DDP.

WCW World Tag Team Title Match
---Team Canada (Lance Storm and Mike Awesome) def. Sean O’Haire and Chuck Palumbo in 12:28 when Awesome pinned Palumbo following an Awesome Bomb. (77) Team Canada wins the WCW World Tag Team titles for the first time. After the match, O’Haire is very displeased with Palumbo as he screams at him as they return up the aisle. (64)

WCW United States Title Match, 15-Man Battle Royal
---Rey Misterio won the United States title battle royal in 19:55 by over the top rope elimination of Ric Flair. (82) Dustin Rhodes and The Total Package were among the final participants. Rick Steiner got the most eliminations over the course of the match. Misterio wins the US title for the first time.

WCW Cruiserweight Title Match
---Shane Helms def. Chavo Guerrero in 12:09 by pinfall following a Vertebreaker. (69) Helms makes his 1st defence of the Cruiserweight title. After the match, Chavo takes a mic and demands a rematch immediately as everyone else ignores him and leaves the ring. (61)

---Booker T is backstage with Mean Gene and hypes the triple threat match versus DDP and Scott Steiner. Booker says he waited his turn to get the title while the old guard pulled the strings. He ends by saying that he will do whatever it takes to keep the big gold belt. (90)

WCW World Heavyweight Title, Triple Threat Match
---Booker T def. Scott Steiner and Diamond Dallas Page in 20:58 following a Harlem Hangover on Page with Steiner outside the ring after a failed Top Rope Frankensteiner on Booker. (88) Booker makes his first defense of the WCW World title.

Show Rating: 86
PPV Rating: 0.51 (257,219 buys)
Old 05-07-2023, 09:24 PM   #25
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

Thoughts
---According to TEW.com, WCW’s Big Bang was a critical success, especially compared to the last two plus years of WCW programming. Reviews have been generally positive but the ‘wrestling experts’ might be understandably cautious considering WCW’s recent history.

---A really great show to start the dynasty. It certainly exceeded my expectations. I will need better matches from the cruiserweights to get consistently solid shows but Helms and Chavo are probably the only ones that can hit the 60 mark right now and will be looked to carry the cruiserweight division for the next few months. I suppose I could use Kidman down the road. Jason Jett is also someone I need to take a look at down the road, perhaps the last part of ‘01 into ‘02.

---A solid main event with Booker T becoming the first champion of the ‘new’ WCW. A lot of ways I can go with the world title chase.

---O’Haire blames Palumbo for losing the tag team titles to Team Canada in a good match. Storm and Awesome could make a solid team while O’Haire may have higher aspirations.

---Rey Rey wins the US title for the first time in what turned out to be a highly graded battle royal...at least for 2001 WCW.

---I make a change in the PPV schedule with the Big Bang in play in 2001. Slamboree, usually in May, will be held in June with the Great American Bash going back to July. I always felt the GAB was a natural July event. I will likely replace Bash at the Beach with a new PPV. I know some historic things have taken place at BATB but it reminds me of Hogan too much so I’m changing it.

---According to the daily TEW newspage, The Rock is now the highest paid wrestler in the world. The game does allow workers to ask for, and sometimes receive, a pay raise. In this case, Rock is now making $385,000 per month. I’m assuming that was the case here. I checked the editor and he does not have wage matching or anything that would explain the enormous pay raise other than asking for it through the game engine.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:27 AM   #26
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

WCW Nitro
Monday, Week 2, May 2001
Las Vegas, Nevada
Attendance: 1,283

---Booker T makes his way out to the ring to start the show with the big gold belt over his shoulders. He hypes his triple threat title defense at the Big Bang. (89) Scott Steiner emerges onto the ramp and says that Booker never pinned him. Steiner challenges Booker to a tag team match with a partner of each of their choice. Steiner says that his brother is his choice while Booker says he will have a partner ready. (85)

---Bam Bam Bigelow def. Johnny Swinger by pinfall in 7:53 with a Greetings from Asbury Park. (51)

---The Total Package w/Jeff Jarrett def. Alex Wright in 8:57 by submission following the Torture Rack. (59) After the match, Luger and Jarrett continue beating down Wright. (65)

---Lance Storm and Mike Awesome are backstage with Gene Okerlund and they hype their world tag team title win at the Big Bang. Storm says that they will show everyone why they are the best tag team in the world. (52)

---Chavo Guerrero Jr def. Kaz Hayashi in 12:31 by pinfall following a Gory Bomb. (62) After the match, Chavo takes a mic and tells the audience that Shane Helms stole his cruiserweight title at Big Bang. (61)

---Buff Bagwell and Sting run into each other backstage. Buff tells Sting that it is too bad he’s not the wrestler he used to be or else he would have the world title belt around his waist. Sting knocks Buff down with a punch and tells Buff to meet him in the ring later. (76)

---Jeff Jarrett w/The Total Package def. Konnan in 7:15 by pinfall with The Stroke. (70) After the match, Jarrett and Luger continue to beat Konnan down in the ring. (68)

---Kevin Nash is sitting in a locker room backstage in street clothes with his head in his hands. He then picks up his bags and exits the locker room with Lawler and Heenan speculating on Nash’s future in WCW. (70)

---Sting def. Buff Bagwell in 12:21 by pinfall following two Scorpion Death Drops. (74) For good measure, Sting pulled Buff up at the two count following the first Death Drop and gave him another one.

---Ric Flair comes down to the ring and takes a mic and starts talking to the crowd. He calls out the US champion, Rey Mysterio. Flair tells Rey that he shouldn’t have left the cruiserweight division and that everyone here knows the battle royal win was a fluke and it shouldn’t be any problem taking the title from him. Rey smiles and tells Flair he is not as enamored with him as most people are around here. (67)

---The Steiner Brothers def. Booker T and Diamond Dallas Page by pinfall in 16:08 after Scott Steiner pinned Booker following a chair shot with referee Nick Patrick occupied outside the ring with Rick and Page. (83)

Show Rating: 80
TV Rating: 0.11 (702,879 viewers)
Old 05-09-2023, 12:54 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

peanut gallery observation about Big Bang: I'm surprised Steiner went over Sting clean in the qualifier

(not questioning it or anything, just noting it as the one thing that jumped out to me as a surprise)
Old 05-09-2023, 10:45 PM   #28
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
peanut gallery observation about Big Bang: I'm surprised Steiner went over Sting clean in the qualifier

(not questioning it or anything, just noting it as the one thing that jumped out to me as a surprise)

I was thinking about how I would have seen it as a fan on a company's returning PPV, which I surely would have ordered. There were three scenarios I had in mind:

1. Steiner wins in a dirty finish via distraction or interference making him appear weaker, perhaps, going into the title match and it likely reminds me of the many times of the nWo type finishes that I got tired of;

2. Steiner wins clean and establishes himself as a legit threat in the title match with the downside of a fan favorite in Sting losing, maybe unexpectedly in the fans' eyes;

3. Matching up Sting vs Jarrett and DDP vs Scott was the other option with Sting, Scott, and Booker in the triple threat.

In the end, I opted for the surprising qualifying win over the fan favorite with the main event with Page graded at an 88. Sting is not done by any means, nor is Page. I have to keep their popularity up and can't afford them losing much anyway.

Last edited by tucking fypo : 05-10-2023 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:56 PM   #29
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

WCW/WWF Head to Head
WWF Raw Show Rating: 88
TV Rating: 2.84
Main Event: The Rock and Undertaker def. The Big Show and Hollywood Hogan (94)

---The attendance for the Nitro shows will be woefully low until I can get my popularity back up in the Southwest region.

---While the show ratings could go my way not far down the road, the important TV rating will not come close to the juggernaut, star-heavy WWF for the rest of this year unless I can get on a bigger network with better coverage throughout.

Backstage Incidents
---Dustin Rhodes almost got into a fight with Kevin Nash after he caused some damage to his rental car and refused to pay for it. I give Dustin a stern warning and he and Dusty are unhappy with the decision.

---Vampiro was brought before the Wrestlers Court, accused of not joining the rest of the locker room for a night out. Judge Flair found him guilty and sentenced him to buy drinks for everyone after the show.

---Chuck Palumbo was also brought before the Wrestlers Court, accused of being an hour late to pick up his assigned travel partner. Judge Flair found him guilty and sentenced him to pay for his travel partner’s meals for the next three shows.

**My backstage rating dips to 68%. Idiots...all of them.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:07 PM   #30
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

News from around the 2001 universe

---WCW has put out a press release saying that they have a new signing that will make his debut next Monday on Nitro from Las Vegas.

---A new tag team has been formed in the WWF, Crash and Burn. The team consists of Al Snow and Steve Blackman. They are expected to get a push in the next few months. The TEW engine did well with that one.

---New Japan has signed former WCW standout Juventud Guerrera to an exclusive written contract worth $82,200 per month. Juvy was fired by WCW last fall after an incident when the company was touring Australia. He’s good but the prior incidents and the price tag turned me away. They also signed Jushin ‘Thunder’ Liger on an exclusive contract for $91,560 per month. Way too steep for me. He told me WCW was too small anyway.

---The WWF has signed the recently released Brian Adams and Bryan Clarke, known as Kronik, to exclusive contracts. They will now be known as Stone Cold Killers. The major eyebrow-raising signing, however, was Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts to an exclusive written contract.

---The WWF has a newly formed tag team consisting of Trish Stratus and Molly Holly under the name Whore Force. Devious and brilliant!!

---WWF Judgment Day saw Stone Cold Steve Austin retain the WWF Championship over The Rock and Kane in a 98 rated match. The show was rated a 92 overall.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:32 PM   #31
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

WCW Nitro
Monday, Week 3, May 2001
Las Vegas, Nevada
Attendance: 1,357

---The show begins with Scott Steiner coming to the ring with a mic. Steiner calls Booker T out for a challenge. As Booker comes out, he is blindsided by Rick Steiner. Booker is taken to the ring, where he is beaten down by both Steiners. (86) Scott Steiner takes a mic and challenges a down and out Booker to face either him or his brother at Slamboree. (82)

---Buff Bagwell def. Billy Kidman in 9:29 by pinfall following the Blockbuster. (57)

---An angry Booker T is shown backstage with Gene Okerlund. Booker says it will take more than a sneak attack to intimidate him. He says that Scott already had his shot and that he will face the ‘dogfaced sucka’ Rick Steiner at Slamboree. (67) Booker also promises it will be the last time Rick actually gets to main event a pay-per-view. (81)

---Back at the announcers desk, Joey Styles, The King, and The Brain tell fans that a huge signee will be making his WCW debut tonight and wonder if he is in the building yet. (71) Styles also hypes Team Canada's world tag team title defense tonight. (68)

---Chavo Guerrero Jr def. Lash Leroux in 9:02 by pinfall following a Frog Splash. (58) After the match, Chavo taunts the fans at ringside as he heads back up the aisle. (62)

---Rey Mysterio makes his out to the ring with the United States title belt. Rey says he will bring honor back to the US title and will take on anyone, anytime including Ric Flair. (54)

---A camera is backstage when it catches DDP and Sting talking of just meeting the newest signee and Sting telling Page that the new signee will make a big splash in Vegas tonight. (84)

---Dustin Rhodes comes to the ring for an interview with Mean Gene. Rhodes hypes his bloodline and says that his sole goal is to win gold in WCW, whether it be singles or tag team. (50)

---Team Canada def. Jung Dragons in 9:35 by submission after Lance Storm applied the Canadian Mapleleaf to Yang. (74) Team Canada makes their first defence of the world tag team titles.

---Ric Flair, Jeff Jarrett, and Lex Luger are talking backstage when a familiar face emerges...Rob Van Dam. Van Dam looks to shake their hands and they begin making fun of him with Flair stating that the extreme philosophy won’t cut it in WCW while Jarrett and Luger laugh. (89) RVD challenges Flair but is rudely blown off saying he has more important things to do, like making DDP submit to the Figure Four in the main event. (79) The camera shows RVD nodding his head while the smile disappears from his face. (73)

---Gene Okerlund is backstage with Diamond Dallas Page. Page says he will not give up in his quest to once again become the world champion and says that Ric Flair will feel the Diamond Cutter tonight. (81)

---Sting def. Kanyon in 10:07 by pinfall following the Scorpion Deathdrop. (78) After the match, Sting takes a mic and says that no one, even Booker T, should be sleeping on him in the world title race. (73)

---Gene Okerlund is backstage with Chavo Guerrero Jr. Chavo laments that he was cheated out of the cruiserweight title at at Big Bang and that he is clearly the top cruiserweight in the world. Shane Helms enters the screen and stands nose to nose with Chavo to the point where they get into an all-out brawl with Mean Gene looking on. (50)

---Diamond Dallas Page def. Ric Flair in 16:54 by pinfall after Rob Van Dam interfered and landed a Five Star Splash on Flair as Nick Patrick was incapacitated. (79) Van Dam smirked at a stunned Flair on his way back up the aisle as the show ended. (74)

Show Rating: 79
TV Rating: 0.11 (702,388 viewers)

Last edited by tucking fypo : 05-15-2023 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-15-2023, 03:37 PM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

fwiw, I pretty much blame you for the fact that I bought TEW 2020 last night.
I'll start by running ROH in the 2011-based Pipebomb mod.

(technically it's both your fault AND my kid's fault ... but he's got enough stress to deal with, I'm gonna stick with blaming you )
Old 05-16-2023, 09:55 PM   #33
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

Gotcha...lol Just wait until you start Death of the Territories. You'll be blaming me alot.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:00 PM   #34
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

Head to Head
WWF Raw Show Rating: 83
Raw TV Rating: 2.92
Main Event: Chris Benoit def. The Goodfather in an 85 rated match

---No Booker or Scotty in the main event or an end of show angle. RVD makes a huge splash by costing Flair the match after being snubbed earlier in the show.

Backstage Incidents
---Kevin Nash was being a jerk backstage, first provoking and then physically attacking Scott Steiner, leading to a fight that had to be broken up by other workers. I choose to fine Nash and nothing noteworthy has resulted from it.

---Dustin Rhodes was caught smoking a lung dart (thanks, @Super70sSports), breaking one of the locker room rules. I choose to give him a stern warning and nothing noteworthy has resulted from it.

---Jamie Knoble was brought before the Wrestlers Court, accused of being an hour late to pick up his assigned travel partner. Judge Flair found him guilty and sentenced him to pay for his travel partner’s meals for the next three shows.
Old 05-17-2023, 01:34 AM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucking fypo View Post
Gotcha...lol Just wait until you start Death of the Territories. You'll be blaming me alot.

I've been through it in an earlier iteration, which is why I went with a more modern start this time.

I was actually tempted, for a bit, to start with one of the current-day mods because I'm not sure I've ever done one.
Old 05-22-2023, 01:24 PM   #36
CrossroadsReb
n00b

Hello, all! This is the artist formerly known as tucking fypo. I've lost all ability to post and reply.. I have tried the proper activation procedures to no avail. To add to that, I lost my aging laptop in a crash. So I created another account on here. Maybe I should have started a new thread but I like the continuity this thread offers. I will have a very brief news update from the week and post the Nitro later on tonight.

Last edited by CrossroadsReb : 05-24-2023 at 01:44 PM.
CrossroadsReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 01:27 PM   #37
CrossroadsReb
n00b

Wrestling news from this week
---The WWF has announced two new signings in Chaz Warrington and Tommy Dreamer. On a side note, Warrington will be known as Beaver Cleavage. I really wanted Dreamer for a couple of ideas I had but he went to the highest bidder.

---WWF Smackdown saw a possible match of the year candidate as The Rock and Undertaker def. Hollywood Hogan and Steve Austin in a match graded at 99. The show itself drew high marks with a 96.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:11 PM   #38
CrossroadsReb
n00b

WCW Nitro
Monday, Week 4, May 2001
Las Vegas, Nevada
Attendance: 1,500

---Booker T comes out to start the show and hypes his upcoming Slamboree match versus Rick Steiner. He says that he decided to wrestle the marginally better of the Steiner brothers, Rick, while a camera is miraculously backstage showing Scott Steiner seething at the comment. (87)

---Jamie Knoble def. Mike Sanders in 10:30 by pinfall following a Trailer Park Leg Drop. (50)

---Joey Styles hypes the six-man tag match in the main event with Flair, The Total Package, and Scott Steiner facing DDP, Rey Mysterio, and Sting. (68)

---Ric Flair comes out to start the show and cuts an intense promo on Rob Van Dam and Rey Mysterio. Flair rages on Van Dam for costing him last week’s match against DDP. (75) Flair turns his attention to Rey, who comes out and tells Flair he should have shown respect and kept his mouth shut last week. Flair challenges Rey to a US title match at Slamboree while hyping their six-man tag match in the main event. (71)

---Ernest Miller and Norman Smiley def. Mark Jindrak and Shawn Stasiak in 10:49 by submission after Smiley’s Norman Conquest on Stasiak. (52)

---Mean Gene is backstage with Rob Van Dam. Gene asks about his actions last Monday night and RVD responds that he just wanted the dirtiest player in the game to know he was here to stay in WCW. (68) RVD then hypes his match versus Shane Douglas later in the show. (70)

---Kevin Nash comes down to the ring with a mic and starts talking to the crowd about his lack of work in the new WCW and is thinking maybe it is time to hang up his boots. The Total Package interrupts and comes down the aisle to join Nash in the ring. Luger tells Nash that no one is buying his schtick and feeling sorry for him. Luger ends by screaming at Nash to get out of the arena because everyone is sick of him anyway. (64)

WCW World Cruiserweight Title Match
---Shane Helms def. Kwee Wee in 8:02 by pinfall following a Vertebreaker. (58) After the match, Chavo Guerrero Jr hit the ring and beat down Helms. (51)

---Sean O’Haire is backstage with Mean Gene. O’Haire says that he and Chuck Palumbo are at odds right now and that everything will eventually work itself out. (70)

---Rey Mysterio, Sting, and DDP are backstage as they hype their six-man tag match in the main event. (70)

---Rob Van Dam def. Shane Douglas in 14:01 by pinfall following the Five Star Splash. (76) Toward the end of the match, Ric Flair tried to enter the ring but to no avail as Rey Mysterio knocked Flair off the ring apron with a brawl ensuing between the two. RVD and Douglas have great chemistry and it showed in their match.

---Backstage, Mean Gene interviews Scott Steiner in which Steiner hypes the upcoming six-man tag match and ends by saying that his brother will no doubt exit Slamboree as the new world champion if he has anything to do about it. (82)

---Ric Flair, The Total Package, and Scott Steiner drew with Sting, DDP, and Rey Mysterio in 17:21 following a double countout in which all six wrestlers brawled outside the ring and into the backstage area with the show fading to black. (83)

---Backstage, Booker T and Rick Steiner are seen brawling in the parking lot in their street clothes with neither budging as the camera fades to black. (78)

Show Rating: 80
TV Rating: 0.11 (684,565 viewers)
Old 05-23-2023, 10:12 AM   #39
CrossroadsReb
n00b

Head to Head
Show Rating: Raw 89, Nitro 80

TV Rating: Raw 2.96, Nitro 0.11

Main Event: Raw 92, Nitro 83

Main Event: Two Man Power Trip def. Stone Cold Killers to retain the WWF World Tag Team titles (92)

Backstage Incidents
---Kevin Nash has been spreading rumors about Arn Anderson which almost led to a fist fight between the two. I choose to give Nash a slap on the wrist. Arn thinks the punishment was too soft.

---Dustin Rhodes was being a jerk backstage and eventually threw a punch at Stevie Ray. It was a bad move though as he got beaten up as a result. I give Dustin a slap on the wrist. Nothing resulted from it.

Last edited by CrossroadsReb : 06-20-2023 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-24-2023, 07:29 AM   #40
CrossroadsReb
n00b

Wrestling news for Week 4, May 2001
---The WWF launched a new tag team on Smackdown, as Prince Albert and Val Venis made their debut. They will be working under the name The Buccaneers. Pirate gimmicks, I suppose? Weird visual.

---Two major storylines look to dominate the WWF for the summer. Triple H and The Rock along with Steve Austin and The Undertaker will be battling with SummerSlam not far away. Kurt Angle will also be focusing on Kane while Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho will also draw attention. Some great shows coming up in the next few months for the Federation.

---Lance Russell, the voice of Memphis wrestling, has announced his retirement. Many a Saturday mornings were spent watching and listening to Lance and Dave Brown on WMC. Lance was a good follow on social media.

---Ralphus has announced that he is leaving the business and trying his hand at other ventures. WCW really should have taken Ralphus and Jericho further when they had the chance.

---Abyss has won the NWA North American Heavyweight title. He is making quite the impression in NWA Wildside. He is also appearing on one-night only deals in Zero-One and the CWF.
Old 05-26-2023, 12:31 PM   #41
CrossroadsReb
n00b

End of Month Review, May 2001

FINANCES
---Not a very profitable month, of course. WCW lost $1,955,418 in May with over $900,000 going to the releases from the first week. At best, staying at a loss between $750,000 and $800,000 is possible in May.

---The figures show $3,044,582 on hand. Another bad month would be feasible but not so sure about two or three more in a row.

---The worker expenses came in at a staggering $2,859,351. This will go down in June due to part of this figure being the released workers.

---PPV revenue was $327,330 from Big Bang. Our next big money show could well be the Great American Bash in July. If I'm not at Medium size by then, it would be a greatly missed opportunity for the company financially.

POPULARITY
---WCW's popularity increased to 57 (+2) in the important Southwest region. I must have a 59 here in order to go up to Medium size since it is my home region. I stand at 56 in the Southeast region and 46 in the other eight regions of America. My long-term goal is to run a few shows in the Southeast and hold a large PPV in the Georgia Dome, maybe when our pop there gets to at least 68-70.

---The WWF increased their popularity in America, moving from 85 to 86. The made just under $4.5 million and are sitting with $54,435,004 on hand, makng them the richest company in the world. Stone Cold is the WWF Champion while Triple H holds the Intercontinental belt. Together, Austin and Triple H also hold the WWF Tag Team titles.

CREATIVE
---Our Franchise Players are Sting, Scott Steiner, Goldberg, Booker T, and Ric Flair

---The Next Big Things are Reno, Billy Kidman, Kaz Hayashi, and Shannon Moore

---I will begin using some of the NWA Wildside prospects in dark matches before they make their 'official' debuts in a few months. That group will not show in the Next Big Thing list until they are officially on the WCW roster. This group could change the course of WCW within two years.

Last edited by CrossroadsReb : 05-26-2023 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:36 PM   #42
CrossroadsReb
n00b

FAN PERCEPTIONS, END OF MAY 2001
Major Stars
Booker T
Buff Bagwell
Diamond Dallas Page
Goldberg
Jeff Jarrett
Kevin Nash
Ric Flair
Rick Steiner
Rob Van Dam
Scott Steiner
Sean O’Haire
Sting
The Total Package
MOVERS: Dustin Rhodes, Kanyon, Shane Douglas (out); Rob Van Dam (in)

Stars
Dustin Rhodes
Kanyon
Konnan
Lance Storm
Mike Awesome
Rey Mysterio Jr
Shane Douglas
MOVERS: Chuck Palumbo (out); Dustin Rhodes, Kanyon, Shane Douglas (in)

Well Known
Bam Bam Bigelow
Billy Kidman
Chavo Guerrero Jr
Chuck Palumbo
Ernest Miller
Hugh Morrus
Mark Jindrak
Mike Sanders
Shane Helms
Shawn Stasiak
Vampiro
MOVERS: Chuck Palumbo, Shane Helms (in)

Recognizable
Alex Wright
Elix Skipper
Jamie Knoble
Kaz Hayashi
Norman Smiley
Shannon Moore
The Sandman
Yang
MOVERS: Shane Helms (out); The Sandman (in)

Unimportant
Air Paris
Big Vito
Chris Harris
Evan Karagias
James Storm
Jason Jett
Johnny Swinger
Johnny the Bull
Kid Romeo
Kwee Wee
Lash Leroux
Reno
Old 05-28-2023, 10:49 PM   #43
CrossroadsReb
n00b

---Not much in the way of roster news this week except I allowed Terry Taylor’s contract to expire at the end of the month. As a road agent, he is a little below what I need at this point. Flair and Sting do have a positive relationship with him but it is still not enough to justify his $17,700 per month salary. I also officially release Scott Hudson. He was under a handshake deal so I owed him nothing. Unfortunately, Tony Schiavone and Mike Tenay could be next.

WCW Titles Roll Call
WCW World Heavyweight
Booker T, 4X champion, held since March 26, 2001
85 prestige (no change), #42 in world singles prestige (+6 in May)

WCW United States
Rey Mysterio, 1X champion, held since May 6, 2001
66 prestige (no change), #112 in world singles (+2 in May)

WCW World Tag Team
Team Canada, 1X champion, held since May 6, 2001
67 prestige (no change), #30 in world tag prestige (+4 in May)

WCW Cruiserweight
Shane Helms, 1X champion, Won March 18, 2001
41 prestige, (+1 in May), #133 in world singles prestige (+3 in May)

**WCW sits at 45% prestige and 30% momentum.

**For the record, the economy is shown at 34 and rising while the wrestling industry is 40 and falling.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:35 PM   #44
CrossroadsReb
n00b

WCW Nitro
Monday, Week 1, June 2001
Las Vegas, Nevada
Attendance: 1,630

Pre-Show Dark Match
---Kanyon def. John Cena in 9:20 by pinfall with a Flatliner. (60)

Pre-Show Dark Match
---Bam Bam Bigelow def. Philip Brooks in 8:32 by pinfall following the Greetings from Asbury Park. (52)

---The Steiner Brothers come out to start the show. Rick hypes his world title challenge versus Booker T at Slamboree while Scott says maybe WCW management can find someone to challenge him at Slamboree. (78)

---Buff Bagwell def. Konnan in 7:51 by pinfall following the Buff Blockbuster. (66)

---Dustin Rhodes and Shane Douglas run into each other backstage with Douglas saying that the new WCW is no place to be riding his daddy’s coattails as he walks away, leaving Dustin angry. (65)

---Chavo Guerrero Jr def. Jamie Knoble in 7:54 by pinfall following the Chavo Splash. (65) After the match, Chavo grabs a mic but is quickly stopped by Shane Helms, who says everyone watching is tired of Chavo’s sense of entitlement. He goes on to challenge Chavo for the Cruiserweight title at Slamboree, which Chavo accepts. (59)

---Booker T is backstage with Mean Gene and his partner in the main event, Rey Mysterio, as they hype their tag match versus Ric Flair and Jeff Jarrett. (80) Diamond Dallas Page and Sting enter the picture as they tell both Booker and Rey not to count them out of the world title or US title chase. (84)

---Rick Steiner w/Scott Steiner def. Dustin Rhodes in 14:30 by pinfall following a Top Rope Bulldog onto a steel chair placed there by Shane Douglas with Scott distracting Nick Patrick. (76) After the match, Shane Douglas is seen at the top of the ramp laughing at Rhodes. (72)

---Backstage, a camera happens to catch a vicious beatdown on Rey Mysterio by Ric Flair and Jeff Jarrett. (63) Rob Van Dam and Booker T race in to chase Flair and Jarrett off. (66)

---The Total Package is backstage with Gene Okerlund. Luger says he hopes his motivational talk to Nash last week on Nitro helped make it easier for him to leave professional wrestling. (64)

---Diamond Dallas Page def. Vampiro in 12:01 by pinfall with a Diamond Cutter. (72) During the match, Scott Steiner came halfway down the aisle to distract Page. After the match, Steiner retrieves a mic and says that Page has no business sticking his nose in the world title chase. The two continue arguing until Page says that if Steiner has nothing going on in 13 days, he will see him in the ring at Slamboree. (80) Steiner says he has beaten Page twice on pay-per-view in the last three months and the next time won’t be any different. (83)

---Mike Awesome and Lance Storm come to the ring and hype their current reign as world tag team champions. Storm says it looks like no one wants to challenge Team Canada since they haven’t been busy the last couple of weeks on Nitro. (61)

---Ric Flair and Jeff Jarrett drew with Booker T and Rey Mysterio in 17:19 when both teams were counted out. (75) After the match, Rick and Scott Steiner hit the ring with DDP and Sting closely following after. After a massive brawl, Booker T is able to apply the Steiner Recliner on Rick in the middle of the ring as the show ends. (78)

Show Rating: 76
TV Rating: 0.11 (701,229 viewers)
Old 05-31-2023, 10:06 PM   #45
CrossroadsReb
n00b

WCW vs WWF
Show Rating: Raw 80, Nitro 76

TV Rating: Raw 2.91, Nitro 0.11

Main Event: Raw 82, Nitro 75

Main Event: The Hardy Boyz def. Edge and Christian in an 82 rated match. No Austin, Rock, Taker, Angle, Benoit, or Jericho in the ring on this show.

The TV rating is the barometer which I'll measure WCW against the Federation. Of course, the show ratings help but in this case, winning any battle in what is currently a Monday Night Skirmish (and that being a stretch) will be an uphill climb. Reaching Medium status can't come soon enough. Even after we reach that size, overtaking the WWF seems like an impossible task.

Last edited by CrossroadsReb : 06-20-2023 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:10 AM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossroadsReb View Post
Even after we reach that size, overtaking the WWF seems like an impossible task.

The new (with the latest edition of the game) growth caps certainly make growing & catching a measure tougher than it was in past versions.

It may be more realistic than it used to be but it's definitely more challenging to stay engaged with infrequent signs of any real progress.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:17 AM   #47
CrossroadsReb
n00b

Wrestling News for Week 1, June 2001
---In this week's news of the weird, a new stable has formed in the WWF called Section 17. It will consist of Crash Holly, Hardcore Holly, Debra...and Stone Cold Steve Austin. It sounds like either a space-themed group or a gulag-themed stable.

---The WWF has called up highly regarded prospect, Randy Orton. WWF management feels that Orton could be a huge star in the making.

---Also in the ‘No kidding’ department, some industry veterans are also reported to be very high on Brock Lesnar. While he is hardly a household name at the moment, some of the biggest and most respected names in the industry have said he is one of their picks to be a breakout star in the next few years. We’ll have to keep an eye on him.

---Chris Candido is the new ECW World Television champion. He defeated Balls Mahoney, Tony Mamaluke, and Julio Dinero in a 57 rated match in Pennsauken, New Jersey. In this mod, ECW is still around but is hanging on for survival.

Last edited by CrossroadsReb : 06-03-2023 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:45 PM   #48
CrossroadsReb
n00b

WCW Nitro
Monday, Week 2, June 2001
Las Vegas, Nevada
Attendance: 1,693

Pre-Show Dark Match

---Buff Bagwell def. Dave Batista in 10:06 by pinfall with a Buff Blockbuster. (54)

Pre-Show Dark Match
---Hugh Morrus def. Samoa Joe in 9:27 by pinfall with a No Laughing Matter. (54)

---The Steiner Brothers come to the ring to open the show. Rick hypes his world title challenge versus Booker T in six days at Slamboree and his ‘tune-up’ match versus Bam Bam Bigelow. Scott says he can’t wait to get DDP in the ring so he can beat him at another pay-per-view. (71) Booker T comes out with a mic and taunts both Steiners as lots of muscle and no brains and hypes his world title defense at Slamboree. (78)

---The announcing crew hypes a United States title defense by Rey Mysterio later in the show and Rey’s brief history versus Ric Flair. (68)

---Rick Steiner def. Bam Bam Bigelow in 11:33 by pinfall following the Steiner Driver. (70) After the match, Rick takes a mic and proclaims himself as the next world champion. (64)

---Team Canada comes down to the ring with Lance Storm taking a mic. Storm says that they will be defending the world tag team titles at Slamboree versus a most deserving team, Ernest Miller and Norman Smiley, but issues an open challenge for tonight’s Nitro. (64) DDP and Sting appear at the top of the ramp as the crowd erupts. Sting says since he and Page are not busy tonight, they will accept the open challenge for the tag team titles in the main event as Storm and Awesome appear annoyed. (72)

---The Total Package, Jeff Jarrett, and Shane Douglas are talking backstage as Rob Van Dam walks by, not intending to say anything. Luger tells RVD that The Nature Boy will eventually get payback after he beats Rey for the US title. RVD challenges Luger to a match at Slamboree, which Luger accepts. (67) Shane Douglas pipes in and says to pass along a message to Dustin Rhodes that his daddy is a tub of goo. (71) Douglas adds that since Dustin is too cowardly, Sting should face him Sunday night at Slamboree since he is not a main eventer anymore and can’t get title matches. (68)

---Shane Helms, Jamie Knoble, and Yang def. Chavo Guerrero Jr, Evan Karagias, and Shannon Moore in 10:04 after Helms pinned Chavo following a Vertebreaker. (60) After the match, Chavo blames the loss on Karagias and Moore as they leave the ring. (58)

---The Total Package comes down to the ring for an in-ring interview with Mean Gene. Luger tells the crowd now that Kevin Nash is gone, he will be putting people like Rob Van Dam in the torture rack. He guarantees a victory over RVD at Slamboree. (68)

WCW United States Title Match
---Rey Mysterio Jr def. Vampiro in 8:26 by pinfall following a Super Hurricarana. (79) During the match, Ric Flair came down and taunted Rey on an open mic throughout the match. After the match, Rey and Flair brawled in the ring with Rey driving Flair from the ring. (77) Rey makes his 1st defence of the United States title.

---Shane Douglas is backstage hyping up The Total Package on his promise to beat Rob Van Dam at Slamboree. (67) Luger reminds Douglas that Sting will likely accept his challenge for Sunday night, to which Douglas nods his head. (70)

---Diamond Dallas Page and Sting are seen backstage preparing for their world tag team title match versus Team Canada. Page tells Sting it looks like Shane Douglas is attaching himself to The Total Package and Jeff Jarrett so he can have some insurance. Sting says that Douglas will be a dead man at Slamboree. (90)

---Booker T comes down ringside to join the announce team for the tag team main event between Sting and DDP and Team Canada, explaining he knows Scott Steiner has a beef with Page and will probably bring his brother with him at some point. (71)

---Diamond Dallas Page and Sting def. Team Canada by DQ in 17:09 after Scott Steiner ran in and attacked DDP as he was setting up a Diamond Cutter on Lance Storm (79). The tag team titles did not change hands on the disqualification. After the match, Booker T entered the ring and helped Sting and DDP fight off Scott and Rick Steiner, who came down to join the fray. (78) Booker T and Rick fight up the aisle as the show goes to black. (80)

Show Rating: 79
TV Rating: 0.11 (653,620 viewers)
Old 06-06-2023, 10:31 PM   #49
CrossroadsReb
n00b

Head to Head
Show Rating: Raw 79, Nitro 79

TV Rating: Raw 2.67, Nitro 0.11

Main Event: Raw 81, Nitro 79

Main Event: Hollywood Hogan def. Test in an 81 rated match; seems odd that the major players are being left out of these last two Raw shows

--Nitro was on par with the actual show rating. The coveted TV rating is the primary factor for me. Raw, however, is up by over 2.5 in the TV rating. I'm looking forward to the broadcaster negotiations IF I can get to Medium size BEFORE the Great American Bash.

--When the franchise players return en masse to WWF television, the show ratings will be noticeable.

Backstage Incident
--Kevin Nash was caught smoking a lung dart, breaking the locker room rules. Remembering the Oz gimmick that WCW gave him a decade earlier, I sympathize and choose to give Nash a slap on the wrist. Nothing noteworthy came out of it.

--As a high school junior, I remember seeing that gosh-awful Oz gimmick in WCW and wondering what the heck was going on. I guess it never occurred to them that they could use his real name and make more money. Of course, the more I read on Jim Herd's time in WCW, the more the insanity made sense. Oz vs Spartacus Flair would have been...something.

Last edited by CrossroadsReb : 06-20-2023 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:00 AM   #50
CrossroadsReb
n00b

WCW Slamboree Card
WCW World Heavyweight Title - Booker T (c) vs Rick Steiner

WCW United States Title – Rey Mysterio (c) vs Ric Flair

WCW World Tag Team Titles – Team Canada (c) vs Ernest Miller and Norman Smiley

WCW World Cruiserweight Title – Shane Helms (c) vs Chavo Guerrero Jr

Diamond Dallas Page vs Scott Steiner

Rob Van Dam vs The Total Package

Shane Douglas vs Sting