Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2005, 10:45 PM   #1
Buccaneer
Head Coach

kleenex time: American Civil War: Gettysburg (TBS)

Why do they keep doing this???

Press Release : New Gettysburg Title Due Out
Posted by Sean Drummy @ 12:24 EST

Cat Daddy Games has today announced that they are working on a Civil War strategy title, American Civil War: Gettysburg.

Cat Daddy Games has gone back to the lab once again to begin work on a Civil War turn based strategy title that will focus on the enormously important Gettysburg battle. In Gettysburg, the player will be charged with leading the Confederate army as they fight their way into the heart of the northern aggressor or taking command of the Union forces as they hold fast against the rebel invaders. Cat Daddy continues, "Immerse yourself in the action, as detailed 3D battlegrounds capture the realism and grandeur inspired by such famous conflicts as Little Roundtop and Picket’s Charge."

Some features include:
* Immerse yourself in the intense action as you relive the battle of Gettysburg. Fight your way across detailed 3D landscapes, created from actual maps of the battlefield.
* Take command of both the Union and Confederate forces and battle through a 16-mission campaign, inspired by historical engagements of the battle.
* Out maneuver and out flank your enemy using an array of troops, including infantry soldiers, fast moving cavalry, and ground shaking artillery.
* Includes a detailed reference section - historical documents, pictures, and more.
* Hone your skills against other armchair generals in multiplayer battles via a LAN, over the Internet, or play by e-mail.
For more information head over to Cat Daddy's official site.

Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
Buccaneer
Head Coach

sach asked me about this. Has anyone played it?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Haven't played it but it is currently part of GoGamer's 48 hr Madness for $12.90.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 08:45 PM   #4
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My god, look at this

http://www.catdaddygames.com/screens...ttysburg11.jpg

I have no idea how this game plays or what this screen means in terms of gameplay, but just having a screen like this in the game would be worth the cost.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:41 AM   #5
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Considering they already have one Civil war game under their belt with Civil War: The Game, which was complete ass, I would really be careful about a purchase of the new one unless I see a demo first.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I do have that first CW game called "History Channel's Civil War: The Game". It was a fun little game, presenting some elements that hadn't been done before.

But remember, Cat Daddy Software makes all of the budget titles, esp. the tycoon game (Skateboard Park Tycoon, Store Tycoon, etc.). Gettysburg, likewise, is a budget title but there are some things in there that I would never had expected in a budget title. It uses a smooth mouse-wheel zoom from bird's-eye view down to ground level which can get you to those true 3D view you see in the screenshots. You use the bird'seye view (with or without hexes on) to do unit movements and placements and then you can watch what happens when you finish your turn (you see your units move and enemy movements/attacks/etc.).

There is a demo but it has a 1-hour timer on it. There is now a PDF manual online but it is skimpy. There is a campaign mode that takes you through the actions of Gettysburg but you have to do them in order to unlock them. Also, the side you play in each phase of the campaign is pre-defined. For example, the first one (along Chamberburg Pike) you play as Union you have to prevent the Rebels from reaching the hexes in back of you within 20 turns. There is a skirmish (sandbox) mode which let's you select a portion of the map and you X dollars to buy troops to play around with or to reenact a certain segment of the battle (most wargames have this now).

Just playing around for an hour, the one thing that I don't like is that I can't zoom out far enough to see where the @^%$! I am. The area covered on each map is pretty small (or at least the few that I looked at). This is not a strategy game but instead a series of many skirmishes (with the campaign mode being goal-oriented skirmishes). For a budget title, it does have amazing 3D graphics that most high-production games a few years ago would have killed for. Just like Civil War: The Game, it was worth $19.95 to check out.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:25 PM   #7
Yellow5
High School Varsity

I see it's also listed under the Talonsoft name. That makes it interesting!
Old 06-04-2005, 05:17 PM   #8
Calis
College Starter

Checked this sucker out for a bit as I've got on a Civil War kick again here recently. Had a tough time choosing between this and the Bull Run game, but ultimately went with this due to the turn-based nature. I'm biased.

Not bad, pretty good for a $20 game. I find myself fast forwaring through most of the playing out of the turns though and just getting back to moving, so something is lacking there. After you watch a couple turns it hardly seems worth the time anymore.

Wish you could play both sides in the missions though. Haven't checked out the skirmish mode. I've only played through the first 4 or so of the campaign missions, having just ran into a little trouble with McPherson's Ridge. That artillery is deadly, have to find away to get that off my back.

No real complaints, agree with Bucc on the camera though.

I really wish there was a more grand strategic Civil War game out there, that's what I'm wanting. I tried grabbing American Civil War: From Sumter to Appomattox, but that looks pretty dense. I tried following the tutorial made for it to get the hang of it, and the tutorial didn't match up with what I was doing. So that idea is on the backburner for now.

Anyhow, this game is worth the 20 bucks so far imo. Not going to blow your socks off, but I'm having fun and it hasn't really annoyed me yet. I'll probably delve into the skirmish mode more in a bit.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:10 PM   #9
Calis
College Starter

Ok, after playing some of the skirmish mode games, I'd like to rescind my earlier praise.

Not impressed, it's pretty bad.

The game itself is sorta losing me also, it feels a little TOO shallow. The fact that you pick cards to use a general abilities, and if you're lucky it'll work seems pretty lame also.

Think I'm pretty much done with it, maybe I'll grab that Bull Run this week if I can find it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote