Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > Dark Cloud's Personal Playground
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #51
Jack Raden
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoelessJ03 View Post
That appears to be true because Takahashi was still a free agent at the time the announcement was made that the studs would be deleted. I know for a fact that I saw him in the FA pool and didn't bid assuming that he would be deleted.

That's true - I'd revoked my bid to him after the announcement, since I assumed he'd be deleted, and used that money elsewhere.

And yes, the draft pool had a ton of talent at the top this year.

Jack Raden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #52
SeriesVCoop
n00b

Seems my schemeing didnt get me back to the top of the ladder!!! But even wtih the new players I've noticed that our league averages ERA and batting avg hasn't gotten out of whack we just have more recognizable names now but I like it because it feels more like real baseball at least to me.
SeriesVCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #53
Ramzavail
College Starter

Guys remember this is all a work in progress, concept league. DC is working and tweaking to see what works, what doesnt work, how and why, etc.

Don't get so upset about things. Don't get so upset about who is winning and who is losing (its all a work in progress) - focus more on the combination of what makes SLOP fun and different from other leagues.

I'm enjoying it. I like DC ball. DC Ball is him playing God and we are his Israelites.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #54
spleen1015
Coordinator

Regarding those super FAs, I assume they were all signed by the CPU before I took over because they were on the team before I took over.

I'm not sure what we do with them. They're going to be painful to have in 2-3 years. In 1844, they'll take $51 million of the cap, which is a lot for just 3 players. They're too good for the rest of the league, IMO. They're going to put up unrealistic numbers in this league.

I'm cool with whatever happens regarding them.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 01-30-2012 at 12:35 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #55
SkippyDies
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
Guys remember this is all a work in progress, concept league. DC is working and tweaking to see what works, what doesnt work, how and why, etc.

Don't get so upset about things. Don't get so upset about who is winning and who is losing (its all a work in progress) - focus more on the combination of what makes SLOP fun and different from other leagues.

I'm enjoying it. I like DC ball. DC Ball is him playing God and we are his Israelites.

+1
SkippyDies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #56
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Lots of action in here today. That's good to see.

Briefly:

Those guys were retired. If you look at the Iraqi SP that Phoenix signed, you'll see that his player card indicates he'd been retired. I did that with all of them. When I loaded a file though, they were all back in-game as free agents. At that point, I just figured the hell with it and let them go where they'd been. The AI had signed those players in Compton, Phoenix signed their guy and I think LA has one of them too.

One reminder about fast-sim and bad contracts. You can release a guy in fast-sim without the deal counting against your cap. Think of fast-sim as the NFL in that way. Contracts are not guaranteed, so if you sign a guy to a long-term deal and decide he's no longer worth, you don't have to ride the deal out. This wouldn't work in some formats, but I've always believed that in fast-sim, we ought to employ the NFL model which I know some purists don't like but...if you're a purist and playing fast-sim with no injuries I dunno what to tell you.

Anyway, because of that non-punitive contract situation...you could release anyone you wanted. After a year, if a guy isn't signed the game will usually retire a player. So if you all wanted those guys to disappear naturally you could just collude not to sign any of them especially now that none of our teams are under AI control.

I just doubt they'd all go unsigned.

The exports for the playoff teams are in, so I will probably run sometime this afternoon depending on my schedule goes the rest of the day.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-30-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #57
ShoelessJ03
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post

I don't think anyone is upset here. People are just bringing up issues that have developed as constructive criticism in an effort to better the league.

FWIW I also do not think the issue is the fact that the players were added but moreso the fact that they were added without any heads-up or warning that there would be new players added to the file in the middle of free agency. I'm sure if others had planned on new star players appearing mid-free agency then they could have adjusted their budget to get where they wanted by not extending offers to now average players with expiring contracts or offering new contracts to free agents who were asking for both legs to sign on the dotted line.

Also, since the players were said to be deleted, I think a lot of owners did not place bids as a result.

Either way, I was not in the market to sign anyone so this is not an issue of me wanting those players anyways... Just bringing up valid points in regards to how the players were added without any fair warning to everyone. If DC wants to play god and create superstars from thin air, I'm cool with that... Just give us a heads up so everyone can plan / adjust accordingly.

That's all.

Join Here: http://fantasy.nfl.com/registration/...eagueId=391368
League ID: 391368
League Password: provided on request
ShoelessJ03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #58
ShoelessJ03
High School JV

Oh yeah... one other thing that has been on my mind.

The legacy players don't seem like they're gonna hold up as originally intended. Since the players are being altered based on a terrible minor league player already in the system, their talents are dropping off quite substantially rather quickly, too.

It might be a better idea to create a new player all together when adding a legacy player. It seems like the talent that has been edited is crashing back down to where it was prior to the player being altered.

Just an observation.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #59
JTSMOOTH
Mascot

I only made an offer to Mu'awiyah after spring training was run and it appeared those players were not going to be deleted. So I threw out an offer since someone was going to eventually sign him.

I think for me the biggest issue with "DC ball" is the lack of communication on things like this....Its one thing to say hey guys we are going to play around and add some more talent to the FA and draft pools or even doing some kind of fun announcement about a bunch of international FA applying for FA in SLOP.

Its a whole different thing to have a bunch god like superstars join in the middle of FA and no one really knows how or why they are there. Then claiming the players are going to be deleted, but they continue to sit on rosters and in FA with no announcement on what is going on. Again the same thing with the draft pool...

Granted I would still be weary of adding these guys, but at least I would know whats going on and not be surprised every time I open up the league file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Lots of action in here today. That's good to see.

Briefly:

Those guys were retired. If you look at the Iraqi SP that Phoenix signed, you'll see that his player card indicates he'd been retired. I did that with all of them. When I loaded a file though, they were all back in-game as free agents. At that point, I just figured the hell with it and let them go where they'd been. The AI had signed those players in Compton, Phoenix signed their guy and I think LA has one of them too.

One reminder about fast-sim and bad contracts. You can release a guy in fast-sim without the deal counting against your cap. Think of fast-sim as the NFL in that way. Contracts are not guaranteed, so if you sign a guy to a long-term deal and decide he's no longer worth, you don't have to ride the deal out. This wouldn't work in some formats, but I've always believed that in fast-sim, we ought to employ the NFL model which I know some purists don't like but...if you're a purist and playing fast-sim with no injuries I dunno what to tell you.

Anyway, because of that non-punitive contract situation...you could release anyone you wanted. After a year, if a guy isn't signed the game will usually retire a player. So if you all wanted those guys to disappear naturally you could just collude not to sign any of them especially now that none of our teams are under AI control.

I just doubt they'd all go unsigned.

The exports for the playoff teams are in, so I will probably run sometime this afternoon depending on my schedule goes the rest of the day.
JTSMOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #60
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Oh yeah... one other thing that has been on my mind.

The legacy players don't seem like they're gonna hold up as originally intended. Since the players are being altered based on a terrible minor league player already in the system, their talents are dropping off quite substantially rather quickly, too.

It might be a better idea to create a new player all together when adding a legacy player. It seems like the talent that has been edited is crashing back down to where it was prior to the player being altered.

Just an observation.

That's wouldn't lead to a talent dropoff. Because when I create them, I set their "potential" ratings to be the same as the "current" ratings which are the ones generated from the stats I input based on the specifications of the owner.

So their "past selves" don't affect their performance after that. But for future reference, I'll just create them from scratch to avoid the idea that they might be related.

As for the super players, to end the discussion about them and ruining the game experience for what seems to be look like a majority of the league I'll just retire them now before after the post-season. Especially since Syracuse didn't care what happened to his and they're the franchise most affected by such a move, it shouldn't cause any issues and I've already exported the files from the playoff teams and will just run the post-season here in the next hour or two, so you'll be able to see it in reflected in the new file.

I don't have any plans to do anything wonky in the near future (mostly because I don't want to hear about it...) but if it does happen down the road, just assume that it was done intentionally and to adjust your strategies as a result.

But again, don't expect any false moves going forward. Everything should remain pretty consistent and if it does change I'll do a better job of communicating it prior to it happening so it's not a surprise, okay?

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-30-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #61
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I realized retiring them prior to the post-season would screw up exports. So make that after the post-season.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #62
JTSMOOTH
Mascot

Guess I should have refreshed my browser, as you beat me to it and pretty much echoed my thoughts on things.

Quote:
I don't think anyone is upset here. People are just bringing up issues that have developed as constructive criticism in an effort to better the league.

FWIW I also do not think the issue is the fact that the players were added but moreso the fact that they were added without any heads-up or warning that there would be new players added to the file in the middle of free agency. I'm sure if others had planned on new star players appearing mid-free agency then they could have adjusted their budget to get where they wanted by not extending offers to now average players with expiring contracts or offering new contracts to free agents who were asking for both legs to sign on the dotted line.

Also, since the players were said to be deleted, I think a lot of owners did not place bids as a result.

Either way, I was not in the market to sign anyone so this is not an issue of me wanting those players anyways... Just bringing up valid points in regards to how the players were added without any fair warning to everyone. If DC wants to play god and create superstars from thin air, I'm cool with that... Just give us a heads up so everyone can plan / adjust accordingly.

That's all.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #64
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ok, simming the postseason now.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #65
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

NLCS GAME 1
Phoenix 9, Milwaukee 7

ALCS GAME 1
Memphis 2, Syracuse 1
Old 01-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #66
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

NLCS GAME 2
Milwaukee 5, Phoenix 0 (Series tied 1-1)

ALCS GAME 2
Syracuse 5, Memphis 2 (Series tied 1-1)
Old 01-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #67
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

NLCS GAME 3
Milwaukee 5, Phoenix 3 (MIL leads 2-1)

ALCS GAME 3
Syracuse 10, Memphis 3 (SYR leads 2-1)
Old 01-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #68
ShoelessJ03
High School JV

Quote:

I don't have any plans to do anything wonky in the near future (mostly because I don't want to hear about it...) but if it does happen down the road, just assume that it was done intentionally and to adjust your strategies as a result.

But again, don't expect any false moves going forward. Everything should remain pretty consistent and if it does change I'll do a better job of communicating it prior to it happening so it's not a surprise, okay?

I think things are being taken a bit out of context. By no means am I suggesting that you / we don't try new things with the league. I'm all for changing things up and trying new things with ootp.

I think we have a good group of veteran OOTP and sports sim gamers here that have a fair amount of experience under their belts. For me, having such critical changes that impact the entire league without any heads-up is just not something I am used to. I think everyone is in agreement here that if you are going to try something out, we are game. Just let us know about it.

Taking on the attitude that you won't make any changes now because "I don't want to hear about it" is probably not the best way to look at it. Instead of taking this whole thing as a negative, look at it from the brighter side. People are willing to play along with the changes if we know about them.

I really don't think that your GMs in your league asking to know about changes to the league is all that much to ask for.

I am enjoying the league.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #69
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

NLCS GAME 4
Milwaukee 9, Phoenix 4 (MIL leads 3-1)

ALCS GAME 4
Syracuse 10, Memphis 0 (SYR leads 3-1)
Old 01-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #70
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I think things are being taken a bit out of context. By no means am I suggesting that you / we don't try new things with the league. I'm all for changing things up and trying new things with ootp.

I think we have a good group of veteran OOTP and sports sim gamers here that have a fair amount of experience under their belts. For me, having such critical changes that impact the entire league without any heads-up is just not something I am used to. I think everyone is in agreement here that if you are going to try something out, we are game. Just let us know about it.

Taking on the attitude that you won't make any changes now because "I don't want to hear about it" is probably not the best way to look at it. Instead of taking this whole thing as a negative, look at it from the brighter side. People are willing to play along with the changes if we know about them.

I really don't think that your GMs in your league asking to know about changes to the league is all that much to ask for.

I am enjoying the league.

I don't think it's too much to ask either. I should've used a smiley. It was my poor attempt at a mea culpa. I thought the feedback was good and useful and like I said, I'll do a better job of communicating going forward.

I'm glad you all are enjoying the league.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #71
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

NLCS GAME 5
Milwaukee 3, Phoenix 1 (MIL wins series 4-1)

The Blue Ribbons win their first pennant since '39 and their first since the move to the NL

ALCS GAME 5
Syracuse 9, Memphis 2 (SYR wins series 4-1)

Syracuse wins the "anyone but San Diego Bowl" to become the first team to win the AL pennant besides Milwaukee or San Diego. Memphis says "see you next year..
Old 01-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #72
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1842 SUNSET SERIES
Game 1: Syracuse 5, Milwaukee 3
Old 01-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #73
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1842 SUNSET SERIES
Game 2: Milwaukee 9, Syracuse 2 (Series tied 1-1)
Old 01-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #74
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1842 SUNSET SERIES
Syracuse 6, Milwaukee 4 (SYR leads series 2-1)
Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #75
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1842 SUNSET SERIES
Syracuse 7, Milwaukee 1 (SYR leads series 3-1)
Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #76
ShoelessJ03
High School JV

finally got a win in the "brother bowl" to topple Phoenix!!

Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #77
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1842 SUNSET SERIES
Syracuse 5, Milwaukee 2 (11 innings) (SYR leads series 4-1)
Old 01-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #78
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1842 SUNSET SERIES
Syracuse 9, Milwaukee 6 (SYR wins series 5-1)

Syracuse completes quite possibly the most dominant season in SLOP history. It will someday be very interesting to compare this team to future SLOP championship squads to see how they stack up and how they would've stacked up had they stayed together.

But in our 5th season, we add a first time champion to the championship roster. Congrats to Syracuse and to Milwaukee on a great season.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-30-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #79
ShoelessJ03
High School JV

Quote:
1842 SUNSET SERIES
Syracuse 9, Milwaukee 6 (SYR wins series 5-1)

Syracuse completes quite possibly the most dominant season in SLOP history. It will someday be very interesting to compare this team to future SLOP championship squads to see how they stack up and how they would've stacked up had they stayed together.

But in our 5th season, we add a first time champion to the championship roster. Congrats to Syracuse and to Milwaukee on a great season.

I'm just excited that we finally got that monkey off our back. I was beginning to think that we had been cursed when we switched leagues. Nice to get over the hump and represent in the Championship Series again, even if we got whooped.

I think my window of having a competitive team is slowly closing though so it would have been nice to hang another banner with this team before I start losing key players.

Congrats to Syracuse though!

Old 01-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #80
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Five years completed. Award voting will commence from today's file until Wednesday's first sim to initiate the start of free agency. So be sure to get those ballots in. The file should be uploaded now.

Again, next export deadline is Wednesday night where we'll sim to the start of free agency. So this is your last file chance to offer extensions to players. Trades are once again able to be made.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #81
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1842 Award Ballot
Here's my award ballot. HTML is updated in case you can't get in-game to check.

NL MVH
----
1. RF Justin Gorman, Phoenix
2. CF Cecil Bryant, Brooklyn
3. SS Jackson Quevada, Phoenix

AL MVH
----
1. Larry Pratt, Syracuse
2. Winston Bancroft, San Diego
3. Kevin Smith, Rio Grande

AL POY
-----
1. Roy Bickford, Memphis
2. Will Allen, Memphis
3. Ramesh Chandar, New York

NL POY
----
1. Andres Miranda, Phoenix
2. Hank Griggs, Carolina
3. J.P. Maillet, Milwaukee

NL ROY
-----
1. Jackson Quevada, Phoenix
2. Moe Jackson, Milwaukee
3. Hank Griggs, Carolina

AL ROY
----
1. AEJ Collins, Memphis
2. Shane Chadfield, Memphis
3. Craig Levin, Syracuse
Old 01-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #82
ShoelessJ03
High School JV

NL

MVH
1. Cecil Bryant - Brooklyn
2. Justin Gorman - PHX
3. Eugene Nelson - PHX

AL MVH
1. Winston Bancroft - SD
2. Kevin Smith - RIO
3. Larry Pratt - SYR

NL POY
1. Hank Griggs - CAR
2. Juan Salsa - MIL
3. Andres Miranda - PHX

AL POY
1. Ramesh Chandar - NY
2. Roy Bickford - MEM
3. Will Allen - MEM

NL ROY
1. Hank Griggs - CAR
2. Moe Jackson- MIL
3. Jackson Quevada- PHX

AL ROY
1. Shane Chadfied - MEM
2. Charlie Taylor - PHL
3. AEJ Collins - MEM

Old 01-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #83
Jack Raden
Mascot

After just one season, my legacy guy has already seen a sizable drop in potential (-14/-16/-14/-13/+1). He's only got 3 star potential now - I'm in love with the guy's performance/stats now, but I'm worried that if he drops that much in one year, in 3 years, he'll be nearly unusable.

EDIT - Seems PHX's legacy guy also had a huge drop in potential. Is this happening to all of them?

EDITx2 - MIL's guy saw a drop of -36/-26/-15/-23/-25. The guy's only a 1.5 star potential now. It may not mean much, if all we look at is current ratings, but I've always been under the impression that guys regress towards their potential (be it a positive or negative regression), and if that's the case, we're going to have a bunch of scrubs for legacy players in a couple of years.

Last edited by Jack Raden : 01-30-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #84
spleen1015
Coordinator

DC, I was able to download the league file in game today, FYI.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #85
Jack Raden
Mascot

NL MVH
1. Justin Gorman - PHX
2. Jackson Quevada - PHX
3. Cecil Bryant - BKN

AL MVH
1. Winston Bancroft - SD
2. Kevin Smith - SA
3. Ed Horton - MEM

NL POY
1. Hank Griggs - CAR
2. Andres Miranda - PHX
3. Warner Armstrong - MIL

AL POY
1. Ramesh Chandar - NY
2. Will Allen - MEM
3. Roy Bickford - MEM

NL ROY
1. Hank Griggs - CAR
2. Jackson Quevada - CAR
3. Moe Jackson - MIL

AL ROY
1. Shane Chadfield - MEM
2. AEJ Collins - MEM
3. Charlie Taylor - PHI
Old 01-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #86
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
DC, I was able to download the league file in game today, FYI.

Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Raden View Post
After just one season, my legacy guy has already seen a sizable drop in potential (-14/-16/-14/-13/+1). He's only got 3 star potential now - I'm in love with the guy's performance/stats now, but I'm worried that if he drops that much in one year, in 3 years, he'll be nearly unusable.

EDIT - Seems PHX's legacy guy also had a huge drop in potential. Is this happening to all of them?

EDITx2 - MIL's guy saw a drop of -36/-26/-15/-23/-25. The guy's only a 1.5 star potential now. It may not mean much, if all we look at is current ratings, but I've always been under the impression that guys regress towards their potential (be it a positive or negative regression), and if that's the case, we're going to have a bunch of scrubs for legacy players in a couple of years.

Then that bolsters ShoelessJ's assertion that future legacy players ought to be created from scratch, not be reclaimed minor leaguers which I'll follow going forward. I'll add a clause that allows you, the owner, to retire a legacy player. It's similar to an idea I had when the league was just a concept league where I thought it'd be cool to let an owner unretire a long-time guy who played for them and retired "before his time." Since we haven't had anyone of note like that in this league yet, that hasn't really been something I needed to bring up.

But for legacy guys, I don't see any reason to make an owner keep a guy around as a franchise pillar if he's not a franchise pillar anymore. So yeah, we'll say that if you want to retire your legacy player you can do that...and I guess it'd mean you'd get to replace him with another one though it'd obviously reset your 15-year clock on legacy guys.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-30-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #87
SeriesVCoop
n00b

another good season!!

NL MVH
1. Cecil Bryant - BKN
2. Justin Gorman - PHX
3. Jackson Quevada - PHX

AL MVH
1. Winston Bancroft - SD
2. Kevin Smith - RIO
3. Spencer Miller - NYA

NL POY
1. Hank Griggs - CAR
2. Andres Miranda - PHX
3. Warner Armstrong - MIL

AL POY
1. Charlie Taylor - PHL
2. Roy Bickford - MEM
3. Tom Cochran - SYR

NL ROY
1. Andy Baker - LAX
2. Jackson Quevada - PHX
3. Moe Jackson - MIL

AL ROY
1. Shane Chadfield - MEM
2. AEJ Collins - MEM
3. Charlie Taylor - PHI
Old 01-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #88
JTSMOOTH
Mascot

NL MVH

1. CF Cecil Bryant, Brooklyn
2. RF Justin Gorman, Phoenix
3. SS Jackson Quevada, Phoenix

AL MVH

1. Winston Bancroft, San Diego
3.Kevin Smith, Rio Grande
3. Larry Pratt, Syracuse

AL POY

1. Ramesh Chandar, New York
2. Will Allen, Memphis
3. Roy Bickford, Memphis

NL POY

1. Hank Griggs, Carolina
2.Andres Miranda, Phoenix
3. Juan Salsa, Milwaukee

NL ROY

1. Jackson Quevada, Phoenix
2. Moe Jackson, Milwaukee
3. Hank Griggs, Carolina

AL ROY

1.Shane Chadfield, Memphis
2. Charlie Taylor, Philly
3. AEJ Collins, Memphis
Old 02-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #89
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Award Balloting

(5-3-1 voting)

NL MVH
----
Bryant 19
Gorman 16
Quevada 6
Nelson 1

AL MVH
-----
Bancroft 22
Smith 15
Pratt 7

AL POY
-----
Bickford 12
Chandar 11
Allen 7

NL POY
-----
Griggs 22
Miranda 15
Salsa 4
Armstrong 2
Mallet 1

NL ROY
----
Quevada 17
Griggs 12
Jackson 11
Baker 5

AL ROY
-----
Chadfield 22
Collins 13
Taylor 8
Levin 1

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-01-2012 at 11:30 AM.