Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > Dark Cloud's Personal Playground
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Giving SLOP a bit of punch..

So I realize that the league isn't especially immersive. I think there are reasons for that, but I'm trying to figure out ways to give the league some long-lasting punch. I'm kicking around some ideas and will welcome any suggestions or ideas you all have that might be worth consider. But here's an idea that I'd like to try that might be fun and could set us apart from other leagues even more.

Legacy Player Rule
----------
Every decade, an owner gets to create a legacy player. The only rule is said player must be foreign (to keep stuff interesting). You get 100 attribute points to designate on attributes (50 for power, 25 for control, etc.) for said player. You designate their position and can even name them if you want to, of course. Said player will be on a ten15-year "legacy" contract which does not count against the cap for those ten15 years. You could trade your legacy player, but you won't get a new one for your franchise for ten seasons after the first time you got one for your franchise (even if you change teams.) until that guy retires.

The idea here is to create someone a la solo dynasties that you can follow their career and relate to even as clubs move, etc. Since everyone will have one, it keeps it "fair" and it might be just one of the ways that we can start to differentiate our setup. We'll induct the first class of legacy players at the mid-season break, so be thinking about this and you can post when I ask for them. Yes, you don't have to have one. But you should because it'll be fun and opponents will do it too.

Legacy players will all be age 25, since thats when the game stops development anyway...

Again, throw out any ideas that might help with immersion. I'm fine with the league being low-key and such and I think it's awesome that once folks join that we have significant export percentages which means that despite our lack of posting overall that we are a healthy league.

I'd just like to get us over the interest hump, because I run it and even I'm not that immersed yet.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-11-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I like the idea, the only change I would suggest is making it a fifteen-year rule, so you wouldn't really ever (unless someone has a really long career) have two of these guys at once. Or, just make a rule that instead of year, you can make a new one once the previous player retires.

Shall we PM you our players?
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I like the idea, the only change I would suggest is making it a fifteen-year rule, so you wouldn't really ever (unless someone has a really long career) have two of these guys at once. Or, just make a rule that instead of year, you can make a new one once the previous player retires.

Shall we PM you our players?

Okay, good deal. We'll make it a 15-year rule. I sort of like the idea of having two at the same time if one has a long career, so that the "older" guy can mentor the "younger" guy provided you kept him around or his career lasted that long.

And yeah, PM me your guys if you want. I won't add them until the mid-season break though so that it doesn't affect this 1st half of the season.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

You guys could just give me a stat line for your player and I could input it into OOTP to generate ratings. I just don't want to create "super studs" for all of us, but rather, solid legacy types that have some strengths but also some weaknesses. So that's what the 100-pt thing is about. Or a real life template player whose stats we can model to import that prototype into your guy. I just don't want anyone superhuman.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-11-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
JTSMOOTH
Mascot

For me personally, I'm pretty indifferent on the idea... Unless I am misunderstanding the idea, I can't imagine a guy with 100 talent pts spending more than 1 year on my roster, much less 10-15 years.

I'd probably prefer to just have the ability to edit draft pick names over creating a player.
JTSMOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSMOOTH View Post
For me personally, I'm pretty indifferent on the idea... Unless I am misunderstanding the idea, I can't imagine a guy with 100 talent pts spending more than 1 year on my roster, much less 10-15 years.

I'd probably prefer to just have the ability to edit draft pick names over creating a player.

The 100 talent points thing was more like..."you can create a player of your own construction, but he can't be a super player." Not so much "he's a scrub" but rather a "franchise player." Think of your own Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle or Hank Aaron that while franchise names come and go, you'll always know that [insert name here] is around to follow.

But draft pick naming is no problem either way. You'd just let me know and I'd make the fix. That's super easy, glad you mentioned it.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
JTSMOOTH
Mascot

Yeah and I wouldn't want to see teams creating star players either, especially not if they don't have to pay the guy a salary as you mentioned earlier...

I guess for me, 100 pts spread out over 5 categories for a hitter doesn't really do much for me. I honestly probably would not take advantage of this, but if others do then thats 100% fine with me.

I'm not really much of a proponent of editing players attributes all together, but if thats what everyone wants, then I'll play along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
The 100 talent points thing was more like..."you can create a player of your own construction, but he can't be a super player." Not so much "he's a scrub" but rather a "franchise player." Think of your own Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle or Hank Aaron that while franchise names come and go, you'll always know that [insert name here] is around to follow.

But draft pick naming is no problem either way. You'd just let me know and I'd make the fix. That's super easy, glad you mentioned it.
JTSMOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote