Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
Dutch
"Dutch"

The 2015 NFL Draft

Might as well get this started. First question...what's best for Tampa Bay...Winston, Mariota, or a trade down? What will they do?

I think we don't see any dramatics and Winston goes #1. I would take Mariota. I think either is important for the Bucs...a little success at the QB position will go a long way to legitimize this downtrodden organization.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If there were an RG3 offer waiting for the Bucs, they should probably take it. But I don't see that out there. So, barring that, they should take a QB. Not sure which one.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
bob
College Starter

What do you think RG3 is worth in today's NFL? 4th rounder? 3rd?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

I think because of his age and supposed potential, a second.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

nothing, hell be an FA in a year.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Washington should pick up that RG3 option cause it's only guaranteed for injury. If he's trash again you'd know it within a few weeks and you deactivate him.

I'd say Tampa or Tennessee should at least Consider RG3, the redskins #5 and another sliding scale pick in 2016 for #1 or #2
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
Dutch
"Dutch"

RGIII and picks would be a fascinating choice, but I doubt the Redskins want to do the rookie QB show right now.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #8
Peregrine
Pro Starter

If there's some option that lets the Redskins give up all their draft picks for the next 5 years, to get one player - they are definitely the team to do it.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #9
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If there's some option that lets the Redskins give up all their draft picks for the next 5 years, to get one player - they are definitely the team to do it.

To be fair, not a lot of teams are in position to give up all of the Redskins picks for the next 5 years except for them.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #10
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I don't know, they have traded a lot of them...
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #11
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I feel like the Bucs best move would be to take Williams the DE, and then start Glennon for a year. That's the safest and smartest move in my opinion. I think Glennon can get it done, he just needs a defense (and a run game, maybe some O-line help) to help out. I feel like the Bucs are wasting a potential asset by not giving the guy one chance to show what he can do over the course of a season. If he plays well but the team doesn't win, you can flip him for a nice pick next year and build a core that can be successful for the long term.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 04-23-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:16 AM   #12
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I trade down if I'm Tampa Bay.

I think Winston has a world of talent but also could be a headache of epic proportions. But I also can't see either Winston or Mariota reaching their full potential on a Lovie Smith team.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

Would take Mariota over the head case any day.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #14
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

They've changed.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

Assuming it's Winston first, like most do, then I think the Mariota situation might be the most intriguing we've seen in a while.

Regardless of whether you support the roll-dice-on-possible-franchise-QB strategy, it is undeniably interesting when any franchise does so. It just defines them for a significant period of time. And that's fun, or at least interesting, to see, even if you're not really a fan of that team.

I felt the same way, to some degree, with Manziel last year, but I think this is a clearer case as an observer. Especially if you factor in that many informed people feel that Mariota might really be best suited to a certain sort of system - then you have the potential that some team either deciding to restructure its system somewhat, or else a "good fit" team making a big move to get into position to take him (can you hear us, Chip?). Either of those situations is pretty compelling.

Personally, I really want to see Philadelphia make the big move and get him. I am simultaneously intrigued, appalled, and titillated by their move toward an uptempo offense, and I'd like to see the system get as fair a shake as possible in the NFL before the insiders reject it. If Chip thinks this is the guy for that, then let's go do the whole thing -- deal Bradford to Cleveland, wheel and deal away the future to get up to pick Mariota, and let's get rid of the safety net.

If the Chargers decide to make the rumored big splash, that's interesting for both teams (including Tennessee, the rumored obvious partner) and I'd like seeing that play out, too.

And hell, maybe Cleveland? Buffalo? Chicago? Someone else on the verge of way overpaying a decent quarterback? Or just sit back and let him go to the J-E-T-S, which could be its own brand of hilarity. There are enough possibilities - and when it's at QB it's easy enough for all of us to digest them - that this is great theater.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #16
miked
College Starter

The only reason I want Mariota on the Jets is to ensure they don't play Geno Smith any more.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #17
SteveMax58
College Starter

At first I wasn't too big on the idea of the Giants taking Amari Cooper with their pick, but the more I think about it, the more I like the pick if he's still sitting there.

Not as big on the other WRs graded for the 1st rd, at least not for the Giants, but I think Cooper is the right type of receiver to flank with ODB. And if Cruz can come back to at least 80% of his old self, could be a really problematic set of options for defenses to cover.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #18
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
At first I wasn't too big on the idea of the Giants taking Amari Cooper with their pick, but the more I think about it, the more I like the pick if he's still sitting there.

Not as big on the other WRs graded for the 1st rd, at least not for the Giants, but I think Cooper is the right type of receiver to flank with ODB. And if Cruz can come back to at least 80% of his old self, could be a really problematic set of options for defenses to cover.

Not a Giants fan but with holes on the OL and the defense I think it would be crazy to go WR with such a high pick.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #19
Danny
Head Coach

I want Williams or Cooper at #4
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #20
sabotai
General Manager

On what little I've read about the draft so far this off season, my personal hope for the Giants is to get OT Scherff. But I haven't really gotten up to speed on the draft yet. I'll look over all that stuff this week.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:40 PM   #21
The Jackal
Coordinator

Don't worry about speculating about the Redskins trading up from #5. Not gonna happen. QB is a mess, but let's build an offensive line and a defense and start worrying about QB next year - or look for a developmental late rounder/UDFA.

edit: I'd like Williams or Fowler at 5, but hope for some trading back.

Last edited by The Jackal : 04-24-2015 at 10:42 PM.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:41 AM   #22
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Not a Giants fan but with holes on the OL and the defense I think it would be crazy to go WR with such a high pick.

Yeah if Scherff is there, they probably go with him. And thats a definite need for them.

I just think Cooper seems about as NFL-ready & sharp as any kid coming out at WR I've seen in a number of years. And pairing him up with Becham might be the best thing they could do for their running game as teams will not stack the box on them. I also think he might be the BPA between him & Scherff...so I tend to go with the BPA mentality barring an obvious non-need.

They absolutely need a passrusher and a safety more than anything. I'm just not sure anybody as trustworthy will be sitting there at #9. So hoping they can find the right guys to develop in rounds 2-7 (Shaq Thompson comes to mind for S).
Old 04-25-2015, 04:47 AM   #23
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
On what little I've read about the draft so far this off season, my personal hope for the Giants is to get OT Scherff. But I haven't really gotten up to speed on the draft yet. I'll look over all that stuff this week.

Yep, I wouldnt be disappointed if they go with Scherff.

From what I've read, there is debate on whether he is an OT or a G in the NFL. So that may influence whether teams are willing to take him top 10 or not. The Giants could use both as their line is in need of a talent infusion. Zack Martin was who I wanted them to grab last year instead of ODB, but hard to argue with either pick at this point.

I have heard people compare Scherff to Martin so that would definitely be a nice fit for us.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #24
Desnudo
Coordinator

Is Winston or Mariota franchise-altering? Probably not. Unless you have an Andrew Luck level certainty, I'm trading down or taking best player available.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #25
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I think Winston and Mariotta are this draft's versions of Vince Young and Matt Linehart. Not picking either is the wise thing to do; however bad teams are short on wisdom.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:43 PM   #26
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I think Winston has the potential to be.
I think Mariota is ultimately a good guy with career back up potential.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #27
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

I'm all over the place on Mariota. The right situation, I'm wondering if he might be another Aaron Rodgers?
Old 04-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #28
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

IMHO he doesn't have the arm strength or accuracy of Rodgers.
I think he is at best a very poor man's RGIII. Only after RGIII's injury. I hate it because I want a good guy super star but he is not it.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:13 AM   #29
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

Yeah thats where I'm at as well. I think Winston has potential to be a Big Ben or Cam type of QB. Perhaps even better potential given his seemingly higher intellect.

But something about going to the Bucs just doesn't sound like a good fit for either side. I'd go with Williams at #1 if I'm TB.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:08 AM   #30
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I know that the rumors we hear are only a small slice of what teams are actually doing. But we are hearing nothing about teams approaching the Bucs about getting into #1 to take Winston.

If that is true, and I were the Bucs, it would make me worry a little bit. About half the teams in the league have been linked to "trade up for Mariotta" rumors. And not one team seems interested in trading up for Winston. Are they sure they've targeted the right guy?
Old 04-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #31
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

And I certainly have not seen enough games, but when I have seen Mike Glennon, he's looked competent. Are the Bucs sure they want to pull the plug on him? If they get a trade down offer, they could fill in a lot of pieces and hope that Glennon makes a leap.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #32
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I know that the rumors we hear are only a small slice of what teams are actually doing. But we are hearing nothing about teams approaching the Bucs about getting into #1 to take Winston.

If that is true, and I were the Bucs, it would make me worry a little bit. About half the teams in the league have been linked to "trade up for Mariotta" rumors. And not one team seems interested in trading up for Winston. Are they sure they've targeted the right guy?

How much of this is a function of getting people to click on things though? The Bucs have an obvious need at QB and have (essentially) publicly stated they're going to take Winston. What is newsworthy in a Trade Down rumor, especially if it's not substantiated with all the press out there that Tampa is set with Winston at one?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #33
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I think Tampa will take Winston. But I think they're also hoping to be blown away by an offer for the first pick.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #34
Dutch
"Dutch"

I think Lovie is comfortable with Winston. Haven't heard from OC Koetter...but I think his style suits Winston as well.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #35
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lovie is able to take a Bucs team that many thought would win 8-9games all the way to the #1 pick, and then is able to lobby for whomever he wants. Doesn't make much sense. Remind me what exactly he's won?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #36
Logan
Head Coach

Shane Ray got arrested for marijuana possession this morning. Not a good start to his draft week.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:55 PM   #37
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

How early can the NFL punish someone for an infraction? I'm not saying this guy in particular needs punishment but I'm just curious.

Do they have to go through the draft? Do they have to sign a contract with a team?
Old 04-27-2015, 07:14 PM   #38
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Shane Ray got arrested for marijuana possession this morning. Not a good start to his draft week.

He just wanted to get a heads up on the NFL's discipline policies. What an idiot-I take him off my board no matter how good he might be. Be interesting to see how far he might drop in the draft now.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:15 PM   #39
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
He just wanted to get a heads up on the NFL's discipline policies. What an idiot-I take him off my board no matter how good he might be. Be interesting to see how far he might drop in the draft now.

That, plus his announced need for foot surgery, aren't helping.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:24 PM   #40
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

Not sure he'll slip that far but I'd take him anywhere in the 2nd rd without hesitation. Probably still take him in the 1st depending on how you view his talent on the field.

But definitely a stupid thing to do right before the draft.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #41
stevew
Hall Of Famer

His Sparq scores suggest he's a bust on the making anyways(or so I hear)
Old 04-27-2015, 08:30 PM   #42
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Despite all the feel-good hype surrounding Ray in the lead up to the draft, sounds like the apple didn't fall very far from the tree after all.

The over/under to "back on the block" is probably about 3-4 years.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #43
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

A guy who can't stop smoking when he has every selfish reason to stay clean for a few months does not give me confidence that he will make the sacrifices necessary to help a team.

It isn't about whether weed should be a big deal or not. It is about the fact that for a potential draftee, it is a big deal.

It's like showing up late to a job interview. Or wearing a dirty band t-shirt instead of a coat and tie. It demonstrates an inability to understand and care about the rules and expectations of the place that you hope will soon employ you.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #44
miked
College Starter

Wasn't this the same dude ejected from the bowl game or title game?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #45
saldana
Pro Starter

i just want this draft to be over...normally i enjoy the lead in quite a bit, but the morons on Philadelphia talk radio have not shut up about "moving up to get Mariotta" since the draft order came out...they act like this kid (who i like very much) will show up and be Joe Montana on the first day of mini camp, and that they will win the next 5 super bowls if they have him on their team...meanwhile, not one of them can fathom the concept that the Eagles do not have nearly enough depth and talent on their team to make that kind of a trade and still be any good...it has literally made listening to the radio in the car impossible.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #46
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
dola:

And I certainly have not seen enough games, but when I have seen Mike Glennon, he's looked competent. Are the Bucs sure they want to pull the plug on him? If they get a trade down offer, they could fill in a lot of pieces and hope that Glennon makes a leap.

If I were the Bucs GM I would also wonder if Lovie Smith is the guy to develop a young QB.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So what's everyone got planned for the draft? I really hate this Thursday night BS, of course it makes more money but it was always nice to wake up on on a saturday morning and watch a few hours of the draft. Roger has really taken a lot of fun out of stuff like that.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #48
JPhillips
General Manager

Wonder if this causes him to fall.

Quote:

Police are seeking to question La'el Collins following the shooting death of a pregnant woman last week, but the former LSU offensive lineman is not considered a suspect, Baton Rouge police Lt. Jonny Dunnam told ESPN.

Brittany Mills, 29, is believed by police to be a former girlfriend of Collins. Police said Collins is not believed to be a suspect in the shooting, only that they want to talk to him to see if he can provide them with information.

Collins' attorney, Jim Boren, told police his client is in Chicago getting ready for the NFL draft. But Boren told Schefter he has been in constant contact with the lead detective on the case and he spoke with the district attorney Tuesday, and that he is going to arrange for Collins to speak with police.

"We took the investigation seriously," Boren said from his offices Tuesday. "We've tried to rule him out as a suspect. We're going to provide that information to the police, and ultimately [Collins] will sit down and talk to them. But the timing is poor."
Old 04-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #49
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I must admit that this line amuses me.

"We've tried to rule him out as a suspect."

We just keep trying to rule him out but he won't let us...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #50
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So what's everyone got planned for the draft? I really hate this Thursday night BS, of course it makes more money but it was always nice to wake up on on a saturday morning and watch a few hours of the draft. Roger has really taken a lot of fun out of stuff like that.

Great way for me to workout while watching something more interesting than local news and re-runs of Everybody Loves Raymond.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote