Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #7151
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It seems like Boise should be more like a AA or AAA city.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #7152
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It seems like Boise should be more like a AA or AAA city.

Agreed. I am pretty surprised to see a bigger city like Boise to be hosting a short season A ball team.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #7153
molson
General Manager

Ya, Boise's grown a ton over the last few decades but they're still not much of a sports town. Even the college football thing is pretty much brand new, and with that, they still can't sell out their 35,000 seat stadium for games against weaker opponents.

Last edited by molson : 02-16-2012 at 01:45 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #7154
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So that means they never sell out? :drumroll
Old 02-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #7155
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Agreed. I am pretty surprised to see a bigger city like Boise to be hosting a short season A ball team.

Off hand I guess it's a weather thing. Most of the higher A leagues/teams are based in warmer climates (or places where it's at least warmer in Apr/May) while short-season A's are NY area and the Northwest.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #7156
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Whatever happened to that HiFiRevival guy?

I just noticed that he had a bunch of posts quoted in the NHL thread, but none of his actual posts are showing up.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #7157
Rizon
Pro Starter

Name not showing up in original threads or memberlist.

Probably a figment of our imaginations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #7158
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I'm in denial.

Me too.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #7159
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Utah State Senators double down on anti-military stupidity:

Utah State Senate Leader Scott Jenkins angrily attacked a bill that would grant military families who have a member serving overseas for more than 200 days in a year a one year tax break on their property taxes, saying that soldiers receive "all kinds of breaks. We pay for their clothing. We allow them to shop at the PX [post exchange]. And now ... you want me to pay for their taxes on their primary residence. I’m just saying enough."

and then today, another Utah State Senator noted his opposition to a bill that would offer unemployment to those who have to quit their jobs because a family member is being transferred: "suggesting some military spouses might try to obtain jobs just before a transfer so they could enjoy unemployment benefits shortly thereafter."

Thankfully, both bills passed, but sheesh!

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...-bill.html.csp
Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #7160
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Utah State Senate Leader Scott Jenkins angrily attacked a bill that would grant military families who have a member serving overseas for more than 200 days in a year a one year tax break on their property taxes, saying that soldiers receive "all kinds of breaks. We pay for their clothing. We allow them to shop at the PX [post exchange]. And now ... you want me to pay for their taxes on their primary residence. I’m just saying enough."

*facepalm*

Quote:
and then today, another Utah State Senator noted his opposition to a bill that would offer unemployment to those who have to quit their jobs because a family member is being transferred: "suggesting some military spouses might try to obtain jobs just before a transfer so they could enjoy unemployment benefits shortly thereafter."

Don't you have to hold a job for X number of days before you are entitled to unemployment benefits? As in, X > "just before a transfer".
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #7161
DanGarion
Coordinator

Wow, the Order of the Stick Kickstarter is nearly $850,000! I really didn't realize so many people followed this comic.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-reprint-drive
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #7162
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Utah State Senators double down on anti-military stupidity ... Thankfully, both bills passed, but sheesh!
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...-bill.html.csp

In the interest of fairness, allow me to be the one to point out that the opposition in both cases was led by R's.

The unemployment one, honestly, seems like a reasonable argument. The
former however, that's just indefensible stupidity (no pun intended).

There's a state senate that needs a new majority leader, this guy doesn't need to ever be that close to a microphone again.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #7163
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I decided that I wasn't going to be the one to play the political game (after all, enough R's decided that their own senate majority leader was wrong to pass it)..

it was more "How can you defend this and then say such stupid things in your own defense?"
Old 02-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #7164
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I decided that I wasn't going to be the one to play the political game (after all, enough R's decided that their own senate majority leader was wrong to pass it)..

I figured it was only fair for me to take second/third hand ownership of it, most of us have the occasional embarrassing relative in the closet somewhere
Old 02-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #7165
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I think both political parties have more skeletons then closets

(resisting the urge to make "Out of the closet" jokes here)
Old 02-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #7166
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

To change the subject, a pleasant shock today, as I basically got out to my car for the first time in about six weeks (first the pain in the joints issue, and then the eye issues). I basically had AAA's number ready to go as I sat int he car..

but it started right up and ran fine.

Thank god for mild winters..
Old 02-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #7167
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's always touch and go if you don't run it in the winter, but it's great that you passed with flying colors.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #7168
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Credit where it's due: Kevin Costner did a very nice job at Whitney's funeral.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #7169
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

did he sing the song?
Old 02-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #7170
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
did he sing the song?

Nah, but delivered a pretty well written eulogy.

I really had my doubts about how his part might go when I heard the list of participants earlier in the week but he constructed it his speech quite well, using their common experiences growing up in Baptist churches to pull it together.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #7171
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

My pain management doc is switching my pain meds. Today has absolutely SUCKED.

However, while reading the insert that came with the stuff, I see that the manufacturer advises: "Call your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any one or more of these symptoms: you feel agitated, have hallucinations, coma, rapid heart beat, feel overheated, loss of coordination, overactive reflexes,nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea."

I'd like to know how I'm supposed to call my doctor if I'm in a coma.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #7172
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just got contacts for the first time in like 12 years and it's interesting. I don't think Toric lenses were available back then. So nice to be able to buy a 6 month supply for like 50 bucks, vs spending 150 per lens.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #7173
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

BBC Headlines, in order listed:

Syrian troops 'fire on mourners'
Family and friends mourn Houston

I really, really wish they had been reversed.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #7174
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Seeing the names Talor and Shyal and knowing they are white confuses me greatly.

Being 40 in less than two months and thus the whole Age/2 + 7 is working against me at this point. The dating pool of 21-26 is leaps and bounds better than even the 27-30 pool. 31-40 is wait, there is a pool? I was hanging out with a group of friends who were in the 21-26 range and heard them basically lay out how old of a guy they would date as I slowly banged my head. Granted, I don't think just about any of them I would seriously want to date, but it's just that reminder. This would go in the "Things that make you feel old" thread but honestly it's more frustrating than anything.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #7175
MJ4H
Coordinator

Just finished Portal 2. If there are better games out there than Portal and Portal 2, I haven't seen them.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #7176
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Found some jars of Bret "The Diesel" Kiesel Geronimo Salsa at a local grocery store on sale for a buck. Surprisingly not bad, but I could do without the beard hair.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #7177
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Just finished Portal 2. If there are better games out there than Portal and Portal 2, I haven't seen them.

I've heard many people say they like these games. Are they shooters?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #7178
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I've heard many people say they like these games. Are they shooters?

First person puzzlers with exceptional writing and design. And phenomenal voice acting.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #7179
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Everyone should play Portal. They are first person(not a shooter), but there is nothing else like them out there. Puzzles are fun and the style/graphics/art is phenomenal despite requiring a relatively low powered PC.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #7180
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post

On the other hand, I found it to be one most tedious & convoluted gaming experiences of my life. Pretty much the antithesis of what I'm looking for in a game.

edit to add: Okay, not as bad as Assassin's Creed, but close.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-19-2012 at 12:51 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #7181
molson
General Manager

The Oregon coast has to be one of the better vacation values in America. For about what it costs for a Toledo Super 8, you can say on the ocean, waves crashing against the beach and rocks right outside your windows, pretty good seafood, hundreds of miles of ocean and rocky and sandy beaches pretty much all to yourself.

As long as you don't miss sun, I guess.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #7182
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The Oregon coast has to be one of the better vacation values in America. For about what it costs for a Toledo Super 8, you can say on the ocean, waves crashing against the beach and rocks right outside your windows, pretty good seafood, hundreds of miles of ocean and rocky and sandy beaches pretty much all to yourself.

My brother and his family live in Oregon. They post pics and it kind of makes me hate them.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #7183
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
My pain management doc is switching my pain meds. Today has absolutely SUCKED.

However, while reading the insert that came with the stuff, I see that the manufacturer advises: "Call your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any one or more of these symptoms: you feel agitated, have hallucinations, coma, rapid heart beat, feel overheated, loss of coordination, overactive reflexes,nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea."

I'd like to know how I'm supposed to call my doctor if I'm in a coma.

/tk

Ok, today has also sucked. Why on earth my doc switched me the way he did, I have no idea if I'll be able to actually make it to work tomorrow. If this is withdrawal, it REALLY sucks.

/tk
Old 02-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #7184
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Where're you at? I'm partial to the Manzanita area, myself.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #7185
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Where're you at? I'm partial to the Manzanita area, myself.

Yachats this weekend, but I was around Manzanita some yesterday.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #7186
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yachats is nice too. Here's wishing you catch at least 10-minutes of sun-break sometime.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #7187
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My son just mentioned that his school library has added The Walking Dead graphic novels.

Pretty cool.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #7188
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

high school, I hope?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #7189
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
high school, I hope?

He's middle school (8th grade) but there's not a lot of separation between the two in the media center, at least not by 8th.

Considering they read Lord of the Flies earlier this year, it's awfully timely.

I was pretty impressed when he spontaneously connected the two one night & started a discussion about society, group dynamics and the parallels/differences between various characters.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #7190
sabotai
General Manager

What I learned tonight: Germans can not say the "squirrel". (In that, they can't pronounce it correctly.)

Last edited by sabotai : 02-20-2012 at 01:32 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #7191
Grover
Pro Starter

Flipping through channels (thanks insomnia!) and found Doug on. This is like a 20 year time warp, feel like I'm 8 again.

I hope I succeeded in making some of you feel really old by comparison.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #7192
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Ok, today has also sucked. Why on earth my doc switched me the way he did, I have no idea if I'll be able to actually make it to work tomorrow. If this is withdrawal, it REALLY sucks.

/tk

And after a horrible night last night (woke up at midnight in pain and couldn't take medicine until 2, it didn't kick in until 3) I've taken today off. Luckily I called the doc and he said I could do every 6 hours instead of every 8.

/tk
Old 02-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #7193
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to see that, Kristen. Pain sucks.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #7194
Grover
Pro Starter

Interview at the local (evil) FOX affiliate later this week. Whoo!

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #7195
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I needed a small flashlight. There were several brands that I never heard of that had on the package "With Energizer Batteries!" that showed that they in fact, did.

I decided on the Energizer LED flashlight. The batteries were already in it so you could test it right in the package. When I open up the flashlight... Eveready batteries!

Does that make any sense?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #7196
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I needed a small flashlight. There were several brands that I never heard of that had on the package "With Energizer Batteries!" that showed that they in fact, did.

I decided on the Energizer LED flashlight. The batteries were already in it so you could test it right in the package. When I open up the flashlight... Eveready batteries!

Does that make any sense?

That's pretty bizarre.
Although apparently not an accident (which was my first guess)

http://www.doitbest.com/Batteries-En...sku-808377.dib
Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #7197
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Energizer makes Eveready
Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #7198
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Energizer makes Eveready

Yeah, that's why I kinda suspected it was a mix-up during the manuf. process somewhere, as the lines switched over or whatever.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #7199
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't fucking breathe. Already took too much sinus/anti allergy stuff today. Going to have to go to the store and get on the watch list and buy some fucking sudafed tomorrow. Sigh.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #7200
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Energizer makes Eveready

I figured this was probably the case... just find it weird they would plaster their batteries all over the place. Other than in their own branded flashlight, that is.