Poli
FOFC Survivor

Bump for Shorty.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #103
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast View Post
I kept my eyes and ears open, and heard the coach, FC2 Will Kerchee(Fire Controlman, 2nd class. I'm an ET2, electronics technician, 2nd class) talking to my boss about the team. I told them I was interested, and it went from there.

This is my ongoing story: Ardent, the softball player.

Thanks for everything, Will. Love you, bro.

Will Kerchee, 1974-2007.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:25 AM   #104
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Wednesday's practice was cancelled after we got to the field and it was already filled, but the ET A school students challenged us to a preseason game on Thursday.

I batted 2nd this time around, following Hutter in the lineup. I started out at shortstop as well.

I hit well this time, and played well on the field. 3 for 4, with my only out on a ground ball to third. Once again I rotated from short to right, so that others could get a chance to field some at short. Later in the game, I'm rotated to left field to try and get some practice catching fly balls.

That lasted one batter.

The first batter hit a fly ball deep to left and I turned to run after it. I ran into the fence, and bounced off of it. It's hard to recall how far I bounced off of it, but it had to be a couple of feet at least. I noticed that the ball was on the ground, so I picked it up and threw in to Smith, who was playing short.

The ball sailed on me, and my index finger felt raw, so I had a look. Blood. Lots of it, too. Eddie, the left centerfielder, asked me if the ball was fair (thanks for the concern, Eddie). I vaguely recall seeing the foul poll, and I was to the right of the poll. It was a fair ball.

My finger still hurt. I took another look. JeeberD! It looks like I may have cut the tip of my finger pretty bad. In fact, I was worried I may end up losing it. I called time as Will was about to throw a pitch.

I held up my finger and told him I couldn't throw and needed to come out. I got razzed a bit for that, and sent to right field (hey, I need to come out!), and the outfielders rotated over.

I spent the time of the next three batters kneeling down on the ground covering my finger, when finally Will called for a sub. The hater.

After the team got off the field, Will took a look at the finger, and sent me next door to the hospital. The Naval Hospital is literally next door. If you hit the ball out of the park to right or right center, it's likely to land in the hospital parking lot.

I got there and they readjusted my finger (I guess it was slightly dislocated or something). It caused the nurse to think my index finger might be broken, so my finger was pinched in a couple of different places to make sure it wasn't.

Fortunately, it was not broken. The doctor took a look and said it wasn't as deep as it looked. The skin that was ripped would die, though, and new skin would form up underneath. I could opt for stitches, but it might keep me off the field longer, and wouldn't necessarily heal my finger any better. Remedy? Bandaids and aspirin.

And I'm out for an indefinite amount of time.

Remembering Will. When this happened, Will said, "Poli, don't be a sissy. Rub some dirt on it."

When we got to the dugout and he saw it, he said, "OK, sissy, go to the ER."
Old 01-19-2022, 11:16 AM   #105
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I guess Will the coach liked my speed and thought he'd try me there. .

I miss you, Will. 15 years you have been gone.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:41 AM   #106
Poli
FOFC Survivor

This sparked a fire in me to go back...so I did. The old field is retired now. The hospital was torn down about 7 years ago and you wouldn't know it had been there. That whole side of the base is a ghost town.

I took some swings. I reminisced. I took stuff home with me. The other fields, the ones I didn't play on as much...they are now turf. Thankful they retired this one so I could touch the grass. Feel the dirt and mud.

Thank you for the memories.