Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #351
bob
College Starter

No offense to the fans of Winnipeg, but this makes me happy.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #352
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
Sucks for the Jets - but I'd say they have a fairly bright future and should be returning to the playoffs regularly as long as they don't make too many bad decisions/prospects don't pan out.

They are in good hands with Chevy and I think the prospects are going to be fine. The biggest issue will be keeping the right pieces of the existing core intact while they wait for the youth to mature. They can't sign all of Frolik, Stafford, Stempniak, and Tlusty but it would be really good if they could keep one of them (especially if that one is either Frolik or Stafford).

But the biggest decision will be with Ladd and Buff; do they trade one of both of them during the offseason or do they re-sign them? Those are two super, super tough decisions that will have a big impact on the next few years.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #353
bob
College Starter

The Thrashers never retired a number, but kept #37 out of use. That was Dan Snyder 's number. Wonder how long the Jets keep that going.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #354
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
No you don't, CR. You have a soul and are a decent human being. You're tolerating them for the moment. Or you're suffering from a type of Stockholm Syndrome.

Not even their mothers like them.

Ryan Kesler grew up in Michigan, loved the Colorado Avalanche and went to Ohio State just to be evil and spiteful. Even his old teammates, like RJ Umberger, hate him.

Corey Perry has the most punchable face in the last 30 years.

lol... that Kesler hate seems to be more about his actions in Michigan, so I don't have that same hate for him.

Perry's face is definitely punchable. I still give most punchable face, though, to Claude Lemieux (in the last 30 years).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #355
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am happy to have this series in the rear view.

While the Ducks pulled away in last night's game, the other three games were all very tight and could have gone either way. Kudos to the Jets playing so well. I am sure they are going places.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #356
The Jackal
Coordinator

I don't know, I think a lot of people want to punch Sean Avery in the face.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #357
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I don't know, I think a lot of people want to punch Sean Avery in the face.

I find Sean Avery too delightful. He's an ass of the highest order, but he makes me laugh.

Corey Perry never makes me laugh.

Neither does Ryan Getzlaf for that matter. His last name is terribly deceptive.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #358
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Thanks for showing up last night Blues.
They were a completely different team last night. After watching Devan Dubnyk schlep through the start of the season for Arizona (routinely giving up 3-4 goals, including a 6 goal performance a week before he was traded), it was nice the see the goalie I witnessed for the Coyotes show back up.

My only real complaint is that the team continues to play Steve Ott. He's an idiot who continually makes bonehead decisions. The penalty he took at the end of the 1st period (when the Blues had all the momentum) could have been costly had Stastny not scored and made it 4-1. He's played 8-10 minutes a game and already has 26 PIM. Given how tenuous this series has been, there's no place for stupid penalties by a guy who really doesn't offer anything else.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:02 PM   #359
Dutch
"Dutch"

Just watched Tampa Bay come back from 2-0 with 5 minutes to go to win 3-2 in OT in Detroit. I turned the game on in the 3rd period when I got home and thought, well, so much for this season. And just like that, the Lightning are back to life!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #360
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
The Thrashers never retired a number, but kept #37 out of use. That was Dan Snyder 's number. Wonder how long the Jets keep that going.

Probably forever, or at least for as long as Chipman and Thompson own the team. They have shown that they are very respectful of things of that nature. The players have Rick Rypien decals on their helmets and he never even laced up for the team (though he did have a history with the Moose). The sticker this year was an 11 for the Project 11 foundation that True North created in his memory in support of Hockey Talks. He was going to wear number 11 with the Jets because his normal number, 37, was of course Snyder's.

I suspect you'll never see a Winnipeg Jet in 37 or 11.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 04-24-2015, 12:06 AM   #361
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Let's Go Preds

(hey, my son adopted them in the absence of a team so ... wth, why not)
Old 04-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #362
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

These f#*%& Blues, yeah come home after a dominating Game 4 win and then crap the bed. Keep playing Jackman instead of Bortuzzo, play Goc instead of calling up Rattie. Whatever.. if baseball season starts for me Sunday, so be it.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #363
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Two questions:

1) When did Wild become a two syllable word?
2) Why don't we have a Stanley Cup Playoff thread?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:18 PM   #365
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
These f#*%& Blues, yeah come home after a dominating Game 4 win and then crap the bed. Keep playing Jackman instead of Bortuzzo, play Goc instead of calling up Rattie. Whatever.. if baseball season starts for me Sunday, so be it.
It's time for baseball season. Another disappointing playoff season for the Blues. Can't wait for the 2016 NHL thread in April when the Blues come follow up another 100 point season with a first round exit
Old 04-26-2015, 07:25 PM   #366
bhlloy
Coordinator

Seems like Hitchcock just blew the goalie decision similar to Boudreau last year - with two similar guys I'm not sure why you go with the younger less experienced one for an elimination game
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:55 PM   #367
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
It's time for baseball season. Another disappointing playoff season for the Blues. Can't wait for the 2016 NHL thread in April when the Blues come follow up another 100 point season with a first round exit

Yeah, it gets old but something us Blues fans are all used to.

Time to get rid of some of these vets who just can't turn it on in the playoffs.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #368
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Islanders with only seven SOG after two periods, but only down one goal.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #369
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Islanders with only seven SOG after two periods, but only down one goal.

Watched some of that and it seems the Capitals have been keeping the puck around the Islanders goal for 5 minutes at a time.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:39 AM   #370
Logan
Head Coach

We've allowed this thread to fall way too much.

Great series between NYR and WAS. I am still physically drained from the mental anguish of last night coupled with standing 2 ft in front of the TV for the entire game.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #371
bob
College Starter

I thought Ovechkin was going to finally break through last night. Now I'm thinking he's going to have to leave Washington. Tough couple of years for the guy between this and the Olympics.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #372
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Looking ahead at the schedule, I was a little surprised that they scheduled Game 1 of the ECF first (on Saturday) followed by the WCF on Sunday. The WCF finalists have been sitting on their collective tookus for a week (Ducks) and a week and a half (Hawks).

Old 05-14-2015, 11:33 AM   #373
Logan
Head Coach

Pretty sure the same thing happened last year. I think those are just prescheduled for whatever reason.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #374
Logan
Head Coach

Not a Penguins hater, just thought this was funny...

Old 05-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #375
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I thought Ovechkin was going to finally break through last night. Now I'm thinking he's going to have to leave Washington. Tough couple of years for the guy between this and the Olympics.
People are gonna blame that series loss on Ovechkin???
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #376
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

we'll take him.

signed,
every other NHL team
Old 05-14-2015, 02:20 PM   #377
The Jackal
Coordinator

That discovery tweet was so epic.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #378
The Jackal
Coordinator

And to actually comment on the hockey, I'm sad that I was right about the Rangers winning that series. They'll probably beat the Lightning too, but the Lightning can match them with speed and have a pretty good defense themselves. They'll need Bishop to equal or probably better Lundqvist.

I really have no idea what to make of the Ducks, only expect the Hawks to win because they know what it takes and are still built very well.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #379
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

As a Clips fan, I view this series the same way I did the Clips-Spurs series.

The Ducks are the team that is (ostensibly) the better team, judging by regular season records, much like the Clips were over the Spurs (barely).

But it took the Clips elevating their game to the next level to beat the Spurs. They had to prove they could do that.

It's much the same with the Ducks. They will need to go out and prove they can play with and beat a tested former champion in the Hawks.

The issue I see with this is that the Ducks are really not as strong as their record would indicate, going off of GD. They have had an amazing ability to win close games. That's gone on for some time actually, and suggests they can win in the playoffs, too. But it also says they're a team that relies on willing to the win rather than winning it solely through effective play and talent. They won't have any advantages here over a team like the Hawks.

So it will be interesting to see what kind of Ducks team shows up and if they have it in them to beat the Hawks in a series.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:27 PM   #380
bob
College Starter

I wasn't blaming him for the loss I was just saying I thought this was finally the year that he was gonna win something.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:55 PM   #381
britrock88
Pro Starter

I'll leave my belated sigh here for the Canadiens having the better of Games 1 and 3 and winning neither. Too deep a hole to climb out of.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #382
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Sad state of FOFC when not only isn't there a dedicated Stanley Cup Playoff thread but the NHL thread hasn't even had a post while the conference finals have been going on.

Jeez, the crappy NBA playoffs even have a thread...

This Ducks team is kind of fun to watch.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:14 AM   #383
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I would post but I haven't watched a game since the Jets were eliminated. I'm not sure why as I'm sure the hockey has been great but I just haven't been able to bring myself to turn it on.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:14 AM   #384
digamma
Torchbearer

That was some header goal last night even if it didn't count.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #386
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I haven't watched too much since the Wings lost. I will likely have a game on, but usually it's just something in the background when I'm doing something else. I have no strong opinions about any of the teams left.

As for the whole Babcock thing. If he goes, he goes. It will suck, because he's a pretty great coach, but it's his right. It's sounding like Buffalo is going to throw a ton of money at him and he has every right to take it. He's done right by the Wings and I would wish him well.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #387
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I think this Ducks-Hawks game will be a ton of fun to watch, no matter who you root for (or against).

Old 05-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #388
The Jackal
Coordinator

I've been watching more of the playoffs than I thought I would, but I won't lie and say I'm not discouraged by the Flyers absence. I saw that the game last night was heading into OT and considered staying up for a minute.. probably a good thing I chose not to, haha.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #389
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've been watching more of the playoffs than I thought I would, but I won't lie and say I'm not discouraged by the Flyers absence. I saw that the game last night was heading into OT and considered staying up for a minute.. probably a good thing I chose not to, haha.

But we have a shiny new coach and 32 year old KHL defenseman!

Feel the excitement!

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #390
Grover
Pro Starter

Dreger is reporting Babcock to the Leafs, 8 years, 50 mil

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #391
cmp
Pro Rookie

Goodbye Babcock, hello Blashill.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #392
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

That's some crazy money right there. The Wings best offer was well below that.

Good for Babcock for getting paid. He was a great coach for the Wings. Should be crazy interesting to see what happens in Toronto. It will be a crazy circus. No doubt it will give plenty of fodder for our boy, Maple Leafs.

Blashill has been great in GR. Hopefully that will translate to the NHL.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #393
Logan
Head Coach

Will be crazy to see what happens with coaches' salaries in general now.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #394
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dollars aside, who gives a coach an 8 year contract? That's insane. The Leafs will be hiring his 3rd replacement before his contract is over.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #395
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Sad state of FOFC when not only isn't there a dedicated Stanley Cup Playoff thread but the NHL thread hasn't even had a post while the conference finals have been going on.

Jeez, the crappy NBA playoffs even have a thread...

This Ducks team is kind of fun to watch.

Didn't even watch the games on the weekend...Hockey NIGHT in Canada started at 11am local time (and I don't live in Japan).
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #396
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Afternoon games are the worst idea ever for playoff hockey in Canada.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #397
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Dollars aside, who gives a coach an 8 year contract? That's insane. The Leafs will be hiring his 3rd replacement before his contract is over.

Out of all the things to criticize about the Leafs, this is what you choose, contract length. Who cares, they can afford it.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #398
Dutch
"Dutch"

Damn, the Rangers were up 2-0 and then apparently the Lightning got a motivational speech from Mike Tyson....4-2 Bolts in the 2nd. GO BOLTS!!!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #399
Dutch
"Dutch"

Ugh..and before I'm done typing it's 4-3. Tyson must've gone over to the Rangers to give them a motivational speech. That whore.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #400
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Out of all the things to criticize about the Leafs, this is what you choose, contract length. Who cares, they can afford it.

I suppose that's true, it's just that it is ridiculous. How many NHL coaches make it 8 years with one team? In the entire Leafs history the list is:

Dick Irvin
Hap Day
Punch Imlach
Pat Quinn

Only one of those names is from the last 45 years. And outside of Babcock the only other active coach at 8 years with the same team is Claude Julien, who may not live to see a 9th.

Yeah I guess it's a dumb gripe, but it just strikes me as silly to sign a coach to that kind of term. Sort of like the old Ilya Kovalchuk-era player contracts. 15 years eh?