Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2023, 10:33 AM   #401
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Padres starting a knuckleballer tonight.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 07:00 PM   #402
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Baseball needs the Braves and the Reds to play in a playoff series. Preferably a 7 game series. There would be like 200 runs scored.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 10:00 PM   #403
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Angels have 23 runs though 4 innings against the Rockies
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 04:53 AM   #404
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Angels have 23 runs though 4 innings against the Rockies

With Ohtani and Trout barely contributing. Baseball is soooo weird

Also, can anybody explain why there is apparently a rule prohibiting this:

As in "why the hell is there a need for that to (apparently) illegal?

(I am told this was a "balk" that the pitcher, Ryan Stanek, got called for and after the call got mad as shit stopping just short of maiming that umpire).
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 11:13 PM   #405
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

An honest to goodness perfect game that I watched the last couple innings of and didn't cause to be broken up by turning it on. Congrats to German, even if it was the A's.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 11:28 AM   #406
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It is June 29th and the Pirates have more wins than the Mets.
Old 06-29-2023, 04:44 PM   #407
Ksyrup

Man, the Twitter takes about wife-beater German giving up no hits to the A's are brutal.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-29-2023, 06:11 PM   #408
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Man, the Twitter takes about wife-beater German giving up no hits to the A's are brutal.

It only took me a minute or so to realize you were not talking about a German, as opposed to Domingo German.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 02:18 AM   #409
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day
Old 07-01-2023, 08:30 AM   #410
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Happy Bobby Bonilla Day

One of the best moves the Mets ever made.
Old 07-01-2023, 09:48 AM   #411
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One of the best moves the Mets ever made.

Probably one of the higher "Contract money to wins generated" on the team this year too.
Old 07-01-2023, 03:04 PM   #412
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Shohei Ohtani is on pace to hit .310 with 58 HR, 29 2B, 9 3B, 20 SB, 129 RBI, while going 14-6 with a 3.02 ERA and 245 K.

That is literally insane. I think we're in the middle of the greatest individual seasons in the history of sports

Last edited by Ghost Econ : 07-01-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 06:17 PM   #413
GrantDawg

Imagine what he would look like in a Braves uniform.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2023, 06:39 PM   #414
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Happy Bobby Bonilla Day

Someone on Twitter pointed out that today is also the day Max Scherzer collects $15M from the Nats for the next 3 years, and then the Dodgers pick it up for the 4th year. In addition to the $43M he's making this year.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:42 PM   #415
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I think Manny or Pedro gets paid by the Red Sox today.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:51 PM   #416
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Not sure when he gets it, but the Reds are still paying Jr. 3.5 mil a year.
Old 07-04-2023, 12:16 PM   #417
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

dola

Had a great time at the Yankees game last night. Fun game, fun fireworks after the game, and a badass hawk that sat on the top of the RF foul pole for the last third of the game.
Old 07-05-2023, 08:40 PM   #418
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

double dola

Elly just stole third on a pitch out.
Old 07-05-2023, 08:44 PM   #419
Ksyrup

And this.

Old 07-05-2023, 08:56 PM   #420
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

He's so perfect for Cincy. That city loves hard-working, cocky guys. He'll own the city before he's through.
Old 07-05-2023, 08:59 PM   #421
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
He's so perfect for Cincy. That city loves hard-working, cocky guys. He'll own the city before he's through.

He is everything they thought they were getting with Ken Griffey Jr except he is home grown
Old 07-05-2023, 09:07 PM   #422
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Tonight might mark rock bottom for the Cardinals.
Old 07-05-2023, 09:10 PM   #423
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

I hope so, he's so much fun to watch.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 09:15 PM   #424
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Tonight might mark rock bottom for the Cardinals.

{checks box score, sees highlight}

Oh my.

That was ... Metstacular
Old 07-05-2023, 10:08 PM   #425
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think LA has done that at least a half dozen times this year. It's been miserable.

Like Steam?

Old 07-06-2023, 10:12 AM   #426
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Crazy to think that a yar ago Elly was in High A ball.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:02 PM   #427
Swaggs
Coordinator

I've been reading up on the draft this year and it is apparently loaded due to this being 3-years after the 5-round Covid year draft. A lot more high school guys went to college than normal without the exposure from their senior years and limits number of draftees that year and those kids are now draft eligible for the first time since 2020. They are saying that there are five guys that would be strong #1 overall picks during most years (rankings per Keith Law):

OF Dylan Crews, LSU
OF Wyatt Langford, Florida
SP Paul Skenes, LSU
OF Max Clark, HS out of Indiana
OF Walker Jenkins, HS out of North Carolina

Top 5 Draft Order:

1.) Pittsburgh
2.) Washington
3.) Detroit
4.) Texas
5.) Minnesota

Also, some legacy players with Jacob Wilson (father is former SS Jack Wilson) and George Lombard, Jr. (father is former OF George Lombard) expected to go in the first round.

I'm hoping the Pirates go with Crews or Langford. They seem comparable, close to the majors and impact bats, with Crews supposedly more polished and able to play CF competently and Langford more athletic with a little better power. Skenes has been mentioned as a player that could be in a MLB bullpen this season and has stuff that has been compared to Strasburg and Cole, but supposedly does not have an MLB-ready third pitch (and that is a deal breaker with SP from my years of playing OOTP) and threw a ton of innings this year. Law said in a recent chat that, if he had to choose the player most likely to win multiple MVP awards from this class, it would be Jenkins or Clark.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 09:50 PM   #428
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Any thoughts on betting the HR derby? Do they re-seed after the first round?

Re:the draft, I’m in on Skenes at near slot or Langford at something like 1-1.5 under. Lots of talk that Crews will want to be over slot.
Old 07-07-2023, 01:51 PM   #429
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Any thoughts on betting the HR derby? Do they re-seed after the first round?

Re:the draft, I’m in on Skenes at near slot or Langford at something like 1-1.5 under. Lots of talk that Crews will want to be over slot.

I don't think it will be Crews for the Pirates - it seems like he is trying to get to the Nationals (apparently Marcello Mayer did the same thing with the Pirates in 2021 - that it would be one price for the Pirates at #1, but less for a more desirable teams like Boston). I'd really prefer them to get a college player because I feel like their window (if they have one) is '24-'26 and a high school guy is likely going to come along too late (a la Josh Bell and Jameson Taillon during the last 'window'). Skenes or Langford will make me happy, but I prefer power bat over the risk of a pitcher. I guess picking 2nd or 3rd is really almost as good this year.

I read that the Pirates have not had a player hit 40 or more homers in a season since Willie Stargell in 1973, which is just unbelievable. The next closest teams were Rays (Carlos Pena, 2007), Indians/Guardians (Travis Hafner, 2006), Cubs (Derek Lee, 2005), and Giants (Bonds, 2004). Every other team has had one in the last 25-years. It is insane that they went through the steroid era and juiced ball era without getting close. Josh Bell hit 37 in 2019 and Pedro Alvarez had 36 in 2013 (Bay and Giles each hit 35 once, too).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 03:51 PM   #430
henry296
College Starter

I know in baseball, you really shouldn't draft for need, but with these college guys pretty close to MLB ready and a potential window in the next few years, I might lean pitching as that is a bigger need especially if you think Reynolds, Suwinski and Davis is the future outfield. If they went Langford, then perhaps Suwinski is the DH.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:53 PM   #431
GrantDawg

The Braves have 28 more home runs than any other team and the most home runs in history for any team before the All-star break.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2023, 09:23 PM   #432
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm in Seattle for a cruise that leaves Monday. all star game if here Tuesday. Our hotel is where all the players, et al are staying. Just saw Matt Holiday and Gary Shefield. Rumor is Jeter will be here. Really hoping I meet Pete Alonso.
Old 07-07-2023, 09:49 PM   #433
Ksyrup

Cool!
Old 07-07-2023, 11:48 PM   #434
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I know in baseball, you really shouldn't draft for need, but with these college guys pretty close to MLB ready and a potential window in the next few years, I might lean pitching as that is a bigger need especially if you think Reynolds, Suwinski and Davis is the future outfield. If they went Langford, then perhaps Suwinski is the DH.

They claim to still think of Davis as a catcher. He may be a 1b, but I doubt he’d a RF for long.
Old 07-08-2023, 03:45 AM   #435
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post

Alek Manoah was sent to the Complex League because he can't find the strike zone.

And suddenly he's back looking alright despite giving up a gajillion runs in a Rookie League Start less than 2 weeks ago. Weird game this
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 08:31 AM   #436
Ksyrup

Well, it was the Tigers, so...
Old 07-08-2023, 03:59 PM   #437
bronconick
College Starter

Speaking of whom, three random Tigers just no-hit the Blue Jays. Baseball is weird.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 04:10 PM   #438
Ksyrup

Old 07-08-2023, 06:26 PM   #439
PilotMan
Head Coach

Holy shit

https://www.mlb.com/news/elly-de-la-..._article-share

Like Steam?

Old 07-08-2023, 06:35 PM   #440
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

He's a fucking cheat code.

edit: And in wacky baseball news, in the minors.. the Red Sox no-hit the.. Red Sox?

https://www.mlb.com/news/red-sox-dsl..._article-share

Last edited by SirFozzie : 07-08-2023 at 06:38 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 06:25 AM   #441
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

yup....brewers were drunk. SO he stole 3 fucking bases. Guy's a beast
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 06:26 AM   #442
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
He's a fucking cheat code.

edit: And in wacky baseball news, in the minors.. the Red Sox no-hit the.. Red Sox?

https://www.mlb.com/news/red-sox-dsl..._article-share

lol a cheat code. I love that
Old 07-09-2023, 11:50 AM   #443
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Apparently only the second guy to steal three bases in on AB, joining Rod Carew.
Old 07-09-2023, 01:53 PM   #444
BYU 14
Coordinator

I was looking at this, Cobb did it 4 times in the same inning, but no indication it was ever the same at bat. The fact it has only happened twice ever is pretty cool.

As an aside, Cobb, who played from 1907 to 1928 stole home at least once in every season of his major league career except 1925.

Ty Cobb Stealing Home | Research by Baseball Almanac
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 04:10 PM   #445
Atocep
Coordinator

Some speculation that Crews falls to 3 today as the Nationals prefer Skenes because of how quickly he could jump into the rotation.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 07:56 PM   #446
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pirates are going to pull a reverse Van Benschoten on Skenes and make him a hitter.

Last edited by stevew : 07-10-2023 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2023, 09:59 PM   #447
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Pirates are going to pull a reverse Benschotten on Skenes and make him a hitter.

I worked with his then fiance after he got drafted. I remember her being so optimistic and hot.

Like Steam?

Old 07-09-2023, 11:35 PM   #448
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Me and a buddy just had a couple of drinks at the hotel bar and watched tons of MLB guys come into the hotel.
Old 07-12-2023, 02:13 PM   #449
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just following up on the Nats thing, apparently the earliest they can draft in 2024 is the 11th pick.

Blocked
Old 07-12-2023, 05:13 PM   #450
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Me and a buddy just had a couple of drinks at the hotel bar and watched tons of MLB guys come into the hotel.

you were ballergoggling