Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #21901
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So these questions appears on the job application where I work

How do people with a high school diploma get this question wrong?

How do people that are breathing get this question wrong?

I'm trying to teach my 6yo that right now in home school. We're not there yet

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #21902
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How do people with a high school diploma get this question wrong? How do people that are breathing get this question wrong?

Both of those things have REALLY low bars.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:07 PM   #21903
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
So these questions appears on the job application where I work

How do people with a high school diploma get this question wrong?

Arrogance.

EDIT: Also we, as a country, hate math.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 09-22-2021 at 03:10 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:09 PM   #21904
tarcone
Coordinator

We should use the metric system.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:31 AM   #21905
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
We should use the metric system.

+ eleventy billion
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:12 AM   #21906
Kodos
Resident Alien

Holy cow. There’s a guy on a Hoosiers board that I frequent. In the last week, he’s posted:

1. A thread called “The Hoosiers Being Targeted?”

Quote:
Was Tom Allen and his team culture being targeted. Think about it. Not a popular choice proclaiming to be a devout Christian as coach does as well as many of the players and coaches. it preserves the big money game is a couple weeks when Cincy plays the Irish. The play was so not noticeable the QBs head never moved. Thomas Allen was targeted in clear view with no targeting called and no ejection. Was Penix sharp, no. could we and should we have still won the game, yes. but when you play against the system you must play perfect and we don't. sometimes the cheating is so obvious its stupid. This was one of those times. Maybe I am way off base? So someone else answer the why.

2. Next, in a thread about our upcoming game against WKU:

Quote:

I watched Coach Allen and coach Charlton's press conference from Monday. Both were asked about LB James Miller. Both avoided the question like the plague? I starting to think there may be some internal problems with this team. Along with Miller don't see much of LB Bryant Fitzgerald this year either except on special teams. Something not passing the eye test here. Anybody hearing anything out there. Sure looks like a team thats not together......

3. And then, the capper. In a thread about our former OC, Mike Debord, having a stroke:

Quote:

I wonder if he just got the Jab?

This guy has to be in QAnon. Everything is a conspiracy!

Last edited by Kodos : 09-23-2021 at 06:15 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:58 PM   #21907
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

We decided to buy some new family room furniture right before Labor Day. We were told one piece would be available in 4-6 weeks but the other was on backorder and would likely take 6 months. They told us when they call, to tell them you want both delivered together.

Today, they called... and told us both pieces are ready for delivery! We are not in any way ready for new furniture - we have no way to get rid of the current sectional, we're going out of town in a week, and we still don't have new end tables and coffee table picked out or ordered, since we just assumed it would be February 2022 at earliest before we got our new furniture.

I mean, I'm not going to bitch about it being ready ahead of schedule, but in an effort to ensure we weren't pissed if we didn't get it for months, they basically assured us not to expect it for 5-6 months.

YAY.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:49 PM   #21908
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

https://www.fox13news.com/news/dog-t...brian-laundrie

Well shit, If this doesn't warrant a post than what does?
Old 09-26-2021, 06:33 AM   #21909
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I just unfollow the people who make my blood pressure soar, been a much better experience.

This. I also make heavy use of the block function. I still enjoy the social aspect of Facebook and hate Twitter. One of the FB groups I've joined has been fantastic for professional teaching development, too.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:04 PM   #21910
Critch
lolzcat

My wife is out of town and I was left with orders to not just sit on the couch drinking coffee and watching tv while she was away. My normal MO. I was to go out and do something.

Following orders I wandered down to the center of town and went to a bar for lunch, then another bar for a post-lunch tipple. Wandered in sat at the bar, asked the barmaid for a menu of their draft beers and she pushed a barcode square thing over and said "it's all on there, hun" and wandered off.

Don't think I've ever felt so old and tech obsolete as I did when I had no idea what to do with a barcode square. I now know how my dad felt when his bank went online only.

Last edited by Critch : 09-26-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:41 PM   #21911
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere

Many years ago when I used to work at KFC, there was a customer who came through drive-thru and seriously inquired how many pieces of chicken came in a 16-piece meal.

The great majority of people are smarter than that. At the same time, it's remarkable how many are not. The incomprehensibly stupid are among us, and quite often it's not their own fault. Some people are just dumber than most of us want to imagine.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:28 PM   #21912
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
My wife is out of town and I was left with orders to not just sit on the couch drinking coffee and watching tv while she was away. My normal MO. I was to go out and do something.

Following orders I wandered down to the center of town and went to a bar for lunch, then another bar for a post-lunch tipple. Wandered in sat at the bar, asked the barmaid for a menu of their draft beers and she pushed a barcode square thing over and said "it's all on there, hun" and wandered off.

Don't think I've ever felt so old and tech obsolete as I did when I had no idea what to do with a barcode square. I now know how my dad felt when his bank went online only.

First experience with that was at PF Changs about 2-3 months ago and the server coached us. Know how you feel but don't feel too bad ... plenty of restaurants still use plain old menus.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:21 AM   #21913
molson
General Manager

My phone camera doesn't turn the barcode square thing into a thing. If that's even how that works. But I can usually find the menu on the website. Or my girlfriend has to pull it up on her phone and show it to me.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:55 AM   #21914
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
You'll need to download a 'QR Code reader' that let's your phone camera decode the square and then it will send you to a website
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:23 AM   #21915
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Modern phones (at least on the Android side, don't know how iphones work), don't need an extra app. Just use your camera and hover over the QR code.

Though, sometimes it simply doesn't register. They're a pain in the ass.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #21916
Critch
lolzcat

I went for the mature response of waiting til she wasnt looking then sneaking out and going somewhere else instead. It's in a little block with 4 bars so I didnt have time for their newfangled menu nonsense.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #21917
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I went for the mature response of waiting til she wasnt looking then sneaking out and going somewhere else instead. It's in a little block with 4 bars so I didnt have time for their newfangled menu nonsense.

That's pretty awesome and I would have done the same thing. Social Anxiety!
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:35 AM   #21918
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I did a year at the local community college when I was 18 and I always remember old people taking classes but not getting a grade or anything. I think they called it auditing? Anyway, there is a campus of the CC right by my house and I drove by and thought to myself, may be nice to audit a class there in a subject I am interested in, like the old people did when I went there. It then dawned on me the very real possibility that the "old people" I am remembering, some were likely the age I am at now.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #21919
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I don't sneak out ... but those places don't get my business either. They know precisely why they lost a customer.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:02 PM   #21920
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I did a year at the local community college when I was 18 and I always remember old people taking classes but not getting a grade or anything. I think they called it auditing? Anyway, there is a campus of the CC right by my house and I drove by and thought to myself, may be nice to audit a class there in a subject I am interested in, like the old people did when I went there. It then dawned on me the very real possibility that the "old people" I am remembering, some were likely the age I am at now.

I've thought that it would be awesome if a university had an audit-only class for people in the community called "Cool Stuff." And it was just, like, two weeks of lectures of the coolest stuff we know about dinosaurs, followed by two weeks of the coolest stuff we know about astronomy, followed by two weeks of the coolest stuff we know about the ocean, etc. Each two-week session would be taught by a professor of that area who just prepped for their part of the class.

And, yeah, you can kind of get the same thing through youtubes and podcasts and the like, but this would all be in one place and you'd have the professors there to ask questions to, etc.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:35 PM   #21921
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I've thought that it would be awesome if a university had an audit-only class for people in the community called "Cool Stuff." And it was just, like, two weeks of lectures of the coolest stuff we know about dinosaurs, followed by two weeks of the coolest stuff we know about astronomy, followed by two weeks of the coolest stuff we know about the ocean, etc. Each two-week session would be taught by a professor of that area who just prepped for their part of the class.

And, yeah, you can kind of get the same thing through youtubes and podcasts and the like, but this would all be in one place and you'd have the professors there to ask questions to, etc.

I would do that in a second
Old 09-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #21922
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
This. I also make heavy use of the block function. I still enjoy the social aspect of Facebook and hate Twitter. One of the FB groups I've joined has been fantastic for professional teaching development, too.

This is what I'm struggling with. I've actually been off of FB for nearly a week and it's fine, but I really don't want to miss out on a lot of information and fun I have in several of the communities I've joined. I'd seriously want to cull 99.8% of personal relationships, but even that doesn't help with family stalkers. And that's a ton of work.

FB used to be decent when the timeline was chronological like Twitter and it didn't restrict you to your top 30 or whatever most important follows. It just sucks when I saw the same stuff from the same people every time I opened it, or had to dig to get to the Most Recent button every. single. time I opened it.

I'm going on semi-vacation next week so if I'm going to devote enough time to paring it down, I guess that might be the best time.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #21923
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I just had it be a slow process. I would generally give someone one shot. They second time they posted dumb shut I hit the unfollow button. Over the course of a few weeks you weed enough out that it really helps.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:12 PM   #21924
Ksyrup

It's not even about people who piss me off anymore. I just don't want to see any of it. I want to turn FB into my own personal message board filled with topics I want to read about and posts from people who share the same interests. And that's about it. A small portion are people I'd still follow - many of them musicians I interact with and am entertained by - but mostly it's just groups.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:28 PM   #21925
spleen1015
Coordinator

If you're not willing to give it up, I would create a second account only for the things you enjoy.

Or purge your real account of the shit you don't want to see.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:33 PM   #21926
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
I just had it be a slow process. I would generally give someone one shot. They second time they posted dumb shut I hit the unfollow button. Over the course of a few weeks you weed enough out that it really helps.
This. I will admit at this point I only see a very small number of peoples messages. That mosty speaks to how many of my family/friends all got sucked into the dark-side. Heck, the only one of my three sisters who I actually thought had sense sent me this messenger tirade a few days ago about the evils of the Democrats, and she just doesn't want my children to end up speaking Chinese, which I guess will happen if we don't reinstate Trump. It sucks.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:38 AM   #21927
Edward64
Head Coach

Article on cheating prevention in India. I get kids can cheat using internet accessible devices but this strikes me as weird. Instead of shutting down the internet for 25M people, why not (1) collect devices before entering the test hall and (2) hire enough people to walk up and down the rows, around the tables etc. And don't forget that (3) teachers/graders are also a point of failure.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/28/tech/...hnk/index.html
Quote:
More than 25 million people across the Indian state of Rajasthan faced government-mandated internet shutdowns and restrictions on Sunday, in an effort to prevent cheating in a mass exam.

Hundreds of thousands of candidates sat the Rajasthan Teacher Eligibility Test (REET), an exam that paves the way to employment as a primary or secondary school teacher at government-run schools.
The face masks thing below seems reasonable. I guess formulas can be written down.
Quote:
Other anti-cheating measures included CCTV cameras at all testing centers, according to a document tweeted by Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot. Candidates were not allowed to bring in their own face masks from the outside; after arriving, they had to discard the masks they brought, then use masks provided at the testing center.
This one is really weird.
Quote:
In response, schools and authorities have experimented with different anti-cheating strategies, though some have backfired by prompting public outrage — as was the case in 2019 when one school in Karnataka state asked students to wear cardboard boxes on their heads during exams.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-28-2021 at 05:39 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:27 AM   #21928
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
had to dig to get to the Most Recent button every. single. time I opened it.

Though I'm probably an oddball who uses FB 99% of the time via a web browser on my laptop (instead of app + phone),that does give me access to a handy bypass for the "Top Posts" default b.s.

I enter through a bookmark (now it just autofills from my location bar once I type in the "fa ..." part of the site name), which defaults to Most Recent by adding the following after the dot-com /?sk=h_chr

Saves me a good bit of aggravation, cause I hate Top Posts
Old 09-28-2021, 08:29 AM   #21929
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yep, same.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #21930
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Though I'm probably an oddball who uses FB 99% of the time via a web browser on my laptop (instead of app + phone),that does give me access to a handy bypass for the "Top Posts" default b.s.

I enter through a bookmark (now it just autofills from my location bar once I type in the "fa ..." part of the site name), which defaults to Most Recent by adding the following after the dot-com /?sk=h_chr

Saves me a good bit of aggravation, cause I hate Top Posts

I... feel so dumb for having not figured that out before

SI

Old 09-28-2021, 08:53 AM   #21931
spleen1015
Coordinator

Looking for some help.

I am participating in an AWS Jam on Friday with a bunch of co-workers. I am on a team of 5 people. Looking for a team name. I am hoping for something with 'Cloud' & 'Five' in a pun sorta name.

Any ideas?
Old 09-28-2021, 08:57 AM   #21932
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dave Cloud Five?
Five Finger Cloud Punch?
Hawaii 5-Cloud?
Cloudy with a Chance of Five Balls?
Five for Clouding?

(these are all horrible but you get what you pay for)
Old 09-28-2021, 09:01 AM   #21933
spleen1015
Coordinator

Five Finger Cloud Punch is actually not that bad.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:55 AM   #21934
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Cordon Bleu Breaded Raw Stuffed Chicken Breasts

I've become addicted to these, especially on a Friday night where I don't feel like cooking.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:09 AM   #21935
spleen1015
Coordinator

Thanks, cuervo. Team went with Five Finger Cloud Punch.

An hour later, I found out my daughter's softball scrimmage on Saturday was moved to Friday afternoon and now I am not participating in the AWS Jam. Derp.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #21936
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I... feel so dumb for having not figured that out before

Well don't, 'cause the only reason I knew about it was a lucky Google result when Most Recent was threatening to cut my FB use down by about 90%.

I was desperate and I got lucky, plain and simple.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:32 PM   #21937
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think I have a new name for the collection of stupid evergreen memes:
"Moron Detectors"

As fall approaches, I can't think of a better description for anyone that falls for the annual "pot candy lookalikes passed out at Halloween" hoax. Seeing those reposted is like a digital version of "Here's Your Sign"
Old 09-28-2021, 06:12 PM   #21938
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think I have a new name for the collection of stupid evergreen memes:
"Moron Detectors"

As fall approaches, I can't think of a better description for anyone that falls for the annual "pot candy lookalikes passed out at Halloween" hoax. Seeing those reposted is like a digital version of "Here's Your Sign"

When I was a kid, it was the apples with razor blades in them.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:37 PM   #21939
PilotMan
Head Coach

Who is wasting pot candy on kids?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #21940
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Who is wasting pot candy on kids?

Nobody ... but that won't stop the dimwits from worrying over it.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:05 PM   #21941
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The suggestion that evil drug users/dealers are inventing nefarious ways to give away their drugs for free has always been obvious fantasy.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:06 PM   #21942
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
The suggestion that evil drug users/dealers are inventing nefarious ways to give away their drugs for free has always been obvious fantasy.

they don't need new ways. Working slave labor low pay jobs has always been the biggest reason to take drugs
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:51 AM   #21943
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So my son is in 6th grade. He came home yesterday with a brochure that the school is selling make your own pizza kits to fund the 8th grade class trip. The question I asked my wife was why do 6th graders have to sell pizza kits for an 8th grade trip? She didn't see it the way I did and used the logic when he is in 8th grade it will be reciprocated. Not sure I am on board.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:24 AM   #21944
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wait- WTF? Why are you selling something for another class's activity?

SI

Old 09-29-2021, 07:31 AM   #21945
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

SI

THANK YOU!

She says it is because we are a community. I said great, I want to go to Paris, lets take up a collection in the neighborhood. She wasn't impressed.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:54 AM   #21946
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

FOFC is a community right? Anyone want to help fund a new car for me?
Old 09-29-2021, 08:19 AM   #21947
cuervo72
Head Coach

Aren't we still trying to save up for the battleship?
Old 09-29-2021, 08:27 AM   #21948
Ksyrup

Quote:
So my son is in 6th grade. He came home yesterday with a brochure that the school is selling make your own pizza kits to fund the 8th grade class trip. The question I asked my wife was why do 6th graders have to sell pizza kits for an 8th grade trip? She didn't see it the way I did and used the logic when he is in 8th grade it will be reciprocated. Not sure I am on board.

Yeah man, it will be reciprocated when it's your time - like social security!
Old 09-29-2021, 08:55 AM   #21949
miked
College Starter

Quote:

SI

This happens all the time. In our daughter's elementary school, the 4th grade was in charge of selling concessions at the play and some other events to fund the 5th grade graduation party. It has been going on for decades and is successful. The idea is that the 5th grade parents should enjoy the party and not worry as much about the fundraising.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:58 AM   #21950
bob
College Starter

So elementary school social security?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote