Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #301
cuervo72
Head Coach

I kept making mental notes of this as I read the Future thread yesterday, so I'm glad you bumped this. You should include your/you're, as there were a number of those mistakes too.

Honestly - as long as some of you write like this, some of us are going to discount what you say regardless of the content of what you said. Perhaps that's not fair. But we're going to make assumptions about your education and/or intelligence, and sometimes those assumptions are hard to overcome and will influence how we interact with you.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #302
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I kept making mental notes of this as I read the Future thread yesterday, so I'm glad you bumped this. You should include your/you're, as there were a number of those mistakes too.

That's exactly what prompted me to do it.

Quote:
Honestly - as long as some of you write like this, some of us are going to discount what you say regardless of the content of what you said. Perhaps that's not fair. But we're going to make assumptions about your education and/or intelligence, and sometimes those assumptions are hard to overcome and will influence how we interact with you.

There's actually a thread about that somewhere as well. vBulletin search sucks, though, and I can't seem to find it.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #303
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

If you have a misplaced piece of punctuation, call these guys. They're the grammar police. Their job is to find where the correct placement of said punctuation is, then put it there.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #304
DanGarion
Coordinator

Of course I would say more then 1/2 of the punctuation issues are caused by people not proofreading what they write (I mean this is just a message board, not the WSJ). I know when I write things, I sometimes have issues with typing a word twice or using the wrong tense of a word, but it's not because of a lack of intelligence, it has more to do with my mind and hands not being on the same page while I'm typing.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #305
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Of course I would say more then 1/2 of the punctuation issues are caused by people not proofreading what they write

"More then", yy.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #306
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #307
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

True, and I struggle with the same assumptions while reading.

My problem is that I know some really intelligent people who do this and then I don't know what the fuck to think.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #308
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
"More then", yy.
Exactly. Maybe I did that on purpose...

Anyway. You just have elite grammar status cuervo72 and that makes you superior. Sorry for my mistakes, I'll try harder next time. I'm sure your perfect... And yes I wrote your on purpose.

Last edited by DanGarion : 07-17-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #309
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Sorry for my mistakes, I'll try harder next time.

We'll be rooting for you!
Old 07-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #310
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

It takes all of 10 secs to proofread what you have written. In any case, "they're" versus "there" versus "their" is neither a typo nor the wrong tense of a word. They are completely different words.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #311
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
It takes all of 10 secs to proofread what you have written. In any case, "they're" versus "there" versus "their" is neither a typo nor the wrong tense of a word. They are completely different words.

Sure if I write only a couple sentences it takes 10 seconds.

I think that depends on the person. I know the proper use of the words, but I still catch myself typing the wrong word because my mind is thinking faster than my fingers. Not all "grammar" errors are strictly grammar, at least in my opinion.

Last edited by DanGarion : 07-17-2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: edited then to than because I'm an idiot...
Old 07-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #312
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Regardless, whether you like it or not, what cuervo said is true.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #313
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

I should have proofread my last message... DOH!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #314
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:

Yes, the issue really is that cut and dried.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #315
BishopMVP
Coordinator

"Julio Lugo was dfa'd today, which means the Red Sox have 10 days to release him, trade him or send him down to AAA. Either way, he's not our problem anymore."

Can either be used when multiple options are on the table, or only when there are two choices? If the latter, what is the correct term? Whichever seems ungainly.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #316
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Of course I would say more then 1/2 of the punctuation issues are caused by people not proofreading what they write (I mean this is just a message board, not the WSJ). I know when I write things, I sometimes have issues with typing a word twice or using the wrong tense of a word, but it's not because of a lack of intelligence, it has more to do with my mind and hands not being on the same page while I'm typing.

You know, I agree with most of this. I often write and post very quickly here. By contrast, if I am writing for a blog or something more formal, I'll take my time and write more carefully.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #317
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
"Julio Lugo was dfa'd today, which means the Red Sox have 10 days to release him, trade him or send him down to AAA. Either way, he's not our problem anymore."

Can either be used when multiple options are on the table, or only when there are two choices? If the latter, what is the correct term? Whichever seems ungainly.

Any way. I'm pretty sure either is a choice between two (as is between).

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 07-17-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #318
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
You know, I agree with most of this. I often write and post very quickly here. By contrast, if I am writing for a blog or something more formal, I'll take my time and write more carefully.

I still need to improve my proofreading on my blogs, I'm getting better, but I was never interested in writing till I got older (was always much more of a math person then an vocab/grammar person). I'm contemplating taking some journalism classes or something to improve my blog writing.

Last edited by DanGarion : 07-17-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #319
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
(was always much more of a math person then an vocabl/grammar person)

Hey, I got the intentional joke this time!!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #320
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
I still need to improve my proofreading on my blogs, I'm getting better, but I was never interested in writing till I got older (was always much more of a math person then an vocab/grammar person). I'm contemplating taking some journalism classes or something to improve my blog writing.

What's your blog?

<-----------signatures off guy
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #321
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
What's your blog?

<-----------signatures off guy
PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #322
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
What's with "an historical" gaining popularity? I've seen this a lot more over the last year or two and saw it again on The Daily Show yesterday or maybe two days ago. What part of "historical" starts with a vowel?

SI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Do you get paid ten dollars A hour?

This one is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I think we've discussed it here before. I even believe the QS and I were on opposite sides of the issue.

My take is that an historical is incorrect. People who use it are trying to sound smart, and maybe even imitate English types who cling to an archaic usage. Simply put if a word starts with a vowel you should use "an". The exception being words that start with a consonant that isn't pronounced, and result in a word that phonetically starts with a vowel. So words like hour, honor, and history are addressed clearly.

The "an historic" camp defend this because for a time the H in history was commonly not pronounced. So rather than History you have 'istory, or 'istoric instead of historic. I have no trouble with preceding either of those variations with "an", especially when speaking. The dictionary pretty clearly calls for pronouncing the "H" in History and historic, so I believe the "an historic" camp are "wannabe smart folk". I will admit that if QS is in that camp, then he is a smart albeit imperfect being rather than a wannabe.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #323
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I distinctly know the difference in the above words, but I still type them wrong from time to time. I know I'm talking about someone's possession, yet I'll type they're. I can't explain it, but I've caught myself a dozen or more times. I know some of them have slipped through. I've said before that I apparently type phonetically.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #324
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

You're just wannabe dumb folk.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #325
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
You're just wannabe dumb folk.

That's an wannabe to you.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #326
Bad-example
College Starter

Honestly, if someone can't clear the bar when it comes to simple things like their/there/they're and then/than, they really are in the wrong thread.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #327
MJ4H
Coordinator

A lot of people definitely type what they hear in their head as they are thinking. I don't think there is another explanation for the number of times I've seen "are" in place of "our." There is just zero chance they don't know the difference between the two words.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #328
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
A lot of people definitely type what they hear in their head as they are thinking. I don't think there is another explanation for the number of times I've seen "are" in place of "our." There is just zero chance they don't know the difference between the two words.

Yes, but because someone does it makes them an idiot that should be ignored...

to/too/two
are/our
they're/there/their
then/than
idea/ideal

Of course we all have our faults, I'm sure a number of people that post on this board would make stereotypes of others the moment they opened their mouths as well... It's just human nature.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #329
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Yes, but because someone does them repeatedly it makes them seem ignorant or apathetic.

Fixed.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #330
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
This one is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I think we've discussed it here before. I even believe the QS and I were on opposite sides of the issue.

My take is that an historical is incorrect. People who use it are trying to sound smart, and maybe even imitate English types who cling to an archaic usage. Simply put if a word starts with a vowel you should use "an". The exception being words that start with a consonant that isn't pronounced, and result in a word that phonetically starts with a vowel. So words like hour, honor, and history are addressed clearly.

The "an historic" camp defend this because for a time the H in history was commonly not pronounced. So rather than History you have 'istory, or 'istoric instead of historic. I have no trouble with preceding either of those variations with "an", especially when speaking. The dictionary pretty clearly calls for pronouncing the "H" in History and historic, so I believe the "an historic" camp are "wannabe smart folk". I will admit that if QS is in that camp, then he is a smart albeit imperfect being rather than a wannabe.

I don't recall staking out a position on this, but perhaps I have. I find your argument pretty compelling.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:02 AM   #331
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I don't recall staking out a position on this, but perhaps I have. I find your argument pretty compelling.

I could be mistaken, but I remember disagreeing with someone whose opinion I respected on this. I can't imagine who else around here would fall into that category.

edit: I think I may have ratcheted it up a notch further by stating that writing or typing an historic was clearly wrong as well.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 07-31-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #332
Passacaglia
Coordinator

It looks like dictionary.com is not on my side on this one, but use of the word generally has often bugged me. Maybe it's because I've had to do a lot of work with proofs, but to me, generally means that something is true in all cases, but it's more commonly used to mean 'usually' instead.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #333
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
It looks like dictionary.com is not on my side on this one, but use of the word generally has often bugged me. Maybe it's because I've had to do a lot of work with proofs, but to me, generally means that something is true in all cases, but it's more commonly used to mean 'usually' instead.
WELL THAT'S YOUR FAULT ISN'T IT

guess i'm done here
Old 11-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #334
PineTar
High School JV

How To Use An Apostrophe - The Oatmeal
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #335
aran
High School Varsity

I hate it when people use "which" to move a preposition forward in a sentence, but end up doubling the preposition at the end of the sentence.

"This world in which we live in..."

"There are no issues of which I'm aware of."

This is so frustrating because it's a conscious change in word order that is made completely unnecessary--especially in spoken language--by the final preposition. It only serves to make speech sound awkward and overly formal.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #336
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not sure how many of you have worked in the software field and are familiar with source control software, but for those that have, here's one of my pet-peeves: using "sunk" as the past tense for "synch". Look people, there's already a past-tense form of synch - it's "synched". You don't need to make up a new version.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #337
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Today's work project made me think of this thread.

9 times out of 10, the passive voice is a bad and/or lazy thing.

But, when you have to write a very . . . careful letter in which lots of easily bruised egos are at stake, it can be a wonderful and powerful tool.

"Mistakes were made" indeed.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #338
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

A good place for posting this:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...41&sc=fb&cc=fp

Quik, you been on any cross-country road trips recently? Maybe to write a book?

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #339
QuikSand
lolzcat

Heh, I heard the interview with that guy.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #340
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

But, when you have to write a very . . . careful letter in which lots of easily bruised egos are at stake, it can be a wonderful and powerful tool.

I struggle with the passive voice. I just didn't learn about that in school, or I ignored the lessons, or wrote them off as meaningless. Most likely because the lessons were over my head at the time. At any rate MS Word has picked up my tutelage on this matter.

On another note. It is a tool, as you described above.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 08-13-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #341
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Passive/aggressive voice is a valuable tool for lawyers.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #342
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

I agree completely. The passive voice is sometimes necessary to add nuance and convey the correct tone. I argued this both in high school and college with various English teachers to no avail.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #343
QuikSand
lolzcat

Once again, it appears the correct is just going to lose out to the convenient.

Using "impact" as a transitive verb, essentially as a synonym for a perfectly acceptable and understandable verb, "affect." For some reason, this has run amok recently (like the last couple of decades) and seems lost.

I don't know why people feel smarter or more buzzy or whatever when using that verb... but it gets to me. And I know, I'm on the losing end of this -- you don't need to drop web citations that say it's now standard, I know that's what many sources now concede. I still don't like it, and I still downgrade people making that usage.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #344
JediKooter
Coordinator

So what kind of impact do you think this will have?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #345
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Once again, it appears the correct is just going to lose out to the convenient.

Using "impact" as a transitive verb, essentially as a synonym for a perfectly acceptable and understandable verb, "affect." For some reason, this has run amok recently (like the last couple of decades) and seems lost.

I don't know why people feel smarter or more buzzy or whatever when using that verb... but it gets to me. And I know, I'm on the losing end of this -- you don't need to drop web citations that say it's now standard, I know that's what many sources now concede. I still don't like it, and I still downgrade people making that usage.

If more people online were as impressive as you and a few others than it would have a bigger impact on me and how I acted at times.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #346
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
So what kind of impact do you think this will have?

Come on, you obviously mean what kind of affect do you think this will have.

Last edited by MJ4H : 02-10-2011 at 05:06 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #347
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Come on, you obviously mean what kind of affect do you think this will have.

Yes, most definitely, the impacts affect should be considered.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #348
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #349
QuikSand
lolzcat

Just for the record, "impact" is a perfectly acceptable noun. It's just miscast as a verb, in nearly all cases.

Acceptable:
The budget cuts will cause an impact on tuition rates.
The budget cuts will affect tuition rates.

Improper, but becoming acceptable anyway:
The budget cuts will impact tuition rates.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #350
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Deep Impact sounds like it should be the title of a porno.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote