Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #251
Tasan
College Starter

I think, at least on the Android platform, that they'll move into the app sales market as well.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:09 AM   #252
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I Finished Limbo finally!

WOW those last like 10-15 puzzles were total bitches!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #253
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I Finished Limbo finally!

WOW those last like 10-15 puzzles were total bitches!

Played/Finished the game this past weekend. Completely unsatisfied by the ending, but the gameplay was fun. Still, I'd like to slap the developers for trying to be so "artsy" with their approach to the story... Screw them and their whole "we leave it open ended for the player to decide" bullcrap.

PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #254
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Yeah that ending blew chunks Very disappointed.

I loved the artiness of the game itself. Once it got 2/3 of the way through it kinda lost the story and the cool atmosphere a little and just became lots of hard puzzles in a row. It added some neat elements at the end but that's when it also got frustrating and grueling.

I didn't think it was really openended at the end. I thouyght it was just they didn't actually let us enjoy the ending.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #255
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Offering Steam coupon codes now as they will expire March 1st.

-33% Valve
-25% Valve
-50% Worms Crazy Golf - Currently $9.99 without coupon
-25% Might and Magic Clash of Heroes - Currently $14.99 without coupon
-25% Dead Island - Currently $29.99 without coupon
-50% Amnesia - Currently $19.99 without coupon ----- Gone.

Last edited by Yellow5 : 02-24-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #256
Qrusher14242
High School JV

i'll take the Amnesia coupon if you still have it

my steam id is qrusher

Steam Community :: ID :: Qrusher
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #257
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Friend request sent. At work but can send when I get home.

Last edited by Yellow5 : 02-24-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #258
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I have a -25% Bethesda for anybody looking for Skyrim
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #259
mckerney
Coordinator

Exclusive: Valve said to be working on 'Steam Box' gaming console with partners, could announce at GDC | The Verge

Quote:
Recently there's been chatter that Valve — the company behind the massively popular gaming service Steam — has been considering getting into the hardware business. Specifically, there have been rumors that the company has been toying with the idea of creating a proper set-top console which could potentially pose a threat to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Valve co-founder Gabe Newell even recently told Penny Arcade: "Well, if we have to sell hardware we will."

At a glance that would simply be interesting fodder for a gaming forum debate, but we've uncovered information that suggests that not only has Valve been secretly working on gaming hardware for the living room, but that the company is actively pursuing a strategy which would place Steam at the center of an open gaming universe that mirrors what Google has done with Android. Backing up that concept, in the same interview we quote above, Newell says that Valve doesn't really want to do hardware on its own, stating, "We'd rather hardware people that are good at manufacturing and distributing hardware do [hardware]. We think it's important enough that if that's what we end up having to do, then that's what we end up having to do."

That jibes pretty well with this rumored arrangement.

According to sources, the company has been working on a hardware spec and associated software which would make up the backbone of a "Steam Box." The actual devices may be made by a variety of partners, and the software would be readily available to any company that wants to get in the game.

Adding fuel to that fire is a rumor that the Alienware X51 may have been designed with an early spec of the system in mind, and will be retroactively upgradable to the software.

Apparently meetings were held during CES to demo a hand-built version of the device to potential partners. We're told that the basic specs of the Steam Box include a Core i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU. The devices will be able to run any standard PC titles, and will also allow for rival gaming services (like EA's Origin) to be loaded up.

Part of the goal of establishing a baseline for hardware, we're told, is that it will give developers a clear lifecycle for their products, with changes possibly coming every three to four years. Additionally, there won't be a required devkit, and there will be no licensing fees to create software for the platform.

We're hearing that a wide variety of USB peripherals will be compatible with the boxes, though it will likely ship with a proprietary controller. It's possible that the controller will even allow for swappable components, meaning that it can be reconfigured depending on the type of game you're playing. Think that sounds odd? Well Valve filed a patent for such a device last year.

Additionally, we're told that the kind of biometrics Valve uses in game testing will somehow be incorporated into these devices. Sources of ours say that the realtime biometric feedback in games will be a sea-change for users. To put it more succinctly, the sentiment we've heard is: "You won't ever look back." These biometric devices could come in the form of a bracelet, or be part of the standard controller.

The consoles will also take advantage of Steam's "Big Picture" mode, a feature Valve touted last year at GDC, but has yet to release to the public. According to the company's press release in 2011 "With big picture mode, gaming opportunities for Steam partners and customers become possible via PCs and Macs on any TV or computer display in the house."

The most interesting piece of this puzzle may be related to that statement. According to sources, the Steam Box isn't intended to just clash with current gaming consoles. Rather, Valve wants to take Apple and its forthcoming new Apple TV products head-on. Newell has clear questions about Apple's strategy, telling the The Seattle Times "On the platform side, it's sort of ominous that the world seems to be moving away from open platforms," adding that "They build a shiny sparkling thing that attracts users and then they control people's access to those things."

The Steam Box could be unveiled at GDC, though we're also hearing that the company may wait until E3 this year to show off what it's been working on.

One thing is for sure, however: if these rumors turn out to be correct, there could be a whole new kind of battle for control of your living room happening in the near future. Of course, much of this is pieced together from a variety of sources, and there could be moving parts which we can't see. Some of this information could change.

We've reached out to Valve for comment, and will update the post with any new information we receive.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:38 AM   #260
Qrusher14242
High School JV

not sure i see the point of this unless its less than $400...just seems like a pc to me. But will wait and see.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #261
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
not sure i see the point of this unless its less than $400...just seems like a pc to me. But will wait and see.

I can see the point of having a hardware standard that both developers can optimize for, and it could be good for people who aren't big into keeping up with hardware but interested in PC gaming could buy a system they would know could play the latest games. That said, I agree that it will have a tough time taking off if is significantly more expensive that consoles and it doesn't look like something I would be interested in personally.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #262
mckerney
Coordinator

What I probably would consider buying is a set top box built around Steam's upcoming Big Picture Mode. Something I could plug into my TV and then connect to my PC through a wifi network plus plug in a game pad. Some way to make it easy to play game from my PC on a TV in a different room.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #263
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Thanks to owning 50% of Valve and the pervasiveness of Steam, Gabe Newell is worth an estimated $1.5 billion.

Gabe Newell has an estimated net worth of $1.5 billion - VideoGamer.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #264
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, it's amazing seeing steam grow like it has. I still remember it as a useless pain in the ass middle man to HL2. Now I won't buy a game if it's not on Steam and I never used to wait for sales.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #265
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Yeah, it's amazing seeing steam grow like it has. I still remember it as a useless pain in the ass middle man to HL2. Now I won't buy a game if it's not on Steam and I never used to wait for sales.

Yep same here. The sole reason I never played HL2 until about 12 months ago despite loving HL1 was due to the fact that I refused to download Steam to install the title. Now, it's probably the most used "app" on my PC...
Old 03-09-2012, 01:56 AM   #266
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Thanks to owning 50% of Valve and the pervasiveness of Steam, Gabe Newell is worth an estimated $1.5 billion.

Gabe Newell has an estimated net worth of $1.5 billion - VideoGamer.com

That explains how he can afford so many knives.

Giant Bomb @ Valve - Giant Bomb
Old 03-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #267
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Anybody download a video card update from Steam? Not doing that again. Still trying to see what all I need to fix since it's been giving me issues ever since and had to two hard reboots.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #268
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Anybody download a video card update from Steam? Not doing that again. Still trying to see what all I need to fix since it's been giving me issues ever since and had to two hard reboots.

ATI card?
Old 03-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #269
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Yep. I did a driver uninstall/reinstall to get it back to sane, but parts of my browser shows an off color when it should be white.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #270
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Fixed the off color issue.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #271
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Yep. I did a driver uninstall/reinstall to get it back to sane, but parts of my browser shows an off color when it should be white.

ATI drivers commonly have issues, and from what I learned is if things are working it's best not to update the drivers unless you absolutely have to, or you want to increase performance of a game that just had a Catalyst profile updated. ATI drivers can be a pain to deal with, which is why I went with an NVIDIA card, even though ATI cards are typically a better value hardware wise.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #272
mckerney
Coordinator

Does anyone want a Counter Strike: GO beta key?

Last edited by mckerney : 04-15-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #273
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone play Heroes of Might and Magic VI?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #274
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I've played all the others. There is a 6?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #275
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I've played all the others. There is a 6?

Yup 50% off right now, I did just buy Trine 2 though.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #276
mckerney
Coordinator

No Steam Box, but former Quake programmer Michael Abrash has decided to work on wearable computing.

That Was Easy: Valve’s Hardware Is Wearable Computing | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Old 04-15-2012, 03:51 AM   #277
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Does anyone want a Counter Strike: GO beta key?

you betcha!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #278
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
you betcha!

Gah, sorry. Should have updated my post, but wound up giving this out a couple weeks ago.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #279
Poli
FOFC Survivor

poli rules, I believe.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #280
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
poli rules, I believe.
Yes. Yes, he does.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #281
mckerney
Coordinator

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...pfnudeln&num=1

Steam and the Source Engine are coming to Linux. Great to see, and while it will probably,just be Valve and indie games at first hopefully it will see more companies make Linux versions along the same line as the number of games that have had Mac versions added.

Last edited by mckerney : 04-25-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #282
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Took the plunge on the Pole Position 2012 F1 management sim. Still figuring things out right now.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #283
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Took the plunge on the Pole Position 2012 F1 management sim. Still figuring things out right now.

I was thinking about it a bit last night...decided not to...let me know if I regret it.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #284
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I bought it too and maybe in haste which is not like me. You might want to check out the forum before you decide. I have not been able to get it patched through Steam but it looks like the latest one still has problems.

kalypso media :: forum - Pole Position 2010 / 2012
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #285
whomario
Pro Starter

I played it a bit at a friend and judging from what he showed me, this game is plain bad. There´s so many essential things missing (like pit stop strategy. Not being able to set this is like a football game with no manual play calling) and the race engine is beyond bad, nothing realistic about it.

If anybody wants a fun classic (and free) F1 management game as an alternative :

Download Grand Prix Manager 2 | Abandonia

essential downloads (mods and also stuff to make it work on newer Systems) : Downloads « GPM2World

you definitely need : http://www.gpm2world.com/?file_id=26 (newest patch)
http://www.gpm2world.com/?file_id=21 (manual)
wing32.dll free download - DLL-files.com (dll file needed, has to go in system32 folder (for 32bit Windows) or the SysWOW64 folder (for 64bit Windows)

It´s from the same guys that also made the classic GP racing games (which are still a million times better than what has come out in recent years. I would spent hours perfecting my setups to get that precious 1/10 second better and it was so deep and yet intuitive ...)

I spent many, many hours with this game. Not flashy, but adicitive and gets the details right (as of 15 years ago, of course). There´s even rule changes included from season to season making certain stuff legal or illegal (thus rendering your work developing either brilliantly spent or useless) and the game is not just fun for a season or 2 but has longterm playability as well.
Heck, even injuries from crashes and replacement drivers are in.

You can play either 10 years or do 3 years in a scenario mode. Fully customizeable, too (you can change the point system, the power of the engines, the skill of the designers, engineers

edit : Here´s the 2011 mod (you only need to download the .dll files above, the mod includes the fully patched game. Just unzip and you are good to go) http://www.gpm2world.com/?file_id=64
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-28-2012 at 05:23 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #286
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Thanks whomario; I'll try that. Where were you yesterday when I had my moment of weakness?

I'm still hoping that they get PP2012 worked out but I have a feeling that that's never going to happen.

What is the Steam policy for returns, anyone know?
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #287
mckerney
Coordinator

Cave Johnson, we're done here.

Hopefullly the level editor include the suction tubes that were cut from the game.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #288
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Just finished all the co-op Portal 2 levels. It was a blast, but it can easily spark some angst among friends.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #289
mckerney
Coordinator

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/steam-cards

Gamestop is now selling cards that will let you add funds to your Steam account. Seems like it would be most useful for anyone with kids that wants to give them some money for Steam without giving them credit card info for anyone around here, though you can also get them at trade in value for any old console games.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #290
PilotMan
Head Coach

I just got or someone just sent me a coupon for 50% off King Arthur 2. Random.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #291
mckerney
Coordinator

Indie Game: The Movie will be sold through Steam | PC Gamer

Quote:
Astronomers, heed my call: have the stars that control the fate of digital distribution may entered some strange alignment? After releasing a board game earlier today, we learn that Steam will be selling a film on the service next month. Appropriately, it’s Indie Game: The Movie.

The Kickstarted film has been popping up in theaters since March, and will also be available on iTunes when it releases on Steam on June 12. I wouldn’t expect this—at the very most, Valve is testing the waters for selling other content with something that’s highly relevant to gamers.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #292
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Because We May - Windows / Mac Games On Steam

These are all at the listed price on Steam. Some awesome fucking deals on a bunch of good indie games.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #293
mckerney
Coordinator

http://sourcefilmmaker.com/

Quote:
The Source Filmmaker (SFM) is the movie-making tool built and used by us here at Valve to make movies inside the Source game engine. Because the SFM uses the same assets as the game, anything that exists in the game can be used in the movie, and vice versa. By utilizing the hardware rendering power of a modern gaming PC, the SFM allows storytellers to work in a what-you-see-is-what-you-get environment so they can iterate in the context of what it will feel like for the final audience.

To celebrate the announcement of the SFM, we've also released "Meet the Pyro", the ninth installment in the "Meet the Team" series. Like all of our animated shorts, we made it using the SFM.

If you're interested in making movies and games in parallel, sign up for an SFM beta key and start shooting your movie on location inside the world of TF2 today.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #294
mckerney
Coordinator

And Valve's latest Source Film Maker creation.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #295
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Passacaglia1977 if anyone wants to add me!

Also, does anyone know how to buy steam cloud?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #296
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Passacaglia1977 if anyone wants to add me!

Also, does anyone know how to buy steam cloud?

You don't buy Steam Cloud access directly. There are certain games that have it enabled that will automatically sync your saves. It's not something you can just use with any game.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #297
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Thanks! It's weird that FM2011 is the only one that has it...and I have FM2010 and FM2012. Oh, well.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #298
mckerney
Coordinator

Steam Community :: Greenlight

Quote:
What is Steam Greenlight?
Steam Greenlight is a new system that enlists the community's help in picking some of the next games to be released on Steam. Developers post information, screenshots, and videos for their game and seek a critical mass of community support in order to get selected for distribution. Steam Greenlight also helps developers get feedback from potential customers and start creating an active community around their game as early in the development process as they like.

I know of a game that should be here. What do I do?
Go contact the game developer and suggest that they submit their game here for consideration.

There's a game on Greenlight that I really want to see succeed. What can I do?
Go tell your friends, just don't be annoying about it.

How do I report a fake/fraudulent/malicious game in Greenlight?
When you're looking at the page for a game in Greenlight, there is a 'Report' right next to the rating buttons, below the screenshots. Please report the item and tell us why you're doing so.

Last edited by mckerney : 07-09-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #299
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like the time is nearing for the summer event.

Sadly I'll miss most of it as I'll be away for work all next week (Monday to Sunday)...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #300
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Sounds like the time is nearing for the summer event.

Sadly I'll miss most of it as I'll be away for work all next week (Monday to Sunday)...

Do you have a smart phone? You can purchase from the steam app.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote