Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-20-2021, 09:25 PM   #1051
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
He's played his ass off despite the injury and shitty o-line play. Looks like a good trade to me.

You must be an Eagles fan.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:28 PM   #1052
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Here's the Lions we all know and ... well, we all know. Nice of the Packers to let them get ahead, knowing they were likely to not be able to stay in front.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:52 AM   #1053
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Imagine....
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:35 AM   #1054
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Imagine....

I hope he was able to hedge
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:21 AM   #1055
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I hope he was able to hedge

Doubtful. Packers were -550 pregame. I doubt someone betting 16 team parlays for $25 has a couple hundred grand laying around.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:52 AM   #1056
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
You must be an Eagles fan.

Nope. Another shitty take.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:43 AM   #1057
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions offense has zero margin for error. The first time they really make a mistake - not converting that 4th and 1 - things go off the rails. In general, the offense is decent enough, but they can't afford to make mistakes, which is a tough position to be in.

The defense is just terrible. They have no depth or talent at cornerback and have suffered a couple of injuries there. Their safeties stink. Their linebackers are awful. The back seven is complete garbage. Quinntricia just decimated this team in terms of defensive talent.

The Lions could easily be in play for the #1 overall pick. Sadly, at the moment, I am not aware of a stellar talent at the top of the draft that could really help change the trajectory of this eternally awful franchise.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:38 AM   #1058
QuikSand
lolzcat

Lions offense is not good, but it seems to be better than I (and most) would have expected. If this team is in fact on a trajectory to be competitive in a couple of years, they might look back on this season as the time when they figured out wat they have to work with in guys like Jonah Jackson, Logan Stenberg, and the fleet of young receivers who figure to get more on-field time than their stations would suggest (Cephus, St. Brown, even Raymond).

Seems to me their wisest plan, absent a "go for it" QB draftee landing in their laps, is to build the Denver way - try to put together a good overall roster and position themselves to be serious that way, whether it's by plugging in a game manager at QB or by landing a free agent on the attractiveness of the complementary pieces.

I still don't love letting Golladay just walk (not sure what they'll get as a compensatory pick but it isn't enough)... but past QB the obvious team need seems to be a difference-making receiver there.

Oh, and I suppose the defense could use some touch-ups.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:48 AM   #1059
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

You could say this with almost every NFL game but reverse the outcomes of 3 plays and that game goes down to the wire.

1. GB 21-17. Detroit fails that 4th and 1 at the GB 20(?)
2. GB 21-17. Rogers completes that 50 yard perfect pass to Adams on 3rd and 12.
3. GB 28-17. Goff fumbles right after Green Bay scores and gives Green Bay an immediate scoring chance.

Of course Rogers and the Green Bay offense looked great against the overmatched Detroit defense but I was impressed by how effectively(most of the game) Detroit moved the ball against the Green Bay defense.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-21-2021 at 11:49 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:09 PM   #1060
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I really have to stop arguing with idiots on Twitter.

Some dude is trying to tell me that the Falcons in cap hell with Matt Ryan are in a better overall position moving forward than the Jags with the consensus #1 pick and 75 million in cap space.

I can't even...
Old 09-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #1061
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Some dude is trying to tell me that the Falcons in cap hell with Matt Ryan are in a better overall position moving forward than the Jags with the consensus #1 pick and 75 million in cap space.

I can't even...
People are dumb. The Falcons need to blow up the roster and do a total rebuild. I just don't think Blank is going to let them.They have a couple of pieces they can get real value for, and they are going to be in cap hell for at least the next two years.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:13 PM   #1062
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
You could say this with almost every NFL game but reverse the outcomes of 3 plays and that game goes down to the wire.

1. GB 21-17. Detroit fails that 4th and 1 at the GB 20(?)
2. GB 21-17. Rogers completes that 50 yard perfect pass to Adams on 3rd and 12.
3. GB 28-17. Goff fumbles right after Green Bay scores and gives Green Bay an immediate scoring chance.

Of course Rogers and the Green Bay offense looked great against the overmatched Detroit defense but I was impressed by how effectively(most of the game) Detroit moved the ball against the Green Bay defense.

That’s really Goff’s MO at this point though. The fourth down was a terrible read to throw to a blanketed receiver instead of two wide open guys in the middle of the field and the fumble was the fumble. He looked great early but made enough mistakes to cost his team the game, and he doesn’t have the Rams defense at this stop to bail him out some of the time.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:24 PM   #1063
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

I can't even...

Well the Jags are still the Jacksonville "one winning season in the last 13 years" Jaguars.

Just saying.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:45 PM   #1064
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well the Jags are still the Jacksonville "one winning season in the last 13 years" Jaguars.

Just saying.

Plus many players on the team apparently already really dislike Urban Meyer

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-21-2021 at 05:47 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:03 PM   #1065
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Just saying.

There is not on GM in the league who would take a job based on a teams past performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Plus many players on the team apparently already really dislike Urban Meyer

You can replace him easily enough. Trever Lawrence like talents don't come along often.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:43 PM   #1066
bhlloy
Coordinator

There are GMs who will take a job based on ownership stability and the overall desirability of the franchise to players though. Not saying your original premise is wrong, but it’s not necessarily just about the roster. A lot of talented players have done all they can to get out of Jacksonville in the past few years.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:48 PM   #1067
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
There are GMs who will take a job based on ownership stability and the overall desirability of the franchise to players though. Not saying your original premise is wrong, but it’s not necessarily just about the roster. A lot of talented players have done all they can to get out of Jacksonville in the past few years.

Completely agree ownership and culture plays a part, but for the sake of this argument Jax is light years ahead of Alt when it comes to resources.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:41 PM   #1068
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

There are only 32 NFL GM jobs and 32 NFL Head Coach jobs in the world.

It is the rare candidate who is such a stud that he can afford to turn one of them down b/c he's sure a better opportunity will arise.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:45 PM   #1069
JPhillips
General Manager

If you said the Falcons are in a better place than the Bengals because of Mike Brown, I couldn't argue that.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:33 PM   #1070
bhlloy
Coordinator

Can only assume these refs are getting paid by the flag tonight
Old 09-24-2021, 06:44 AM   #1071
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The "any offensive team and/or player coached by Adam Gase is significantly better than Gase makes them seem" theory is alive and well.

I think that somewhere on Payton Manning's HOF plaque should be the phrase "And he managed to do all this with Adam fucking Gase coaching him for part of it"
Old 09-26-2021, 12:41 PM   #1072
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

We've secretly replaced Bears offensive game plan with one created by John Shoop. Let's see if anyone notices.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:30 PM   #1073
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bears end the 1st half with .... 2 first downs, and 41 yards.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:00 PM   #1074
bhlloy
Coordinator

I forgot to bench Dalton for Fields in the fantasy league that QS runs... and it might not even matter
Old 09-26-2021, 02:08 PM   #1075
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Jesus this is painful to watch. Refs give the Bears a gift PI call, which like quadruples their total offense on the day.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:12 PM   #1076
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm so old I remember when this was going to be one of the best rookie QB seasons in NFL history
Old 09-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #1077
thesloppy
Pro Starter

12 sacks in that CLE CHI game??
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:15 PM   #1078
bhlloy
Coordinator

Also the rumors of Carson Wentz's demise were not exaggerated. He looks absolutely terrible throwing the ball.

Last edited by bhlloy : 09-26-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:34 PM   #1079
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Cameras caught Foles talking to Dalton on the sideline, telling him "The offense just isn't working."
Old 09-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #1080
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Jesus this is painful to watch. Refs give the Bears a gift PI call, which like quadruples their total offense on the day.

If anyone wondered what it would be like if a rookie started his first game against a top defense with a terrible offensive line and the coach made no adjustments to give his rookie extra protection or do anything during the game to punish the other team for blitzing every play this is the game to see.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:11 PM   #1081
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Fields day -
6 completions for 68 yards.
9 sacks for 67 yards.

+1 passing yards. Total.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:13 PM   #1082
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Holy crap that finish in DET BAL.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:14 PM   #1083
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Who are our Lions fans on the board? Honolulu Blue and who else? I’m not even kidding when I say if you DM me your info, I’ll Venmo you $5 for a beer. What a soul-destroying way to lose.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:14 PM   #1084
bronconick
College Starter

The Lions love to be the team that gives up record breaking field goals.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:18 PM   #1085
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It has sucked to be a Dolphins fan for most of the last two decades, but today just reminds me of how much worse it could be.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:23 PM   #1086
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Who are our Lions fans on the board? Honolulu Blue and who else? I’m not even kidding when I say if you DM me your info, I’ll Venmo you $5 for a beer. What a soul-destroying way to lose.

They're tied for my second favorite team, does that count?
Old 09-26-2021, 03:25 PM   #1087
bhlloy
Coordinator

Heartbreaking way to lose but in all honesty the Lions need to lose as many games for the next couple of years as they can to build that roster back up.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:28 PM   #1088
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Heartbreaking way to lose but in all honesty the Lions need to lose as many games for the next couple of years as they can to build that roster back up.

Just how many years do they need to lose in order to build up a roster? Have you lived through the Matt Millen years?
Old 09-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #1089
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'm a Lions fan, to the point that that loss didn't feel all that remarkable.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:39 PM   #1090
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I appreciate the thought! It’s just a very Lions way to lose. Give up a 4th and 19 and then lose on a record breaking field goal… If it’s going to happen to any team, it’ll be the Lions. None of it’s all that shocking or heartbreaking at this point.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-26-2021, 03:40 PM   #1091
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I just wish there was some super elite top end talent waiting there at number one overall. I am just not aware of that player yet.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:40 PM   #1092
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I'm a Lions fan, to the point that that loss didn't feel all that remarkable.

Exactly.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:42 PM   #1093
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I appreciate the thought! It’s just a very Lions way to lose. Give up a 4th and 19 and then lose on a record breaking field goal… If it’s going to happen to any team, it’ll be the Lions. None of it’s all that shocking or heartbreaking at this point.

I literally told a friend that Tucker was going to hit a 60 yarder to win it after they took the lead. I was only off on the yardage.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:44 PM   #1094
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Exactly.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:58 PM   #1095
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
I just wish there was some super elite top end talent waiting there at number one overall. I am just not aware of that player yet.

This. I'm a Lions fan. I don't mind a loss. It's known that we were going to suck this season. We can use the draft picks now that (I think anyway) we have an organization that can properly identify and effectively use those picks. So, a game where we were competitive but still kept ahold of a great pick is just fine. Druther a win but this is fine.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:23 PM   #1096
Thomkal
Head Coach

Big Statement wins from the Bengals and Chargers today. Big I'm sorry to Bears and Lions fans.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:32 PM   #1097
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Justin Tucker is pretty pretty good
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:16 PM   #1098
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Some early rumors that there's multiple Bears who are very fed up with Nagy.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:20 PM   #1099
bob
College Starter

As a Lions fan the only entertainment value left is when they find new ways to lose
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #1100
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
He's played his ass off despite the injury and shitty o-line play. Looks like a good trade to me.

At this rate the Eagles are going to get a top ten pick.

How is this good for the Colts again?