Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #51
spleen1015
Coordinator

Year 6, 22!!!! players 70 or above. All pitchers....

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #52
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think you're right spleen... I do not like what they did to scouting. I have no idea why my players go from "very high" scouted to "low" in a matter of weeks. Makes no sense to me.

My players should always be highly scouted. If they progress or decline, my scout should automatically update their scouting report with out me having to request another scouting report.

As far as the draft, seems fine to me playing MLB league with all fictional players.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:13 AM   #53
Mota
College Benchwarmer

One thing that really bothers me is the scouting knowledge. I noticed that my knowledge dropped from one season to the next. If the player is on my team and i watch him every game, why would I suddenly know less about him?

I do think at this point that the TEW scouting would be better. You get a range, and as the player plays more professional sports, the range would be more and more precise. Maybe Good/Great stuff in the beginning, then A-E grade after 2 years, and then the 20-80 grade after that. And if you spend scouting time on a specific player, you can narrow it down earlier. But by now, I don't need to send out a scout to see if Mike Trout is a good batter.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #54
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Kind of random but this seems like the place to say it: I needed a simple phone game to get me through quarantine and I wound up back with MLBM 2018, which is basically the app version of OOTP.

Verdict: It still holds up. I just can't get into the complexity of OOTP these days, but MLBM strips most of that out and strikes a really nice balance of offering a career sim without forcing you to set up and monitor dozens of things. The AI isn't perfect, but it's pretty good for an app. For a couple of bucks, you really can't go wrong.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #55
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Everyone plays the game differently, and that's one of the great features of this game. For the best experience, I would recommend turning off having the game generate international free agents and independent league free agents. I enable all of the international and independent leagues, so the free agents have actual histories. Japan and Korea have a posting system for free agents, and I also enable posting for Cuba to simulate defections.

I prefer to play with the real league setup, but fictional players. I usually erase the MLB history and sim ahead about 50 years before taking over a team. I also play GM only, so my manager has full charge of the lineup card and game management.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #56
cougarfreak
College Starter

The Mac version of OOTP 21 has really gotten screwed up. I can't find the folder to add extras like quick starts, uniforms, etc. Steam has nothing to add on to the game via their workshop. It really seems like it's catering to folks who just play the current year, or whatever the Perfect game stuff is.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #57
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
The Mac version of OOTP 21 has really gotten screwed up. I can't find the folder to add extras like quick starts, uniforms, etc. Steam has nothing to add on to the game via their workshop. It really seems like it's catering to folks who just play the current year, or whatever the Perfect game stuff is.

I don’t have it in front of me but if I remember right go Library > Containers > Ootp Developments > Application Support > Ootp21
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #58
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Here is where I am on this game: After buying it every year forever it seems, I can get it as a part of my subscription to Xbox PC, and I don't even feel like downloading it. Tell me if there has been any real sim improvements over last years "blah?" And for the record, I would rather have needles poked into my eyes than play the card game thing.,
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #59
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Draft/scouting still screwy? I picked this up on the summer sale, haven't touched it yet, and re-reading this thread, I'm seriously debating just refunding it.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:46 AM   #60
spleen1015
Coordinator

I've been simming a 2020 league in OOTP21 as each day passes in RL.

The Yankees were 12.5 games behind on July 1st. After today's games, they are only 3 games behind. I hate the Yankees.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:50 PM   #61
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post

But yeah they've never embraced the workshop and most of the stuff is all on the forums still, that part hasn't changed at all.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-31-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:55 PM   #62
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I have every mlb roster ever made and it automatically updates the logos, jerseys and stadiums over the years. I don’t really need anything else. Strat-o-matic wants to sell me each season for 27.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #63
JPhillips
General Manager

The 60 game season update completed screwed the financials. Teams start with tens of millions of extra budget space.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:18 AM   #64
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

A new company has bought OOTP developments: Big News - An announcement by Andreas & Markus - OOTP Developments Forums
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:41 AM   #65
Flasch186
Coordinator

Don't care, not buying since they fucked over Jim.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:19 AM   #66
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm fuessing an all mobile company until this purchase isn't going to be focused on the PC game.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:25 AM   #67
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

These things almost never work out the way you hope they do or they ruin what was there. Color me incredibly skeptical and slightly disappointed, but not surprised in the least.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:32 AM   #68
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

This could be the reason they didn't help Jim. Who knows how long the negotiations have been going on? But the game has been stale for years now. Stick a fork in OOTP , it's done.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:17 AM   #69
JPhillips
General Manager

I think Jim was telling us this was coming without specifically telling us this was coming. As a business move, it's probably a great decision, but it sure looks like the plan will be more of the on-line and in game purchase market.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:21 PM   #70
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Don't care, not buying since they fucked over Jim.

Where are there comments from Jim that they fucked him over? I don't really seem many comments from Jim at all this year.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #71
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
These things almost never work out the way you hope they do or they ruin what was there. Color me incredibly skeptical and slightly disappointed, but not surprised in the least.

I agree. I'm sure it's going to make them money, but this isn't good news for PC OOTP fans. This is a mobile games company that doesn't exactly have a history of making great games. If they don't take steps to monetize every aspect of the game and push further and further toward Perfect Team I'll be shocked.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:27 PM   #72
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Puresim better.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:50 PM   #73
RainMaker
General Manager

I still think OOTP is a good game but this seems like a bad omen. They aren't buying it for base OOTP, they're buying it for Perfect Team.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #74
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

My favorite quote on the OOTP forums, "I'd like to be optimistic but Com2uS support has a dreadful reputation and I don't see how we should be excited about OOTP being acquired by a korean gacha app factory specializing in microtransactions."
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:12 PM   #75
spleen1015
Coordinator

My initial thoughts every time there was been a big change in the OOTP-verse have always been positive. Not this time.

I feel like Markus and Andreas are cashing out.

I hope I'm wrong.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:38 PM   #76
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think it is still a great game, but the most recent version seemed like a step back with the draft problems. I bought this year's version, but play last year's just because the problems this year made it a less fun game to play.

I don't blame them for focusing on Perfect Team if it is a money maker with the pay-to-win gameplay. I think it is alright to play, too, but I think it is weak how little effort they put into the cards (no pictures for players past this year, no tie-in with a card company, etc.)

If it is the end, I'll still play the older versions. They are good enough, for the most part.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #77
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Yikes.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:26 PM   #78
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

With Markus no longer having the final word I am a bit worried about the future being put in the hands of bean counters. I have said with each new release "if this were the last I could play it forever". So there is that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I think it is still a great game, but the most recent version seemed like a step back with the draft problems. I bought this year's version, but play last year's just because the problems this year made it a less fun game to play.

I don't blame them for focusing on Perfect Team if it is a money maker with the pay-to-win gameplay. I think it is alright to play, too, but I think it is weak how little effort they put into the cards (no pictures for players past this year, no tie-in with a card company, etc.)

If it is the end, I'll still play the older versions. They are good enough, for the most part.

I play out every game so IOW slowly. My first draft was a bit into the patch cycle (early August) and I found the new draft much better than old versions. I'll save time and link to a thread I started about my draft experience.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=319942

Don't want to derail the thread but thought you might find it interesting? Could be it's down to style of play too as I can update and look at scouting reports daily. In any case I saw talent all the way through and enjoyed the process.

Feel free to disagree
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:22 PM   #79
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
My initial thoughts every time there was been a big change in the OOTP-verse have always been positive. Not this time.

I feel like Markus and Andreas are cashing out.

I hope I'm wrong.

Kind of has this feeling to me too... sort of a plan for the future to eventually move into mobile and microtransactions territory. Hopefully they continue to release OOTP as a standalone product, but I'm not too excited for this move.

I've played 21 more than any other Steam game though, so if this was the final copy, I could carry on.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 10-12-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #80
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I've played 21 more than any other Steam game though, so if this was the final copy, I could carry on.

Same here. I play with fictional players, so OOTP21 will work well into the future for me.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:58 PM   #81
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Same here. I play with fictional players, so OOTP21 will work well into the future for me.

Me too.. MLB setup but with fictional players.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #82
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm fuessing an all mobile company until this purchase isn't going to be focused on the PC game.

Looks like you're guessing right:

"In an email to press, Com2us noted that Out of the Park Baseball would "make for an excellent mobile series moving forward"; "

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/20...k-developments
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #83
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's kind of sad that the very best PC baseball game on the market is going to be bastardized for cash. I am completely fine with Markus and Andreas cashing out, and I hope it leads to better development of new games if this is the end of the line for OOTP for PC, it's fine. Overall, it's a great game right now, and I could get years out of it, but it still feels like it's the end of the line.

Like Steam?

Old 10-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #84
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

21 versions is a long time to do anything. I wonder if them deciding to sell the company had anything to do with the falling out with Jim. I imagine American football isn’t nearly as popular in Korea as baseball is.

Last edited by dubb93 : 10-13-2020 at 11:48 AM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #85
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Why would the new company support a mode where you use a fictional team budget to acquire your players, when instead you can use a gamer's real money to acquire players?
I thought Perfect Team was the worst thing to happen to the game. It turns out it was the precursor to the worst thing to happen to the game.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #86
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
With Markus no longer having the final word I am a bit worried about the future being put in the hands of bean counters. I have said with each new release "if this were the last I could play it forever". So there is that.

I play out every game so IOW slowly. My first draft was a bit into the patch cycle (early August) and I found the new draft much better than old versions. I'll save time and link to a thread I started about my draft experience.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=319942

Don't want to derail the thread but thought you might find it interesting? Could be it's down to style of play too as I can update and look at scouting reports daily. In any case I saw talent all the way through and enjoyed the process.

Feel free to disagree

Thanks - I’ll check it out again, soon. If the draft got better, I think it’s about as good as I would ever need, unless they would figure out how to integrate college (and maybe high school) into a playable/fun option. There were some under the radar improvements to league setups and sorting coaches/staff in this version that were superior, in my opinion, but the draft changes were too big of a dealbreaker.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:01 PM   #87
spleen1015
Coordinator

This is the playoff picture of the daily sim I have been running.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:23 AM   #88
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

When has "big company purchases beloved software franchise from original creators" ever turned out to be a good thing?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #89
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Can someone help explain and maybe help me fix this...

Managing the Cubs, trading set to Hard, I shop Victor Caratini and Houston offers Jose Altuve.

That should never happen under any circumstance whatsoever ever never in a jillion years.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #90
spleen1015
Coordinator

OOTP sees ratings/stats not names.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #91
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Can someone help explain and maybe help me fix this...

Managing the Cubs, trading set to Hard, I shop Victor Caratini and Houston offers Jose Altuve.

That should never happen under any circumstance whatsoever ever never in a jillion years.

It does if it just came out that Altuve was nailing the owners underage daughter and nobody knows about it yet. OOTP big brain smarts.

Like Steam?

Old 10-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #92
JPhillips
General Manager

Most of the time the trade AI is pretty good, but, yeah, every now and then there's a real headscratcher. I could have traded a 26-year-old outfielder that had played limited innings in the majors and didn't OBP over .300 for two top thirty prospects.

Before someone else says it, the prospects ratings are often screwy, but still, that trade shouldn't have been possible.

edit: For the Altuve trade, I bet it was salary related. The AI will take almost nothing for high salary players.

Last edited by JPhillips : 10-23-2020 at 11:08 AM.
JPhillips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #93
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Most of the time the trade AI is pretty good, but, yeah, every now and then there's a real headscratcher. I could have traded a 26-year-old outfielder that had played limited innings in the majors and didn't OBP over .300 for two top thirty prospects.

Before someone else says it, the prospects ratings are often screwy, but still, that trade shouldn't have been possible.

edit: For the Altuve trade, I bet it was salary related. The AI will take almost nothing for high salary players.

I agree with this. First thing is I can easily not do one of these trades though, occasionally the salary dump is so blatant I wouldn't even want to. Second thing is I don't see the AI do these trades with other AI teams. With that in mind it doesn't bother me at all, YMMV
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #94
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I would almost guarantee it's salary related. The AI doesn't really value 30+ year old high salary players at all and it's usually the real life players within the first 1-3 years of starting a league that fall into that category.

And yeah, there are some odd holes in the AI. Some prospects don't seem valued enough, but those instances are fairly rare from what I've seen. It's usually guys outside the top 20 or so overall.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #95
RainMaker
General Manager

The AI loves to dump salaries. And due to the baked in salaries when starting the game, there are a few teams that desperately need to cut. Can't remember who it was but one team had a -80 million budget at one point in time.

For what it's worth, Caratini always turns into a monster in my sims. Perennial All-Star catcher.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:10 PM   #96
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

thanks for the tip
Old 10-26-2020, 03:01 PM   #97
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I would love to make a trade like that. I find the AI is so stingy, I can't get them to trade any top 30 prospects until I am offering my #1 player in his prime. And in those trades, my AI is going "are you kidding me?".
I do think the game overvalues catchers, I did one time make a trade where I felt I won, and that was trading away a catcher. So maybe the internal value for that position is greater.