Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #701
BishopMVP
Coordinator

So it's basically a 3 year extension that'll be re-negotiated by 2025? Cool.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:18 PM   #702
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I mean I guess it's a placeholder in case Mahomes is clearly still the #1 QB in the league when he's in his 30's and QB salaries haven't caught up with him yet, but it's hardly the splashy deal that was in the headlines (and probably not surprisingly, there's only a couple of teams in the league stupid to actually commit that much money for that long)
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:58 PM   #703
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yeah, I mean I guess it's a placeholder in case Mahomes is clearly still the #1 QB in the league when he's in his 30's and QB salaries haven't caught up with him yet, but it's hardly the splashy deal that was in the headlines (and probably not surprisingly, there's only a couple of teams in the league stupid to actually commit that much money for that long)
We'll still see if something else comes out (roster bonuses get locked in earlier than normal, some percentage of the cap mechanism), but right now it seems like a very team friendly contract and when I made my post earlier I assumed there was more guaranteed $$$ in there. It's basically a 3 year contract with 9 1 year team options!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:02 PM   #704
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I think one of the big things is that they have to decide a year in advance whether to activate the option.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:04 PM   #705
bhlloy
Coordinator

Even that isn't too bad... if he's bad enough that you need to walk (injury or ineffectiveness) that year will suck, but then you are free of it with no hit after that..

The really wild thing is he counts less against the cap year 1 than Frank Clark, and not much more in year 2. I don't think anyone is crying for the guy who is $140m guaranteed better off tomorrow morning, but you have to say the Chiefs got a really nice deal here, barring any stunning change of form or serious injury in the next 4 years.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #706
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

DeSean Jackson posts anti-Semitic fake Hitler quotes, vows no hate toward Jewish community
Old 07-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #707
BYU 14
Coordinator

And he should be held accountable for being an idiot and posting bigoted stuff.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #708
whomario
Pro Starter

Being on the internet should require a license, like for driving.

All it needs in the curriculum really is one thing: Do not believe anything on the internet unless you have the "W Questions" answered: Who, what, where, when. Then if it turns out to be a true story/quote, anwer the "Why" of the Story/Quote and voila. I mean, even if he said it, why in the world would you believe the premise knowing the Who.

If you just consume shit, it doesn't even matter if you think you are racist (in this case), you still perpetuate a racist ideology to other equally 'gullible' people. Germany didn't become Nazi Germany because everybody hated the Jews (or communists before that) all along or those that did would have acted on that, but because they were told why hating jews was sth they should do because of what they are about to do. Then some unwittingly and some wittingly spread it along until enough are convinced to go along.
(Insert whatever other propaganda).

Except those dumbasses did not have a way of checking those Claims within a minute or 5, unlike todays dumbasses. (Nor the means to share their thoughts millionfold.)

So yeah, even 'only' being stupid and believing racist thought would be plenty terrible on it's own considering the ease of communication and plenty inexcusable considering the availability of information.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-07-2020 at 12:13 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:51 AM   #709
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Texans trade Watson and Watts to the 49ers for Mostert, Pettis and a 2022 3rd round pick???

I dont get this at all...

Jimmy G on his way back to the Pats?

WTF is O Brien doing to the Texans?

EDIT...Apparently this is a false Twitter rumor...Sorry!

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-09-2020 at 08:58 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:15 PM   #710
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Damn it, I was excited for a moment.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:06 AM   #711
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Damn it, I was excited for a moment.

Haha! If it had come from anyone but the Texans I would have double checked it first. It was one of my messages on my phone this morning and I get very few twitter headlines so I figured it was true....
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:58 AM   #712
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
And he should be held accountable for being an idiot and posting bigoted stuff.

Absolutely. I would go so far as being okay with the Eagles cutting him and explaining how they have learned from the wrong way they handled the Riley Cooper situation. I understand why they can't and won't do that though.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:02 AM   #713
miami_fan
Coordinator

Dola,

I would love for Jackson to take Edelman up on his offer to go to the Holocaust Museum. It seems like some learning needs to take place if Jackson is willing to learn.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-10-2020, 07:04 AM   #714
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Dola,

I would love for Jackson to take Edelman up on his offer to go to the Holocaust Museum. It seems like some learning needs to take place if Jackson is willing to learn.

Sounds like Stephen Jackson needs to go with them.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:06 AM   #715
AlexB
Pro Starter

Until I read the article, it wasn’t apparent that Edelman also suggested then going to the African-American Cultural Museum, so a dual learning exercise

Last edited by AlexB : 07-10-2020 at 07:06 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #716
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cardinals owner Michael Bidwell has tested positive for the Coronavirus. Expected to be released from the hospital this weekend
Old 07-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #717
miami_fan
Coordinator

Source -- Redskins to announce nickname will be changed
Old 07-12-2020, 11:34 PM   #718
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Good. But as soon as FedEx indicated they were pulling out if no name change (and why did it take them this long) the decision was made.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:25 AM   #719
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Dedicated fans, thank you so much for your patience in this matter, after some serious reflection & consideration Mr. Snyder is delighted to announce your Washington, But What About Black-on-Black Crime!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-13-2020 at 02:26 AM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:54 AM   #720
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

As quickly as this came together, it seems obvious that they already had contingency plans made likely years ago and were just waiting for a situation in which they knew it wouldn't blow over.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #721
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Good. But as soon as FedEx indicated they were pulling out if no name change (and why did it take them this long) the decision was made.

Introducing the Washington UPS Is Much Betters
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #722
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Dedicated fans, thank you so much for your patience in this matter, after some serious reflection & consideration Mr. Snyder is delighted to announce your Washington, But What About Black-on-Black Crime!

Washington Democrats are the Real Racists
Old 07-13-2020, 11:20 AM   #723
molson
General Manager

I like the old Bill Simmons idea of just not having a name. They're just Washington. I think that would look awesome on schedules and other league publications that has team names for every other team, but just god damn "Washington, bitches", for Washington. (The "bitches" being just for illustration there).
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #724
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
As quickly as this came together, it seems obvious that they already had contingency plans made likely years ago and were just waiting for a situation in which they knew it wouldn't blow over.

Which makes the whole thing worse IMO.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #725
Ksyrup

Yeah, it's exactly what it looked like - once the sponsors/money became an issue, they caved.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #726
spleen1015
Coordinator

There was a dude on ESPN radio this morning that said the NFL has a list of approved names for all franchises just in case there is a needed name change for any reason.

He mentioned he thinks they'll be the Washington Warriors because Snyder already owns the rights to that name. Part of his ownership of the team gives him the rights to any arena league team put in Washington and that is the name he was going to use if it ever happened.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:53 AM   #727
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

He should go with the Washington Posts. That's a good one.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:09 PM   #728
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
He should go with the Washington Posts. That's a good one.

Sponsored by the Washington Times.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #729
stevew
Hall Of Famer

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/stat...597503495?s=20
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #730
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Now I have to be disappointed that they're not going to end up as the Washington Radskins.

Edit: Someone already made a perfect logo and everything.

Spoiler

Last edited by molson : 07-13-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #731
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Looks like Washington Generals isn't on that list.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:17 PM   #732
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Would anyone object to Washington Pale Faces with Lincoln’s profile as the logo?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:21 PM   #733
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Would anyone object to Washington Pale Faces with Lincoln’s profile as the logo?

Did you know that Lincoln was a Republican?

I didn't either until Trump told me.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #734
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

What do we do when they learn that Redskins might be the less offensive portion of the name Washington Redskins...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:53 PM   #735
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
There was a dude on ESPN radio this morning that said the NFL has a list of approved names for all franchises just in case there is a needed name change for any reason.

He mentioned he thinks they'll be the Washington Warriors because Snyder already owns the rights to that name. Part of his ownership of the team gives him the rights to any arena league team put in Washington and that is the name he was going to use if it ever happened.

I thought I read that he claimed ownership of that name but let it lapse and some dude who has trademarked a bunch of names now has it. Pretty sure that dude grabbed Warriors several years ago.

EDIT: Here it is - Washington trademark squatter adds to his portfolio - ProFootballTalk

Quote:
Washington owner Daniel Snyder previously had claimed the rights to “Washington Warriors.” The Washington Times recently reported that the team previously has abandoned that trademark.

The USPTO database shows that McCaulay filed an application for trademark protection of the Warriors name in July 2015.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-13-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:56 PM   #736
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I thought I read that he claimed ownership of that name but let it lapse and some dude who has trademarked a bunch of names now has it. Pretty sure that dude grabbed Warriors several years ago.

That may be so. I'm just repeating what I heard.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #737
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Warriors may not be that bad.

but Washington Swamp Things would be wonderfully trolly.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #738
cuervo72
Head Coach

Alliteration is lazy.

(Yes, Phillies and Flyers. I know.)
Old 07-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #739
molson
General Manager

Warriors is the most depressingly boring of all options.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #740
JPhillips
General Manager

Washington Amendments
Old 07-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #741
BYU 14
Coordinator

Just change it to skins and have a shirtless picture of Fabio as your logo
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #742
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Washington Deep State
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #743
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Washington Deep Throats
Old 07-13-2020, 04:38 PM   #744
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

agreed
Old 07-13-2020, 04:38 PM   #745
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
What do we do when they learn that Redskins might be the less offensive portion of the name Washington Redskins...

The Onion, way ahead of their time: Washington Redskins change their name to the D.C. Redskins
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:58 PM   #746
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

This is pretty much how I feel.

...but I went to a high school that changed mascots from Indians to Warriors the very first year I was there (that was 1987 to show how far behind the curve Snyder is), and for the next 4 years our mascot was some reject dressed in one of those $5 sets of plastic breastplate, helmet & sword that you find at Toys R Us.

At one time in history the school's nickname had been Stenographers.....how could you choose Warriors over that? In hindsight the absolute lack of effort behind the Warriors nickname was actually totally fitting & on brand for the school, but that's not what you want from your sportsball team.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-13-2020 at 05:00 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:11 PM   #747
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Stenographers is freaking awesome. The Normandy(OH) Invaders are a great one I saw a few years ago.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:12 PM   #748
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Miami of Ohio dumped “redskins” in 1997 also.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:14 PM   #749
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I like the old Bill Simmons idea of just not having a name. They're just Washington. I think that would look awesome on schedules and other league publications that has team names for every other team, but just god damn "Washington, bitches", for Washington. (The "bitches" being just for illustration there).

The District would be another simple yet good name.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #750
molson
General Manager

The weirdest one in my state is the Orofino Maniacs. Which would be a pretty awesome name - if it wasn't literally named after a state psychiatric hospital, which it is.