Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #101
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions have done nothing to get better. Quinntricia are the painful combination of arrogance and incompetence. They almost only ever want to get former Patriot players, who the Pats have all let go for a reason. They are myopic and dumb.

All the moves they've made this off-season have lateral or downward:

Collins in, Kennard out.
Trufant in, Slay out.
Vaitai in, Glasgow/Wagner out.
Shelton in, A'Shawn Robinson/Snacks Harrison out.

Signing Chase Daniel and his 5 NFL starts does little to inspire and only lessens the value of the 3rd overall pick.

I don't see a plan here or anything.

I don't want to hate the coach and GM of my team, but they've given me no other choice.

I bet they'll just sit at 3, take Okudah, think they're so smart. Ugh.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:08 PM   #102
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So much for that Gurley trade rumor I guess
Old 03-19-2020, 03:10 PM   #103
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Gurley seems exactly like the kind of player that the Pats will sign to a team friendly one year deal.

He’ll do great, the Lions will give him a record signing bonus next off-season, and then his knee will literally explode.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #104
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Gurley seems exactly like the kind of player that the Pats will sign to a team friendly one year deal.

He’ll do great, the Lions will give him a record signing bonus next off-season, and then his knee will literally explode.

If I were a Falcons fan I'd be nervous if they had any money to spare (which, really, they don't)
Old 03-19-2020, 03:45 PM   #105
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Lions have done nothing to get better. Quinntricia are the painful combination of arrogance and incompetence. They almost only ever want to get former Patriot players, who the Pats have all let go for a reason. They are myopic and dumb.

All the moves they've made this off-season have lateral or downward:

Collins in, Kennard out.
Trufant in, Slay out.
Vaitai in, Glasgow/Wagner out.
Shelton in, A'Shawn Robinson/Snacks Harrison out.

Signing Chase Daniel and his 5 NFL starts does little to inspire and only lessens the value of the 3rd overall pick.

I don't see a plan here or anything.

I don't want to hate the coach and GM of my team, but they've given me no other choice.

I bet they'll just sit at 3, take Okudah, think they're so smart. Ugh.
I don't have any clue what they're doing with the players being sent out, but plenty of the Patriots coming in are good players, just slightly overpaid... Trey Flowers is great, Jamie Collins was a monster 1st half of last season (2nd half not so much but still starting LB quality), Danny Shelton was great on the interior DL and actually came pretty cheap - I was a little surprised at that number we picked up that guy from TB at the same 2/$8m number instead of re-signing Shelton.

I'm also not sure signing Chase Daniel affects the value of #3 at all. Lions could still easily go with a QB there & trade Stafford. They won't because Quinntricia is under a Win Now mandate, but having Daniel as a backup/early season starter while you develop a rookie QB wouldn't be a terrible plan under a more long term thinking organization.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:55 PM   #106
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, I dunno what's up with Quinn & Patricia's ability to attract previous Pats players....why does whatever that attracts his previous players to Patricia apparently not work on anybody else in his current organization?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:14 PM   #107
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The more I think about the Colts trade for Buckner the more I hate it.

I mean was there no other FA that the Colts could throw 20mil/year at w/o giving up the 13th pick?
Old 03-19-2020, 08:17 PM   #108
tarcone
Coordinator

I cant wait to see Brady as Buc. Is he really that good? Or a product of a system?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:22 PM   #109
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I cant wait to see Brady as Buc. Is he really that good? Or a product of a system?

Yeah, is there anyone on the Bucs staff who will film the opposing sideline?
Old 03-20-2020, 04:42 AM   #110
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Yeah, I dunno what's up with Quinn & Patricia's ability to attract previous Pats players....why does whatever that attracts his previous players to Patricia apparently not work on anybody else in his current organization?

Maybe they're the ones he hasn't targeted yet?

It's a better read IMO than the headline suggests, more specifics (with corroboration) than these types of stories typically contain.

Darius Slay says he 'lost all respect' for Detroit Lions coach Matt Patricia in 2018
Old 03-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If I were a Falcons fan I'd be nervous if they had any money to spare (which, really, they don't)

I underestimated the idiots in charge.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #112
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I don't have any clue what they're doing with the players being sent out, but plenty of the Patriots coming in are good players, just slightly overpaid... Trey Flowers is great, Jamie Collins was a monster 1st half of last season (2nd half not so much but still starting LB quality), Danny Shelton was great on the interior DL and actually came pretty cheap - I was a little surprised at that number we picked up that guy from TB at the same 2/$8m number instead of re-signing Shelton.

I'm also not sure signing Chase Daniel affects the value of #3 at all. Lions could still easily go with a QB there & trade Stafford. They won't because Quinntricia is under a Win Now mandate, but having Daniel as a backup/early season starter while you develop a rookie QB wouldn't be a terrible plan under a more long term thinking organization.

The problem is how many players play great within the Patriots' system and then go on to do nothing? Jamie Collins is a perfect example. He played well with the Pats, goes to Cleveland, flames out, goes back to the Patriots on a small, one-year deal, plays great again, and strikes it big with Detroit. The odds of him excelling in Detroit are slim. Flowers was fine last year, but not a difference maker. I don't have high hopes for Shelton either.

The "win now" mandate is another big problem. It gives Quinntricia plenty of incentive to make moves for the "now" while mortgaging the future. Honestly, the best thing for the organization would very likely be drafting Tua, trading Stafford, and re-building the whole thing. It's rare to be picking in the top 3. As bad the Lions have been, they haven't picked this high since drafting Suh 10 years ago. Passing up the opportunity to get a player who could change the course of the organization to draft a cornerback (Okudah), defensive tackle (Brown), or linebacker (Simmons) seems like another step in the 50+ year path to mediocrity and irrelevance.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #113
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Was the system the reason he sucked last year or was that all him?

I hate the SOB, but he is the greatest to ever play the position. End of story. Nothing that happens from here on changes his legacy in any way....unless he wins a super bowl in Tampa in which case they should just never put him in Canton so as to not disgrace him by being surrounded by the other bums.

Still F him I hate him.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:19 AM   #114
bob
College Starter

am i wrong in thinking that if this Brady leaving the Pats stuff is due to some sort of "proving I can do with with Belichick" thing, he should have done it when he had some arm left
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #115
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
am i wrong in thinking that if this Brady leaving the Pats stuff is due to some sort of "proving I can do with with Belichick" thing, he should have done it when he had some arm left

I think some of it was a $$$ thing.

$50 million--ALL GUARANTEED.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #116
Kodos
Resident Alien

Cuz TB is hurting for cash.

Hey, I just realized: It's TB in TB now.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-20-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #117
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola-and a no trade clause. So if he really does hit the wall but chooses not to retire, Tampa will pay him $25 million in 2022 to sit on the bench and cheer.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:23 AM   #118
bob
College Starter

OK, I understand. But how much money is enough?

Quarterback Tom Brady earned $235 million in salary and endorsements from the Patriots, plus more than $100 million from endorsements, memorabilia and licensing.

Doesn't include what his wife has made.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:23 AM   #119
spleen1015
Coordinator

He's going to be like any other star QB past his prime. We're going to look back on this and laugh at it.

I think his success with Belicheck is a bit of luck on both their parts. They were right for each other. Do you think Brady is the GOAT if he was drafted by the Browns? Lions? Texans?
Old 03-20-2020, 11:25 AM   #120
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

double dola--the other question is how much he wants the all time yardage and TD records.

He and Arians might just decide to say fuck it and put up video game numbers for two years while going 7-9. Hell, that might have been part of the incentive to get him to decide on Tampa.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #121
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
He's going to be like any other star QB past his prime. We're going to look back on this and laugh at it.

I think his success with Belicheck is a bit of luck on both their parts. They were right for each other. Do you think Brady is the GOAT if he was drafted by the Browns? Lions? Texans?

Apparently, when the Browns drafted Spergon Wynn, they were choosing between him and Brady.

That's my #1 NFL what-if. The most successful QB of all time drafted by the worst run franchise of the last 20 years.

What the hell happens?
Old 03-20-2020, 12:33 PM   #122
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from an ESPN article, just kind of a "daaaaayum" stat

Quote:
He could lose his next 283 starts and still have a better career record than the Bucs franchise
Old 03-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #123
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I think I need to pick a new NFL team. I haven't lived in Detroit in 30+ years. Time to cut them loose I think.

I follow the Falcons because they are the local team, but honestly never really cared too much beyond the super bowl run and choke.

Suggestions?
"None". The NFL is worth watching without investing interest in any particular franchise.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #124
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think the Brady thing has more to do with the fact that the Patriots don't have the required weapons for him to be successful at the level he wants to be anymore. Could be totally wrong, but with no Gronk and limited weapons at receiver, the offense didn't work last year and it seems to be he didn't see prospects for it getting better.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:00 PM   #125
Thomkal
Head Coach

Bob,

my Cards could be fun to watch this season at least until Murray suffers a season-ending injury in Week 1. Hopkins to throw too, Fitzgerald probable last season, Chandler Jones on defense
Old 03-20-2020, 04:00 PM   #126
molson
General Manager

The Patriots never even made Brady an offer this off-season. I think this has been a foregone conclusion for a long time.

His numbers could improve next season in Tampa Bay with better weapons. It seems like a lot of money with only one other team interested, but, I guess that's the QB market now.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:08 PM   #127
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I think some of it was a $$$ thing.

$50 million--ALL GUARANTEED.

Don’t forget, no state tax.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:18 PM   #128
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Probably a little bit of "all of the above" here, it's not like he has to choose only one reason. It's bigger money, with better weapons, closer to his other son, in a location that likely appeals to everybody in his family.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-20-2020 at 04:19 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:15 PM   #129
Atocep
Coordinator

The Eric Ebron deal is a kick to the balls after seeing what the Bears gave Jimmy Graham.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #130
BishopMVP
Coordinator

LoL

Old 03-20-2020, 05:59 PM   #131
tarcone
Coordinator

I hope the Rams go 0-16 for the next 4 seasons and their stadium is empty and their new stadium crumbles.

F Enos and the NFL.

I want to see the Battlehawks out draw the Rams.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:36 PM   #132
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
LoL

That's beautiful.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:31 PM   #133
miami_fan
Coordinator

Just because...

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:19 AM   #134
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I hope the Rams go 0-16 for the next 4 seasons and their stadium is empty and their new stadium crumbles.

F Enos and the NFL.

I want to see the Battlehawks out draw the Rams.

Were you this bitter when they moved to St Louis in '95? What about the fans they left in LA then?

Do you hope Arizona goes 0-16? Why didn't you build them a stadium and avoid all of this?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #135
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Unsurprisingly the Patriots sign Brian Hoyer, and it appears the Jarrett Stidham era is here. (Though weirdly Vegas still only has him at +500, 2nd to... DeShaun Watson at +300, who I'd obviously take but don't think even BoB is stupid enough to sell low on.)

I'm down with it. Stidham has looked better than Brissett did when he started a few games for us, and honestly looked as good as Garoppolo ever did in his preseason action. Why bother paying $20 million for an average to below average starting QB in Andy Dalton, David Carr, let alone one who doesn't fit the system in a Cam Newton or Jameis Winston, when you can take a shot for $700k on a guy you like? Now can we please use that money to sign Thuney longer term & sign (or draft/trade) for 1-2 Tight End's?

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-22-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #136
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Unsurprisingly the Patriots sign Brian Hoyer, and it appears the Jarrett Stidham era is here. (Though weirdly Vegas still only has him at +500, 2nd to... DeShaun Watson at +300, who I'd obviously take but don't think even BoB is stupid enough to sell low on.)

Those odds favoring Watson are for who the Patriots starting QB will be in 2021. Which is a random thing to have a line for, but I think long-term props are very popular these days.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #137
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cam Newton signing with the Pats and suddenly becoming healthy AF and a perpetual MVP candidate is everyone’s worst nightmare
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #138
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Cam Newton signing with the Pats and suddenly becoming healthy AF and a perpetual MVP candidate is everyone’s worst nightmare

Newton had one year left on his contract at a team-friendly rate.

I have no idea why the Panthers felt the need to move on.

If he's healthy, then you've got a great QB you can franchise and re-sign.

If he's not, then you bottom out, he walks, and you draft a replacement.

The chance of Cam being healthy seems to have more upside than whatever draft pick they will get for him.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:29 AM   #139
Butter
Coordinator

Rumors that the Dolphins might offer two if not ALL THREE of its 1st round picks to trade up to #1 and get Burrow. If you are the Bengals, you have to make that trade, right? Dolphins 1st pick is at #5.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #140
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Newton had one year left on his contract at a team-friendly rate.

I have no idea why the Panthers felt the need to move on.

If he's healthy, then you've got a great QB you can franchise and re-sign.

If he's not, then you bottom out, he walks, and you draft a replacement.

The chance of Cam being healthy seems to have more upside than whatever draft pick they will get for him.

Speaking from Panthers country, there was a concern that Cam would never fully recover from his injuries and be the speedy, go all out Cam of old.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #141
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Rumors that the Dolphins might offer two if not ALL THREE of its 1st round picks to trade up to #1 and get Burrow. If you are the Bengals, you have to make that trade, right? Dolphins 1st pick is at #5.

If you believe in the health of Tua’s hip (and that’s probably somewhat complicated by coronavirus) definitely looks like a great deal on the face of it.

Whether I’d be as excited for it if I don’t and Herbert was my alternative I’m not so sure. And that’s assuming you can get either at 5 and nobody else jumps ahead of you. In reality if you want to guarantee you get the #2 QB you probably have to turn back around and spend one of those firsts to move back up to 3.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #142
JPhillips
General Manager

Remember, though, this is the team that took Akili Smith instead of the Saint's whole draft.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #143
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yes. Make that trade and roll over half of those picks and tank it for Trevor.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:13 AM   #144
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

NFL wants April draft to go on as scheduled despite GMs' recommendation

Considering that the league pretty much goes from the draft into its dead season, pushing it back to allow more time for evaluations seems smart.

But I cannot think of a group of people more naive about what's actually going on in the world than NFL Owners. So the pushback from that end is understandable.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-25-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #145
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Yes. Make that trade and roll over half of those picks and tank it for Trevor.

100%
Old 03-25-2020, 07:55 AM   #146
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It almost goes without saying, but the real key is Tua, right?

If you think that his medical issues aren't a problem, then suddenly you can see a world where you come of the draft with him and not Burrow as a possibility worth contemplating.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #147
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

Bengals have too many holes not to make that trade.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #148
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Bengals have too many holes not to make that trade.

Dolphins surely have too many holes to make that trade?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #149
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I think the Dolphins have already cleaned house and are going to be better next year. Looking from afar, Flores seems to be the real deal as a coach.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #150
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

And are we sure that Burrow is a can't miss?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote