Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-04-2020, 08:14 PM   #1
LaStarza61
n00b

General manager Only

This is probably a dumb question... But if I want to play as general manager and let the coaches set game plans and depth charts and call plays, etc. Does it matter who you hire as head coach and offensive and defensive coordinators? Do the ones you have in place make a difference in how game plans and depth charts are set up. Will one offensive coordinator call plays during a game differently than other offensive coordinators? Same with defensive coordinators? Will one guy set up a game plan differently than some one else I could have hired instead? If I'm watching a game instead of calling the plays myself, will one coach call plays differently than other coaches I could have hired instead? When you select the option for the computer to set game plans and depth charts, is it just generic? Or does the coach you hire make a difference?

I hope that what I'm asking makes sense. Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide!

Mark

LaStarza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm not 100% sure, but:

-the OC has a style, that alters the effectiveness of related plays
-I don't think the actual playcalling would change based on the OC
-I don't understand what the actual playcalling rating does, tbh
(if I had to guess it's a mere success/failure modifier)

-the DC has a preferred formation, and your defense will use that
-but the selection of actual plays (coverages, blitzes) likely unaffected
-same as above on playcalling, seems like it's just a vague +/1 thing
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:12 PM   #3
LaStarza61
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but:

-the OC has a style, that alters the effectiveness of related plays
-I don't think the actual playcalling would change based on the OC
-I don't understand what the actual playcalling rating does, tbh
(if I had to guess it's a mere success/failure modifier)

-the DC has a preferred formation, and your defense will use that
-but the selection of actual plays (coverages, blitzes) likely unaffected
-same as above on playcalling, seems like it's just a vague +/1 thing

Thanks for the response! If the OC and/or DC have no impact on actual play calling, then where does play calling come from if I don't call the plays myself? Is it just random?
LaStarza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:38 AM   #4
finkellll
n00b

All of this is for single player, multiplayer is different since I do not let the AI pick my playbook and roster in MP.

I don't have data backing up my claim but the coaches
you hire matter a lot more when you are letting them handle playbook & game plan stuff.

I believe coaches have a windup period of 2-3 years before you start seeing the results of their bars (similar to cohesion with new players), and IMO this is most obvious with strength coordinators. 1st year of a new SC is always injury heavy for me, but year 2 and beyond is much more reasonable.

There are also coaches that just win games and coaches that will leave you on 8-8 purgatory. I never change coaches in SP after a playoff appearance, doesn't matter what the bars look like.
finkellll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaStarza61 View Post
Thanks for the response! If the OC and/or DC have no impact on actual play calling, then where does play calling come from if I don't call the plays myself? Is it just random?

Your OC is rated very highly for his skill in playcalling. It seems like that could mean a few different possible things, right?

A - He is going to have a knack for calling just the right play for the situation, by some algorithm or whatnot

B - He is going to follow, more scrupulously, a script that has been designed for him by you or by the AI (fewer harmful deviations)

C - His plays are just going to work out better, for some reason - like in real football he uses clever motion, disguises blocking, whatever

D - some combination of these and/or stuff I haven't thought of

Okay, let's take this as a "how does the computer game work?" question, to separate it from too much football talk. What makes sense here?

I think from a programming perspective, C is the thing that makes the most sense, and it's how I assume "playcalling" to work in FOF. If highly rated coordinators were geniuses, we'd all be learning from their decisions. If they were just lesser screw-ups then lower-rated guys, we'd gripe about that. But C - am ambiguous invisible modifier - we wouldn't see, it would just show up in incremental results.

So, that's where I land. Nobody (or close to nobody) wants to tend to tiny details like "the FB quickly shifts from a right side alignment to a left side alignment, to distract the strong safety" in a GM game like this - but THAT is the sort of stuff that a highly rated OC playcaller gives you - his plays just work better because he's good at what he does. And over zillions of trials, that same 22 dive play goes for 4.5 ypc rather than 4.4 ypc with an average playcaller, or whatever.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote