Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 02:54 PM   #3052
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I don't agree with your premise. The means to determine if a weapon are legally acquired or not still exists, it has not been removed/taken away.

If you are speaking about weapons purchased from Federal Firearms dealers or someone else who is willing to put in the extra effort, it does exist for the most part as long as:

A) Your background check comes back with an immediate Yes or a Yes is given within the three day window. If it does not come back with a No after that three day period, the dealer still has the option to sell it to you. The FBI has 90 days including that three day waiting period to continue to investigate your background. After 90 days, if they have not decided Yes or No, they delete the background check. Actually they delete the background after 88 days to ensure that it is deleted by the 90 day mark.

Funny sidenote- If the FBI figures out after the three day waiting period but before the 88 day mark that you should not be allowed to purchase a weapon, they contact the dealer to see if they sold you the gun. The dealer does not have to tell them if they did or not but if the dealer says that they did sell you the weapon, the FBI is supposed to send the ATF to go pick up the weapons.

Quote:
Using Politifact metrics, for at least 78-87% it is relatively easy as the background check exist. For the other 13-22%, it is more difficult. It is not instantaneous (e.g. cop calling it in after a car was stopped) but it can still be done for some of the 13-22%.

Yeah about this study.

Just a moment...

It is sort of a devils in the details situation for me. Yes, 22% of all gun owners who reported obtaining their most recent firearm within the previous 2 years (2013-2015) reported doing so without a background check. Yes, among gun owners who acquired their most recent firearm within the same time frame by way of purchase, 13% did so without getting a background check. However, digging a bit deeper, 80% of the purchases were made in a store from what I assume is a Federal Firearms dealer. Those purchases contributed only 4% of the purchases made without background checks. In the other categories (Family, Friend/Acquaintance, Online and Other) the gun owners were able to make at least 45% of those purchases without a background check. Gun owners who purchased their most recent gun from a friend or an acquaintance within that time frame, 77% did so without a background check. For those purchasing online, 45% did not have a background check. If they were gifted a weapon, 57% got them without a background check. Overall, across all periods, 42% acquired their most recent firearm without a background check.

I don't know what the breakdown is of where gun purchases are happening in 2023. But if the trend is like other consumer items we are making less purchases in store or from traditional store websites etc. and more through other means. The data suggests that those other means are less likely to provide us with the means to determine if weapons are legally acquired or not. Again, if that is important to us. If people are asking why do LEOs need to determine if their weapons was legally acquired or not if they are not under suspicion as you suggested and take steps to make the determination almost impossible, it may not be that important at all.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 03:40 PM   #3053
molson
General Manager

Police don't and probably can't check whether a gun was legally acquired, they check whether a person isn't allowed to have a gun through a regular check that can be done at traffic stops or when someone is detained for something else - are they a felon, are they on probation, do they have a no-contact order. I see those kinds of charges all the time, even in Idaho. But without that, the default assumption is that it's legal

Last edited by molson : 04-19-2023 at 03:42 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 04:59 PM   #3054
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 05:03 PM   #3055
RainMaker
General Manager

jfc

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 05:48 PM   #3056
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
It was Covid when lawncare & other folks would ring/knock and step back from the door, like down my 2 steps. In retrospect, this is probably the safest thing to do nowadays.
I knock on peoples doors every day, and I always do this. I did this well before Covid. It is just smart not to try to look menacing when you are at someones door.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 06:22 PM   #3057
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Little girl, parents shot after basketball rolls into gunman's yard in Gastonia; suspect sought: police
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 07:08 PM   #3058
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Maine killings: Man recently released from prison confessed to quadruple murder of parents and friends, state police say | CNN
Old 04-19-2023, 07:11 PM   #3059
RainMaker
General Manager

Why don't kids want to play outside anymore?
Old 04-19-2023, 07:13 PM   #3060
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Worth noting that this fella was free on bond after allegedly taking a "mini sledgehammer" (?) to his then-girlfriend. He reportedly wouldn't allow her to leave for several hours until after she'd cleaned up the mess from the attack.

Not that he might be prone to random acts of violence or anything.
Old 04-20-2023, 06:04 AM   #3061
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Should have claimed self defense, then all charges would be dropped.

Columbus police explain why charges dropped against Krieg Butler | 10tv.com

The story is, black kid was playing in his yard. White dude drove over and opened fire. They arrested him for murder but dropped the charges because he claimed self-defense. 3 months later and still nothing.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 06:47 AM   #3062
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Should have claimed self defense, then all charges would be dropped.

Columbus police explain why charges dropped against Krieg Butler | 10tv.com

The story is, black kid was playing in his yard. White dude drove over and opened fire. They arrested him for murder but dropped the charges because he claimed self-defense. 3 months later and still nothing.
That one of those little things they slipped into these gun laws. They are making it hard to charge people with gun crimes as long as they use a few magic words.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:59 AM   #3063
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
That one of those little things they slipped into these gun laws. They are making it hard to charge people with gun crimes as long as they use a few magic words.

"Self-defence" is just a safer way of saying, "he's black"
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 12:18 PM   #3064
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
"Self-defence" is just a safer way of saying, "he's black"
That is absolutely the foal, but if they put it like that in the law, it would it never stand Constitutional scrutiny. Though who knows with this SC. They may go back to the 3/5th's doctrine at any time.
Old 04-21-2023, 06:31 PM   #3065
RainMaker
General Manager

Probably didn't need the mugshot as we all know what he looked like from the headline. They also went light on charges, we can all guess why.

Last edited by RainMaker : 04-21-2023 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2023, 06:36 PM   #3066
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Probably didn't need the mugshot as we all know what he looked like from the headline. They also went light on charges, we can all guess why.

I sleep better knowing our well regulated militia are out there keeping us safe.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 12:01 AM   #3067
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I guess he thought it was the gay bar and wanted his meat now
Old 04-23-2023, 12:17 AM   #3068
Edward64
Head Coach

New gun ownership is increasing. And it's just not "Bubba". Demographics are changing.

There's some other stats in the article but they weren't specific to new gun owners.

US gun sales rise amid spate of mass shootings | CNN
Quote:
“Sometime between 2016 and 2019, the new gun owners were more likely to be female and Black than prior to that
:
The Northeastern and Harvard study found that nearly 3% of US adults, or 7.5 million people, bought guns for the first time from January 2019 to April 2021. About half of the new gun owners were female, 20% were Black, and 20% were Hispanic. Overall, gun owners were 63% male and 73% White.
Quote:
“The face of gun ownership is changing somewhat and the people who are becoming new gun owners today are less likely to be male and more likely to be non-White, more likely to be somewhat younger than existing and long-standing gun owners,” Miller said.
Quote:
“A rather large slice of our current clientele is female. We sponsor a shooting group for women… Right now there is no clear (line) – Republican or Democrat or Independent – buying guns.”
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 02:12 AM   #3069
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know how 93% of men with Goatees vote.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 07:00 AM   #3070
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
New gun ownership is increasing. And it's just not "Bubba". Demographics are changing.

Yeah, that fits what I see/hear/perceive.

I probably know as many women who carry a handgun* daily as I do men tbh.
Now long barrels, that still feels heavily skewed male to me.

(*now lemme be clear: I'm saying carry not own )
Old 04-23-2023, 09:55 AM   #3071
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

There's some other stats in the article but they weren't specific to new gun owners.

US gun sales rise amid spate of mass shootings | CNN

The NRA and gun manufacturers getting their wish? You make the country a wide open wild west and folks that, previously, would never buy or carry now feel a need?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 11:02 AM   #3072
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And hasn't that always been the goal for gun manufacturers? Guns last a long time, so they don't often need replacing, but most Americans don't own guns, so...
Old 04-23-2023, 05:26 PM   #3073
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
You make the country a wide open wild west and folks that, previously, would never buy or carry now feel a need?

Probably.

My guess the #1 answer to why is protection.
Old 04-23-2023, 07:01 PM   #3074
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

You are correct, Edward: Key facts about Americans and guns.

Lots of other interesting tidbits in there.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 04-23-2023 at 07:01 PM.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 08:32 PM   #3075
RainMaker
General Manager

Seems bad that you can just legally open fire on a delivery driver for pulling in the wrong driveway, but maybe this homeowner fit a certain demographic.

Florida couple delivering Instacart groceries shot at after driving to wrong address | WFLA
Old 04-23-2023, 08:41 PM   #3076
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Seems bad that you can just legally open fire on a delivery driver for pulling in the wrong driveway, but maybe this homeowner fit a certain demographic.

Florida couple delivering Instacart groceries shot at after driving to wrong address | WFLA

So in this situation if the instacart driver had pulled a gun, fired back, and killed the homeowner. Are they protected by self defense? How does that work with castle doctrine and stand your ground laws? Is it just an endless logic circle?
Old 04-24-2023, 09:14 PM   #3077
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
So in this situation if the instacart driver had pulled a gun, fired back, and killed the homeowner. Are they protected by self defense? How does that work with castle doctrine and stand your ground laws? Is it just an endless logic circle?

We will probably find out sooner rather than later.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:18 PM   #3078
RainMaker
General Manager

I delivered pizzas in high school and am glad it was a different time back then. Way too many nuts out there.
Old 04-30-2023, 06:00 PM   #3080
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Another yadayadayada

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 04-30-2023 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-30-2023, 06:09 PM   #3081
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This dude is in Mexico. They aren't finding him
Old 04-30-2023, 07:19 PM   #3082
RainMaker
General Manager

Surprised this piece of shit didn't offer a pardon. An 8-year old died and 2 mothers died shielding their kids. He describes the victims as illegal immigrants instead.

Old 04-30-2023, 07:37 PM   #3083
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jesus Christ. The lack of humanity...
Old 04-30-2023, 08:24 PM   #3084
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This dude is in Mexico. They aren't finding him

If only they hadn't run into the wall while chasing him they would have caught him.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 04-30-2023 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-30-2023, 08:52 PM   #3085
RainMaker
General Manager

A&M-Texarkana baseball player hit in chest by stray bullet during game, police say
Old 05-01-2023, 01:42 AM   #3086
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 05-01-2023, 07:43 AM   #3087
cuervo72
Head Coach

Texas apparently needs better leash laws.
Old 05-01-2023, 08:30 AM   #3088
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

We need to spay an neuter bullets so we don't have a bunch of strays flying around.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:09 AM   #3089
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
We need to spay an neuter bullets so we don't have a bunch of strays flying around.

I'm trying to understand this ... but failing.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:18 AM   #3090
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
I'm trying to understand this ... but failing.

spay and neuter prevents stray animals.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:39 AM   #3091
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

For the GOP, "illegal" means "not white"
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 12:08 PM   #3092
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

koordannklepper - Google Search
Old 05-01-2023, 12:42 PM   #3093
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Texas apparently needs better leash laws.

Where was the good guy with a stray bullet?
Old 05-01-2023, 01:20 PM   #3094
RainMaker
General Manager

This reminds me of the NextDoor app during Halloween. Bunch of weirdos threatening to point guns at trick or treaters if they ring their bell.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:32 PM   #3095
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They supposedly have the neighbor killer guy in custody.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:03 PM   #3096
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
For the GOP, "illegal" means "not white"

Old 05-03-2023, 02:49 AM   #3097
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
They supposedly have the neighbor killer guy in custody.

Access Denied

Killer in custody; sheriff takes break from trick or treating as a cowboy to announce this

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 05-03-2023 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-03-2023, 06:57 AM   #3098
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Probably.

My guess the #1 answer to why is protection.

From what? Other people with guns?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 07:10 AM   #3099
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Jesse Watters: "Now, I saw on the way in to work an illegal immigration family digging through the trash looking for recyclables."

Jessica Tarlov: "How did you know they were illegal?"

Watters: "You can tell." pic.twitter.com/PyQxdrScgc
— Justin Baragona (@justinbaragona) May 2, 2023

Someone's clearly gunning for Tucker's old spot

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 07:20 AM   #3100
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
From what? Other people with guns?

If it's other law abiding people with guns, no.

From criminal elements, yes.

From criminal elements with guns, yes.

EDIT: from Cocaine Bears, definitely yes.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-03-2023 at 08:42 AM.