Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #1551
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Got 0.35 inches of ice in Dayton yesterday. My bushes are toast.

Luckily no branches down in my yard or on my house. I never lost power, but a bunch of people are going into day 2 with no power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
We lost power between 3 and 5am Wednesday night. I haven't had a chance to assess any permanent damage to limbs since it's been raining, sleeting or snowing for most of the past day, but several branches were bent all the way to touching the ground when the ice was at its worst.

We didn't lose power, but we lost more trees in our neighborhood than any ice storm in the last 10 years. At least 6-10 trees split in half. Many broken branches off of trees in our backyard, but at least we were lucky. Our trees will recover. The willow in our back neighbors house lost at least 1/3 of it's large branches, the neighbors pear split and it's laying across part of my yard. It was a rough one. I was thankful it wasn't windy, or it would have been devastating.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 11-16-2018 at 10:25 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #1552
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Potential for "historic" (for December) snow totals in NC and southern Virginia this weekend. Weather Underground is showing us getting 8-12 inches in GSO just on Sunday, and another couple of inches or so both Saturday night and Monday morning.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #1553
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Looks like the trend is for a further south snow, keeping us in KY out of the target zone. But we're likely going to see flakes nearly every day for the next week, just nothing too big. Half-inch expected tonight.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #1554
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Potential for "historic" (for December) snow totals in NC and southern Virginia this weekend. Weather Underground is showing us getting 8-12 inches in GSO just on Sunday, and another couple of inches or so both Saturday night and Monday morning.

still waiting to see if we going to get any snow here in Myrtle. Looks like rain though. :::sigh:::
Old 12-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #1555
Ben E Lou

Interesting week. The NWS and local TV have been hemming and hawing around the forecasts, saying stuff like "big winter storm is coming but we're not sure about the impacts yet." It's like they are unwilling to say "we may well get 10+ inches of snow and/or more than a quarter inch of ice accumulation" and as a result, people who aren't reading the social media meteorologists like Wade's guy are saying "no big deal" and "it's December..ground isn't warm enough for it to stick," etc. There's a good chance of significant icing here on Monday, and the Home Depot near me still has a ton of generators in stock and hasn't moved them to high-traffic parts of the store like they usually do when a big storm is on the way. I suspect there's going to be an insane rush Friday and Saturday to get prepared here.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 12-06-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #1556
Ben E Lou

Dola...

Quote:
CURRENT NWS FORECAST FOR MY ZIP CODE
Quote:

Saturday Night
A slight chance of rain and snow before midnight, then a chance of snow and sleet between midnight and 2am, then a chance of snow after 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 29. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible. {BEN EDITORIAL: I suspect that the average nitwit has no idea that "between a tenth and a quarter of an inch" of translates to 1-3 inches of snow.)

Sunday
Snow before 3pm, then freezing rain and sleet. High near 32. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Sunday Night
Freezing rain and sleet before 3am, then freezing rain likely between 3am and 5am, then snow likely after 5am. Low around 30. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Monday
Rain, snow, freezing rain, and sleet likely before noon, then a chance of rain between noon and 4pm, then a chance of rain and snow after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 37. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Monday Night
A chance of rain and snow before 9pm, then a chance of snow between 9pm and 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Quote:
CURRENT FORECAST FROM ANOTHER SOURCE
{BEN EDITORIAL: And this is consistent with several other places, and hasn't really changed much in 2-3 days.}
Saturday Night 12/08
Rain and snow showers in the evening, becoming all snow overnight. Some mixed winter precipitation possible. Low 27F. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precip 90%. Snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches.

Sunday 12/09
Cloudy with snow. Temps nearly steady around 30. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 100%. 8 to 12 inches of snow expected.

Sunday Night 12/09
Cloudy with a mixture of winter precipitation. Low 28F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precip 100%. 1 to 3 inches of snow and ice expected.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 12-06-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #1557
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
still waiting to see if we going to get any snow here in Myrtle. Looks like rain though. :::sigh:::
hope it doesnt snow.
Supposed to take my son down Sunday for a week.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #1558
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
hope it doesnt snow.
Supposed to take my son down Sunday for a week.

Looks like its just going to be cold rain here and a lot of it.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #1559
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I suspect there's going to be an insane rush Friday and Saturday to get prepared here.
Heh. I understated this. Imagine a busy Christmas shopping weekend combined with a major snowstorm. Glad I only had to go beyond our neighborhood grocery store only once in the last 36 hours. (And that little place was INSANE, comparatively. Never seen anything like it.

NWS has upped the forecast for my specific location to around 13 inches. Hunkered in here. It's going to be a wet snowstorm, too, so power outages are likely even if we don't get the icing that was expected. Ugh.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:33 PM   #1560
miked
College Starter

Get yo milk!!
Old 12-09-2018, 06:47 PM   #1561
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Looks like its just going to be cold rain here and a lot of it.

Holed up at HGI at coastal grand mall...watching Dallas be morons
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #1562
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Holed up at HGI at coastal grand mall...watching Dallas be morons

You could have stayed home to do that
Old 12-12-2018, 05:54 AM   #1563
miami_fan
Coordinator

https://weather.com/news/news/2018-1...see-earthquake
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #1564
Kodos
Resident Alien

Do earthquakes really count as weather?
Old 12-12-2018, 11:35 PM   #1565
bhlloy
Coordinator

I’ve been in ATL since Monday and so far everyone has lost their god damned mind about a morning in which it was 10 degrees above freezing and there may have been some light ice on the ground, and now an earthquake in the mid 4’s. I thought y’all were supposed to be tough in SEC country *ducks*
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #1566
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

11 inches of snow and counting here in Troy, Mo
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:54 AM   #1567
PilotMan
Head Coach

Nothing like starting the day on the beach in Punta Cana and ending it with a three hour drive (normally less than two) in the middle of the night, from Louisville to Cincinnati in a blizzard.

Cars in ditches, semi trucks jackknifed on hills, and roads where no plow or salt truck had touched. Good times.

Like Steam?

Old 01-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #1568
tarcone
Coordinator

The storm mizzourah mentioned saw the same thing in my neighborhood as what you went through, pilot.

But worse. I44 was a literal parking lot. People spent the night in their cars.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:20 PM   #1569
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thank god we don’t get ice really but I had something like 14 inches of snow in my driveway/on my car.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:11 PM   #1570
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

4+ foot drifts in my driveway today. I haven't had to shovel snow in a long, long time.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #1571
miami_fan
Coordinator

I know you guys in the Midwest and Northeast are tough hearty souls but damn this does not seem to be the time to challenge Old Man Winter. I just heard a news report where they were advising people not to talk while outside. WTF

Stay warm.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #1572
Butter
Coordinator

Already cancelled school at most schools around here.

I legit remember standing outside waiting for a bus in a Starter jacket at -5 air temp when I was maybe 14.

Now, wind chill gets below zero and we're shuttin' 'er down.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #1573
hoopsguy
General Manager

Supposed to be high of -15 tomorrow in Chicago, low of -30. As much as I like to recollect my hardiest weather moments from days of yore, I think that is an acceptable threshold to keep kids at home.

Wind chill below zero and my junior high school daughter is wearing shorts and crocs (with socks) to basketball practice, much to her mother's chagrin. And the same is true for most of her teammates, or classmates getting dropped off in the morning. It isn't really the kids asking for the schools to be shut down ... at least not because it is cold.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:32 PM   #1574
PilotMan
Head Coach

Guess who's got a long (36hr) Chicago layover starting tomorrow? Guess who is probably ordering Dominos for food?

Like Steam?

Old 01-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #1575
PilotMan
Head Coach

I honestly don't remember cancellations for cold weather in North Dakota. Cold was expected. Maybe the buses didn't run, but unless there were snow drifts or life threatening conditions it seemed like we were there.

Like Steam?

Old 01-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #1576
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Here in Winnipeg right now, it is -32 Celsius (around -26 Fahrenheit). It was -51 Celsius (-60) with the windchill around 9:00 AM this morning but presently sitting around -48 Celsius with the wind. The temperature is supposed to drop to -39 Celsius (-38 Fahrenheit) overnight, with the windchill feeling like it's -52.

I can generally deal with regular temps in the -15 to -20 Celsius range. This is just too cold right now though. It's pretty uncomfortable outside.

School and everything else today was still on.

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 01-29-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #1577
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Guess who's got a long (36hr) Chicago layover starting tomorrow? Guess who is probably ordering Dominos for food?

Order good Chicago pizza.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:11 PM   #1578
cougarfreak
College Starter

They just shut our schools down for tomorrow in NKY as well. And my Girls Hoops is #1 in the state, and we were due to play the #5 team in the state and they cancelled that already for tomorrow night. That stinks.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #1579
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

You're right, but I've got freebies I can use!

Like Steam?

Old 01-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #1580
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
There's just something very wrong about this. The food part, I mean.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #1581
lungs
Pro Rookie

Can't say I miss the cows in weather like this..... Talk about misery.

Now I have a 73 degree grow room to work in
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #1582
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

So...Dominoes?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:41 PM   #1583
Edward64
Head Coach

Schools were closed in my county in GA today. As I predicted to wife and daughter, a total bust. Cold weather but weatherfolks got it wrong.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:29 AM   #1584
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I get to go to work when it's -7 outside. I am now pro global warming.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:18 AM   #1585
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I honestly don't remember cancellations for cold weather in North Dakota. Cold was expected. Maybe the buses didn't run, but unless there were snow drifts or life threatening conditions it seemed like we were there.

Yeah I'm not quite sure I understand closing school simply due to cold, unless we are talking about somewhere fairly south where they don't have furnaces or something. If the inside of the school is otherwise as warm as the inside of the kids' house, why can't they go learn something?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:20 AM   #1586
Butter
Coordinator

I guess the concern is for locations where kids have to gather at a central location and wait for the bus. Since you can get frostbite in "less than 10 minutes", there is a liability risk. Nobody wants to get sued.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:40 AM   #1587
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I guess the concern is for locations where kids have to gather at a central location and wait for the bus. Since you can get frostbite in "less than 10 minutes", there is a liability risk. Nobody wants to get sued.

Or a bus breaks down, or drops a kid off at home and the parents aren't there and they forgot their key, etc...Too many liabilities for the school and bus companies.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #1588
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I get to go to work when it's -7 outside. I am now pro global warming.

That's what got us here. Polar ice melts = the jet stream goes all screwy = cold air that's usually locked to the poles gets loose and cries havoc.

Last edited by SackAttack : 01-30-2019 at 10:37 AM.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:05 AM   #1589
PilotMan
Head Coach

The worst of all this is that I'm on the beach in Puerto Rico right now and I am supposed to leave this, for the frozen tundra of Chicago in a couple hours. I'm calling shenanigans.

Like Steam?

Old 01-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #1590
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
The worst of all this is that I'm on the beach in Puerto Rico right now and I am supposed to leave this, for the frozen tundra of Chicago in a couple hours. I'm calling shenanigans.

Ask for Asylum?
Old 01-30-2019, 11:11 AM   #1591
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Or a bus breaks down, or drops a kid off at home and the parents aren't there and they forgot their key, etc...Too many liabilities for the school and bus companies.

Is it just like people don't have the right kind of jackets? Or don't have toques or mitts? I remember when they tried to cancel recess because it was sub -30. Parents complained, kids were able to have recess outdoors again.

At least with the cold I can dress to stay warm, with the heat short of sitting in an air conditioned room what can you do?
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #1592
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Schools are definitely cancelled more often. Guessing its a liability issue today.

I only remember school being cancelled a few times. A couple blizzards and one time when it got so cold the pipes burst at the school. Then again, I don't remember any -20 degree days when I was a kid.

I absolutely love winter and the cold. But this is too much. Not sure how mail carriers are doing it today. I took the trash out earlier and it hurts to breathe. The beams in my house were creaking last night which was a bit unnerving.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #1593
PilotMan
Head Coach

The biggest thing I remember is that your body can't sense change in temp below about -20. So if it's colder, you can get real damage and frostbite, but not know it's that bad until it's already done. All it knows is that it's really cold, that's part of what makes the temps so dangerous.

Like Steam?

Old 01-30-2019, 12:03 PM   #1594
RainMaker
General Manager

You Canadians don't count. When I lived in Minnesota and knew a bunch of you it was clear you're a different species. You're like polar bears.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:57 PM   #1595
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
Is it just like people don't have the right kind of jackets? Or don't have toques or mitts?

Most closures in the U.S. South are due to travel concerns (and associated liability), not cold.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #1596
henry296
College Starter

I've heard too that it can be related to even having the buses start in the cold weather since they are usually parked outside.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #1597
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This 2014 story -- with some 8,000 students in AL & GA stuck on the road or in schools overnight -- almost certainly has something to do with the erring on the side of caution we've seen in the years since.

Freak Southern Snow Storm Strands 8,000 Students - ABC News
Old 01-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #1598
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I've heard too that it can be related to even having the buses start in the cold weather since they are usually parked outside.

We had a construction project slated for January in Northern Alberta. The owner decided to put it out to an open bid, hoping to save some money. Contractor from the southern US won the job, looking to expand into the Canadian Oil market. Time comes to start the job, contractor shows up, it's around -20 F and going to be in around there for the rest of the month, as is pretty typical. Site guy tells the contractor they can get their winter diesel over there. Contractor was like, winter diesel? What's that? Needless to say a lot of the equipment wouldn't start, and when it did, hoses were freezing. Wound up with a whole new contractor coming in a month later to do the work and changes to the bid process.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:28 PM   #1599
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post

Back in the day they used to just run the bus through the night.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #1600
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Back in the day they used to just run the bus through the night.

Back in the day gas was a bit cheaper

Then again, back in the day people wouldn't have lost their minds at the carbon emissions from buses running all night either