Originally Posted by nol View Post
Interesting theory I saw the other day.

Hahaha. A pleasant surprise.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #102
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Watched like 6 episodes in a row when i got home from work last night. Wow...those boobs in episode 2.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #103
stevew
Hall Of Famer

do we know who killed MM's kid? I don't think it was as simple as a tricycle accident.
Marty's daughter was also molested by someone, i bet it's related to the original killing.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #104
whomario
Pro Starter

why wouldnīt it have been an accident ? He didnīt even live in Louisiana at the time or do i have the timeline of events switched up ?
Itīs part of the characters profile and the reason he turned out the way he did, no reason for the writers to have it be connected with anything else.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 03-09-2014 at 08:13 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:14 PM   #105
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
why wouldnīt it have been an accident ? He didnīt even live in Louisiana at the time or do i have the timeline of events switched up ?
Itīs part of the characters profile and the reason he turned out the way he did, no reason for the writers to have it be connected with anything else.

I agree and would be rather disappointed if they tried to tie that into this. There has been no other mention of it so I doubt that will tie in.

Now for Marty's daughter, there is something going on there. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes a season two plot.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #106
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I have to say, Woody is a good actor. It took me a little while with his earlier roles to stop seeing the Cheers Woody but he has successfully avoided being type cast after that.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #107
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I agree and would be rather disappointed if they tried to tie that into this. There has been no other mention of it so I doubt that will tie in.

Now for Marty's daughter, there is something going on there. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes a season two plot.

Season two is going to be an entirely different story with different characters, so that's unlikely. This is our last go with Rust and Marty.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #108
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Season two is going to be an entirely different story with different characters, so that's unlikely. This is our last go with Rust and Marty.

One of my buddies mentioned Marty's father in law as a guy who might be involved in some way. Mostly as a way to explain how Marty's daughter turned out and the whole doll scene in episode 1.

It's plausible to me, and it could be nonsense. I have no idea.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #109
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ah, didn't know that. Tough act to follow for the next group.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #110
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler
Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #111
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler
Old 03-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #112
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

I'm satisfied with the ending.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #113
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler
Old 03-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #114
Drake
assmaster

I was a little disappointed. Sort of felt, starting last episode, like the show was becoming more procedural and less "interesting"...but I have that same issue with detective stories in general.

I prefer the mystery to the solution.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #115
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Up until the second to last show I don't believe they ever had a scene where one of them wasn't involved. I think when they branched out it kind of hurt the show a bit.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #116
Drake
assmaster

About EF's second issue:

Spoiler

Edit to add: Of course, if my reading of that detail is accurate, then Cohle's final luuurv epiphany then feels like a major betrayal of that character's core identity. It's a cheap-assed come-to-Jebus moment.

Last edited by Drake : 03-09-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:23 PM   #117
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
About EF's second issue:

Spoiler

Edit to add: Of course, if my reading of that detail is accurate, then Cohle's final luuurv epiphany then feels like a major betrayal of that character's core identity. It's a cheap-assed come-to-Jebus moment.

Very much agree, good summary. But, I loved how is was Marty who says darkness is everywhere, and it's rust that says he sees light winning. Rust confirmed his love of family, while the rest of the shows families deconstructed. Great turn. So glad they didn't tie everything to everything.

Last edited by AENeuman : 03-09-2014 at 11:24 PM.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #118
Johnny93g
College Starter

I couldn't be more satisfied. No disappointment at all.

No real tricks, no real twists, just a show that tried to tell a story, and did it better then anything I've ever seen.

I really enjoyed watching Rust and Marty's relationship evolve, and pick up again after all these years. They really do like each other.

I was truly on the edge of my seat from the moment they got to the house. I felt like the detectives, no clue what they were about to find.
TML
Old 03-10-2014, 12:24 AM   #119
Radii
Head Coach

Also 100% satisfied.

Spoiler
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:58 AM   #120
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There were just so many memorable things that happened in this show. The stash house take down. Alexandra Daddario. Maybe the prologue was a bit long, but unless you wanted to end it like something like the movie Seven, you weren't gonna end it with a super strong 15 minutes.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:00 AM   #121
stevew
Hall Of Famer

RE:The Emmy's

I have zero issue if McConaughey takes the Emmy over Bryan Cranston. He was on fire all 8 episodes.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:09 AM   #122
sabotai
General Manager

Spoiler
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #123
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
RE:The Emmy's

I have zero issue if McConaughey takes the Emmy over Bryan Cranston. He was on fire all 8 episodes.

Im not sure but I dont believe theyll be in the same category. True Detective will count as a miniseries, Breaking Bad as a series so they can both win.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:21 AM   #124
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I clapped at the end. Bravo for good fuckin' television. It's about damn time.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:40 AM   #125
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Im not sure but I dont believe theyll be in the same category. True Detective will count as a miniseries, Breaking Bad as a series so they can both win.

Ah, yeah I see now that American Horror Story is in that category.

Agree with whomever said HBO theme credits suck. Hated this one, hated True Blood. After crming through 70 EPs of the sopranos last month I hate that one as well.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:43 AM   #126
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd love it if they did some pulp era LA Confidential type thing next year.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #127
Logan
Head Coach

I heard HBO Go was a disaster for anyone trying to watch this last night. I'm curious as to what percentage of those users truly have their own accounts, versus being given log in info from someone who is actually paying for the service.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #128
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I don't think there's any need for the Spoiler tags, fellas. Feel free to drop those.

Overall the show was fantastic. I felt like it lost a bit of steam over the final three episodes, but not enough to make it a disappointment. The show still had great acting, great writing, beautiful direction.

Ever since "Lost" people have been all about searching for clues, meaning, twists and the like. It just wasn't that kind of show.

The one lingering question for me was Marty's daughter. I am not sure why they had her arrange her dolls like that, draw those pictures and all of that if it wasn't tied into what was happening. I guess I can buy into Drake's explanation, seems plausible enough.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #129
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Completely agree with the above. Also agree with a couple of earlier posts about the climactic confrontation. I kind of expected something along the lines of Seven but would have also appreciated an anticlimactic confrontation like Fargo.

What I do know is that both leads absolutely killed it and I hope they get recognized. I think they also set up this series for great things to come because they set the bar so high and great actors/writers/directors will feel that this is an appropriate venue to put out top quality work. As an example, I believe the same guy made Training Day and End of Watch. Either of those stories could have been better told in this format and maybe in the future they will be.

I also think that I am very happy with the idea that this story is over. No need to come up with reasons to keep the story going. Shows like Glee, the Shield, Rescue Me, and Lost could have followed a limited run format and been better for it. (Although the Shield was pretty strong throughout).
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #130
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

What do you mean, "Scented meat?"
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #131
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I heard HBO Go was a disaster for anyone trying to watch this last night. I'm curious as to what percentage of those users truly have their own accounts, versus being given log in info from someone who is actually paying for the service.

The more over the top the outrage was, the more likely it was borrowed accounts. HBOGO is awesome but I'd much rather watch it off my DVR. Easier to skip credit sequence, for starters.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #132
APC
Mascot

The last 18 minutes of the finale was some of the best television I've ever seen. Both Harrelson and MM deserve an Emmy.

The sequence at the Childress residence gave off a Texas Chainsaw Massacre vibe. I loved it.

Last edited by APC : 03-10-2014 at 03:22 PM.
APC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #133
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Something that took away from it for me was the change of format. The entire show was all about them. The finale became about the nut job. Didn't need to see him in the scene painting or with his wife slash sister.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #134
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by APC View Post

The sequence at the Childress residence gave off a Texas Chainsaw Massacre vibe. I loved it.

Fucking terrifying
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #135
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's probably why people referred to him as the Yellow King though. All of that yellow paint he used in that job and many others.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #136
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Something that took away from it for me was the change of format. The entire show was all about them. The finale became about the nut job. Didn't need to see him in the scene painting or with his wife slash sister.

They devoted 3 scenes i believe to Childress in the finale, to show us something about the killer they could not show for 7 episodes. It showed us what Marty and Rust were about to encounter. I understand personal preference and all that, but in no way was the finale about the nut job.

It concluded the story of Marty and Rust. Brilliant stuff IMO.
TML
Old 03-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #137
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Heard this line from a U2 song and I think it describes rusts journey perfectly:

Kick the darkness till it bleeds daylight
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #138
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Absolutely amazing show and what a journey it was. The confrontation was really well-done and tense. Looking forward to another season to see what the showrunners come up with.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #139
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
That's probably why people referred to him as the Yellow King though. All of that yellow paint he used in that job and many others.

Pretty sure the Yellow King was more of a god-like being those nutjobs looked to, not him.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #140
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Fantastic ending.. fantastic series.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #141
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

More of this can never come too soon. A really good and satisfying ending is one of the things almost every show or movie has a hard time achieving and True Detective pulled it off with ease. The whole show managed to feel like a crescendo to me, and the climax was intense. The pleasant reverberations afterward were a great way to fade this story to black.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #142
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Ever since "Lost" people have been all about searching for clues, meaning, twists and the like. It just wasn't that kind of show.

Watched the show in spurts over the past month, so I just watched it - no reading theories online, no discussions, so all the talk about Marty's daughter and other possible cliched "greater conspiracies" were a surprise to me upon catching up with this thread.

I loved it. The show was always very realistic (maybe save the biker abduction part) and was *always* about two men. If it had been Homelanded with some great conspiracy where the clues had been laid out for us (let alone any Lovecraftian shit) it wouldn't have rung true. It was about Rust and Marty, their demons, and the debt they had to pay.

Absolutely fantastic.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #143
Subby
lolzcat

Finally finished this off last night. If you want to read a great wrap-up review, go here. There is also an excellent interview of Pizzolatto by Alan Sepinwall that really elucidates the thematic structure of the show.

The whole show was so great. My favorite part just from an artistic standpoint might be the six minute tracking shot from the end of episode 4. Just brilliant.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #144
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I loved how MM smoked his cigarettes.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #145
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Wife and I watched all 10 episodes over a 3 week period, capping things off a couple nights ago.

Wow. This show provided, without question, some of the most engaging television viewing I've experienced in my life. Just fantastic.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #146
Radii
Head Coach

True Detective submitted as a drama instead of a miniseries (like American Horror Story does) for the Emmy's. Gonna be interesting to see if they can win anything over Breaking Bad this year, since I think most assume Breaking Bad is going to win everything for general achievement for the whole series (kind of like Return of the King did at the Oscars back in the day).

Personally, I could totally see McConaughey winning best actor over Cranston, since Cranston already has a ton of those, but I don't think there is a chance in hell anything else but Breaking Bad wins best drama.

I'm not trying at all to start a "which is better" debate. Both were *awesome*. I'm more interested in the fact that True Detective could have submitted as a miniseries and won every single thing they were up for without a contest if they cared about that at all.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #147
Logan
Head Coach

I was surprised by that too and I agree with your line of thinking. With all the acclaim McConaughey has gotten over the past year, HBO probably thinks they can ride that momentum while also taking advantage of "Cranston has a bunch already". They probably consider the potential prestige from having another Best Actor in their stable way above a Best Miniseries.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #149
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
I loved how MM smoked his cigarettes.

I almost wish I still smoked so I could practice.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:11 AM   #150
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just flew through season 1 on demand. Wow.

MM and Woody were outstanding as was the story. This show should kill it when the Emmy's role around again.