Old 11-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Louis CK & Other Hollywood/Celebrity Types Sexual Misconduct

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Feels like this has been hinted at for at least a year.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
Ben E Lou

Story just hit. NYT.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Looks like the story just dropped.

Louis C.K. Crossed a Line Into Sexual Misconduct, 5 Women Say - The New York Times

He masturbated in front of 2 female comedians and harassed 3 others.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Damn it.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Well this sucks.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #7
mckerney
Coordinator

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
korme
Go Reds

Surprised it took this long
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #9
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

maybe we should start a thread for people that havent been charged with sexual shenanigans
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #10
RainMaker
General Manager

It might be easier to make threads about people in Hollywood who aren't complete perverts toward women.

Edit: beaten by a second!

Last edited by RainMaker : 11-09-2017 at 02:20 PM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #11
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

woo-hoo!
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #12
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
maybe we should start a thread for people that havent been charged with sexual shenanigans

1. Frank Stallone

Actually I had to google that, and then I found articles about a sexual harassment lawsuit against Sly Stallone, from back in the old days of March 2017 when that kind of thing wasn't a career killer.

I think Frank's clean though.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:46 PM   #13
sabotai
General Manager

I think the old Norm MacDonald SNL bit every time I see a headline for someone who is the best at something (usually sports related)

"Through 9 weeks, Alex Smith is #1 in Passer Rating"

"And coming in at 2nd place, you guessed it. Frank Stallone."
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #14
Suicane75
Coordinator

Louis CK is a very good sexual predator. He's only a bad sexual predator compared to other, professional, sexual predators.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #15
Autumn
Head Coach

Time to just burn it all down and start over?

This is the first of these that really disappointed me. But I actually hope they drag every asshole out into the light, like I hope this goes on for months and months and maybe then it will be clear to these guys their shit ain't allowed.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

There's a lot of things I (thankfully) don't understand about the behavior that results in these kind of stories. But what might be the craziest is how, after doing these things, being accused of these things, and apologizing for these things, you still make it part of your very public act.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #17
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I haven't even read it, but Tig Notaro has been openly talking about this stuff for a while now.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:24 PM   #18
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I have a friend that looks a lot like him. He is probably hiding his face a lot now.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #19
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
+1
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #20
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

Yup, you could see it coming.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #21
PilotMan
Head Coach

First story I saw regarding rumors was Gawker back in 2012. The rumors have been out there for a while.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:51 AM   #22
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah these rumors have been out there forever, that said, I think they were also explicitly denied to be about CK by the person who made them (and eventually CK himself), so it's still kind of a small surprise to see them turn out to be true. And it's weird that he was kind of courting the rumours and explicitly exploring these themes apparently while he was doing the same skeezy stuff..some kinda weird shame/compulsion shit going on?

Upon reflection it kinda makes all the aggressive "my kids (who all happen to be daughters) are shitty" humor kind of uncomfortable. I remember him kinda trashing the his ex-wife on his show, as a character as well. Which is not at all to say that he's a pedo or anything sexual, so much as he just doesn't sound great as the only/main parental influence for a couple of young daughters, after reconsidering his comedy with the benefit of hindsight.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 11-10-2017 at 02:00 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:14 AM   #23
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

He's always just generally made me uncomfortable, and so has never been a comedian I really enjoyed, so this news doesn't hurt nearly in the way the Cosby revelations did.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:08 AM   #24
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I think what Louis CK has going for him that maybe others don't is that I'm not sure he ever tried to have some other persona. Cosby was brought up in this thread but not only did Cosby claim to be super clean but he lectured those who weren't. Louis CK seemed to basically say in his act and interviews what kind of a dirtbag he is. I just don't see this effecting his fans much. Probably kills his leap to mainstream megastar but maybe in some sort of Freudian subconscious way he didn't want that anyways?

Last edited by panerd : 11-10-2017 at 07:08 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #25
QuikSand
lolzcat

I semi-agree that the lack of hypocrisy is a benefit for him, but I don't think you can forecast little effect. There's always the element of "do I want to support/enrich this person?" in play... and as a one-man show (especially since he's gone so far into distributing his material himself, etc) that seems to land hard on him.

I think he's possibly the very best stand up comedian ever - or at least the last 5-10 years have put him into that conversation - and I'll likely hesitate to go and spend money on something from him. Does that make me willfully naive or hypocritical (if we all "saw this coming" pun maybe intended) for enjoying him all these years? I don't know.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #26
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I've been a huge fan too - you can even see me in the front rows of his last Netflix special "2017" - but unless there's a complete mea culpa and he takes full ownership of this and apologizes, I'm never going to watch or listen to another second that creep does ever again.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #27
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I semi-agree that the lack of hypocrisy is a benefit for him, but I don't think you can forecast little effect. There's always the element of "do I want to support/enrich this person?" in play... and as a one-man show (especially since he's gone so far into distributing his material himself, etc) that seems to land hard on him.

I think he's possibly the very best stand up comedian ever - or at least the last 5-10 years have put him into that conversation - and I'll likely hesitate to go and spend money on something from him. Does that make me willfully naive or hypocritical (if we all "saw this coming" pun maybe intended) for enjoying him all these years? I don't know.

He's been my favorite comedian for a long while now and I'm with you in feeling conflicted. I did willfully ignore the rumors, and wanted them to be wrong.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #28
Kodos
Resident Alien

Somewhere out there, Paul Reubens is feeling pretty good about himself.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #29
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

spacey, Moore, CK....who's next? trump???
Old 11-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #30
Kodos
Resident Alien

My wife told me last night that Charlie Sheen was accused by Corey Feldman of sexually assaulting Corey Haim. Does that count?

I think Barney the dinosaur is next.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #31
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
My wife told me last night that Charlie Sheen was accused by Corey Feldman of sexually assaulting Corey Haim. Does that count?

did he try to explore Dora?
Old 11-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
did he try to explore Dora?

puts a whole diff spin on the reason for the slight D-D-D-Dora stutter I guess.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Somewhere out there, Paul Reubens is feeling pretty good about himself.

Hey, feeling good about himself is what got him in trouble the first time
Old 11-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #34
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

And Chloe from Smallville is allegedly second in command of a sex cult...
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #35
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
puts a whole diff spin on the reason for the slight D-D-D-Dora stutter I guess.

Just what exactly was Swiper trying to swipe?!
Old 11-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #36
Logan
Head Coach

I see a lot of fellow comedians/friends of CK getting shit online about either ignoring rumors in the past, or not coming out with strong statements "denouncing" CK. Is it just me, or are we not allowing people to have normal human conflicting thoughts on how to properly deal with this stuff? I'm sure it's difficult coming to grips with the idea that your friend isn't actually who you think he is, and people will struggle with that whether they're celebrities with money or normal schmucks like us.

I see the Twitter mob going after a guy like Aziz Ansari and I just don't get it. To me, as long as you're not victim shaming or outright denying/questioning the motivation of the accusers, let these people react however they feel is right.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #37
QuikSand
lolzcat

mobs get unruly, that's what they do
Old 11-10-2017, 12:06 PM   #38
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Is it just me, or are we not allowing people to have normal human conflicting thoughts on how to properly deal with this stuff?

I'm reminded a bit (maybe more than just a bit?) of the whole big gaming/YT/social media kerfluffle known as Gamergate.

While I largely ignored that mess, wasn't one notable element of it how there were basically packs going after this person or that person based on their perceived reaction to some previous element of it?

Like Quik said, this is kinda what mobs DO.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:16 PM   #39
Butter
Coordinator

I was in a ruly mob once.

Pretty boring. Lots of paperwork.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #40
Ben E Lou

In case you missed it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis C.K.
I want to address the stories told to The New York Times by five women named Abby, Rebecca, Dana, Julia who felt able to name themselves and one who did not.

These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly.

I have been remorseful of my actions. And I’ve tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position.

I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn’t want to hear it. I didn’t think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it.

There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with.

I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work.

The hardest regret to live with is what you’ve done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. I’d be remiss to exclude the hurt that I’ve brought on people who I work with and have worked with who’s professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of Better Things, Baskets, The Cops, One Mississippi, and I Love You Daddy. I deeply regret that this has brought negative attention to my manager Dave Becky who only tried to mediate a situation that I caused. I’ve brought anguish and hardship to the people at FX who have given me so much The Orchard who took a chance on my movie. and every other entity that has bet on me through the years.

I’ve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.

I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-10-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #41
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm reluctant to say anything that sounds anything at all like "well, all is forgiven," but I'd say this: for the countless shitheads who puke out a non-apology in a situation like this, this is a lot closer to how you're supposed do it when the chips are down.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #42
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I'm reluctant to say anything that sounds anything at all like "well, all is forgiven," but I'd say this: for the countless shitheads who puke out a non-apology in a situation like this, this is a lot closer to how you're supposed do it when the chips are down.
Amen.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #43
Butter
Coordinator

I mean, I could've done without the awards show paragraph where he names all of his shows in production and his agent.

But sure.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #44
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That was a decent apology.

I'm relatively bummed that the recent revolution of abuse reporting has revealed one of my closest friends to be kind of a creepy dude. Literally every time one of these stories comes up he immediately segues into a long explanation about why he's not trying to blame the victims, before coming up with some way to gaslight/question the victims (usually along the lines of "Why didn't they just leave?"). Once or twice I might be able to look past, since we're both old farts who love to play devil's advocate, but EVERY time, and with some conviction, is something of a red flag.

I've started to try to check him to the best of my ability (which admittedly isn't much), but it's easier said than done, when talking with a close personal friend, rather than a strawman, or some construct on the internet. Like Louis and a lot of these dudes, I think my friend's issues with women (and himself) are largely based in shame and there's a real challenge in trying to check someone's core behavior without also making them feel more shamed/judged, which might just serve to make the attitude/behavior even worse.

Anybody else dealing with similar challenges these days?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 11-10-2017 at 01:01 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #45
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

It seems more like a confession than an apology, in my opinion.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #46
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah. I know a lot of it is that I'm a huge fan of his, but that's about as good as you can write an apology in this sort of scenario.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #47
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yep. Though I do think his manager was pretty slimy as well. I know he was trying to let him off the hook, but still.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #48
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
He's always just generally made me uncomfortable, and so has never been a comedian I really enjoyed, so this news doesn't hurt nearly in the way the Cosby revelations did.

Yup, totally this. His comedy is creepy and unfunny to me, so to see him exposed as a creep in real life? Shocker alert.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #49
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
That was a decent apology.

I'm relatively bummed that the recent revolution of abuse reporting has revealed one of my closest friends to be kind of a creepy dude. Literally every time one of these stories comes up he immediately segues into a long explanation about why he's not trying to blame the victims, before coming up with some way to gaslight/question the victims (usually along the lines of "Why didn't they just leave?"). Once or twice I might be able to look past, since we're both old farts who love to play devil's advocate, but EVERY time, and with some conviction, is something of a red flag.

I've started to try to check him to the best of my ability (which admittedly isn't much), but it's easier said than done, when talking with a close personal friend, rather than a strawman, or some construct on the internet. Like Louis and a lot of these dudes, I think my friend's issues with women (and himself) are largely based in shame and there's a real challenge in trying to check someone's core behavior without also making them feel more shamed/judged, which might just serve to make the attitude/behavior even worse.

Anybody else dealing with similar challenges these days?

After reading the apology, I found myself just saying "Ok, now what" specifically because of these types of challenges.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #50
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

some facebook people already angry at the apologies and not accepting them at all