Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #51
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yup, totally this. His comedy is creepy and unfunny to me, so to see him exposed as a creep in real life? Shocker alert.

His humor, in my opinion, is exceptionally and sometimes painfully honest. This, like all things will need some time to deal. I think he will recover from it, but not before a good bit of time off, and perhaps an apology tour after a while. It reminds me of "say it ain't so, Joe". People we really like sometimes just plain let us down.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 11-10-2017 at 02:59 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #52
Drake
assmaster

I think it's a genius apology -- some Jonathan Swift caliber satire. He gets to mention his dick like 6 times in the first two paragraphs, talk about all of his current projects, and self-flagellate enough that he somehow manages to invalidate the notion of sexual harassment trauma before anyone else can make the argument. It's an apology so heartfelt that it silences his accusers, who can't grandstand on it without damaging their own credibility by appearing vindictive. Put in the larger (Weinstein) context, it steals the moral thrust of sexual harassment and weaponizes "feeling bad" in a way that minimizes the whole story. I mean, the narrative lumps him in with the Weinstein's of the world, but the contrast he creates by being so heartfelt and seemingly authentic paints him more in the category of excusable foibles and bandwagon victims who aren't really so victimized after all.

He's literally apologizing for showing his dick in such a way that you can't help but imagine Louis C.K.'s dick while you're reading it.

I mean, I'd expect a long con like that more from Sacha Baron Cohen, but I can appreciate solid craft when I see it.

Last edited by Drake : 11-10-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:40 PM   #53
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

so are we never ready to accept an actual apology when we hear one?
maybe we think there is no such thing.

and that of course is the Royal "we"
(not to be confused with Louis CK's...er...never mind)

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 11-10-2017 at 03:41 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #54
Drake
assmaster

Oh, I'm 50/50 on it being a completely sincere apology.

I'm also 50/50 on hearing a year from now in his comeback autobiography that the whole thing was a con and this story was cooked up in the back room of a comedy club as a social commentary on the tendency of sexual harassment reporting to morph into hysterical extremes of itself.

ETA: Then again, I'm also the guy who posts the certificates of completion from our organization's annual sexual harassment training prominently in my cubicle, so I might have an over-developed sense of irony in this regard.

Last edited by Drake : 11-10-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #55
Drake
assmaster

Additionally, I'm not really up on comedians and am only familiar with Louis C.K. to the extent that I know he's a famous comedian, so I might be giving him more credit for cleverness than he deserves.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #56
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I was kinda thinking that comedians get into this kind of trouble more as sometimes they go too far for a joke. And can't shut off that "trying to make people laugh" thing. But actually even though there have been plenty of shock comedians over the years...they really haven't gotten into THIS degree of trouble. In the past it was more "Advocacy Group shames comedian that says "wee-wee"" like the Andrew Dice Clays and such.

That's kinda why I'm surprised all these celebrities are suddenly getting shishkabobbed. It isn't like this is really new.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:09 PM   #57
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
That's kinda why I'm surprised all these celebrities are suddenly getting shishkabobbed. It isn't like this is really new.

The same friend I mentioned in a post above also loves a version of this argument as some sort of broad dismissal of the importance of these things (which isn't necessarily what you're doing, and I don't mean as a criticism). I think the key is that absolutely none of what is happening is new, but celebrities and people in power being widely held responsible for their actions IS new, and something we should definitely celebrate and encourage to continue, rather than question and expect to fade.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 11-10-2017 at 04:11 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #58
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I think this is why there can be so much push back on the apologies.

It is not something new but yet when it happens we (Royal we) keeping acting like it is the first time we are hearing it.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #59
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I think it's a genius apology -- some Jonathan Swift caliber satire. He gets to mention his dick like 6 times in the first two paragraphs, talk about all of his current projects, and self-flagellate enough that he somehow manages to invalidate the notion of sexual harassment trauma before anyone else can make the argument. It's an apology so heartfelt that it silences his accusers, who can't grandstand on it without damaging their own credibility by appearing vindictive. Put in the larger (Weinstein) context, it steals the moral thrust of sexual harassment and weaponizes "feeling bad" in a way that minimizes the whole story. I mean, the narrative lumps him in with the Weinstein's of the world, but the contrast he creates by being so heartfelt and seemingly authentic paints him more in the category of excusable foibles and bandwagon victims who aren't really so victimized after all.

He's literally apologizing for showing his dick in such a way that you can't help but imagine Louis C.K.'s dick while you're reading it.

I mean, I'd expect a long con like that more from Sacha Baron Cohen, but I can appreciate solid craft when I see it.

Nailed it
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #60
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
The same friend I mentioned in a post above also loves a version of this argument as some sort of broad dismissal of the importance of these things (which isn't necessarily what you're doing, and I don't mean as a criticism). I think the key is that absolutely none of what is happening is new, but celebrities and people in power being widely held responsible for their actions IS new, and something we should definitely celebrate and encourage to continue, rather than question and expect to fade.

yeah I'm not dismissing it. Just a rather obvious observation.

And continued disgust that people like O Reilly and Trump keep getting a free ride in life.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:27 PM   #61
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

uh oh...
Now Tom Hanks...

https://bluerockpublicradio.com/anot...e-f4eec3485206

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 11-10-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #62
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Nailed it

Agreed.

He also never actually apologizes in there. I don't think either sorry or apologize appears in it.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #63
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
irresponsibly

remorseful

I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions

brought hardship to them

There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with.

I wish I had reacted

The hardest regret to live with is what you’ve done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them.

I deeply regret

I’ve brought anguish and hardship

I’ve brought pain

These are directly from his statement. Yeah "sorry" or "apologize" doesnt appear there, but to me these carry a little more weight.

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 11-11-2017 at 11:09 AM.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #64
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah I think he definitely apologizes by any reasonable understanding of that word. My main problems with his statement:

1) His defense of Dave Becky.

2) His explanation of why he thought it was okay. That doesn't need to be here.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:24 AM   #65
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Yeah I think he definitely apologizes by any reasonable understanding of that word. My main problems with his statement:

1) His defense of Dave Becky.

2) His explanation of why he thought it was okay. That doesn't need to be here.

His explanation was unpleasant to read, but I actually appreciated him sharing it. It doesn't make him look any better, but it helps me to understand how people get into situations like his, when to the rest of us his behavior just seems bonkers.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #66
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
His explanation was unpleasant to read, but I actually appreciated him sharing it. It doesn't make him look any better, but it helps me to understand how people get into situations like his, when to the rest of us his behavior just seems bonkers.

It's more that I think he should've shared the explanation at another time and not as a part of his apology statement.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #67
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

It almost seems like there is a someone somewhere digging up all these skeletons and pushing the victims to come forward.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #68
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
It almost seems like there is a someone somewhere digging up all these skeletons and pushing the victims to come forward.

I think it's that people are feeling more comfortable that they will be believed now.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #69
Autumn
Head Coach

Yes, I think for the first time, people are saying victims being believed, and so it is created a climate where it finally feels like if you come forward something will happen from it. When the Cosby allegations came out, despite having huge numbers of women just like now, the public dug its feet in and doubted the stories for a very long time. That encourages people to keep silent. Seeing Weinstein go down and then others right after I think makes people feel like for once they will be at least believed, and perhaps something will happen, even if they're still forced to go public with some very upsetting things, and most likely receive some terrible pushback. But that pushback feels like a minority right now.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #70
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I noticed yesterday that there was a Colbert Late Show on my DVR where Louis CK was the guest. I watched and they replaced him with William H Macy. He DID mention C being the original guest in his monologue when he mentioned all the sex scandals.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #71
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I think it's that people are feeling more comfortable that they will be believed now.

Or they won't be blackballed. I mean people have said stuff about celebrities in the past but it usually ends up with that celebrity not working.

It's worth noting that these guys tended to prey on women who were younger, just getting into the business, and on a lower level than they were. Is a 23-year old who wants to be an actress going to call out the most powerful guy in Hollywood?

Also take a look at some of the extremes these guys went through. Weinstein was hiring retired Mossad agents to fuck with the accusers.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #72
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Or they won't be blackballed. I mean people have said stuff about celebrities in the past but it usually ends up with that celebrity not working.
Yeah, the risk/reward didn't really make sense for victims in the past. You knew you were going to be slandered, have your past dug up, and probably get blackballed in your own industry. And in return, the harasser/abuser might end up getting a few days of bad press and have to issue an apology, and then it would be right back to normal for him. I'm not surprised people weren't eager to speak up.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #73
JPhillips
General Manager

Roy Moore On Pedophilia Accusers: ‘These Women Are Only Discrediting Me Now Because Shifting Sociocultural Norms Have Created An Environment In Which Assault Allegations Are Taken Seriously’
Old 11-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Whether they're telling the truth or not.
#JusSayin
Old 11-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #75
Atocep
Coordinator

I assumed he actually said that. That's the state of today's republican party.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:43 PM   #76
PilotMan
Head Coach

I know I totally thought that was legit.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #77
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
#JusSayin

You know, you're right, I never thought another person could lie, until the 3,000,000th time I read it suggested on the internet. Thank you for your service.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 11-13-2017 at 03:51 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:36 PM   #78
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
#JusSayin

I'm beginning to believe this Russian troll idea.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #79
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #80
superbama
H.S. Freshman Team

Making people uncomfortable was Ck's thing, always.
superbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:09 AM   #81
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbama View Post

What, like the backseat of a Volkswagen?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #82
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbama View Post

I never watched any of his standup but I loved him as the Dad in HOme Movies on adult swim

Old 11-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #83
molson
General Manager

This list of celebrities accused of sexual harassment is only 3 days old and it's already out of date (it doesn't include Franken and Mark Schwahn - producer on the Royals and creator of One Tree Hill).

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...weinstein.html

These guys should get together and start their own production company and produce their own movies. Maybe start with a Spacey/Louis CK buddy cop comedy.

Last edited by molson : 11-16-2017 at 12:28 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #84
bhlloy
Coordinator

Wacky hijinks when Louis accidentally drinks his own roofied martini and wakes up with Spacey naked on top of him? Just insert laugh track here.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #85
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Wacky hijinks when Louis accidentally drinks his own roofied martini and wakes up with Spacey naked on top of him? Just insert laugh track here.

Al Franken is offended that you didn't find some way to include him in this.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #86
bhlloy
Coordinator

Hey, I’m just working with the material Molson gave me. Maybe he can guest star and then become a main character in season 2
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #87
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Sounds like Stallone is up next.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #88
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Life after Weinstein...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...weinstein.html
Old 11-29-2017, 06:04 AM   #89
Ben E Lou

Matt Lauer fired.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:06 AM   #90
Ben E Lou

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-29-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:10 AM   #91
Edward64
Head Coach

I liked Matt in the morning show, sorry to hear. Must be serious if he was canned suddenly.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:45 AM   #92
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That was nuts. Not sure why they made Savannah do it...she was obviously emotional as hell.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:29 AM   #93
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

George Stephanopolous is the Mark Stoops of male morning TV show hosts.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:41 AM   #94
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sounds like Elmo is in trouble. Rumor is it's something to do with Big Bird.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #95
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Sounds like Elmo is in trouble.

That's...kind of old news.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #96
Kodos
Resident Alien

He apparently invited Big Bird to "Elmo's world," where he demanded to be tickled.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:16 AM   #97
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

No, really, the dude who voiced Elmo was accused of sex abuse a few years ago. I think he was ultimately cleared, though, from what I recall.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:16 AM   #98
Kodos
Resident Alien

Truth is stranger than fiction.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:48 AM   #99
Logan
Head Coach

Both the NY Times and Variety were said to be working on stories involving multiple women.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #100
Critch
lolzcat

I knew Matt Lauer was a bad sort when he did that whole hair plug thing. Anybody who thinks they're too good to be bald is suspect, in my opinion.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote