Old 09-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #251
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Virginia Tech with a Hall-Of-Fame worthy bed-shitting right there
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #252
bob
College Starter

Is the VT loss the worst of the past 20 years?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:31 PM   #253
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Probably not, ODU was only a 29(ish) point underdog. This might not even be the Hokies worst loss in that time frame

By comparision ...
Temple over VaTech 28-24, Oct '98 ... Temple was a 35.5 point dog
Hokies blow an early 17-0 lead

James Madison over VaTech, 21-16, Sept 2010 ... 33.5 point dog ...
Hokies blow a 16-7 3rd quarter lead
Old 09-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #254
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa/Wiscy in their usual slobber knocker.

You like line play, this is the game for you.

7-7 at half.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #255
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Probably not, ODU was only a 29(ish) point underdog. This might not even be the Hokies worst loss in that time frame

By comparision ...

Hokies are now the first FBS team to lose three games when favored by 28 points or more.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #256
jct32
Mascot

Fire Mike Stoops
jct32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:52 PM   #257
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina still can't play at home thanks to Hurricane Florence so they traveled to LA-Lafayette this week. The Chants picked up their first Sun Belt win of the season barely winning 30-28. Chants Stadium is in the middle of the floodzone, so no telling if they will be able to play there next week.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:47 PM   #258
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Iowa/Wiscy in their usual slobber knocker.

You like line play, this is the game for you.

7-7 at half.

What a second half shootout! 28-17 must be a record for points scored in the series?

I thought Iowa was going to take it. Nice bounce back for Bucky after last week's disappointment. Once again pretenders for National Championship, but I'm guessing a spot in the Big Ten championship is still on the menu.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #259
tarcone
Coordinator

Same ol Iowa. The more things cha nge the more we stay the same.

It sucks when your 1939 team was more exciting on offense than your 2018 team is.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:57 PM   #260
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I know the FSU win that built their rep looks more of a reflection on FSU, but Virginia Tech lost to Old Dominion by 14? The same Old Dominion that lost 52-10 to 1-2 Liberty?!?

Amazing job controlling time of possession by Army to almost beat Oklahoma too. Kyler Murray didn't even play poorly - 11/15 165 3 1, 7 rushes for 71 & a 4th TD.

If you're going to wear a spinner mouthpiece, you're going to need to back it up, and so far Benny Snell is. Georgia's still the clear SECe favorite, but their matchup is at UK (11/3), and UK's remaining game vs the West is @ A&M while UGa has to play @ LSU & vs Auburn.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:58 PM   #261
bob
College Starter

Quote:

By comparision ...

I guess I don’t know enough about those Temple or JM teams, but OD was 0-3 and had lost 52-10 to Liberty earlier this year.

Why was VT even playing at OD to begin with?

Last edited by bob : 09-22-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:15 PM   #262
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I guess I don’t know enough about those Temple or JM teams, but OD was 0-3 and had lost 52-10 to Liberty earlier this year.

Old Dominion is part of the state system, so maybe it was politically suggested, or they looked at it like you can do it as a 2 for 1 or home & home and the game at ODU lets more alumni in the Eastern part of the state go watch a game? ODU is in the Norfolk/Hampton Roads/Virginia Beach metroplex, while Blacksburg is 5 hours west in the mountains. Thinking about it more, that area ODU is in is also a very fertile recruiting ground.

(UMass basketball always plays a team near Boston, and I can remember the time we lost to Northeastern in Jose Juan Barea's coming out party.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-22-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:20 PM   #263
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Now that said, wouldn't surprise me to see him circle the wagons and upset Clemson this week. It could happen. Certainly. It still wont change the fact that Tech is woefully uncommitted to long term success.

Told you you didn’t need to worry about this.

Your only worry should be that Clemson slips up somewhere else. The ACC is so weak I don’t see a 1 loss champion making the playoff.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:45 PM   #264
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Told you you didn’t need to worry about this.

Your only worry should be that Clemson slips up somewhere else. The ACC is so weak I don’t see a 1 loss champion making the playoff.
Yeah it looks like NC State is the only opponent who could be ranked at the time (just need to beat UVa & BC), but I think their recent track record & preseason hype gives them a real buffer. Is a one loss SEC team other than Alabama or Georgia going to make it over them? The loser of ND-Stanford if they win out? Maybe Stanford if they beat ND & lose to Washington? Ohio State if they lose to a Michigan team that wins out & also makes the playoff?

IDK, I just don't see all 3 of the PAC-W, Big 12 & Big 10 champions being undefeated, and even if it's not fair SoS wise I think that committee would take a 1 loss Clemson over a 1 loss Washington or Oklahoma, let alone teams with worse historical cache.

ND being in the mix throws a fun monkey wrench, and there's always G5 teams like UCF

just kidding, no chance undefeated UCF gets in over 1 loss Clemson unless that loss happens in the ACC CG.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-22-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:51 PM   #265
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

USC, under Pete Carroll, was a 41 point favorite over Jim Harbaugh and the Stanford Cardinal. It was the biggest upset until Howard beat UNLV last year at 45 point underdogs.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:11 AM   #266
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The ACC is so weak I don’t see a 1 loss champion making the playoff.

Which is kinda my thinking too ... until I realize that the B12 and P10/12/14/64k may not be in much better shape themselves.

I mean, SOMEbody has to end up in the playoff, right?
Old 09-23-2018, 03:17 AM   #267
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

JMU 2010 was at that point only the second time an I-AA team had beaten a ranked D1 team (ala Appy State over Michigan). They finished 6-5 and in 8th place in the Colonial Athletic Association (though, to be fair, there were some injuries along the way I believe)

Temple 1998 was 0-6 at the time, finished 2-10, had lost to William & Mary the week before. Lost to three other ranked opponents during the year by a combined score of 117-21.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:31 PM   #268
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

MacroGuru, BYU14 - either of you guys coming up to Seattle for the game? Should be a good one...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #269
Butter
Coordinator

I know I'm late with this, but did anyone else get on the Army-Oklahoma Twitch stream to watch the final minutes? I was able to watch the OT that way. Apparently it got up to 32,000 streams right at the end there.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:02 AM   #270
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Kelly Bryant transferring from Clemson. What a stupid fucking rule. I swear the NCAA does everything it can to shit on itself
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #271
bob
College Starter

I probably agree with you, but which rule? That he has to sit out a year?
Old 09-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #272
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I probably agree with you, but which rule? That he has to sit out a year?

The fact that you can now play in 4 games, transfer because you were benched, and not lose a year of eligibility if you have a redshirt year available.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #273
bob
College Starter

Ah, I see. Can he play right away next season or does he have to sit out a year?
Old 09-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #274
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
He can play right away, since he has graduated.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:51 AM   #275
JPhillips
General Manager

We wouldn't have a problem with a guy doing this at any other job, why is college football different?
Old 09-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #276
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
We wouldn't have a problem with a guy doing this at any other job, why is college football different?

I disagree sir. As a manager, if I'm building a team at work on a highly constrained budget where a contract was signed for a year (football scholarship) and all of a sudden, I'm down X number of employees backing out of said contract, there are sure to be hard feelings since we are losing productivity.

Doing this in the offseason was fine, since I had at least a little time to reallocate those resources.

What's stopping half of FSU and Nebraska players from leaving because they suck shit?
Old 09-26-2018, 09:59 AM   #277
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Kelly Bryant transferring from Clemson. What a stupid fucking rule. I swear the NCAA does everything it can to shit on itself

I dont mind the rule.
And I never miss an opportunity to support my favorite coach.
The coaches certainly knew this was a possibility. They could have, and many would have, waited to make the move until after week 5. 1 Snap this Saturday ends the opportunity. But its class that makes them announce it ahead of the deadline.

Just like releasing a freshman without restriction, despite their being photographic evidence of your biggest rival having coaches on your campus in his dorm room recruiting him after he enrolled. (Im looking at you Josh Belk ) The attitude is simply, if you want to leave -fine. We will recruit better players to beat you wherever we go.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #278
Logan
Head Coach

I don't think there's many people I internet-hate more than a (thankfully declining) portion of college football "fans".
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #279
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
I disagree sir. As a manager, if I'm building a team at work on a highly constrained budget where a contract was signed for a year (football scholarship) and all of a sudden, I'm down X number of employees backing out of said contract, there are sure to be hard feelings since we are losing productivity.

Doing this in the offseason was fine, since I had at least a little time to reallocate those resources.

What's stopping half of FSU and Nebraska players from leaving because they suck shit?

But he's not breaking his contract. This escape is a part of the contract. He should have the same freedom of movement as everyone else.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #280
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Figured you'd work this into some gallant defense of Dabo and the CU staff.

I'm looking at a bigger picture here. This isnt some freshman buried on the 2-deep like you're alluding to as it not being a big deal. What's stopping the entire Clemson secondary from pulling this because they got their feelings hurt in the post-game film study after A&M? I'm all for making things easier on players during the offseason. But this has the potential to be catastrophic
Old 09-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #281
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
But he's not breaking his contract. This escape is a part of the contract. He should have the same freedom of movement as everyone else.

It is part of the contract. You play football for me, I will pay for your room, board, stipends, tuition and maybe even set you up with a bag man and some bitches if that's not enough.

The escape clause that you mention is the part of the contract that was recently introduced. Which is the part I am railing against.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #282
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Bring him in to UW to take over next year for Jake. National title caliber defense and a legit shot at playoffs. Would love a senior leader who has been there before. Plus can sell it as a real shot for revenge.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #283
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Not really.
Scholarships are 1 year contracts. Even if he leaves now the athletic department cant recoup the money they've paid admissions for his class load. They cant recoup his room and board. They cant recoup his books, clothing, meals, etc.

Now look. No one is crying for athletic departments that are making millions while players get a free education and some perks. I get that. All I am saying is it doesn't change the tone of the conversation a bit when you take everything offered under the contract and dont fulfill your term. If he left after the season then I have zero issue whatsoever with him leaving. To leave mid season, I still wish him well but it does have a lsightly different feel.

The final piece he was asked by the coaching staff to remain on the team. With the understanding that he would not be played unless an injury happened. To protect his RS. Not initially mind you. Initially the message was, you will rotate series just like TL has all year, he just goes out first this week. When he stated he intended to leave the option was put on the table, keep working. Stay engaged. We will protect your redshirt. He declined that. He left the team.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:33 AM   #284
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Figured you'd work this into some gallant defense of Dabo and the CU staff.

Not gallant defense. But I do think its a commendable way to handle your business.

Quote:
"Obviously saddened and disappointed that he’s chosen to leave the team.

"But I really have absolutely nothing bad that I can say about Kelly Bryant. He’s one of the best young people I’ve ever been around. And even though I don’t think this is a great decision I certainly respect it. … I love him. I care about him I wish him nothing but the best. ... I feel like Kelly would have continued to play a lot and helped us win."
Old 09-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #285
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

As a manager surely you understand that your employees have to do what’s in their best interest?

It’s not the 1980s anymore where someone is loyal to a company for 35 years then retires with a gold watch.

People are always going to look out for their best interests because they realize their employer will always look out for the companies best interests. That is exactly what’s happening here except CU is spot on that Dabo did right by KB. It’s akin to laying someone off with a severance package instead of just shitcanning them.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #286
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Bring him in to UW to take over next year for Jake. National title caliber defense and a legit shot at playoffs. Would love a senior leader who has been there before. Plus can sell it as a real shot for revenge.
He's not going to risk losing out to Jacob Eason. Chatter I've read is that he's eyeing Auburn and taking over for Stidham. I would expect Oregon would be a candidate as well.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #287
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

I do believe Dabo did the right thing in naming the fish the starter now instead of waiting a week. HOWEVER, also dont forget that he got what he wanted out of Bryant as well. Veteran QB, starting on the road in a hostile environment (or at least it used to be dammit). I'm not sure how comfortable he'd be throwing Lawrence in on snap 1 in Kyle Field. With a capable QB in Bryant, he was able to gradually bring the fish on and see if he was worth the hype.

Let's flip the scenario and move to Okie Lite. A WR, who is amongst their career leaders, decides he isnt getting the ball enough and bolts. Right after a tough loss to Texas Tech. I dont know enough about Okie State to see what kind of effect this will have on the Mullet Offense, but it surely revises things.

EDIT: Would Antonio Brown have taken a redshirt year and transferred from the Steelers after his hissy fit? What about Le'Veon situation?

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 09-26-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #288
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
As a manager surely you understand that your employees have to do what’s in their best interest?

It’s not the 1980s anymore where someone is loyal to a company for 35 years then retires with a gold watch.

People are always going to look out for their best interests because they realize their employer will always look out for the companies best interests. That is exactly what’s happening here except CU is spot on that Dabo did right by KB. It’s akin to laying someone off with a severance package instead of just shitcanning them.

Valid point. But now we are getting into the debate of employee/contractor. It can be argued easily that student athletes are contractors and not employees. And there are very specific languages in these contracts about going to rival contractors/businesses while you are under an existing agreement.

I dont blame the kids for exploiting this. But I think the rule is extremely short-sighted and missing the mark. If you wanted to fix something, let the athletes out of their schollies if a scandal/head coach changes without having to sit a year.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:20 PM   #289
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

CBS is keeping tally here

Tracking notable college football players taking advantage of new four-game redshirt rule - CBSSports.com

Didnt realize Auburn has lost 4 already
Old 09-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #290
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I have zero problem with Bryant doing what he's chosen to do, under the rules I think it's a perfectly rational call to make (and I seriously question Hurts' judgement for not doing likewise honestly)

The 4-game provision stuff however, that's just some seriously stupid shit. Bad idea from day one, that will only get worse as people figure out just how to best exploit it.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-26-2018 at 01:53 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #291
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I have no problem with Bryant leaving its within the rules.
I do have a small problem with him crying about being benched "a slap in the face" and saying "he earned the starting job by waiting his turn" in a newspaper interview.

But he's 22. He will grow up and mature, God knows I did.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #292
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Does the upcoming new rule no longer requiring permission to contact other schools and essentially creating a database of eligible transfers for coaches to pick from apply to all sports, or just some? I know it applies to softball, since that's the only sport I need to carefully follow.

It's funny seeing everyone up in arms about football players transferring whenever they want. I don't think any sport but football and basketball has the sit a year rule, so it's like free agency every spring in softball. Coaches could play games with the permission rule - which is going away now - and they can still restrict in-conference transfers, but it's like the wild west at the end of every season. FSU won the WCWS this past season based largely on the strength of a senior transfer pitcher they poached from FIU to replace a graduate from the previous year, and OU has brought in multiple stud transfers. They are following the FSU model this coming year, grabbing an FAU pitcher to help replace 2 senior pitchers who graduated.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #293
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Softball is still a partial scholarship sport, right?
Old 09-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #294
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
He's not going to risk losing out to Jacob Eason. Chatter I've read is that he's eyeing Auburn and taking over for Stidham. I would expect Oregon would be a candidate as well.

Auburn would be a very good landing point.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:48 PM   #295
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Well it's not a real job (the NCAA doesn't want it to be one) so comparing it to that world is disingenuous.

But using your example, you don't own employees. If they feel mistreated (rightly or wrongly), they are free to find employment elsewhere. And that "highly constrained budget" you speak of is the choice of the schools and NCAA. You can blame them for not providing more options toward retaining someone.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:51 PM   #296
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The 4-game provision stuff however, that's just some seriously stupid shit. Bad idea from day one, that will only get worse as people figure out just how to best exploit it.

It does seem a bit much.

From what I gather this is something the coaches wanted. It allowed them to get a look at Freshman and give them game experience without burning their redshirt. Also provide depth later in the season.

I still think in the end the schools benefit at least, if not more from the rule change than the students do.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #297
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It does seem a bit much.

From what I gather this is something the coaches wanted. It allowed them to get a look at Freshman and give them game experience without burning their redshirt. Also provide depth later in the season.

I still think in the end the schools benefit at least, if not more from the rule change than the students do.

It cuts both ways, but the foundation of it is a very good rule for all parties. The way redshirting worked in the past for guys coaches thought may be able to help the team was they'd get them in the first game or two a bit and see how it goes. The guys that just weren't ready to help would suddenly develop a knee or back issues and the coaching staff would apply for a redshirt waiver that was granted more often than not.

The intent of this rule was to be able to give those players a look early in the year and if they're not ready they redshirt. It also allows guys that have worked their asses off to be rewarded late in the year as injuries pile up or to just get some freshmen game experience heading into the next season.

Martell Pettaway is a great example of how this rule would have benefited a player, though. Pettaway was designated to redshirt as a freshman at WVU 2 years ago. After sitting the first 10 games of the year WVU had injuries to the other 3 scholarship running backs on the roster and Pettaway had no choice but to play against Iowa State (rushed for 181 yards in that game). He was only needed for 1 game but lost a year of eligibility because of injuries 10 games into the season. That penalizes a player for stepping up when needed. It's bullshit that he lost a year for that.

However, this opening the door up to playing 1/3rd of a season and transferring because you find yourself in the doghouse, lost your starting job, or you're only catching 4 passes per game rather than the 5 you caught the previous year needs to be tweaked.

Last edited by Atocep : 09-26-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #298
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah I'm not knocking the rule completely, just that 4 games seems like a lot. Like you said, it's a third of the season.

If it's about giving guys a look and rewarding players at the end of the year when injuries hit, wouldn't 2 games be more acceptable?

Regardless, it's an advantage for the big schools who have the depth all the way down the roster. So it's weird to see someone from Clemson crying about it.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:22 PM   #299
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yeah I'm not knocking the rule completely, just that 4 games seems like a lot. Like you said, it's a third of the season.

If it's about giving guys a look and rewarding players at the end of the year when injuries hit, wouldn't 2 games be more acceptable?

Regardless, it's an advantage for the big schools who have the depth all the way down the roster. So it's weird to see someone from Clemson crying about it.

Whoa, when have I cried about it?
I said I was ok with it. I just questioned why he did the whoa is me I wasn't given a fair shot interview.

He'll GT students were audibly chanting We want Bryant this past Saturday. He had a chance and lost. Wish him well.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:23 PM   #300
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Whoa, when have I cried about it?
I said I was ok with it. I just questioned why he did the whoa is me I wasn't given a fair shot interview.

He'll GT students were audibly chanting We want Bryant this past Saturday. He had a chance and lost. Wish him well.

Sorry I wasn't talking about you. Was talking about Homer.