Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2020, 10:48 AM   #51
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Congrats to the Stars! Now lets go Tampa Bay!!

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:56 PM   #52
miami_fan
Coordinator

So I guess Florida Man won the Cup?

At least that what I gather from the noise outside.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:44 PM   #53
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

BIG RIG gets 2nd cup in a row!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:31 AM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Good shit right here. Sharks use sign language to announce their 1st round pick, a 17 year old winger whose mother is deaf and uses ASL to communicate.

Just a thoughtful gesture afaic. Good on the Sharks.

Sharks announced their first round pick in ASL for Ozzy Wiesblatt's mother - Article - Bardown
Old 10-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Emrick retiring from hockey broadcasting after 47 years | NHL.com
Old 01-07-2021, 10:25 PM   #56
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

NHL sells naming rights to four new divisions

Seriously?

Quote:
The NHL has sold the naming rights to its four divisions for the first time in its history. The league announced Tuesday that its teams will play in the Scotia NHL North Division, Honda NHL West Division, Discover NHL Central Division and the MassMutual NHL East Division during the 2020-21 season, which runs 56 games and begins on Jan. 13.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:48 AM   #57
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

From what I have seen so far, the names/logos of these companies just show up on screen when the names of the divisions are listed. I don’t think they’re verbally referred to. If that’s the case, that’s fine with me. I feel the same way about ads on helmets. No big deal. They need to be creative in ways to generate revenue during the pandemic.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #58
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
They need to be creative in ways to generate revenue during the pandemic.

I don't have an issue with creativity in times of the pandemic. My concern is that once these revenue streams are created, there's no going back.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #59
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah it feels pretty easy to argue that "How about corporate sponsorship??" is the definition of NOT getting creative when it comes to fundraising in sports.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-09-2021 at 12:46 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:40 PM   #60
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The owners have been angling for this for years but were too uncertain of the blow-back to go through with it. This situation gives them the perfect cover to get the ads-on-uniforms foot in the door. These helmet logos will never go away now, and I fully expect something on the jerseys by the end of the decade.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:01 PM   #61
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
The owners have been angling for this for years but were too uncertain of the blow-back to go through with it. This situation gives them the perfect cover to get the ads-on-uniforms foot in the door. These helmet logos will never go away now, and I fully expect something on the jerseys by the end of the decade.

I feel like there is some basic truth/parable about modern capitalism and sports-as-big-business in here. Like eventually ALL modern sports are practically destined to have ads on the jerseys because as long as the bottom line is the primary/only motivating factor, a handful of rotating forces in the back of every single organization will be continually pushing for it, simply because it's a remarkably easy and entirely obvious source of revenue.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-09-2021 at 01:01 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #62
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

With Don Cherry long gone from Hockey Night in Canada and both Roenick and Mike Milbury no longer on NBC, will there be any loud mouth doofuses left?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-11-2021, 12:36 PM   #63
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I am confident the world will never run out of loud mouth doofuses, especially in positions of visibility and leadership

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-11-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:01 PM   #64
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
With Don Cherry long gone from Hockey Night in Canada and both Roenick and Mike Milbury no longer on NBC, will there be any loud mouth doofuses left?

Umm, I hear there is a guy who will unemployed in nine days that might fit the description. He has experience working with NBC as well.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-24-2021, 08:24 AM   #65
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

So, uh, how 'bout that Laine for Dubois trade?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 01-24-2021, 08:28 AM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, uh, how 'bout that Laine for Dubois trade?

My guess? It'll eventually be the undoing of Cheveldayoff.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:01 AM   #67
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
My guess? It'll eventually be the undoing of Cheveldayoff.

It's definitely got that potential. He clearly 'lost' the trade in the sense that we gave up the best player, sent out another NHL player while getting a 3rd round pick back, AND ate salary.

On the other hand, a center is more important to a team than a winger overall, and also we have other excellent scoring wingers to compensate somewhat for the loss of Laine. And Roslovic was dead to us, so really it's not much of a loss even if he is technically worth more than a 3rd.

After having some time to calm down I am far less upset about the trade itself than I am in the fact that it ever came to this with Laine. 5 years ago we drafted a weird dude from Finland that just wanted to score goals and play video games with his best buddy Ehlers. Somehow in attempting to mold him into a more complete franchise player the Jets screwed that up to the point of him wanting out. I don't know if it was fights with teammates, disagreements with the coach, or contract negotiations, or maybe all of it. But ultimately Chevy didn't do enough to smooth out whatever was bothering Laine, and that to me is a major failing.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:38 PM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The kid got to see FLA vs NAS in person tonight.

Despite the 2-1 loss for his Preds, it was the first fun thing he's gotten to do in Miami (okay, Ft. Lauderdale really but whatever) since arriving back in August.

Even the loss doesn't seem so bad after six months of desolation.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #69
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It's definitely got that potential. He clearly 'lost' the trade in the sense that we gave up the best player, sent out another NHL player while getting a 3rd round pick back, AND ate salary.

On the other hand, a center is more important to a team than a winger overall, and also we have other excellent scoring wingers to compensate somewhat for the loss of Laine. And Roslovic was dead to us, so really it's not much of a loss even if he is technically worth more than a 3rd.

After having some time to calm down I am far less upset about the trade itself than I am in the fact that it ever came to this with Laine. 5 years ago we drafted a weird dude from Finland that just wanted to score goals and play video games with his best buddy Ehlers. Somehow in attempting to mold him into a more complete franchise player the Jets screwed that up to the point of him wanting out. I don't know if it was fights with teammates, disagreements with the coach, or contract negotiations, or maybe all of it. But ultimately Chevy didn't do enough to smooth out whatever was bothering Laine, and that to me is a major failing.

I'm not convinced that Laine is, or turns out to be, the best player in the trade, with the caveat that I include the ability to play centre as part of the assessment.

Laine is certainly the better goal scorer and unquestionably has more star power. He sells tickets and jerseys and that also counts for something. But he is atrocious defensively and doesn't generate scoring chances. Sure, he could score 55-60 playing with a guy like Nathan McKinnon but absent that, I really think he's closer to a consistent 30-35 goal scorer. Which is great, if you bring something else to the table.

I'm assuming he wanted to be paid like the guy who scored 80 goals his first two seasons and not 58 goals the past two. This would have been a foolish mistake.

And ultimately, if the goal was to make the Jets a better team both this year and going forward, I think the trade accomplished this.

At 5-on-5, a top four over the next few years that involves some pairing of Connor-Scheifele and Dubois-Ehlers is far, far better than Connor-Scheifele and Ehlers-Laine.

None of this even includes the fact that Dubois has an extra year of team controlled salary.

Roslovic doesn't bother me at all. He was likely going to be lost to Seattle anyway (Jets can only protect Wheeler, Connor, Scheifele, Ehlers, Laine/Dubois, Lowry, Copp), so a 3rd rounder back is a good return if that's what it took to make the trade happen.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:04 AM   #70
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:00 PM   #71
bhlloy
Coordinator

Peel is probably my least favorite official in all sports. Nice to see he’s finally run himself out of the league although it’s about 5 or 6 years too late.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:57 AM   #72
Bobble
College Prospect

I've heard from refs that this isn't as damning as it might sound on the surface. If one team keeps pushing it, a ref might want to call a penalty early to make sure they know where the boundaries are before the game gets out of hand.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:56 AM   #73
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I've heard from refs that this isn't as damning as it might sound on the surface. If one team keeps pushing it, a ref might want to call a penalty early to make sure they know where the boundaries are before the game gets out of hand.

Yeah that was my first thought as well. I think it's a little frustrating that the league just canned him (which is kind of the easy road especially given he was set to retire next month anyways). I'd like to hear an explanation from him or the league on perhaps why he said what he said (did Nashville get out of hand in the last game he officiated and he wanted to set an early tone?), how the other ref responded, how common this sort of thing is (or supposedly isn't), why or when it is or isn't ok, etc. And I'd also like to hear thoughts from ex-refs on the situation.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:07 AM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd like to hear an explanation from him or the league on perhaps why he said what he said (did Nashville get out of hand in the last game he officiated and he wanted to set an early tone?)

The consensus seems to be that it was a makeup call for an earlier powerplay opportunity rather than a tone thing or a gotcha deal.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:22 PM   #75
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Which, we all know that happens all the time, too

SI

Old 03-25-2021, 06:02 PM   #76
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

It looks like it was in fact a makeup call for a first period penalty against the Wings during which the Predators scored. I haven't seen that penalty, so I'm not sure if that call was ticky-tacky or not.

And as everyone has pointed out, this happens all the time. Rather than addressing the actual issue, the NHL seems like they want to pretend it doesn't and has simply chosen to discipline Peel.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:37 PM   #77
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
And as everyone has pointed out, this happens all the time. Rather than addressing the actual issue, the NHL seems like they want to pretend it doesn't and has simply chosen to discipline Peel.

Pretty much.

They ain't mad cause it happened, they mad cause it got blatantly exposed.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:04 PM   #78
JPhillips
General Manager

They gave him his retirement three weeks early. They were embarrassed, but the official didn't really get punished.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:37 PM   #79
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

North Dakota and UMD are going to a fourth 20 minute OT in the Midwest Regional Final....
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:46 PM   #80
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
North Dakota and UMD are going to a fourth 20 minute OT in the Midwest Regional Final....

You gotta add that UND was down 2-0 with less than 2 min to play and got 2 empty net goals to tie it up. That's about where I joined the action.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:23 AM   #81
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

There will be a 5th OT. Longest game in tourney history. Likely will be at least the 3rd longest game ever, which is around 141 minutes. Record is 151 something.

Refs probably regret overturning UMD's winner in the first overtime.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:27 AM   #82
cuervo72
Head Coach

Seeing too many obnoxious Canadiens memes, must root against.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:45 AM   #83
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

It's too early to tell, but if this trend continues for the Vegas Golden Knights, I fear they're going to become the NHL's version of the 90's Buffalo Bills. Team owner Bill Foley fired former head coach Gerard Gallant (who had a 3-year winning percentage of .611) because he couldn't get them over the hump. I wonder if the same fate awaits current coach Peter DeBoer?
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:24 AM   #84
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

You've got to feel for the Golden Knights fans. It's been a long four years of existence since the NHL rolled out the red carpet for them.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #85
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
You've got to feel for the Golden Knights fans. It's been a long four years of existence since the NHL rolled out the red carpet for them.

Truth. My heart bleeds for their long suffering fans.

In other NHL news, the stuff coming out about the Blackhawks not reporting sexual misconduct to the police or the league allowing the offender to then get a job at a college and volunteer at a youth program (multiple times) is absolutely fucking disgusting, and I hope the league throws the book at them - but I imagine there's zero chance of that ever happening and it will get swept under the rug.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:11 PM   #86
miami_fan
Coordinator

Columbus Blue Jackets goalie Matiss Kivlenieks, 24, dies after being struck by fireworks

I’m not familiar with the different types of fireworks so all I have as a frame of reference are mortars used in combat and man… this sounds horrible.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:14 PM   #87
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, fuckkkkk... not that slipping and hitting your head on concrete is a good way to go, but at least you probably don't know too much about that. Actually getting hit in the chest with a firework mortar, christ.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:21 PM   #88
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Columbus Blue Jackets goalie Matiss Kivlenieks, 24, dies after being struck by fireworks

I’m not familiar with the different types of fireworks so all I have as a frame of reference are mortars used in combat and man… this sounds horrible.

Same principle, less destructive due to the difference in the shell.

Basically a mortar simply refers to the tube that a round is fired from.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #89
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Same principle, less destructive due to the difference in the shell.

Basically a mortar simply refers to the tube that a round is fired from.

Thanks. I did google "mortar fireworks". Unfortunately, Mr. Kivlenieks is not the only person to meet their demise as a result of these devices.

Last edited by miami_fan : 07-05-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:12 PM   #90
miami_fan
Coordinator

Different sport, maybe a different gender, same issues.

Chicago Blackhawks report out; president Stan Bowman resigns

Last edited by miami_fan : 10-28-2021 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:03 PM   #91
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I hope that more people receive consequences for their part in the cover-up, or lack of action if you prefer.

On a hockey note, Bowman gets way too much credit for championships that were essentially personnel decisions by Dale Tallon. Fans gloss over his mistakes because of the Cups, but look at how he has destroyed this team. Jeremy Colliton over Quenneville? Panarin for Saad? Signing a old Seabrook to a terrible long-term deal when even a casual fan could see his skills were gone? The list of terrible decisions is long.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:10 PM   #92
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quenneville does the decent thing and resigns and doesn’t make excuses in his statement, which doesn’t sound like much but is significantly above the bar for this particular incident. Toews and Keith could learn something from that among others.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:25 AM   #93
miami_fan
Coordinator

The feeling is not exclusive to Quenneville's statement but damn I hate that the bar is set so low for statements like this.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:06 AM   #94
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

McDavid doing things that are probably illegal in several states

NHL on Twitter: "CONNOR MCDAVID (@cmcdavid97) IS NOT A HUMAN BEING.… "
Old 11-06-2021, 12:12 PM   #95
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The puck handling, dear lord

SI

Old 07-06-2022, 03:19 PM   #96
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just ... damn
Rest in peace

Bryan Marchment death Winnipeg Jets Toronto Maple Leafs San Jose Sharks Edmonton Oilers - TSN.ca
Old 07-06-2022, 04:34 PM   #97
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Just awesome....

https://theathletic.com/3404266/2022...russia-flight/
Old 08-11-2022, 06:57 PM   #98
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Which franchise just announced a Law Enforcement Appreciation Night and Thin Blue Line shirt? Naturally, it's the Minnesota Wild, who play about 15 minutes away from the site of George Floyd's death.

NHL world reacts to Minnesota Wild's controversial promotion

SI

Old 04-30-2023, 09:13 PM   #99
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Apparently this is the latest NHL thread?

Well, I came here to say... Even the 2001 Mariners won a damn series.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 09:28 PM   #100
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Also, congrats, Maple Leafs!!

19 years is a long, long time to wait. Enjoy it, brother!