Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-23-2020, 06:05 AM   #651
Thomkal
Head Coach

Very sorry to hear this PM, Thanks for taken a chance on a "broken" dog and "fixing" her with all the love and attention she clearly needed. I see far from a "broken" dog in those pictures. RIP Dixie
Old 07-23-2020, 06:30 AM   #652
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

PM, sorry to hear about Dixie.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #653
Dreghorn2
n00b

Very sorry to hear about your dog.

They are incredible loving creatures and the effect they have on individuals and families is simply without measure.

Once again sorry for the loss.
Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #654
molson
General Manager

So sorry to hear about Dixie. She sure hit the jackpot with you guys. And she knew it. And that gave her great comfort and happiness. Sounds like it was a very compassionate act to let her go when you did, and when she let you know it was time.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #655
PilotMan
Head Coach

Thanks everyone. I am down today. Trying to keep myself distracted, but can't seem to get into anything either.

We are now a family without pets. I've honestly been waiting for this moment for a decade. I've been a loyal pet owner of dogs and cats for like 23 years. However, this transition on the heels of our cats surprising loss in May is plenty to handle.

My son was struggling this morning and saying how he hadn't realized just how much she filled his thoughts in a day All the little things he did with and for her. He was her primary caretaker. I replied to him that I'm struggling the same way with him going to college. It's not exactly the same, but it's similar enough, on the heels of everything else, that I'm struggling to deal with the change.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 07-23-2020 at 12:07 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:35 PM   #656
spleen1015
Coordinator

Sorry for your loss, PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #657
lungs
Pro Rookie

My turn for this... My dog, Trevor (Trailer Park Boys fans will understand his name) passed away today. He survived a lot in his day... deathly sick as a puppy, attacked by coyotes, and getting hit by a manure truck going full speed. All in all, he made it to a ripe old age. After we sold the farm, he still wandered over there to pay the new owners a visit (and check if there were any dead cows to chew on). Overall, it was a good run for a good dog.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #658
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Sorry to hear, lungs.

I have a slightly uplifting/funny story to share.

My aunt is a nut. She lives in California, so... But anyway, she is a huge dog lover and lost her older dog earlier this year. She was devastated, but she got a younger dog a few months ago. Well, that dog unexpectedly passed away a few weeks ago from an undiagnosed heart issue. I think that one was even worse because it was totally unexpected.

I guess because animals are in demand due to more people staying home thanks to Covid, dogs have been in high demand and there's basically a competitive application process to adopt them. She's been trying to get a new one and has had no luck. She finally got an "interview" for a dog and it came down to her and a family to adopt the dog. So when she interacted with the dog, it was all over her. Couldn't stay away from her. They ended up letting her adopt it. Turns out, she put a couple of pupperoni's in her bra and that's why the dog wouldn't leave her alone!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:17 PM   #659
Thomkal
Head Coach

LoL Ksyrup!

And very sorry to hear about Trevor lungs.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #660
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So sorry Lungs

KSyrup, that is an amazing story.

We adopted a dog in May. They told us they got over 200 applications for him. My buddy is convinced they look at google maps when deciding. We have a big yard, on a cul de sac, fenced in yard, and quiet neighborhood.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:06 PM   #661
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Sorry to hear about Trevor.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #662
spleen1015
Coordinator

Sorry for your loss, lungs. RIP Trevor.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #663
tarcone
Coordinator

Sorry to hear, Lungs. RIP Trevor

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:29 PM   #664
BYU 14
Coordinator

so sorry for your loss my friend, R.I.P Trevor <3
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:46 PM   #665
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Sorry for you loss lungs Sounds like he had quite the life, cherish the memories.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:23 PM   #666
PilotMan
Head Coach

Sorry lungs. The chewing on dead cows part made me chuckle. I'm sure there's a story or two there. I don't remember our farm dogs doing that, but I don't know if my Grandpa or Uncle would have told me about it anyway, but it made me smile. Tough to lose such a good dog.

Like Steam?

Old 10-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #667
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Sorry lungs. The chewing on dead cows part made me chuckle. I'm sure there's a story or two there. I don't remember our farm dogs doing that, but I don't know if my Grandpa or Uncle would have told me about it anyway, but it made me smile. Tough to lose such a good dog.

Thanks all.

I think I posted something in the dog food thread about never having to buy dog food until we sold the farm. Whenever a cow would die, we would stage it for pickup by a company. Any dog we ever had would claim ownership of the carcass and start working on it, so to speak. The guy who would pick up the carcass always had a dangerous job as some farm dogs didn’t take too kindly to having their seemingly endless supply of meat hauled away. So that guy would always carry dog treats with him (the company turned carcasses into dog treats) and distract the dog while he loaded up the dead cow.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #668
Ksyrup

Sorry to have to bump this thread, but we're finally going to put Callie down tomorrow. She was diagnosed with bone cancer in March of 2019 so she made it 21 months with bone cancer that spread to behind her left eye, then a tumor on her spleen, and finally her kidneys are starting to give out and she has barely been eating since Thanksgiving, so it's time.

Gentlest, sweetest dog I've ever been around. So quiet and docile that she wouldn't even lick you if you had PB smeared on your face. When she was younger, she would "act up" once or twice a month by galloping around for a few seconds, and that was it. All she wanted was to be petted and fed and to roll around in the grass in the summer. She'll be missed. The girls are pretty torn up, especially since this has been inevitable for so long and we expected it so long ago. It seems like we've gone through the "goodbye" phase 5 or 6 times.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #669
Edward64
Head Coach

Sorry to hear about Callie.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #670
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

So sorry to hear about Callie, sounds like she had a great life with you and your family.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:39 PM   #671
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Sorry for your loss.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #672
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sorry KSyrup and family
Old 11-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #673
molson
General Manager

So sorry for your loss. 21 months is really a testament to the care you gave her and how much she enjoyed her life.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #674
BYU 14
Coordinator

So sorry my friend, hugs to Callie and your family.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:46 PM   #675
tarcone
Coordinator

So sad. Tears me up. Sorry for your loss.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:54 PM   #676
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sorry my friend
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:08 PM   #677
Ksyrup

Thanks guys. Definitely the right thing to do but having it scheduled for tomorrow, it has been strange knowing this is her last night.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:36 PM   #678
rjolley
College Starter

Sorry to hear that, Ksyrup.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:14 AM   #679
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Sorry for you loss Ksyrup
Old 12-01-2020, 10:21 AM   #680
lungs
Pro Rookie

Sorry to hear.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #681
PilotMan
Head Coach

I know that today will be hard for you and your family Ksyrup. You all are in my thoughts.

Like Steam?

Old 12-23-2020, 10:13 PM   #682
molson
General Manager

We lost our sweet Lucy almost 2 weeks ago. I remember announcing his arrival here in the new dog thread almost 10 years ago now.

He was diagnosed with terminal cancer about 3 months before he died. The vet gave him 1-2 months, but we got him a little further, maybe thanks to a great diet. He got salmon and a homemade veggie concoction at every meal. And we had a great time the last 3 months - 3 weekends away at rural cabins, a 10th birthday party, walks in all his favorite parks.

When I met him I was still relatively new to Boise, and didn't have a lot of friends yet. It was me and him for a while. We walked everywhere - I did the math, we probably had about 6,500 walks all over Boise, the Idaho state parks, and the Boise foothills. No matter what was going on my life, those walks kept me grounded, happy, healthy - it was always something to look forward to every day.

He only slowed down the last week or so and stopped eating a day or two before the end. The tumor was growing and I knew I wasn't going to let him needlessly suffer. I was very worried about COVID protocols with euthanasia and not being able to be there with him, but, we managed to set something up outside on a relatively warm day, with some propane heaters so it was very comfortable.

It's been a rough year for a million reasons of course, but especially with this kind of thing around here. We lost our senior foster Loba a few months back. We had nursed her back to health and adoptability, but then her seizures came back and she lost the use of her front legs. We have another senior hospice foster in the house (that just means she's not going anywhere), and I'm hoping she makes it at least a few more months.

This has all happened during a pretty extraordinary time at work where my boss has been in the hospital with COVID and I've been thrown into some heavy stuff with very little notice or pre-existing knowledge about how to deal with it. In has been very difficult to balance it all. I feel like I am holding it together, and that almost surprises me kind of, like I'm waiting to break. It all certainly has a way of focusing you on what matters. Hoping to relax some this week!

Last edited by molson : 12-24-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:32 PM   #683
PilotMan
Head Coach

That was a special tribute molson. Sorry that you had to lose your best buddy. RIP Lucy. He was a good dog.

Like Steam?

Old 12-23-2020, 10:56 PM   #684
BYU 14
Coordinator

Agreed beautiful tribute and the bond you had is apparent. Wishing you peace my friend, Lucy sounds like an amazing companion.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:24 AM   #685
Edward64
Head Coach

Sorry to hear. Always a heartbreak to lose a friend.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:03 AM   #686
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Sorry Molson.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:11 AM   #687
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sounds like Lucy was a great friend to you in the "wilds" of Idaho, and I hope those great memories of him will bring you comfort Molson.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #688
tarcone
Coordinator

So sorry to hear. I remember moving to a new area by myself and how important a pet was.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #689
Dreghorn2
n00b

Very sorry for the loss of your friend Lucy.

They are extraordinary creatures.

That was a nice tribute.
Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #690
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

So sorry for your loss
Old 12-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #691
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #692
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

So sorry for your loss Molson. Cherish the memories and take comfort in the life and times you two shared.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:38 AM   #693
lovelyjohn
n00b

Sorry to hear!

Old 02-16-2021, 05:41 AM   #694
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconut00 View Post
It's very sad when pets die. Even when they are sick, you still worry about them like your own child.
I have a dog and I love him very much. His name is Boner, his breed is Cane Corso. He has been living with me for 6 years and he is a very active boy. However, lately I have been very worried about him, because he was ill. He had problems with his front foot, he needed surgery. I was very worried about his health. He had an operation, now everything is fine, and I am happy that he is fine.

That’s tough, but I’m glad to hear it all worked out and your Boner is fine.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:33 AM   #695
molson
General Manager

I've googled coconut00, he has talked about his dog boner in other contexts, but here recognized that this was a thread about dogs who have passed away. Impressive. He's gaining intelligence rapidly and it's clear now that there is now stopping him. Coconut00, I wand to get in on the ground floor of your murderous bot regime when it takes power - can be in charge of the treasury or something?

Last edited by molson : 02-16-2021 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:03 PM   #696
AnalBumCover
College Starter

We had to make the extremely tough decision to put down our beloved Peanut today. It all happened so fast, labored breathing this morning, Vet visit in the afternoon, X-ray and bloodwork discovered an enlarged heart and tumors in her lung and diaphragm. Emergency hospitalization would only delay the inevitable. So with a three way phone call with the Vet and my wife, who was still at work, we decided on euthanasia.

Peanut was our beloved dog for the last 13 years. A ShihTzu/Terrier mix with the cutest underbite. We received her from a coworker when she was just a few months old. Hated other dogs - until she got to know them. She loved people - except the UPS guy. She welcomed our newborn daughter without a fuss. We taught her all her tricks: Sit, Down, Shake, Roll Over, Speak. She knew the difference between a vet visit and a road trip. We took her to my daughter's school one day, and she loved the attention the classmates gave her. She just discovered the Starbucks Puppuccino.

Though everything happened lightning fast today, I'm glad that my wife was able to rush home so she, my daughter and I could have a chance to say goodbye. It's a very emotional time for us right now. But we did find closure, in such a sudden event.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:05 PM   #697
BYU 14
Coordinator

Man, that is rough ABC, so sorry for your loos. All the best to you and your family. R.I.P Peanut.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:19 PM   #698
tarcone
Coordinator

So sorry, ABC. Such heartbreak.

I

Old 05-05-2021, 09:23 PM   #699
JPhillips
General Manager

Sorry to hear. Pets are great, but the ending is a bitch.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:15 PM   #700
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What a cute dog ABC, so sorry for your loss.