Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #51
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

YMMV, of course, but we have UVerse for this year at least. We only have one DVR in the living room and I can watch stuff recorded there in the living room or the bedroom tv.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #52
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
NCAA Sports are the other big stumbling point: Kansas football (hah!) and basketball. I can watch a good 75% of those games on ESPN3 in some fashion (or ESPN2/ESPN). ESPN has some odd rules about blackouts: like if something is on ESPN, you can't get it on ESPN3: I haven't quite deciphered those yet. But this is a huge consideration for me: can I get ESPN3, especially KU games, in any way without subscribing to ESPN on cable?

Here is the problem with depending on ESPN3 - it requires a subscription to ESPN. If you try to access it from somewhere new, it will ask you your provider/user information. Cutting the cord pretty much cuts off from (legal) ESPN3 content as well.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #53
QuikSand
lolzcat

We're preparing to dump FiOS this week, and go net only. Annoying that Verizon is basically all-in with their multi-part packages (presumably to discourage this) and don't want to offer a reasonably priced net-only option...so it looks like Comcast (ugh).

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-27-2014 at 07:45 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #54
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Just did the same thing here with Time Warner, who basically refused to do me an internet-only package (it would have cost almost as much as the TV/phone/internet package I did have), so I went with a DSL ISP (literally the only other ISP for my location, ugh...).

So far, so good. Streaming with a Roku has been great, and I might get an actual HDTV antenna to pick up local broadcasts.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #55
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Just cut the chord yesterday.. We'll see how this goes, but in theory we should be just fine. It was actually cheaper per month to get Internet and Phone rather than just Internet. So I guess I will have a home phone that I wont know the number of.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #56
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
We're preparing to dump FiOS this week, and go net only. Annoying that Verizon is basically all-in with their multi-part packages (presumably to discourage this) and don't want to offer a reasonably priced net-only option...so it looks like Comcast (ugh).

I'm faced with the same great choices at my new home in FL. Verizon slow-as-shit internet or Comcastic. That's a shit sandwich of choices.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #57
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I'm faced with the same great choices at my new home in FL. Verizon slow-as-shit internet or Comcastic. That's a shit sandwich of choices.

What's actually considered a good choice for TV and/or internet then?

Most people who have Time Warner hate it.

Is Charter cable all that great? Is AT&T's Uverse the bomb?

Is there some cable/cable type company that even, say, 50% of the people who have experience like?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #58
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, to be fair, most people that I know have had nothing but good things to say about the performance of Comcast internet. Its just their customer service that's sucky and TV performance apparently.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #59
Easy Mac

Charter everything is pretty crappy. I had their TV for 2-3 years before switching because they kept upping the prices and not offering discounts. Even though I have them only for internet now (no other providers, not even DSL), I still get about 2-3 flyers a week asking me to rejoin.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #60
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well, to be fair, most people that I know have had nothing but good things to say about the performance of Comcast internet. Its just their customer service that's sucky and TV performance apparently.

I've had Comcast for over 8 years now. Over that time I've had a few minor issues here and there, but the customer service has almost always been pretty helpful and both times I've had people out to install something, they've been great.

I have had to go to the Comcast "place" twice. That was an exercise in misery - like going to the DMV - but twice out of two years isn't so bad I knew what the expect going in.

Maybe I've just been lucky so far.

There's a chance that - if the Comcast/Time Warner deal goes through - Comcast will pretty much exit Michigan more or less and give everything to Charter, I believe. Not looking forward to that.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #61
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I haven't had to deal with Comcast customer service too much, but sometimes I'd have billing issues. Such as them charging me for renting a modem when I had bought mine from the beginning. Which was 'taken care of', but it really wasn't.

Internet performance has been mostly rock solid, though.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #62
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I'm cutting the cord tonight. Actually on hold with TWC service as I type.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #63
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cable works a lot better if you buy a TiVo and throw their POS DVR in the trash. Bundling wise I might just go back to cable this fall when my 2 years on DTv is up. It gets so much more expensive over time. Cable wants to make too good of a deal to turn down.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #64
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I do need to see if antenna has gotten better in my area. I was in the "sha right" range for Pittsburgh locals previously. Youngstown locals have gotta be the worst in the nation. Murder per capita and corruption and the Browns.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #65
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I loved the Verizon FIOS in Richmond. It was really fast.

SI

Old 05-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #66
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Time Warner Road Runner is pretty good, the techs are decent (typically better than the TV techs).

I definitely have internet-only with them, and would be more expensive to add phone or TV to my package (something like +$30 for phone -$10 for both or something). I have the 30 down / 5 up package, and pay $78/month for it (as opposed to $150+ when I had TV and phone as well). I pay $10/month for Verizon's home phone cell station, $8/month Netflix, $79/year Amazon Prime, and have a TV antenna over the garage for local TV.

My son is very disappointed that most of the NBA playoffs have been on ESPN so he hasn't been able to watch Lebron James very much...
Old 05-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #67
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
What's actually considered a good choice for TV and/or internet then?

Most people who have Time Warner hate it.

Is Charter cable all that great? Is AT&T's Uverse the bomb?

Is there some cable/cable type company that even, say, 50% of the people who have experience like?

When I lived in Chicago I had WOW (formerly Wide Open West): http://www.wowway.com/home-map

I can't recommend them highly enough. Performance was very good, prices were reasonable, but customer service (including techs) was unbelievably good.

Two examples:

When you have techs come out to install cablecards in a Tivo from other companies, they will invariably either a) have no idea what they're doing or b) give you a lecture about how cablecards and/or the Tivo are the worst things possible. WOW techs, on the other hand, generally knew what they were doing with the cable cards & Tivo, or, if not, were excited about figuring out how to do it. I.e. actual techs as opposed to cable "plumbers".

When you have to call tech support you get someone who is personable, knowledgeable, and tends to be a very good troubleshooter. There's also no sense at all of a rush to get you off the phone within a particular time period.

I can't recommend them enough. If they ever come to Maine I will switch back immediately.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #68
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
When I lived in Chicago I had WOW (formerly Wide Open West): http://www.wowway.com/home-map

I can't recommend them highly enough. Performance was very good, prices were reasonable, but customer service (including techs) was unbelievably good.

Two examples:

When you have techs come out to install cablecards in a Tivo from other companies, they will invariably either a) have no idea what they're doing or b) give you a lecture about how cablecards and/or the Tivo are the worst things possible. WOW techs, on the other hand, generally knew what they were doing with the cable cards & Tivo, or, if not, were excited about figuring out how to do it. I.e. actual techs as opposed to cable "plumbers".

When you have to call tech support you get someone who is personable, knowledgeable, and tends to be a very good troubleshooter. There's also no sense at all of a rush to get you off the phone within a particular time period.

I can't recommend them enough. If they ever come to Maine I will switch back immediately.

We have WOW here in Detroit. It's pretty much the only cable alternative to Comcast (though UVerse is available too). The few people I know who had switched from Comcast to WOW, promptly switched back to Comcast after a few weeks.

I have looked into to switching - for money reasons - but WOW just didn't have the channel line-up I liked it.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:06 AM   #69
molson
General Manager

Does espn3 still require a subscription to espn? Or can you also get it through these ISPs?

ESPN3.com FAQ

I'm thinking over the air networks + espn3 would deliver plenty of college sports.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #70
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Does espn3 still require a subscription to espn? Or can you also get it through these ISPs?

ESPN3.com FAQ

I'm thinking over the air networks + espn3 would deliver plenty of college sports.

There are only some pretty rare circumstances where you would get an ISP with access to ESPN3 without having a cable subscription that includes ESPN. ESPN is fairly smart about this: they aren't giving you free access to sports- it's just an add-on to ESPN. For a short while I had internet but no cable through Verizon. Whenever I would log into ESPN3 (as it always requires to login through your cable provider), I would be blocked from getting ESPN3 content.

I put in my zip code here:
Channel Finder - ESPN3
I'm in Houston and about 15 come up. There's AT&T and Comcast, the phone and cable dominant telecoms which I hate deciding between. There's a couple of smaller ISPs that deliver internet service, probably over AT&T's phone lines, and you can bundle that up with DirectTV or DISH. And there are a bunch that look like bundling ISPs where their zip code algorithm is mediocre and they offer bundle packages but not in the Houston area.

I'm sure there are some providers and loopholes you can take advantage of but I suspect they few and far between. It's the whole pile of crap about how we allow telecom monopolies for municipalities in this country and how they try to block competition at every turn. It's easy to ratchet up costs and deliver worse service when there are no viable alternatives.

SI

Old 06-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #71
Joe
Pro Starter

Well ESPN finally cut my access to ESPN3, after not having a subscription to Comcast/ESPN for about 3 years. I guess they do eventually audit espn3.com accounts.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #72
korme
Go Reds

Worth the 13 minutes.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #73
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh, so btw.. in no surprise, the Supreme Court ruled that Aereo was akin to a cable provider and so has to be retransmission fees. Basically, Aereo will either get a lot more expensive, or will die.

Btw, it was 6-3 decision, written by Breyer (Scalia, Thomas, and Alito dissenting).
Old 06-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #74
corbes
College Benchwarmer

FWIW, the three dissenting justices also thought Aereo was an impermissible infringement on the network copyrights, but for a different reason.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #75
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh, so btw.. in no surprise, the Supreme Court ruled that Aereo was akin to a cable provider and so has to be retransmission fees. Basically, Aereo will either get a lot more expensive, or will die.

Btw, it was 6-3 decision, written by Breyer (Scalia, Thomas, and Alito dissenting).

No surprise.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #76
bob
College Starter

So, while they lost the case, Aereo is still working. I plan on watching Brazil - Chile using it. Wonder when they have to shut down?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #77
bob
College Starter

Well crap - looks like its shutting down at 11:30 AM EST today.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #78
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, I'm in the market for a better streaming device than my Wii. Lean now is the Roku 3. But I secretly long for one box that would combine the streaming and device-based stuff that Roku seems to do really well, along with a HDTV antenna.

I don't see anything on the market like this. Doesn't that just feel like the next generation that has to land for people like us (cable cutters)? I'm not in any urgent situation, so if there's a sense that a Roku 4 with HDTV bunny ears is right around the corner, I'll save my $95 and wait it out.

Any tips?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #79
Easy Mac

If you also feel the need for a new TV, you could just get a smart tv, as those do OTA feeds. Otherwise, the closest I see is this, but although it has an option, it doesn't appear to work with antennas.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #80
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't see a Roku with an antenna coming any time soon (if at all). Roku is a very simple thing - it's a streaming box. It is designed as a one stop solution to move all your streaming needs to a TV - Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Prime, Watch ESPN, MLB.TV, MLS Live, etc, etc.

I don't think they'd gain anything from bundling it with an antenna. Those are cheap enough as it is.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #81
stevew
Hall Of Famer

TiVo Roamio does all that but its like 6 times as expensive as a Roku. Well Netflix, Hulu(not sure about others)

Last edited by stevew : 08-08-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #82
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Roamio is a fantastic thing though. Tivo made my decision to cut the cord so much easier (being able to record TV is a necessary thing for me).

It does Netflix and Hulu. Not Amazon Prime though.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #83
Pyser
Pro Rookie

wow, just saw what my jailbroken apple tv2 can be sold for on ebay. well, that's going up on the site this weekend.

in the meantime i use my xbox, and will wait to see what (if anything) apple comes out with in september. only thing i kinda miss through xbox is showtime, but not really enough to buy a new streaming system anyway

edit: i guess showtime is on xbox now too. that solves that.

Last edited by Pyser : 08-08-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #84
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
wow, just saw what my jailbroken apple tv2 can be sold for on ebay. well, that's going up on the site this weekend.

in the meantime i use my xbox, and will wait to see what (if anything) apple comes out with in september. only thing i kinda miss through xbox is showtime, but not really enough to buy a new streaming system anyway

edit: i guess showtime is on xbox now too. that solves that.

Oh wow... I didn't realize they were selling for nearly 3 times what I bought mine for. I knew I should have bought more back then...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #85
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Most current TVs (and since the digital conversion) have built-in tuners, so Roku doesn't need one. You can buy a separate tuner box for like $40 if your TV is a really old one.

Rabbit ears won't work for me, so I've got one on the roof running lines into my two TVs. Wish me luck - since I got my roof redone and the little cupola thing removed that the antenna was on, the antenna is about 18" lower than it was, and I'm getting hiccups on one channel. Going on the roof soon to add an extension pole, if you don't hear from me you'll know it went horribly wrong...
Old 01-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #86
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ridiculously exciting news for Cord Cutters:

Dish goes after cord-cutters with Sling TV, a $20 per month service

Quote:
According to a Bloomberg report earlier this year, Dish was said to be preparing to launch an online television service last summer. But, as we now know, nothing ever came from that -- at least not until today. The satellite company has taken to CES 2015 to reveal Sling TV, its long-rumored internet TV service, and it wants all current and would-be cord-cutters to know that this is designed specifically for them. Dish says that Sling TV has been years in the making, pointing out that it was born out of learning from Dish Anywhere and DishWorld, a US-only, internet-based TV package that offers access to about 200 international channels.

"We started with technology on the Dish Anywhere service and building a platform for connected devices," Roger Lynch, who's been appointed by Dish as Sling TV's CEO, said. "Two years ago we decided we wanted to establish an entire separate service." What came from that first was DishWorld and, now, Sling TV, with the former expected to be integrated into the latter under the moniker Sling International. Similar to DishWorld, Sling TV will only be available in the US, where it's expected to launch "within the The good news is that Sling TV has managed to secure a myriad of big-name channels as part of its over-the-top service, including ESPN, ESPN2, CNN, TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Travel Channel, Food Network, ABC Family, HGTV, Disney Channel and Maker -- all of which are going to be part of the basic, $20-per-month package.

Furthermore, Lynch added that at some point in the near future, there will be add-on, content-specific packages, featuring networks like Disney Junior, Disney XD, HLD, DIY, Cooking Channel and Bloomberg -- Sling International channels too, but those are going to be narrowed down by the country they are from. Better yet, you'll be able to enjoy Sling TV on a ton of different devices from day one, including, iOS, Android, Amazon's Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, Nexus Player, Xbox One, Rokus, LG and Samsung Smart TVs, as well as on the web on Mac and PC.

This should be great when it actually comes out! $20 a month with no contracts makes it actually a great deal, even if its just for ESPN and ESPN2! Of course stream quality and the such is important, but this could be a game changer.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #87
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Interesting.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #88
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

That is interesting.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #89
Logan
Head Coach

The article I read on The Verge indicated there may be some limitations with ESPN that we'd hear more about down the road, but either way it's a step in the right direction.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #90
Butter
Coordinator

What the hell is "Maker"?
Old 01-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #91
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The article I read on The Verge indicated there may be some limitations with ESPN that we'd hear more about down the road, but either way it's a step in the right direction.

Probably no HD nor NFL broadcasts.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #92
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It'll have to allow HD. Every other streaming service does (Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo, etc, etc). If they don't allow HD, it'll fail on launch.

I bet the limitations are no DVR capabilities.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-05-2015 at 02:36 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #93
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and the sentence from The Verge article is this:

Quote:
But Dish has hinted that there may be limits on watching ESPN on mobile thanks to red tape from existing deals between the network and Verizon.
This is Dish's Sling TV: an internet TV service that lets you stream ESPN for $20 | The Verge

So probably some limits on Android and iOS, but not on Roku, etc.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #94
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
What the hell is "Maker"?

Had to look it up. YouTube content creator that owns or produces many of the popular shows.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #95
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
It'll have to allow HD. Every other streaming service does (Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo, etc, etc). If they don't allow HD, it'll fail on launch.

I bet the limitations are no DVR capabilities.

I was talking strictly ESPN, but you may be right on the HD. With the Time Warner app live NFL broadcasts are blacked out.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #96
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Probably no HD nor NFL broadcasts.

I doubt either the NBA or the NHL would allow DISH to use its programming for a mobile service too, when they sell their own online product.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #97
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seems like a great way to accelerate the spread of data caps for everyone.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #98
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Pretty much.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:11 PM   #99
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

To be followed shortly by consumer lawsuit alleging anti-competitive practices.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #100
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I doubt any such consumer lawsuit would succeed. After all, why shouldn't someone pay for the bandwidth they use (the data caps aren't going to be shut outs, I bet - just a pay as you go above something like 300 GB a month)?