Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #301
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
OK so after the Atlanta onsides kick debacle, GB does the exact same thing and gets bailed out because the ball didn't go 10 yards. They sat there watching it, and if it had gotten 10 yards, there was a Saint in perfect position to fall on it.

I think they get a pass because the ball wasn't close to getting to 10 yards. Waiting to be sure it is going to go 10 yards isn't a bad thing, you just need to fall on it BEFORE it gets to 10 yards to take away the kicking team's opportunity.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:14 AM   #302
molson
General Manager

If the receiving team gets to an onside kick before the 10 yards but muffs it, it's still a dead ball/penalty, correct?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:18 AM   #303
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If the receiving team gets to an onside kick before the 10 yards but muffs it, it's still a dead ball/penalty, correct?

No, once the receiving team touches it, it becomes a live ball and the kicking team can try to recover at that point with no penalty. This is why the Falcons were watching it. They didn't want to muff it and make it live. Of course, they just had to block the Cowboys player and it wouldn't have been a problem.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:36 AM   #304
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Once the saints fall out of it for sure, they have to bench Brees. They won't, but they should
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:04 PM   #305
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I think they get a pass because the ball wasn't close to getting to 10 yards. Waiting to be sure it is going to go 10 yards isn't a bad thing, you just need to fall on it BEFORE it gets to 10 yards to take away the kicking team's opportunity.

Yeah, but there were a ton of comments all over social media after Atlanta's screw-up about not jumping on the ball before it got to 10 yards. And that ball didn't even look like it was going to go 5 yards but it somehow kept going. If the ball last night doesn't get up on its point, it very well could have continued to slowly wobble for another 3 yards.

The other interesting thing about that Saints kick is that the player in position to recover had it gone 10 yards was pushed out of bounds in the back by a Packer. Shouldn't that have been offsetting penalties? I don't know how penalties work on kicks like that, but theoretically, that block in the the back is no different than a block in the back on a kick off or punt that goes out of bounds, out of the end zone, or is fair caught. The penalty is assessed. So here, wouldn't you have a penalty against each team?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #306
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
No, once the receiving team touches it, it becomes a live ball and the kicking team can try to recover at that point with no penalty. This is why the Falcons were watching it. They didn't want to muff it and make it live. Of course, they just had to block the Cowboys player and it wouldn't have been a problem.

OK, that makes a lot of sense that they would be wary of Leon Letting the ball.

(the lack of blocking makes less sense).

Last edited by molson : 09-28-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:10 PM   #307
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, but there were a ton of comments all over social media after Atlanta's screw-up about not jumping on the ball before it got to 10 yards. And that ball didn't even look like it was going to go 5 yards but it somehow kept going. If the ball last night doesn't get up on its point, it very well could have continued to slowly wobble for another 3 yards.

The other interesting thing about that Saints kick is that the player in position to recover had it gone 10 yards was pushed out of bounds in the back by a Packer. Shouldn't that have been offsetting penalties? I don't know how penalties work on kicks like that, but theoretically, that block in the the back is no different than a block in the back on a kick off or punt that goes out of bounds, out of the end zone, or is fair caught. The penalty is assessed. So here, wouldn't you have a penalty against each team?

Right, the Atlanta criticism is well-deserved even though that ball was going slow as molasses. I don't care how slow it's going, once it gets to 9 yards - maybe even 8 - you gotta fall on that thing.

Would love to hear an explanation of the guy out of bounds thing. I thought once you went out of bounds you couldn't be the first person to touch the ball?
Old 09-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #308
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Once the saints fall out of it for sure, they have to bench Brees. They won't, but they should

If you look at his numbers, they aren't actually that bad.

But if you watch the games, it's obvious. Father Time remains undefeated.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:29 PM   #309
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Would love to hear an explanation of the guy out of bounds thing. I thought once you went out of bounds you couldn't be the first person to touch the ball?

Have fun with this

Kickoff Rules | NFL Football Operations

I didn't see the play but there are a lot of things that get different on kickoffs.

-- There's only a penalty on the receiving team if a player first touches after voluntarily goes out of bounds

-- receiving team is subject to most normal blocking rules unless the contact is a receiving team player making an attempt to recover the ball themselves

-- if the receiving team takes possession of(or is it touches?) the ball while one foot is OOB, then kick is ruled OOB and the ball is dead, spotted 30 yards from the initial kick (i.e. like a normal OOB kickoff)
Old 09-28-2020, 04:05 PM   #310
Ksyrup

No, the guy didn't touch anything. He was on the kicking team and was pushed (blocked) from behind by a player on the receiving team who obviously didn't attempt to recover the ball because it went OOB short of 10 yards. We've all seen kicks not get returned but blocking penalties called on kickoffs and punts, so I was curious if there could have been a block in the back called and wonder how that would have been handled with the penalty on the kick going OOB.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-28-2020, 04:10 PM   #311
Ksyrup

I found a partial video of it - ignore the moron's commentary. Lazard pushes a Saint right before the ball goes out of bounds. I understand why they wouldn't call what was technically a block in the back given the circumstances, but now I'm curious if that penalty was called, would they have gotten a re-kick? Is that offsetting penalties, or does the kick OBB control and the Packers get the ball?

Wil Lutz Onside Kick vs Packers. SEPTEMBER 27TH, 2020 - YouTube

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-28-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #312
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
If you look at his numbers, they aren't actually that bad.

But if you watch the games, it's obvious. Father Time remains undefeated.

If you're, say 4-6, isn't that time to go to Hill or Jameis? I guess they could argue that 9-7 will make the playoffs with the extra spot. Payton likely isn't quitting any time soon, so going into next season with a 31 year old journeyman non qb maybe qb as the only guy on the roster is sketch.

And that gadget play with Hill was ill advised. If they wanna run some gadget shit, Kamara as a wildcat would be much more dangerous.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:45 PM   #313
stevew
Hall Of Famer

someone ping dr. sak to explain the kickoff rules.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:45 PM   #314
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So, yesterday, I made a "BDN" Foles reference in a Facebook post.

So far I think 3 out of like 8 or 9 people -- all ostensibly NFL followers -- seemed to have the slightest clue what I was talking about.

Was the {ahem} off-color nickname for Foles more obscure than I realize?
I mean, there's t-shirts & merch for it, it's not THAT obscure ... right?

Or, honestly, do I just know a large number of not real sharp people on FB?
Old 09-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #315
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
So, yesterday, I made a "BDN" Foles reference in a Facebook post.

So far I think 3 out of like 8 or 9 people -- all ostensibly NFL followers -- seemed to have the slightest clue what I was talking about.

Was the {ahem} off-color nickname for Foles more obscure than I realize?
I mean, there's t-shirts & merch for it, it's not THAT obscure ... right?

Or, honestly, do I just know a large number of not real sharp people on FB?

I would say you were a victim of our collective short attention span. That was two years, a Foles stop in Jacksonville and the Eagles trying to forget Foles was the guy to lead them to the Super Bowl and not Wentz ago.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 09-28-2020 at 06:02 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:28 PM   #316
Ksyrup

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I also don't closely follow sports off-field, much to the chagrin of my wife and kids who are constantly asking or telling me about who everyone is married to and how cute their kids are.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:30 PM   #317
JPhillips
General Manager

Similar to the people that didn't know why Adam Dunn was called Big Donkey.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:55 PM   #318
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Having asked the question, I also wonder if being familiar with the work of sports YouTuber UrinatingTree has something to do with why the insta-recognition for me.

If you know his work, then you know why Foles nickname might be more prominently stuck in my brain.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:33 PM   #319
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno why i keep laughing at this.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:33 AM   #320
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Got our first COVID positives--multiple Titans players and staff.

Vikings played the Titans on Sunday. Both teams have had in person contact suspended.

Here is where we figure out if this is sustainable or not.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #321
Ksyrup

I was going to come here this morning and post a question about why we hadn't heard about any Covid testing or positives so far this year. Seemed either too good to be true or being buried.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-29-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #322
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I mean, this had to happen, right? Why should we expect anything different from all the young people in this country thinking they can do what they want.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #323
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This was almost certainly going to happen.

Now we see if the NFL's system can handle it.

I sure hope so. But I have no idea.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #324
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I mean, this had to happen, right? Why should we expect anything different from all the young people in this country thinking they can do what they want.

Testing positive for COVID isn't necessarily proof of a moral failing.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:12 AM   #325
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Testing positive for COVID isn't necessarily proof of a moral failing.

Of course not, but just because you are an NFL player doesn't mean you have any more or less common sense than other 23 year olds who want to go about life as normal and think they are invincible. Are you denying that age group is acting this way?
Old 09-29-2020, 11:23 AM   #326
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'd argue that all age groups are doing a less than ideal job

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:30 AM   #327
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'd argue that all age groups are doing a less than ideal job

SI

fair point
Old 09-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #328
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This is going to fuck over the Steelers too. Great job great effort Titans.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #329
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
fair point

Considering a coach was held behind for the prior game, he may have been patient 0 although you never can prove it.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #330
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
This is going to fuck over the Steelers too. Great job great effort Titans.

I don't know how the NFL is handling missed games due to COVID. But isn't this good for Steelers? They're undefeated meaning they don't have any catching up to do and they get to potentially avoid playing a tough game on the road. They also get the benefits of a bye week.

If anyone got screwed it's the Vikings.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 09-29-2020 at 02:35 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #331
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I don't know how the NFL is handling missed games due to COVID. But isn't this good for Steelers? They're undefeated meaning they don't have any catching up to do and they get to potentially avoid playing a tough game on the road. They also get the benefits of a bye week.

If anyone got screwed it's the Vikings.

One article suggested moving this game to week 7 and then shifting the Steelers-Ravens game back a week since they both had a bye that week.

Last edited by henry296 : 09-29-2020 at 02:53 PM.
henry296 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #332
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Steelers game moved to at least monday, if not tuesday if not week 7. Roger get your shit together.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #333
Ksyrup

Move the Covid games to Tuesdays/Wednesdays as they come up and control TV for 2 more nights.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:52 AM   #334
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Oh, it's Thursday. Let me see who's playing tonight, and . . . HOLY SHIT, Who's fucking idea was this game?

I'm actually impressed that they managed to find a game this shitty this early in the year. You'd think it would be mathematically impossible.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:12 AM   #335
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Turdsday Night Football
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:41 AM   #336
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

They just announced the Titans game will be postponed completely.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #337
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Turdsday Night Football

Nice.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #338
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I want Trevor Lawrence to Instagram a photo of himself tonight slumped in an armchair watching the game with a defeated look on his face while drinking a malt liquor with a book titled “Learn to Pitch a Baseball” on the end table next to him.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #339
Ksyrup

Broncos are a mediocre/decent team with a ton of injuries, young QB (when not injured) and unsettled front office. I was not sold on Fangio but it's hard to say they should be any better than 1-2 right now given who they have lost. It feels like they could turn it around pretty quickly in the next year or two.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #340
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I want Trevor Lawrence to Instagram a photo of himself tonight slumped in an armchair watching the game with a defeated look on his face while drinking a malt liquor with a book titled “Learn to Pitch a Baseball” on the end table next to him.

LOL
Old 10-01-2020, 10:19 AM   #341
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Amazing

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #342
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Broncos are a mediocre/decent team with a ton of injuries, young QB (when not injured) and unsettled front office. I was not sold on Fangio but it's hard to say they should be any better than 1-2 right now given who they have lost. It feels like they could turn it around pretty quickly in the next year or two.

As a Broncos fan, I do like where this team is going, although I fear I was right when I quietly dreaded the Bradley Chubb pick a few years back. I just didn't think it was the right choice, and he looks more like a role player than a star right now.

But this team has a young QB and 5 former ProBowlers on it - all of whom are currently on the bench with injury. This year's team is like the backups playing the rest of the league's starters. I see a lot of stink in the near future.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:25 PM   #343
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
As a Broncos fan, I do like where this team is going, although I fear I was right when I quietly dreaded the Bradley Chubb pick a few years back. I just didn't think it was the right choice, and he looks more like a role player than a star right now.

But this team has a young QB and 5 former ProBowlers on it - all of whom are currently on the bench with injury. This year's team is like the backups playing the rest of the league's starters. I see a lot of stink in the near future.

Another Broncos fan. They need to stop drafting fucking QBs and get the o line tackles fixed. Literally they should just trade draft two tackles in the draft this year. If they have top five pick trade out of it and get the fucking line fixed and also get a coverage inside linebacker. If they even got Trevor Lawrence he would be runn8ng for his life behind that shitty line.

Last edited by Galaril : 10-01-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #344
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I my fantasy football league the team I'm playing against this week has:

QB: Rothlisberger
RB: J. Conner
RB: D. Henry
DST: Pittsburgh
K: Pittsburgh's Kicker

The Rona has come for this team.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #345
sabotai
General Manager

Here's a video that goes into what's going on with Carson Wentz and the Eagles. TLDW: Wentz's footwork has gotten worse is the main issue causing his accuracy problems, but he's also not seeing the field very well, teams have figured out his cadence making it easy for defenses to jump the snap, and Doug Peterson is abandoning the run quickly even though they have had success running the ball.

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:33 PM   #346
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Sam Darnold beast mode
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:15 PM   #347
RendeR
Coordinator

Sam Darnold, get'n beat mode.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:16 PM   #348
RendeR
Coordinator

Both these teams suck, and being a Bengals fan I have some expertise in this area.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #349
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

omg stop it you
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:09 PM   #350
RendeR
Coordinator

I'm at work (from home but on the clock) I've got the game on on my laptop next to my workstation and I seriously think I'm watching southwest dumbfuck state versus Inbreeding university instead of an NFL game.

Broncos QB#5427 throws a pick and the WR who is literally right there tries to grab the defenders flag on the way to the end zone.

he literally grabbed at his shirt tail instead of trying to tackle the fucking guy.

holy shit.