Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2020, 11:23 AM   #26801
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
We'll see what the ultimate plan ends up being in KY, but I'm surprised that our GOP SOS and Dem Governor have worked so well together. Mainly, I'm shocked that the GOP has allowed the SOS to give in on some of the points that the GOP has typically argued against.

It probably speaks more to the fact that KY is solid red and McConnell is likely not in any true peril than anything else, I'm guessing. But whatever the reason, it's been refreshing to see.

Imagine the complete bullshit we'd be dealing with if Bevin were still in charge.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:25 PM   #26802
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Hydroxychloroquine dispensers on every street corner, kids tied to school chairs, businesses fined if anyone wears a mask, etc., trying to race DeSantis and others to the award for Trump's most outwardly loyal governor. It would have been a disaster. I hated the guy before now - thank God he was such as ass that even dead red KY couldn't stand him.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:25 PM   #26803
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I don't have a dog in this fight, but this clip is freaking hilarious. From the media circle jerk over Harris' nomination, to Biden's own staff cutting him off, to Harris' own father rebuking her for promoting Jamaican stereotypes.

"Kamala Harris, Shadow President?"

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #26804
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The one concern I'm hearing a lot about from intelligent opposers is that mail-in voting exacerbates fraud stemming from voter registration. I.e., studies of voting fraud have found that illegals voting, or people voting multiple times in person etc. are extremely rare; voter registration accuracy is much less so.

KSyrup's early voting comments are interesting to me. My question is, we have trouble finding enough poll workers now. How do you find enough for two weeks?
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #26805
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Trump danced around a question asking whether or not he believes in QAnon.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:18 PM   #26806
Ksyrup

He believes in it to the extent it will help keep him in power. Notice how some in the GOP denounced the GA rep candidate after her batsh!t videos came to light, then she won the primary and the GOP is proud to support her. All they care is keeping the seat, it doesn't matter what she believes.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-14-2020, 01:21 PM   #26807
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

By 2024 QAnon will be in the GOP platform.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #26808
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
By 2022 QAnon will be in the GOP platform.

fixed that for you

Like Steam?

Old 08-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #26809
RainMaker
General Manager

In case you were wondering, the QAnon lady is also a 9/11 truther.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:10 PM   #26810
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
In case you were wondering, the QAnon lady is also a 9/11 truther.

I'm sure it goes much deeper than that, she just hasn't bothered to post videos about every stupid thing she believes.It's enough to get elected that she just posts conspiracy theories and racist BS.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #26811
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm sure it goes much deeper than that, she just hasn't bothered to post videos about every stupid thing she believes.It's enough to get elected that she just posts conspiracy theories and racist BS.

Hey, if you want honest representation of her constituency...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:47 PM   #26812
Ksyrup

I suppose that's the quandary. I'm sure the majority of GOP doesn't necessarily want that kind of candidate, but they get the candidates that the voters they have courted want. And that's on them for stooping to the anti-education, faux-patriot BS that the GOP has been peddling in recent years. I know I'm done with it.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #26813
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

QAnon is the GOP platform in Indiana. I mean, I haven’t seen a candidate specifically support any of that, but my entire Facebook feed is nothing but QAnon conspiracies.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:34 PM   #26814
Ksyrup

The whole QAnon thing is so weird. Apparently the recent $35M administration aid package for sex trafficking survivors is more than it appears on the surface - it's a specific nod to the QAnon people.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:46 PM   #26815
RainMaker
General Manager

My favorite part is where they have decided all these celebrities and politicians are body doubles as the real people have been executed at Guantanamo for their crimes.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #26816
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Does Robert Trump have covid? How hard will they suppress if he does?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #26817
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I understand it has to be because he's a McConnell donor, but it is crazy to me that the Chair of the USPS Board of Governors is the CEO of the Inez Deposit Bank in Inez, KY. You can see it on Google, here:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...px8wDXoECBIQBg

Yes, Inez is as small as it looks in that picture.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:23 AM   #26818
Ksyrup

It occurred to me this morning that another reason Trump is likely pushing back against mail-in voting is that a lot of people will have the opportunity to vote early, and if that happens, it lessens any chance he has of making a comeback. Any October surprises, or if school opening go better than expected, cases start to decrease, etc. - it may only have a marginal effect.

We just found out in KY that "no excuse" absentee voting will be permitted and the portal to request ballots will be open next Friday. There's a chance that a significant number of people could conceivably vote by Labor Day. Now, KY is not in danger of voting blue, but if I'm on the fence but concerned about getting my vote in on time, maybe I vote in early September by mail. Or, vote in-person 3 weeks before election day (which is also going to happen in KY). I have to imagine that all of these early voting methods are concerning to GOP not just because they're concerned about more Dems voting but because they are losing.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:32 AM   #26819
PilotMan
Head Coach

So KY, a dead Red state, with a D governor and a R house and senate came up with this very acceptable and reasonable voting plan.

Absentee ballot by mail
  • Kentuckians concerned with contracting or spreading COVID-19 can request a ballot by mail.
  • An online portal will launch within the week to allow Kentuckians to request a ballot by mail. Ballots can be requested through the portal through Oct. 9, and through traditional means after.
  • Mail ballots must be postmarked by Election Day, Nov. 3, and received by Nov. 6.
  • Drop boxes will be available for Kentuckians to return their mail ballots if they are concerned about postal delays. County clerks will determine these locations.
Early voting
  • Beginning Oct. 13, three weeks before the election, every work day between Oct. 13 and Election Day, and every Saturday for at least four hours, every county clerk will provide a location for safe in-person voting.
  • Early voting is not absentee voting – anyone can vote early for any reason.
Election Day voting
  • County election officials will decide election sites on Election Day. The State Board of Elections, Secretary of State and Governor will approve each plan.
  • Every county will have at least one voting super-center, where everyone from the county can go to vote, regardless of his or her precinct.
Voter identification
  • Kentuckians who were unable to get a driver’s licenses or photo ID due to the pandemic because their clerk’s office was closed, or because they were afraid of exposing themselves to COVID-19, can sign a document explaining this concern and cast their ballot.

Like Steam?

Old 08-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #26820
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Susan Collins, who actually could have done something about Trump and instead fell in line, is now VERY concerned about the post office and wants answers.

so she sent a strongly worded letter. You can't make this shit up.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:05 PM   #26821
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
So KY, a dead Red state, with a D governor and a R house and senate came up with this very acceptable and reasonable voting plan.

Absentee ballot by mail
  • Kentuckians concerned with contracting or spreading COVID-19 can request a ballot by mail.
  • An online portal will launch within the week to allow Kentuckians to request a ballot by mail. Ballots can be requested through the portal through Oct. 9, and through traditional means after.
  • Mail ballots must be postmarked by Election Day, Nov. 3, and received by Nov. 6.
  • Drop boxes will be available for Kentuckians to return their mail ballots if they are concerned about postal delays. County clerks will determine these locations.
Early voting
  • Beginning Oct. 13, three weeks before the election, every work day between Oct. 13 and Election Day, and every Saturday for at least four hours, every county clerk will provide a location for safe in-person voting.
  • Early voting is not absentee voting – anyone can vote early for any reason.
Election Day voting
  • County election officials will decide election sites on Election Day. The State Board of Elections, Secretary of State and Governor will approve each plan.
  • Every county will have at least one voting super-center, where everyone from the county can go to vote, regardless of his or her precinct.
Voter identification
  • Kentuckians who were unable to get a driver’s licenses or photo ID due to the pandemic because their clerk’s office was closed, or because they were afraid of exposing themselves to COVID-19, can sign a document explaining this concern and cast their ballot.

It's great. I wonder how much shit Adams is going to get from the GOP.

I thought it was funny that they forced all polling place plans to be approved by the Election Commission/SOS/Governor. One of them said yesterday that they took a lot of crap nationally for decisions that were made locally and that wasn't going to happen again. Now they own the decision to approve the plans, so I'm guessing that means Louisville and Lexington will have more than 1 polling place.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #26822
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Susan Collins, who actually could have done something about Trump and instead fell in line, is now VERY concerned about the post office and wants answers.

so she sent a strongly worded letter. You can't make this shit up.

If a freshman creative writing student wrote a parody story about the government, her professor would give it back with a note that the "Senator Collins character is too much. Even in a parody you have to make the characters somewhat believable."
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #26823
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Does Robert Trump have covid? How hard will they suppress if he does?

Sure sounds like it.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:55 PM   #26824
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I apparently missed that Trump said he might pardon Edward Snowden. Is that payment to Assange or Putin?
Old 08-15-2020, 06:22 PM   #26825
kingfc22
Head Coach

In the “there’s always a tweet” category

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...473633792?s=20
Old 08-15-2020, 06:27 PM   #26826
Ksyrup

There's a better tweet from around 2016, I think, where he says he should be executed... unless he has info on Obama or Clinton to share.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:49 PM   #26827
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

“We have 5% of the world’s population but 25% of the world’s deaths due to Covid-19, and there’s no way to spin that in a positive light." - Mitt Romney

Romney slams Trump administration over U.S. coronavirus death toll
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:07 PM   #26828
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

He ain't wrong.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #26829
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Trumps brother died today. Trump was golfing.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:13 AM   #26830
Edward64
Head Coach

Good news for Trump with NYPD Union. I suspect many other police unions will do the same as a backlash to the BLM protests and what they view as unjust coverage, vilification of police as a whole and lack of Dem support. Don't know if this will really make a significant difference but something for Trump to use in the 3 months.

Made me think about the military view of Trump. The most recent poll I could find is from Dec 2019. Essentially 50-50 which is trending down but still higher than Obama when he left office. Women, minorities, officers had greater unfavorables vs white enlisted.

Half of active-duty service members are unhappy with Trump, new Military Times poll shows

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-16-2020 at 05:15 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:23 AM   #26831
Edward64
Head Coach

Taylor, I kinda like your music and voted for you in HoN, but WTF are you doing talking about USPS? You have little credibility, leave that to others.

Use your fame, fortune & influence over the next 3 months to get out the vote.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:23 AM   #26832
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Good news for Trump with NYPD Union. I suspect many other police unions will do the same as a backlash to the BLM protests and what they view as unjust coverage, vilification of police as a whole and lack of Dem support. Don't know if this will really make a significant difference but something for Trump to use in the 3 months.

NYPD Union endorses guy who stole in NY from a childrens charity and is barred from ever running one again, along with a myriad of other charges he faces. But right, no police reform needed.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #26833
spleen1015
Coordinator

NY is going blue so who cares?

It just shows you who the NYPD union is.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:11 AM   #26834
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
NY is going blue so who cares?

Optics.

Other than voter suppression & foreign interference, Trump's best chance of winning the election is getting back suburban white folks who don't like him and don't like the virus, and don't like the unemployment, but ALSO don't like crime, particularly certain kinds of crime.

If he can keep the focus on "Biden will let Bernie and AOC replace the police with social workers so you and your kids will get mugged and raped constantly" he's got a shot.

He lived in New York in the 70s and 80s where (from what I hear) violent crime really was that bad. So I think that he understands a certain kind of visceral fear of crime that a lot of younger folks just don't get.

Violent crime in the United States has gone down (across administrations and geographical locations) for decades, so I don't think that people get just what a powerful voting motivator it is when it is present.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:21 AM   #26835
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Nobody makes me more anti-cop than Pat Lynch. He's one of those guys that just needs a punch in the face.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:32 AM   #26836
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
It occurred to me this morning that another reason Trump is likely pushing back against mail-in voting is that a lot of people will have the opportunity to vote early, and if that happens, it lessens any chance he has of making a comeback. Any October surprises, or if school opening go better than expected, cases start to decrease, etc. - it may only have a marginal effect...
I think that you are right. I totally expect more than one major surprise to drop in late October in an attempt to harm Biden. Probably a flood of information about Hunter, a over-hyped report from the Justice department about Obama spying on the Trump campaign, and at least one more wild card (A Kamala scandal?). All of it probably easily debunked, but not if released a few days before election.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #26837
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Nobody makes me more anti-cop than Pat Lynch. He's one of those guys that just needs a punch in the face.
I can't see how anybody can listen to him for five minutes and not think the police needs to be completely reformed.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #26838
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Taylor, I kinda like your music and voted for you in HoN, but WTF are you doing talking about USPS? You have little credibility, leave that to others.

I mean, thats kind of what she did do.....
Old 08-16-2020, 09:43 AM   #26839
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

What kind of qualifications do you need to talk about the USPS? And her whole statement about it was directly in relation to getting out the vote. Do you have any other instructions for women you find hot and what they should or shouldn't talk about?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #26840
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's exactly what she did. I don't get this attack on Taylor. Not to mention she's been pretty vocally anti Trump for a while now so not sure why it's surprising.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #26841
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How dare someone speak out when they’re losing a million dollars a week or more in touring revenue. She should shut the fuck up.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #26842
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If she can't voice an opinion, why didn't the same rules apply to Trump?

How about we just let anyone voice an opinion and critique the substance rather than the speaker?
Old 08-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #26843
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Optics.

Other than voter suppression & foreign interference, Trump's best chance of winning the election is getting back suburban white folks who don't like him and don't like the virus, and don't like the unemployment, but ALSO don't like crime, particularly certain kinds of crime.

If he can keep the focus on "Biden will let Bernie and AOC replace the police with social workers so you and your kids will get mugged and raped constantly" he's got a shot.

He lived in New York in the 70s and 80s where (from what I hear) violent crime really was that bad. So I think that he understands a certain kind of visceral fear of crime that a lot of younger folks just don't get.

Violent crime in the United States has gone down (across administrations and geographical locations) for decades, so I don't think that people get just what a powerful voting motivator it is when it is present.

This may work if he wasn't running against Joe Biden. I mean I've made this point before, but since Biden is so well known for being a moderate these attempts just seem silly. The same guy attacked loudly for the 1994 Crime Bill in the primaries is going to defund cops? No one thinks that, not even Trump.

Not to mention his VP choice is a former prosecutor, who some on the far left didn't (and still don't) like because she's "a Cop".
Old 08-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #26844
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
How about we just let anyone voice an opinion and critique the substance rather than the speaker?

I'm all for that. Not how it works though even on this forum,which I daresay has people of generally higher intelligence and maturity than the nation as a whole.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:58 PM   #26845
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Re: getting out the vote, I agree that is what she did and that's why I mentioned it.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #26846
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Re: getting out the vote, I agree that is what she did and that's why I mentioned it.

Then why the comment about the USPS? You realize at this point they are linked.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:40 PM   #26847
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
What kind of qualifications do you need to talk about the USPS?

USPS situation is more complicated and has more history than she portrays it. The failure of USPS in current day is not cause by any one administration, its been a history of congress not helping USPS to succeed and also situation of National Labors Relation board not realizing times have changed and USPS has to change with it.

They asked for $25B, this was not for the election but normal operations. They also asked for $3.5B for the election situation.

So

1) Spread the blame. Is it really Trump, Congress or both, with a large sprinkling of incompetence by USPS management & unions

2) Trump has said he was willing to deal for what he wants in the economic package (before Taylor's statement). I actually think this is smart way to negotiate as he has something the other side wants. Will the Dems deal or will both continue to play chicken (someone has to blink soon)

3) Some context. USPS handles 472M pieces of mail each day. About 138M voted last time. So let's say there will be a pretty good surge at 160M? How long is the voting period? Don't know, let's say min of 2 weeks (but probably longer). 472M x 6 x 2 weeks = 5,664B. Therefore, voting by mail will add 2.8% over 2 weeks or swagging 1.4% over a month.

What can USPS do without additional funds? The obvious answer is to rework internal processes to give ballots top priority. Leverage volunteers; provide tiered cut-offs zip; instead of mailing it back in, ask people to drive and drop it off in a special box; ask only older people to vote by mail etc.

There are many ways to mitigate the situation. Don't come to Congress and ask for $3B (probably reasonable) but also $25B for regular operations.

Let's talk about voter suppression angle ...

4) Yes, Trump has pretty much said he doesn't want USPS to do universal balloting (but has said he is willing to deal) because it helps the Dems. I'm okay with it. I believe voting is a duty and privilege. There are exceptional cases but for the bell curve non-20% go out and vote. In 2016, 55% voted so there is around approx. 25% more that can vote but don't because they are GD lazy and don't care enough

5) What's the problem with asking a good portion of people to come in an vote in a traditional manner? For Dems, BLM protests were okay because it was for important enough of a cause. For GOP, Sturgis and Ozarks were okay. You get the idea. Electing a President and next Congress is more important than either, so show up with your face masks, sanitizer spray, and be ready to stand 6ft apart and wait a long time.

My point here is for the non-20% bell curve (e.g. the missing 25%), if you are not willing to vote if you cannot get a mail-in ballot, that's not something you can pin on Trump.

Quote:
And her whole statement about it was directly in relation to getting out the vote.

I agree, that's why I said it.

Quote:
Do you have any other instructions for women you find hot and what they should or shouldn't talk about?

Wow, pretty nuanced sarcasm, I almost missed it.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #26848
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Then why the comment about the USPS? You realize at this point they are linked.

I don't know why I had to explain it? It was in the CNN article I read (and assume its in all the other articles), pretty self evident I read the article and commented on it.

Why do you think I would be criticizing her about "not" getting out the vote when the article said she was trying to do so (albeit in a partisan way but I didn't mention that).
Old 08-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #26849
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I'm all for that. Not how it works though even on this forum,which I daresay has people of generally higher intelligence and maturity than the nation as a whole.

Touche.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-16-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #26850
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Wow, pretty nuanced sarcasm, I almost missed it.

Wasn't meant to be nuanced. Your gross and offensive sexism was pretty direct and obvious to see. "Man, I'd love to bang her, but she should shut up about certain things."

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote