Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Favorite Obscure/Weird/Quirky Rules in Sports

What are some of your favorite obscure/weird rules in sports?

Personally, I like the Fair Catch Kick in football--that rule that lets you try a field goal from the fair catch spot. It seems to come up once every few years (though apparently one hasn't been made at the NFL level since the mid-70s).

What are some others?

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

The college football 1-point Conversion safety. I think it's only happened twice, they're both on youtube, same commentator called both.

The defensive 1-point conversation safety has never happened, but, I wait....

"In the NFL and NCAA, a conversion safety can also be scored by the defense.This scoring play has never occurred; to accomplish this, the team attempting the try must somehow be forced back to its own end zone (i.e., the opposite end of the field). A possible scenario would involve a turnover while attempting a conversion, followed by the defending team’s ball-carrier fumbling while en route to the attempting team's end zone, with the attempting team finally recovering the ball and downing it in its own end zone. While such a conversion safety has never been scored by the defense, it is the only possible way under current rules in which a team could finish with a single point in an American football game. ] The NFHS (high school) rule book does not allow the defense to score on conversion attempts"

Last edited by molson : 01-03-2020 at 12:30 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #3
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

What?! It's possible for a team to end with a score of 1 point in an NFL or NCAA game?! I had NO idea. That's so cool!
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I saw the 1 point safety thing happen in a game between Texas and Texas A&M probably 15 years ago.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:46 PM   #5
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The college football 1-point Conversion safety. I think it's only happened twice, they're both on youtube, same commentator called both.

The defensive 1-point conversation safety has never happened, but, I wait....

"In the NFL and NCAA, a conversion safety can also be scored by the defense.This scoring play has never occurred; to accomplish this, the team attempting the try must somehow be forced back to its own end zone (i.e., the opposite end of the field). A possible scenario would involve a turnover while attempting a conversion, followed by the defending team’s ball-carrier fumbling while en route to the attempting team's end zone, with the attempting team finally recovering the ball and downing it in its own end zone. While such a conversion safety has never been scored by the defense, it is the only possible way under current rules in which a team could finish with a single point in an American football game. ] The NFHS (high school) rule book does not allow the defense to score on conversion attempts"

Had never heard of this but just looked it up on YouTube. Bizarre.

I guess I'd toss in that the dropkick still being a legal way to score is obscure these days. I know the Patriots did it with Flutie in a game.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The strange one from baseball you hardly ever see is if a batted ball hits the pitchers mound, and goes into foul territory without a player touching it, it is a foul ball.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It’s not super obscure but I’m always a fan of the untimed down and the 10 second runoff.

The Cavs Lakers game from about 7 years ago was crazy. The Lakers only had 8 healthy players I think and someone got hurt. Then 3 guys fouled out. (Actually 2 guys got hurt and 2 fouled out-edit)

Of course nobody knew the Lakers wouldn’t have to play a man down, but the Cavs apparently didn’t know that they could draw a technical every time Robert Sacre fouled someone.

Last edited by stevew : 01-03-2020 at 01:14 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Robert Sacre Remains in Lakers Game with 6 Fouls Due to Bizarre NBA Rule | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #9
molson
General Manager

I was on my way out and omitted the youtube videos of the 1-point safetys.

Rarest play in NCAA Football (1pt safety) - YouTube

1 point safety Oregon vs. Kansas State - YouTube

The first the time announcers are just bewildered. The second time - same announcer - he remembered this coming up. The ref in the second video does a better job of explaining things, and I like how he expressly tells everyone that it is "an unusual ruling".

Last edited by molson : 01-03-2020 at 01:48 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #10
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The strange one from baseball you hardly ever see is if a batted ball hits the pitchers mound, and goes into foul territory without a player touching it, it is a foul ball.

That's an interesting one, I'm assuming it's because the ball has not passed 1st or 3rd base yet?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
That's an interesting one, I'm assuming it's because the ball has not passed 1st or 3rd base yet?

Lemme clarify a bit. It isn't the mound, but the pitching rubber. In some leagues, the pitchers mound is past the invisible line between first and third. Not sure of the origins of the rule.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #12
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Lemme clarify a bit. It isn't the mound, but the pitching rubber. In some leagues, the pitchers mound is past the invisible line between first and third. Not sure of the origins of the rule.

Ahhh. I learn something new every day. I always thought it was just 1st and 3rd. The pitching rubber makes it a bit more interesting and one heck of a lucky hit.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote