Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #151
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Wow! That's awesome, Thomkal! Congrats on coming out here, and on the big win yesterday for the GBLT community.

As a fiscal conservative, I find myself more and more identifying with a more progressively social stance, and I see yesterday as a big win for my stance on that as well.

I have to admit, your situation with your twin brother is interesting to me, on the science side of things. Are you and your brother identical twins?

Thanks Chief. Yes we are identical-he's about 3 mins older than me, and I was a surprise to my doctor and parents. "oh my god, there's another one in there!" or something similar was his response when he saw me. Born a month premature (remember this was back in the 60's), and I was baptized in the hospital because they were not sure I would survive. Fooled them all I guess.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #152
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I still have relatives living in your area

Yeah, I remember. If you're around let me know.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #153
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Whoo! Good for you. Very happy you felt like you could share this with us.

My biggest laugh about the entire thing is how the religious feel it is infringing on their personal beliefs. Nobody is forcing these churches to marry LGBTQ couples. They can go to city hall and get a certificate like anybody else could.

This is a fantastic day for equality and love. Hopefully we can continue to push forward as a nation and globally.

Yeah the republican response to the decision was sad but predictable. All it is doing is pushing away a lot of people from voting for them in the future. I can understand it more from a professional religious man (or woman)-they are being told to accept something that is very core to their beliefs and are wondering what's next), but all these people going over the top (Huckabee and Cruz I'm looking at you.) saying that the end days are now here and that "the gays" have destroyed America just make me shake my head.

Edit: I'm very glad that the Justice put in his decision that no one is forcing a church to marry same sex couples if their faith does not call for it. That's the way it should be. Makes it hard on the couple though, as they may be forced from their denomination of choice if they want to be married in a church. The pastor at my mom's church, recently had to tell a couple (not in the church), because of his beliefs, could not come to the ceremony.

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-28-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #154
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
God bless you. I am so happy for you.

Thanks Chris! Means a lot to hear from another of my FOBL brethren on this. I'm kinda happy for myself too
Old 06-28-2015, 09:15 PM   #155
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Finally, Finally I can proudly call myself a gay American. Yes I was one of the two people (i think) marked that box we had in that poll here a while back. Now that the Supreme Court has ruled in our favor, I feel it was time to come out of the shadows. This issue has caused some strife in my own family, with the person I should be closest to-my twin brother. He is very much a conservative Christian Republican...while I'm not any of those. It's been hard for both of us to put our political/social beliefs behind us at times and remember we are our brothers first. I don't expect this decision to do much to change things between us, but it has and will help many of my gay brethren who have fought for this for so long, and for that I am happy for them.

NOTE: If today's results and my "coming out here" disgusts and angers you, then please block me-I don't want to hear your words anymore than you want to hear mine anymore I'm guessing.
hoowa! rarely come into this thread...but glad i saw this. be yourself and no one else

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:15 PM   #156
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
This video captures how proud I am of my country right now. It brought tears to my eyes.

Gay Men's Chorus of Washington Sings National Anthem After Supreme Court Ruling - YouTube

mine too. I've seen one video taken by a You Tuber right there in the crowd, right when the decision was announced-the noise and emotion of that moment is something I will always remember.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #157
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Congratulations. Today, you're one giant step closer to sharing everything that's positive about America.

We've all seen too many of the negatives lately. It's nice to have a day that's about inclusion and freedom.

Thanks Jim! It sure was nice to have a day like that. Not sure how many more of them we will have sadly
Old 06-28-2015, 09:29 PM   #158
tarcone
Coordinator

Dissenting opinion from Justice Roberts

"Understand well what this dissent is about: It is not about whether, in my judgment, the institution of marriage should be changed to include same-sex couples. It is instead about whether, in our democratic republic, that decision should rest with the people acting through their elected representatives, or with five lawyers who happen to hold commissions authorizing them to resolve legal disputes according to law," he wrote.

And continues

"Stripped of its shiny rhetorical gloss, the majority's argument is that the Due Process Clause gives same-sex couples a fundamental right to marry because it will be good for them and for society," Roberts wrote. "If I were a legislator, I would certainly consider that view as a matter of social policy. But as a judge, I find the majority's position indefensible as a matter of constitutional law."

Scalia wrote:

"Until the courts put a stop to it, public debate over same-sex marriage displayed American democracy at its best," Scalia wrote. "But the Court ends this debate, in an opinion lacking even a thin veneer of law."

I'm going with the dissenting judges on this one. It should not be decided in the SCOTUS. Change should have come from the legislators. Elected by the people.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:34 PM   #159
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
We talk a lot here at FOFC about how our back and forth bickering never changes minds. But I've changed my mind over the years on what homosexuality is, and a lot of that was from discussions a long time ago here on this message board. And basically, I just don't understand it, but its not something to be hateful about, its not something to be scared of. I dont make gay jokes anymore...I stopped saying, "That's gay" about anything I disapprove of. While I still struggle to equate it to our racial problems...I get that it was second class citizenship we were enforcing and I was part of the problem.

In a nutshell, I'm glad that you, a decent human being by all accounts, are happy and that America has taken a step to be more comfortable with you.

Dutch,

what a classy response, thank you for it. I'm glad you were able to open your mind and understand what homosexuality is and what you were doing was harmful to many others around you. Unfortunately too many have not learned this yet. My mother (in her 70's, very religious) goes to a card crafting party at her friends house every other week or so. At the party this time were two women-who could have gone by the same description as her. When she came home from the party, I went to her car to help her bring stuff into the house...and she was literally shaking and crying and apologizing to me. I held her close and tried to figure out what was wrong.

The two woman, thinking they were amongst people of their same beliefs, had gotten on to the topic of homosexuals for some reason, and started spouting a lot of nasty stuff about us, not knowing she was the mother of one. Stuff that was bred from pure ignorance and from the pulpit. My mother was flabbergasted as she had never experienced such talk and outright hatred before, and she was so sorry that I had to ever experience that. It was not a fun day.

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-28-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:45 PM   #160
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
A day that has been long overdue... sort of. The only thing that I am not a fan of is the supreme court taking away power from the state. I applaud the message, just not the messenger.

Oh well enough of the parade pissing. Great message, one that I fully support. As I have said. While I may not like seeing two men kissing that is my own problem, not theirs. Anyone that is against the idea of same sex marriage there is very good news for you; this doesn't affect you one bit. If you don't like the idea of same sex marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex.

Hey EF,

Thanks for the support, I don't like to see two woman kissing, and I'm gay So I can understand your point of view here. In fact the thought of having sex with a woman makes me ill .

Have to disagree with you a bit on your other point. This clearly has become a national issue rather than a state one-because now laws would have to be written in each state over the status of a same-sex marriage. Some would deny they had any status at all, which only would create more lawsuits and angst. This way the SC had made the status the same for everyone-crystal clear and hopefully not up for interpretation.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #161
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
CNN freaks out over ISIS flag at gay pride parade.

The flag was a parody using dildo images instead of Arabic lettering.

I had seen this in passing, but had not heard what they found out. Oh those wacky gay people. On the other hand, isis would no doubt love to cut up a bunch of gays than even a bunch of Americans, so glad there was no one there to act on this.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:58 PM   #162
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
congrats Dan!

a late response Thanks DD!
Old 06-28-2015, 10:03 PM   #163
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
hoowa! rarely come into this thread...but glad i saw this. be yourself and no one else

Thanks clap! That was a tough lesson to learn-was in the closet for a long time.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #164
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Some States Are Still Trying To Resist Gay Marriage
LOL

GIT R DUN!!!

Last edited by claphamsa : 06-28-2015 at 10:15 PM.
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #165
Dutch
"Dutch"

My guess is Thomkal never forgets to send thank you cards either.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #166
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
My guess is Thomkal never forgets to send thank you cards either.

What's your address, I'll send you one I just felt it was important to thank the people who supported my decision, or gave me support. And I had/have a lot of free time tonight
Old 06-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #167
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

I'm going with the dissenting judges on this one. It should not be decided in the SCOTUS. Change should have come from the legislators. Elected by the people.

The fed/anti-fed debate is a brilliant pain in the ass.

It gets icky pretty quick. Such as, do you think marriages and their rights should be revoked once across a border?

Also, is this only a state issue? Can a county have a law different from the state?
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:03 PM   #168
tarcone
Coordinator

How many years is the over/under on when polygamy becomes a right?

Old 06-28-2015, 11:15 PM   #169
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

Congratulations, you win the strawman cup. Thanks for playing.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:18 PM   #170
RainMaker
General Manager

Polygamy is a bit different.

I could care less how many wives someone has though.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:39 PM   #171
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Congratulations, you win the strawman cup. Thanks for playing.

I'm being serious. The rights of people to marry whomever they choose is the heart of this decision, correct?
There are people out there who believe in this. Why is it a straw man arguement?
I haven't been discussing who should get married. I've been against the method in which it has been adopted.
Using the fact that the Supreme Court has decided to jump into this. Shouldn't polygamists, which is practiced by Mormon fundamentalists, be given their day in court? This could hit both the 14th amendment and the 1st amendment.

You can be closed minded about it. But sticking your head in the sand, doesn't mean it won't happen.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:40 PM   #172
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

And same sex marriage wasn't a bit different a decade ago?

Old 06-28-2015, 11:55 PM   #173
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm being serious. The rights of people to marry whomever they choose is the heart of this decision, correct?
There are people out there who believe in this. Why is it a straw man arguement?
I haven't been discussing who should get married. I've been against the method in which it has been adopted.
Using the fact that the Supreme Court has decided to jump into this. Shouldn't polygamists, which is practiced by Mormon fundamentalists, be given their day in court? This could hit both the 14th amendment and the 1st amendment.

You can be closed minded about it. But sticking your head in the sand, doesn't mean it won't happen.

Your question is only serious if you see the choice to want multiple spouses the same as being homosexual. Even if you think homosexuality is a choice, one can be homosexual without ever having a sexual relationahip, however, one cannot be an unmarried polygamist.

You are mixing your philosophies, just pick one:

"To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:00 AM   #174
tarcone
Coordinator

Is monogamy a scientific fact? If it isn't, shouldn't one who has the urge to have multiple partners and be allowed to have them covered by their health insurance and be able to give them all the benefits of marriage, be allowed to marry them?

Old 06-29-2015, 12:22 AM   #175
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

First of all, stop it. There is no organized group seeking plural marriage in any serious fashion, so it's a silly question.

Second, nothing changed this week about how the United States as a government treats marriages; the only thing that altered is the requirements for starting one. So the arguments about gay marriage were social in nature.

That's not the case with plural marriages. Tax burdens, power of attorney, inheritance, child custody, asset and liability assignment - none of these are insurmountable problems, but there is enough legal burden on changing the system to allow group or plural marriage that it'll be a while before any group is large enough or determined enough to make a competent case to force the government to make those changes.

Finally, my suspicion is that while it was blatantly discriminatory to claim that two people couldn't enter into a legal covenant together because of their gender, the practice of enforcing exclusivity in partnerships is quite settled as a legal matter.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:29 AM   #176
tarcone
Coordinator

It's social policy.

I'm surprised so many are willing to throw away the tenets of our great democratic republic.
There was no reason for the court to step in. Laws would have been changed the way our country was set up. It may have taken a little longer, but it would have happened. And there would have been a lot less turmoil.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:39 AM   #177
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Is monogamy a scientific fact? If it isn't, shouldn't one who has the urge to have multiple partners and be allowed to have them covered by their health insurance and be able to give them all the benefits of marriage, be allowed to marry them?

Perhaps. And as long as everyone is eligible for it it would be fine.

The issue with gay marriage was that not all citizens were eligible for this right.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:36 AM   #178
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Once Obummer secretly implements sharia law we can get polygamy ok'd
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:11 AM   #179
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I do think there will be challenges in the court for polygamy. However, I just don't see it being made legal anytime soon.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:13 AM   #180
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Once Obummer secretly implements sharia law we can get polygamy ok'd

I had a relative that believed he was a secret Muslim. I wonder what she thinks of his rendition of Amazing Grace.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:25 AM   #181
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
It's social policy.

I'm surprised so many are willing to throw away the tenets of our great democratic republic.
There was no reason for the court to step in. Laws would have been changed the way our country was set up. It may have taken a little longer, but it would have happened. And there would have been a lot less turmoil.

So I am clear, what tenet are you referring to?

Its interpretation of the law that impacts social policy. It wasn't the justices just making their own "social program".

And no, I actually don't believe it would have happened but just "a little longer". Do you believe blacks and women would have progressed this far since the 50's and 60's without being made to do so?
Old 06-29-2015, 04:59 AM   #182
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
What's your address, I'll send you one I just felt it was important to thank the people who supported my decision, or gave me support. And I had/have a lot of free time tonight

See, I knew it!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:00 AM   #183
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

As long as all those involved consent to the arrangement, I'm not concerned.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:11 AM   #184
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Once upon a time people felt that way about segregation and miscegenation. Were they wrong in Loving v Virginia? Should it have continued to be state's rights? That couple was married in DC, where it was legal, but lived in Virginia where it was a crime. I think they were right to put an end to that and they were right to put an end to marriages only being allowed between consenting adults of opposite gender.

As far as laws being changed and it simply taking time, how long should people have to wait? Would segregation have been eliminated if not done by the hands of SCOTUS? When? It had already been 100 years since the Civil War. How long should people have to wait for equal access and due process? To make it even worse, SCOTUS had even once said "separate but equal" was just fine, but it no longer flies.

Last edited by Tekneek : 06-29-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #185
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
As long as all those involved consent to the arrangement, I'm not concerned.

But can you imagine the divorce cases?
Old 06-29-2015, 06:59 AM   #186
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

An administrative nightmare. Good for the lawyers, bad for everybody else.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #187
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It's social policy.

Laws would have been changed the way our country was set up. It may have taken a little longer, but it would have happened. And there would have been a lot less turmoil.

I'll take guess who is a white male for 200 Alex.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #188
Subby
lolzcat

OMG HOW LONG UNTIL SCHMIDTY IS ALLOPWED TO MARRIE HIS DOOOOG???

god O'BUMMMER!

#handbasket
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #189
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

And?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #190
corbes
College Benchwarmer

So, here's the thing about "letting the democratic process play out" and "state's rights":

We don't get to vote on whether people can exercise their fundamental constitutional rights. Nor do states get to abridge those rights.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #191
digamma
Torchbearer

new thread created.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #192
digamma
Torchbearer

It's funny, I think you could cut excerpts of the Amazing Grace eulogy and apply them into this thread.

-“We don’t earn grace. We're all sinners. We don't deserve it. But God gives it to us anyway.”

-"For too long we've been blind...we see that now."

Amazing grace, indeed. And love wins.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #193
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

And tax and financial implications. A group of married people could set up tax shelters, avoid estate taxes, pick out the best work benefit package among the group and then share that one among everyone.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #194
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Perhaps. And as long as everyone is eligible for it it would be fine.

The issue with gay marriage was that not all citizens were eligible for this right.

Exactly. It's nice to see that such an obvious hole was left in whatever talking points memo was circulated to these people.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #195
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I am super happy about the SCOTUS ruling! When I read the news on Friday, I was just insanely giddy and kept singing "Now is the Feast and Celebration" (it's a Church hymn). My pastor went down to the Courthouse and started marrying couples almost immediately - I think she married the first gay couples in Dekalb County, GA. I'm sure it was a party atmosphere at Church on Sunday. I'm sad I missed it as I was out of town, but it was a great message - for those who are Christian and are affirming (even if you aren't, I guess), here is a link to it:

Fifth Sunday after Pentecost | 28 June 2015 on Vimeo
Old 06-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #196
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
So, here's the thing about "letting the democratic process play out" and "state's rights":

We don't get to vote on whether people can exercise their fundamental constitutional rights. Nor do states get to abridge those rights.

Marriage isn't a fundamental constitional right. its defined by states.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:27 AM   #197
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And tax and financial implications. A group of married people could set up tax shelters, avoid estate taxes, pick out the best work benefit package among the group and then share that one among everyone.

There are some things to consider. It is an interesting thought exercise.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #198
digamma
Torchbearer

You should re-read the Court's opinion.

edit: directed at tarcone's post.

Last edited by digamma : 06-29-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #199
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Loving v. Virginia.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #200
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

So what happens when one state allows gay marriage, one doesn't, and somebody has to move from one state to another. Do they become unmarried?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote