Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Joey Cheek was a huge surprise to me. That was cool

Didn't read the rules so...

**SPOILER WARNING FROM TUESDAY'S EVENTS**

Very cool.

Here's a great story on Joey Cheek. While a lot of the article is sort of same old, same old crap (we should focus on the good guys, not the "stories") the actual facts and quotes from Cheek are worth the read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter...ory?id=2329588

The newest gold medal speedskater fretted half jokingly before these games about how a 26-year-old would be received when he switched from skater to student and enrolled in college this fall. He self-mockingly worried that he'd be the "dirty old man" around campus.

Steve Levin/WireImage.com
Joey Cheek helped the Americans win their second straight 500-meter race in the games.

Now, Will Ferrell's got nothing on this guy. He's an Olympic champion after being the only 500-meter speedskater to break 70 seconds in two rounds of competition Monday, and he took his 15 seconds of fame to announce in a post-victory news conference that he will donate every penny of the $25,000 he wins from the USOC to refugees in the Darfur region of the Sudan. Cheek also called on his sponsors to match or beat that pledge.

"The best way to thank someone," he said, "is by helping someone else."

Here's your Olympic hero, America. Or maybe we should say, "Here's your boy, Red, White and Blue!"

Amazing how reporters like yours truly chase after the Bode Millers and Michelle Kwans of the world and stories like Cheek's get largely ignored. While Miller had to avoid the media, Cheek came to the pre-Olympic media summit in Colorado Springs and basically sat around waiting for reporters to find him. When a few trickled by, he spent as much time quizzing them about their lives as the scribes asked about his. He disclosed his goal of getting into Harvard, and suggested that it might mean more to him than winning a gold medal. How many pro athletes feel the same? (Besides Ryan Fitzpatrick.)

And it wasn't like Cheek lacked any of the usual myth-making credentials. He won a world championship, just like Miller. He's honest and eloquent and witty, just like Bode. (Cheek recently told USA Today that he planned to major in economics because "I heard that's what gets the girls.") He has a cool backstory, with parents who had little money but did tons of charity work anyway. Joey's mom gave her time to help the homeless and help child victims of abuse. Joey's brother, Michael, remembers waking up on Christmas morning to get a card announcing that an uncle had donated money in his name to a cause.

(To be fair, Miller has a family full of philanthropists and he himself donates time and money to the Special Olympics. But that didn't get many headlines, did it?)

Yet most Americans will only see Cheek's name for the first time now. And if he placed fourth or lower on Monday, most Americans would probably never have heard his name at all.

And it's not like only the media looked past him. Nike did not start a "Get Cheeky" campaign. Harvard, in its infinite wisdom, turned him down for early admission. (Full disclosure: The school did admit this writer. Another error.)

No, Cheek is not a "rebel" or "outspoken," like Miller or fellow speedskater Shani Davis. He's not a made-for-TV movie in the making, like Vonetta Flowers. He has no cool nickname, like "Flying Tomato" Shaun White, and has no matinee idol jaw line, like Chad Hedrick. Cheek describes himself as "geeky." He's an everyman, a guy you'd like to grab a beer with. That makes for good company, but not good ink.

Too bad.

But he won the nation's attention for a few minutes Monday because he moves really fast in circles on steroid-addled razor blades and now he's diverting that attention to this Web site: righttoplay.org.

Too good.

Maybe Harvard will now admit the guy. Maybe Nike will spend a bit more time on this particular client in the coming days. Maybe cameras will peel off of Rick Tocchet coverage and travel to Chad to cover Joey surveying the genocide there.

And maybe next time, in Vancouver, we'll all work harder to zero in on the athletes with intentions beyond winning and earning and sounding off. Hint: They'll say things like:

"My parents always instilled in my brother and I to be good people."

"I've always felt that if I ever did something big like this I wanted to be prepared to give something back."

"I skate around ice in tights. It's not that big a deal."

Except it is. Cheek's gold medal weighs just as much as any won by the names you've seen in commercials or on NBC. And, thank goodness, his impact might be much heavier.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:50 PM   #202
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
My wife is loving the woman's half-pipe, because they do little dances when they finish.

Granted there are a lot of odd Olympic events, but I find it very hard to accept any X-Game event as an Olympic event. There's just something about the half-pipe that just doesn't ring true for me. I guess it's a good way for us to keep our medal count high.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #203
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm a bit less than impressed with the goalkeeping in this USA/Finland women's game- there are 30 footers going in and too many cheap, little goals. It's like watching the NHL All-Star game.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:52 PM   #204
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hot damn. What do i watch now? Women's curling on MSNBC or cross country skiing and luge on NBC? Luge is tempting but curling was really fun to watch yesterday... decisions, decisions.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-14-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #205
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Ok, my wife is absolutely enthralled with curling. She wants to know: Are there any curling rinks in the USA where she can try learning this sport? (Yes, she is serious.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:58 PM   #206
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

In the US, I'm sure. But I don't think you'll be seeing one in Louisiana any time soon. On that line of thought, maybe you have an in to convince her to move elsewhere. Granted, you'd have to move to Minnesota or something like that, but you can dangle curling as a carrot for her to move.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:01 PM   #207
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
In the US, I'm sure. But I don't think you'll be seeing one in Louisiana any time soon. On that line of thought, maybe you have an in to convince her to move elsewhere. Granted, you'd have to move to Minnesota or something like that, but you can dangle curling as a carrot for her to move.

She says she doesn't like curling enough to move for it. However, she wants us to see if we can build a rink down here

I thought about the climate issue right after I hit reply. I don't even think there are any ice skating rinks down here.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:03 PM   #208
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Ok, my wife is absolutely enthralled with curling. She wants to know: Are there any curling rinks in the USA where she can try learning this sport? (Yes, she is serious.)

We were watching curling at dinner last night and also this morning for a little while (in between the opthamologist and court - it's been a fun day!), it actually looked kind of cool. I'm not sure of all the rules and strategies yet, and I still think it's one of the silliest "sports" I've ever seen, but it does have some entertainment value.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:06 PM   #209
MIJB#19
Coordinator

So, when does the women's 500 metres speed skating get aired on NBC Eastern, so I can vent my emotions on that event?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #210
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Living next to Canada as I do now, we get curling occasionally on the CBC, usually one of their national tournaments. I've watched enough times that I generally understand how it all flows together and why certain actions were taken during the course of an end. I don't understand well enough to see what to do in foresight (things like when to go for a takeout or set up a guard or things like that), but the basic concepts aren't too complicated. You could always Google it and probably come up with the most Canadian sites you could ever find in any Google site that doesn't have anything to do with hockey or hating George Bush or the United States.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:10 PM   #211
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
So, when does the women's 500 metres speed skating get aired on NBC Eastern, so I can vent my emotions on that event?

Not until sometime between 7:00 and 10:30 PM Central Time tonight. Thanks for not posting spoilers
Old 02-14-2006, 05:12 PM   #212
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
Living next to Canada as I do now, we get curling occasionally on the CBC, usually one of their national tournaments. I've watched enough times that I generally understand how it all flows together and why certain actions were taken during the course of an end. I don't understand well enough to see what to do in foresight (things like when to go for a takeout or set up a guard or things like that), but the basic concepts aren't too complicated. You could always Google it and probably come up with the most Canadian sites you could ever find in any Google site that doesn't have anything to do with hockey or hating George Bush or the United States.

She has already googled and bookmarked several sites. She has read up on the rules. She is reading up on strategies. It could be due to the fact that she has been home sick with the flu, but I've never seen her take such an interest in a sport (that wasn't figure skating.)
Old 02-14-2006, 05:12 PM   #213
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Granted there are a lot of odd Olympic events, but I find it very hard to accept any X-Game event as an Olympic event. There's just something about the half-pipe that just doesn't ring true for me. I guess it's a good way for us to keep our medal count high.

It's more of a sport than figure skating.

Anyway, the curling match today is even better because the Japanese and American womens teams are super hot! I love this game (even if they were ugly) .
Old 02-14-2006, 05:13 PM   #214
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui

Anyway, the curling match today is even better because the Japanese and American womens teams are super hot! .

Yes, they are. I'm glad Mrs. Eaglesfan is enjoying the match
Old 02-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #215
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This is my first curling of these games... how I missed it so!!
Old 02-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #216
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"Speed Skating - Women: The fastest female skaters in the world, including China's Wang Manli, sprint for Olympic gold in the 500m." - It's slated to be part of the 7pm broadcast but there's no telling at exactly what time it'll be on so best to see when people post about it. I'm guessing around 8:30 or 9 CT (so an hour later ET) as that's kindof what they did a couple of days ago when they had speed skating and figure skating on the same day (drag out the figure skating, squeeze everything else around it).

SI

Old 02-14-2006, 05:28 PM   #217
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Alrighty, I will stay away from posting 'spoilers' until the following morning then. Now, as a result, I will have to keep Marianne Timmer in my mind throughout the night.

You are sooooo lucky I'll be on a skiing trip for the rest of the Olympics...
Old 02-14-2006, 06:24 PM   #218
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That Japanese striker (or whatever the term is) is just awesome- she almost never misses.

SI

Old 02-14-2006, 06:25 PM   #219
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
"Speed Skating - Women: The fastest female skaters in the world, including China's Wang Manli, sprint for Olympic gold in the 500m." - It's slated to be part of the 7pm broadcast but there's no telling at exactly what time it'll be on so best to see when people post about it. I'm guessing around 8:30 or 9 CT (so an hour later ET) as that's kindof what they did a couple of days ago when they had speed skating and figure skating on the same day (drag out the figure skating, squeeze everything else around it).

SI

Well... I do enjoy fast women.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:34 PM   #220
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

What an amazing shot!!

SI

Old 02-14-2006, 08:23 PM   #221
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

So I was watching curling on CNBC and there was this ad for some CNBC show where one of the stories was for a curling calender and they showed a picture of some women topless (arms covering up). WTF? A curling calender?

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:31 PM   #222
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
So I was watching curling on CNBC and there was this ad for some CNBC show where one of the stories was for a curling calender and they showed a picture of some women topless (arms covering up). WTF? A curling calender?

Since it is the best sport at the Olympics, I don't see a problem.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #223
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

I caught on to curling during the Salt Lake games and really enjoy watching it. However, I have to mute the USA/Japan women's match today. The Japanese yelling was one of the more annoying things I've ever heard.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #224
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
This is my first curling of these games... how I missed it so!!

We are 'lucky' enough around here to catch it on CBC most weekends during the winter. It looks like something I might enjoy playing, but watching it bores me to tears.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #225
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
I caught on to curling during the Salt Lake games and really enjoy watching it. However, I have to mute the USA/Japan women's match today. The Japanese yelling was one of the more annoying things I've ever heard.

You have to take it for the unintentional comedy of it . Japanese people are funny .
Old 02-14-2006, 10:52 PM   #226
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That curling match between the US and Japan was awesome

I missed the last part because I had to leave but prior to that, the shot in the 10th inning was just pure awesome. It was the equivalent of hitting a solo shot with 2 out, 2 strikes in the 9th to tie.

SI

Old 02-15-2006, 12:28 AM   #227
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You know, I think they're doing some good stuff with the coverage this year. They're showing national anthems from other countries, showing a lot less human interest stuff, and a lot more sports. Unfortunately, I've seen ratings are down so I'm sure they'll mistakenly take that as a sign that these are bad ideas rather than that they are hangover from previous Olympics and because we don't have a stupid figure skating controversy.

SI

Old 02-15-2006, 12:34 AM   #228
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You know, I think they're doing some good stuff with the coverage this year. They're showing national anthems from other countries, showing a lot less human interest stuff, and a lot more sports. Unfortunately, I've seen ratings are down so I'm sure they'll mistakenly take that as a sign that these are bad ideas rather than that they are hangover from previous Olympics and because we don't have a stupid figure skating controversy.

SI

I agree with all of your points. We really enjoyed tonight's coverage.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:53 AM   #229
kingfc22
Head Coach

Love watching curling. I've stayed up til 2 AM the past two nights watching the US teams play. Hey, it's only on TV every 4 years.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:00 AM   #230
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Love watching curling. I've stayed up til 2 AM the past two nights watching the US teams play. Hey, it's only on TV every 4 years.
It's been on MSNBC the last two days from 4-7pm CT

SI

Old 02-15-2006, 01:04 AM   #231
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
It's been on MSNBC the last two days from 4-7pm CT

SI
Yea, saw that US/Japan match today.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:12 AM   #232
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Yea, saw that US/Japan match today.
I missed the end- had to read about it online

Still, I saw the awesome part. It was like seeing that grand slam to tie the game but missing the 10th where the other team put up a 5 spot on singles to win.

SI

Old 02-15-2006, 01:26 AM   #233
saldana
Pro Starter

i am honestly a little bummed that i havent watched any of the curling yet, i enjoy it. i was in montreal last year during some kind of major curling tournament, and it was on for about 5 hours a day, it was the only thing i watched in the hotel room all day.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:10 AM   #234
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(Ok, I missed the primetime stuff tonight because of something else I had to do so I'm just now catching up) I don't care if he just slides across the ice and does a little twirl, give the medal to the guy who did his short program to a James Bond theme with a uniform with a 007 on its back.

SI

Old 02-15-2006, 07:26 AM   #235
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Men's ice hockey starts today!

And I'm once again amazed how my country, top three country in both field hockey and speed skating, can't field a good enough ice hockey team to even qualify for the Olympic Games.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:48 AM   #236
Butter
Coordinator

The US Women's curling team has been fairly awful. They made a great shot to even get to the extra end yesterday, but still ended up blowing it because their "skip" sucks.

But the US Men have been a force. Maybe an Olympic medal could be around the corner? They are one good shot from being 3-0 in the prelims.

I have been TiVoing curling, and think it's probably a similar audience to soccer. It seems like not much is going on for long stretches, but there is a lot of underlying strategy involved that is interesting if you want to take the time to become interested. The end of the ends is very interesting (except for the ones where you're just trying to throw for a blank), and it takes great precision to get where you need to go.

How did the Italy/Canada hockey match end up?
Old 02-15-2006, 08:09 AM   #237
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
I have been TiVoing curling, and think it's probably a similar audience to soccer. It seems like not much is going on for long stretches, but there is a lot of underlying strategy involved that is interesting if you want to take the time to become interested. The end of the ends is very interesting (except for the ones where you're just trying to throw for a blank), and it takes great precision to get where you need to go.
Maybe in the USA, but in traditional soccer countries curling is mocked just as much as it is in the USA. Not start a long discussion, but given the historical interest in the two sports worldwide, I don't think they compare well at all.

Quote:
How did the Italy/Canada hockey match end up?
I thought no spoilers until the evening coverage on the East coast?
It doesn't matter anyway, the game isn't over yet.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:21 AM   #238
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Maybe in the USA, but in traditional soccer countries curling is mocked just as much as it is in the USA. Not start a long discussion, but given the historical interest in the two sports worldwide, I don't think they compare well at all.

Yeah, well you've got me there. I like posting analogies with little or no backup to them. It's like a walrus dressing up in a business suit and buying you lunch. Or maybe it's more like playing with a knife that's already been dipped in the mustard (a Shorty classic).

Is Italy even keeping it close?
Old 02-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #239
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I just saw the one of the most disturbing Olympic things ever on the Today Show. Two man luge.

I wish I still didn't know that existed.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:24 AM   #240
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, well you've got me there. I like posting analogies with little or no backup to them. It's like a walrus dressing up in a business suit and buying you lunch. Or maybe it's more like playing with a knife that's already been dipped in the mustard (a Shorty classic).

Is Italy even keeping it close?
ESPN has a live gamecast on their site for the game if you need to know
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:25 AM   #241
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
ESPN has a live gamecast on their site for the game if you need to know

ESPN likes to spoil the shit out of the other events too.

If anyone wanted to PM me, that would be fine, I'm not intentionally trying to spoil the game for anyone... but I am trying to lay off the Olympic/sports sites.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:51 AM   #242
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
The US Women's curling team has been fairly awful. They made a great shot to even get to the extra end yesterday, but still ended up blowing it because their "skip" sucks.

The plus about the women's team is that they have those two sisters in their mid-20s as their top two... figure, they'll be competing in the next 5-6 Olympics and should be a force by the end of it.

Plus, uh, they're not the hardest pair to look at.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:15 AM   #243
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Tip: Speed Skating Team Pursuit.

Potentially the most exciting speed skating event with a knock-out element. Eight countries, first seeding races, then knock-out trees: 1 vs 8, 4 vs 5, 3 vs 6, 2 vs 7. Time qualification and quarterfinals today (15th), semi's and the finals are tomorrow ( 16th).
Old 02-15-2006, 02:42 PM   #244
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

USA/Latvia hockey on USA right now, at 1st intermission. Pretty frantic pace in the first period.

SI

Old 02-15-2006, 02:54 PM   #245
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
Plus, uh, they're not the hardest pair to look at.
Agree 100% with that one.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:03 PM   #246
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

4pm today: USA vs Italy in curling on CNBC

I'll have to flip between that and hockey, tho the hockey should be getting over not too long after it starts.

SI

Old 02-15-2006, 03:20 PM   #247
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

John! Learn to stop the puck! ARGH?!?!? I mean, nothing... nothing at all.. carry on (man, this game is electric to watch with all the crowd noise)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-15-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:22 PM   #248
kingfc22
Head Coach

Would be nice if we would stop getting trapped in the offensive zone.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #249
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, looks like no night coverage for the hockey game so spoilers are ok as this is the live coverage.

Tonight's schedule, btw:
2006 Torino Games: Primetime
Alpine Skiing - Women: The brightest stars on the American team since Picabo Street, 21-year-olds Lindsey Kildow and Julia Mancuso look to challenge the sport's reigning superstar -- Croatia's Janica Kostelic -- in the women's downhill.
Freestyle Skiing - Men: Reigning World Cup champion Jeremy Bloom leads a strong group of American skiers in moguls.
Speed Skating - Men: Gold-medal winner Chad Hedrick leads the U.S. in the men's team pursuit competition.
Short Track - Women: 500m gold-medal final.
Short Track - Men: Seattle's Apolo Anton Ohno leads the United States in the 5000m relay semifinal and goes for individual gold in the 1000m.
Luge - Men: Team USA's doubles sliders Mark Grimmette and Brian Martin, who won bronze in 1998 and silver in 2002, attempt to become the first American men to win medals at three different Winter Olympics.

SI

Old 02-15-2006, 06:25 PM   #250
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Another close one with the US Curling team on CNBC. Italy up 5-4 after 8 ends.

SI