billgulch
n00b

Here ya go Marc!

marc - e92d39c6278996521f3f262328746b00

billgulch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #52
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Clicking "Initial Draft Strategy" just takes me to the main page for my team. Is this because we aren't started yet?

Uploading a new helmet was a bit confusing, in that you click the button on the upload dialog to apply the helmet to the team, but then you separately need to Save the team data as well for it to actually apply. But I figured it out finally.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #53
billgulch
n00b

Hey Greg!

(I think it should be a bit less confusing on the initial draft strategy thing.. check it out now..)

I think I see what you're saying about "taking you back to the main page". Scroll down a bit; you should see the draft choices under there. I'll see what I can do to make that a little less confusing looking.

I'll put "clean up the change team info" routine on my list.

--Mike

Last edited by billgulch : 03-09-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: ..actually fixed it.. check it out now if you don't mind .. :)
Old 03-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #54
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I see them now, thanks!

And yes, the change team info thing for the helmet bitmap is low priority.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #55
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I will say that the "From the Office" reminder on that main page telling me to set the initial draft strategy is a nice reminder.

(When I mention "push" models around here, that's one of the examples).

Last edited by gstelmack : 03-09-2009 at 01:44 PM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #56
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I see them now, thanks!

And yes, the change team info thing for the helmet bitmap is low priority.

Another low priority item, but I would suggest one or two things on the helmet. 1: put the template for making your own helmet on that page somewhere. 2: way low priority, but perhaps some sort of system where you can upload a transparent gif to go on the helmet. Then choose your helmet fading colors and automagically generate the helmet. The main issue is that you may have account for clipping the image off the edge of the helmet and rotation somehow.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #57
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

dola: Under the discussion dropdown, will it always say "League 15" or will it change? Seems like it should show the actual league name.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #58
Autumn
Head Coach

I see we're filling up. Let's make sure we spread out between divisions. Maybe no more than two per division until we fill it up that much?

I've found things very understandable so far. I see what people have said about the UI, in that it doesn't jump out at me how I'm going to get to things. Like I initially wanted to just see the league, which owners were in, etc. I figured out several ways to get to that screen but I expected something more prominent and central that would show me the league teams. So far I haven't been stuck on anything, and I don't have a suggestion yet how it could be better but I'll think on it.

I've played around wtih my initial draft options and I like that set up. I think it's key that you've got the combination of EZ set up and tech setup and especially that you can combine the two. That's perfect.

My only qualm so far is the Age Factor setting, that varies from 0 to 1 in decimal increments. That's the one part of the draft matrix that seems overkill to me. I feel like it would take a lot of effort and thought for me to be able to use that in any sensible way. Maybe something more intuitive there, allowing you to choose from the spectrum of experienced players. Or just a simple toggle--do you want to care about age, or simply talent? That was the decision I made with it. I'd have no idea whether to set it on .1 or .3 or .5.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #59
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Tennesse Thunderwolves are ready to take a bite out of the Republican South
Old 03-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #60
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I see we're filling up. Let's make sure we spread out between divisions. Maybe no more than two per division until we fill it up that much?

Forgive me for not being an expert in MP play, but would it not be better to fill up divisions with human players? That way you're not just a bunch of people dominating CPU teams (in theory)? Although, then I guess you have a bunch of CPU teams in the playoffs. I just knew I wanted to have Wade as a rival, and be on the east coast (and perhaps not be playing against the creator of the game for my first ever season ).

Quote:
I've found things very understandable so far. I see what people have said about the UI, in that it doesn't jump out at me how I'm going to get to things. Like I initially wanted to just see the league, which owners were in, etc. I figured out several ways to get to that screen but I expected something more prominent and central that would show me the league teams. So far I haven't been stuck on anything, and I don't have a suggestion yet how it could be better but I'll think on it.

Yeah. I wonder if there is, perhaps, a bug. If I go to My Teams > District Stars (Processing) > League Status, it takes me to the list of all leagues. It seems, based on the wording and the URL, that maybe the intention is to take you to DeepRoute.com - Virtual Online Football League / Simulated Football Game - Provided by SimulatedSports.com

Actually, it looks like the problem is that the menu dropdown has "myleagueno" instead of "leagueno".

Old 03-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #61
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgulch View Post

I have the league set to "kick off" after 15 people have signed up. I can reduce that number if need be.

What does "kick off" mean? We're already at 11 and I want to make sure we don't want to increase that number so that people can get their teams setup before the draft.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #62
marcmoustache2
n00b

Quote:
Here ya go Marc!

marc - e92d39c6278996521f3f262328746b00

Thanks!
marcmoustache2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #63
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Can I still get in? I'm on there as pascal.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #64
Thomkal
Head Coach

I've joined, but havent set up a team yet. My account over there is under my Legions screenname, cause that's my main name over at the horseracing game. Figure since I've been so high on the horseracing game, I should finally give the football game a shot.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #65
billgulch
n00b

Hey Guys!

I'll try to check into the things you mentioned and answer your questions later this evening or tomorrow at the latest. I have the league set so it won't start until I tell it to (I'll define roll-over tomorrow as well... ). Until then :

pascal - fe783d0614dae66162ad70c78506058a
legions - dd87af2cc85ceb983bbabc42d73f815d

Thanks guys!

--Mike
Old 03-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #66
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Very nice. Thanks for the setup Mike.

I'm in the Republican West as the Walla Walla Weedeaters.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #67
Autumn
Head Coach

Hopefully it won't be too confusing that I called my team the Racine Legion
Old 03-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #68
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Hopefully it won't be too confusing that I called my team the Racine Legion

heh, not confusing for me cause my team is now the Myrtle Beach Hurricanes
Old 03-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #69
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I don't think anyone answered billgulch's question, but I say we let him in the league. I don't see his name on the list, but it probably should be.

Anyway, all I've done is sign into the site. Should I be creating a team, or waiting until the league starts for that? Or is there something else I'm supposed to do?

Last edited by Passacaglia : 03-09-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #70
gstelmack
Pro Starter

See Bill's instructions above and the keycode he posted for you a few posts up. Grab a team and get your initial draft settings done.

And he's got a team. I joined his division figuring he'd need some company while everyone else avoided that division like the plague...
Old 03-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #71
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

If it's not too late, could I join? karlifornia is my username
Old 03-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #72
Raiders Army
Coordinator

The draft strategy is interesting. It took me a good 15 minutes to figure out how the Techno Drafter works though. I was a little confused about how in the selection column you can set your preferences for Current/Potential and the Age Modifier but they don't correspond to the Weight column for Less Exp/Exp players.

Also experienced is mis-spelled in a couple places:

Quote:
A player's talent is a number between 0 and 99 and based on the player's talent versus other players at his position (the players and their talents will not be seen before the assigning of players takes place). This is the number the game will use when making a determiniation on when to pick a player. For the less experinced groupings, you can choose to "Potential" or "Current." Choosing "Potential" means you would prefer the game to assign this grouping based more on how good those players can potentially (not necessarily!) become. Choosing "Current" means you would prefer the game to assign this grouping more on how good a player currently is. For the experinced groupings, you can select an "AgeMod" This modifier is used to put more emphasis on younger players (as younger players generally have less experience). The modifier is a number between 0 and 1. If 0 is selected, the years of experience a player has played is not factored in (only his "Current Talent" is used). If a number other than 0 is used, you will multiply a player's current talent by the factor :
Old 03-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #73
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yes Mike has some issues with spelling.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #74
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Darn. I missed this. Is there still room?

NeonChaos is my handle.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #75
Thomkal
Head Coach

Anybody got a site where I can get a logo for the Hurricanes? Went looking for the very short lived Myrtle Beach Hurricanes-was there for one season under that name I think in early 90's. But will settle for any other "hurricane themed" logos I can use.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #76
Thomkal
Head Coach

there's still room Neon
Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 AM   #77
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Sweet. I'd like to join

Username: NeonChaos
Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #78
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

As of right now there are still 13 slots available. There may be 1 or 2 teams that have not been claimed but people have asked for (such as Neon Chaos), but there's still plenty of room for people to join in.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #79
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The Melbourne Manatees are in and ready to go.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #80
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

On the Techno Drafter screen I would suggest a slightly different layout (although part of that suggestion is also a functionality change).

My suggestion, first, would be to have a factor for both current and potential rating. Rather than have to choose one, I would suggest making it a factor of both, so that current can still be important, but not as much as potential. Maybe that really isn't a significant difference, though.

Second, I would definitely recommend sliders rather than dropdowns. I think it is much easier to visualize that way, and I would also show the "Factor" as an immovable slider as well (that moves as you change the other slider(s)). (I was going to do a sample but then realized I just don't have time right now )

I am also a little confused as to what options apply to which items. Does current/potential apply to both Experienced and inexperienced QBs? Does agemod apply to only experienced QBs?

I also can't remember the result, but it seemed pretty easy to manipulate an initial draft when I played before.

Quote:
When the assigning of players takes place for a grouping, the team with the highest draft factor (with ties broken at random) for that grouping will be assigned the player that best fits their draft preferences, the team with the second highest draft factor will be assigned their player next, etc. until each team has been assigned one player. At that time, the next pick from that grouping will go to the team with the lowest draft factor for that grouping, the following player will be assigned to the team with the second lowest draft factor for that grouping, etc (this is commonly referred to as a "snake draft").

It seems that an unsuspecting set of drafters could be hoodwinked by someone that sets all their draft factors very high and gets the first pick. Is there anything stopping someone from getting all their draft factors near 100 (or whatever the max is) and picking all first rounders ahead of a bunch of teams that use the EZDrafter?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #81
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
It seems that an unsuspecting set of drafters could be hoodwinked by someone that sets all their draft factors very high and gets the first pick. Is there anything stopping someone from getting all their draft factors near 100 (or whatever the max is) and picking all first rounders ahead of a bunch of teams that use the EZDrafter?

The total amount of all those factors is 1000. It's the number on the far right that matters, and as you increase the weight for a line, every other line's weight drops. There is no way to put them all near 100 and have that benefit you.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #82
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post

Nevermind.

Quote:
You will notice that increasing your Draft Weight for one grouping will simultaniously increase the Draft Factor for that grouping while decreasing the Draft Factor for all other groupings. That is because your Draft Factors, when added together, must equal 1000 (they may appear to add up to slightly more or less due to rounding, but the unrounded version is used when determining the actual order of assignment).

Old 03-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #83
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Having realized that, I think one bar across the top that represents each option would be awesome. With a coloring/bracketing to represent the "total" (or perhaps a pie chart). I think that would be a great way to visualize your weights int he initial draft. As a quick for instance:

Edit: But maybe that doesn't accurately represent what the numbers mean?

Last edited by lordscarlet : 03-10-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #84
billgulch
n00b

In my defense : I actually spell well. I just type poorly. :P

Let me go through the list for today and see what I can address...

* Fixed the upload helmet to attempt to be a little more intuitive
* Added an "empty helmet" template
* Fixed the league discussion board to include the league name (BTW - what does dola mean?)
* Fixed the "league status" to go directly to the league (that was a typo.. lordscarlet was right...)
* Fixed so new league players can't scrimmage yet (since you don't have a team yet..... . That's one of those things I added (scrimmage games) that I needed to do some modding to. There actually may be another change I have to make.. we'll find out once the league kicks in.
* I honestly haven't messed with this initial draft screen since I initiated it.. it is a bit overwhelming...
* Fixed those misspellings..

When I said "kick off", what I mean is that the league is currently "inactive". Once we get a predetermined number of players (I currently have it set to 32), the league will become "active." Once active, it will give you 3 days to modify your draft strategy before running the initial draft.

The AgeMod is only for the experienced players. The "Current / Potential" only applies to the less epxerienced players. Using AgeMod would help keep you from drafting a player high like Brett Favre who is old but still performs at a high level (we won't get into a big "Brett Favre" debate.. :P ). Using Potential over Experience for less experienced players would obviously mean you are focusing on what a guy has the potential to become, not necessarily how good he currently is.

I'll add the "slide bar and pir chart for initial draft" idea to my whiteboard. New leagues are pretty rare (at least right now), but I am hopeful there will be more going forward, so I want this part to be as intuative as possible (given the complexity involved).

..and 2 more passwords :

neonchaos - 1a4cce483fbcc5bc7bcb0a9d4ad023cb
kailifornia - 635aac6be238f61042b3b2352a2bff3a

Hope I covered it all.. let me know if I missed something...

Thanks guys!

--Mike

Last edited by billgulch : 03-10-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: ..fixed some bad formatting...
Old 03-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #85
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Thanks Mike.

The Manila Mayhem have joined.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #86
gstelmack
Pro Starter

We've got most people signed up, so if it's 3 days between active and initial draft, I'd go ahead and kick the league active. That's plenty of time for the slackers to get their team set up and let a couple more trickle in.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #87
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I think I need to have my account changed so I can start another team... This is the message I am getting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (113.6 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by fantom1979 : 03-10-2009 at 11:31 AM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #88
DeToxRox
Head Coach

UTorrent .. WAREZ!
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #89
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, I decided that posting my entire screen was probably not a good idea

Disclaimer: I use uTorrent to download legal files from the interwebs as sanctioned by the the music and movie industries
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #90
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
(BTW - what does dola mean?)

Thanks for your excellent level of responsiveness, Mike.

In return I give you: Dola - FOFC Wiki

Old 03-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #91
billgulch
n00b

Hey Fantom!

I added it so you can sign up for a second team. If that first team was a mistake, I can chuck it.

I am going to set the league to "activate" later today. This will be a good test, as I have changed quite a few of the database layouts.

Thanks again!

--Mike
Old 03-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #92
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Something that is a very low priority suggestion that I have always been fascinated with: Physical location. Actually specifying the lat/long of your stadium, having that visible on a map (of all the teams) and perhaps having timezone shifts/etc affect level of play (the Seahawks/Cardinals effect). A little superfluous, particularly for a game that (I believe) does not take into affect homefield advantage, fan following, etc, but it could be fun.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #93
billgulch
n00b

Good ideas.

I do have "homefield advantage" in the game, but not fan following, travel, etc. Those are things I'd love to add as options eventually. I know not everyone is into that sort of thing for different reasons. But they would make great add on options.

--Mike
Old 03-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #94
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Good ideas.

I do have "homefield advantage" in the game, but not fan following, travel, etc. Those are things I'd love to add as options eventually. I know not everyone is into that sort of thing for different reasons. But they would make great add on options.

--Mike

Yeah, I'm not necessarily into them, but I know they are popular options for people. I think it's one of those things that can tilt toward offering too many options/variables to deal with, particularly with an intricately adjustable playbook. However, I think there are definitely people that are interested in it.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #95
billgulch
n00b

Hey guys!

I had forgotten exactly how long after I tell the thing to draft that it does. It looks like it will take place tomorrow at some time (after noon EST).

If anyone thinks this is too early, I can move it back a day or so. Otherwise, we'll let it do it's stuff and you guys can start messing with the actual game tomorrow.

Just let me know, and thanks again.

--Mike

Last edited by billgulch : 03-10-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #96
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Factor = (1 - Factor / 15) ^ (Years of Experience)

Does this mean

Factor = (1 - AgeMod / 15) ^ (Years of Experience)

?
Old 03-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #97
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah, I was going to ask about that, that's a confusing formula giving Factor twice.

I think perhaps that option should be altered or made intuitive somehow.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #98
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Call me slow, but I just figured something out.

Regardless you get 2 experienced QBs, and 2 less experienced QBs? 3 experienced RB, 3 less experienced RBs? Etc? Hm. Not sure how I feel about that. If I want a veteran team, I don't want to grab 2 inexperienced QBs. You can get a young team by setting the agemod low, but if you want an experienced team it seems that you're wasting half your roster on "less experienced" players. I'm also not sure why you can't tell it to emphasise potential (rather than current) for experienced players. I assume that a 5 year guy still has room to grow? Or am I wrong about that?

Why not have a current/potential and agemod for each position and double the number drafted? Or have the experienced/less experienced breakdown that you have now, and allow people to pick the distrubition of the number of players (4 qbs, 6rbs, etc) or am I completely misunderstanding how this works?

Old 03-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #99
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Does this mean

?
That's how I read it. Factor is only in there once. Agemod is what you enter (0 to 1).

Quote:
Old 03-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #100
billgulch
n00b

First off.. I fixed the factor typo mentioned above. You guys are right.. it should have read AgeMod.

As for the initial draft :

Generally this is just a quick way to distribute players across the league. You are assigned 80 players overall (and will cut down to 45 and 8 before the season starts).

One thing I try to be aware of : I don't want to allow people the ability to get too "cutesy" in the opening draft. I have to be under the assumption that, in newly created leagues, there will be some people that have experience using the draft and playing the game. If some people have experience with it while others don't, the ability to set how many of each players or even define the round positions, etc are taken opens up the potential for odd (and potentially unfair) distributions. I may simply be paranoid, but I know things like that can occur. That's the reason why I force "specific distributions", while trying to allow players to at least somewhat tailor their team to their individual liking.

It's something I'd happily considering changing at some point in the future if it's considered too restrictive, but I'm not sure if it's something I could get around to before the draft runs

--Mike

Last edited by billgulch : 03-10-2009 at 05:17 PM.