Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #551
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I agree thats stupid he can serve it while on the DL. so If a guy is out for the season, why not try to take PEDs to recover faster? its not like you will miss any actual time.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #552
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

You lose money.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #553
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Right, but what's worth more to Volquez: the 100k he will lose, or the ability to bounce back from his injury strong, which would help pump up the value of his arbitration/first contract?
Old 04-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #554
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Right, but what's worth more to Volquez: the 100k he will lose, or the ability to bounce back from his injury strong, which would help pump up the value of his arbitration/first contract?

if he took PEDs in the first place I'm not sure hes smart enough to figure this out.

then again his agent/advisor might point it out to him.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #555
molson
General Manager

Nothing to see here folks, Volquez is just another innocent victim:

"I want to assure everyone that this was an isolated incident involving my genuine effort to treat a common medical issue."
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #556
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Can't think it helps his career at all, considering the guys on the Mets claim he's never even been around any of the players and had no basis for this report.

It didn't hurt Tom Jackson any when he talked out of his rear about how BB had lost the Patriots' locker-room a few years back.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #557
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

"I want to assure everyone that this was an isolated incident involving my genuine effort to treat a common medical issue."

So it's all Mrs. Volquez' fault.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #558
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
but i'm saying he should have to be on the active roster at the beginning of the suspension. and shouldn't be allowed to be moved to the DL during it.

they could easily write a rule covering the spirit of what i'm saying...we don't need to get nitty-gritty about the details.

Do you really want to have teams play fifty or more games with a 24 man roster? That's okay if you do, but the owners and players would never agree to it.

I agree this plays out poorly, but I just can't think of a rule that would get passed that could stop this. Even if you want to say he has to be off the DL it's easy to remove him from the DL and let him rehab off the DL. That might cost a spot on the 40 man, but I'm not sure that he's off that right now anyway.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #559
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

No, that's not what I want.

I'm sure MLB could write the rule in such a way to avoid situations such as this. "The player must appear in one game after the issuing of the suspension before the suspension begins to take effect" being one example of a way they could word it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #560
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

But that's also easy to get around. If I put Volquez in LF for a batter or allowed him to pinch hit that would count as playing a game. The only way I can see this working is writing such a tough rule that the players and owners would never agree to it.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #561
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I'm still skeptical that this is anything but common PED use, but it does raise an interesting question. Should players be allowed access to common and legal infertility treatments that every other person in the US can attain?
Old 04-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #562
molson
General Manager

The problem is that unlike text sims, there's no obvious switch that's flipped when a player is "healthy". That's impossible to put a precise moment on.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #563
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Do you really want to have teams play fifty or more games with a 24 man roster? That's okay if you do, but the owners and players would never agree to it.

I agree this plays out poorly, but I just can't think of a rule that would get passed that could stop this. Even if you want to say he has to be off the DL it's easy to remove him from the DL and let him rehab off the DL. That might cost a spot on the 40 man, but I'm not sure that he's off that right now anyway.

If he's on the 60-day DL (which I believe he is), then yes, he's off the 40-man. But to be activated from the 60-day DL, he'd have to go back ON the 40-man, I believe.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #564
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
But that's also easy to get around. If I put Volquez in LF for a batter or allowed him to pinch hit that would count as playing a game. The only way I can see this working is writing such a tough rule that the players and owners would never agree to it.

This.

You can complain about how bullshit it is, but the reality is there's no way to actually enforce a 50 game suspension on an injured player in a way that isn't exploitable.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #565
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
There was no reason for Davis not to be playing as soon as Daniel Murphy got hurt. He looked good in his debut, 2 for 4 with an RBI.

Davis was taken with the pick the Mets got from the Braves for Tom Glavine. Thank you Frank Wren.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #566
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Glad to see Reyes having a nice day but I really wish he wouldn't swing out of his shoes everytime he tajes a cut. He really is the dumbest ball player I have ever seen.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #567
stevew
Hall Of Famer

well. I think charlie morton sucks. Time to go raid the scrap heap for starters. I'm all for the teardown rebuild. But I thiink you gotta do some one year type rentals. Washburn probably wants 4m. Our payroll is nothing. Fucking do something other than throw Burres out there and shrug your shoulders. Morton is Snell 2.0.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #568
lungs
Pro Rookie

Don't worry Steve, you'll get to the Brewers bullpen eventually. Seven runs is not safe.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #569
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I see the Nats are at it again, down 10-0 to Colorado in the 4th, starter Olsen lasts just two innings.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #570
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Don't worry Steve, you'll get to the Brewers bullpen eventually. Seven runs is not safe.

we may score 7 runs total between now and saturday.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #571
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

In my head-to-head league my buddy had Billingsley and I had Pelfrey... let the shit talking start.

Now, by Friday I will probably be losing but a great start to the fantasy week.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #572
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it.

Fuck it.

Fuck you Dusty Baker.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #573
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

LOL - I don't know why its funny but, the Rangers stole 9 bases off Wakefield and his knuckleball , setting a franchise record for most in a game, and most in an inning - 5, in the 3rd.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #574
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Glaus did something good in an important spot, very surprising.

Heyward <3
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #575
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

And McClouth wins it with a walk-off homer in the 10th. That's a nice way to start the series.

Funny stuff from the Braves in the dugout, they had all disappeared into the tunnel by the time McClouth touched home.

Last edited by Big Fo : 04-20-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #576
Easy Mac

Weird, I had just hit the send button to tweet "Wait, Jose Contreras is still alive?" at the instant that McLouth connected with the ball.

So I guess the obvious answer is "No, Jose Contreras is not actually alive."
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #577
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Sox needed that.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:52 AM   #578
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

John Danks is good.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #579
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I see the Nats are at it again, down 10-0 to Colorado in the 4th, starter Olsen lasts just two innings.

uuuuugh

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #580
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

After today's game, Greinke drops his ERA to 3.28, which is impressive considering how uncharacteristically wild he was last game. Unfortunately, it took the bullpen a whopping 3 hitters to match his 2 base hits given up in 7 innings so that makes 2 wins already that the pen has blown for him this year.

He still isn't looking as sharp as last year. The velocity is down 1-2mph and a cause for concern after the huge workload last year. He only went 66 strikes on 109 pitches today which is still quite wild for him. Just a head's up for anyone who has him on their fantasy team.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #581
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
After today's game, Greinke drops his ERA to 3.28, which is impressive considering how uncharacteristically wild he was last game. Unfortunately, it took the bullpen a whopping 3 hitters to match his 2 base hits given up in 7 innings so that makes 2 wins already that the pen has blown for him this year.

He still isn't looking as sharp as last year. The velocity is down 1-2mph and a cause for concern after the huge workload last year. He only went 66 strikes on 109 pitches today which is still quite wild for him. Just a head's up for anyone who has him on their fantasy team.

SI

Fortunately I have Halladay too.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-21-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #582
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

As if we didn't get the joke with Dusty Baker, apparently the Reds have hired Joe Morgan as a special advisor for baseball operations.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #583
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

... Why, Reds, Why?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #584
Ksyrup

Hopefully that's a full-time position.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #585
Ksyrup

I wonder if they knew this was coming, which is why Hershiser has been with them since the beginning of the year. Now he can just take over for Morgan. Or maybe they were phasing him out, and he took the chance to jump to another gig.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-21-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #586
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

From what I understand he'll still be on ESPN.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #587
Ksyrup

Damn. DOUBLE FAIL.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #588
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I think this Heyward kid might be pretty good.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #589
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

The Cubs are moving $18mil/year Carlos Zambrano to the bullpen.

Really.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #590
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
The Cubs are moving $18mil/year Carlos Zambrano to the bullpen.

Really.

no way - seriously?

zoinks
Old 04-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #591
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

.....What.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #592
lungs
Pro Rookie

And Carlos Silva remains in the rotation?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #593
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
And Carlos Silva remains in the rotation?

He's 1-0 with a 0.69 ERA so far, which hopefully turns into a 1-1 with a 10.00 ERA after the Mets game tonight.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #594
korme
Go Reds

Hey contenders. Ya need a pitcher? Aaron Harang's pretty sexy. Ya want him?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #595
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Hey contenders. Ya need a first baseman? Joey Votto's pretty sexy. You can't have him
Old 04-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #596
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Hey contenders. Ya need a pitcher? Aaron Harang's pretty sexy. Ya want him?

His fastball is just gone. His breaking stuff is still good but because his fastball isn't there anymore, his change is useless. So the guys are looking breaking pitch and catching up with anything else. He needs to realize (coaches too) that he needs to learn to vary speeds now...he's no longer a strikeout pitcher. They can still salvage him if they're willing to adjust his style.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #597
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Hey contenders. Ya need a first baseman? Joey Votto's pretty sexy. You can't have him

I love that you posted this 2 minutes before he fouled off 3,459 pitches and subsequently hit a 2-run shot. Joe V!

edit- actually you probably posted it right after. haha. i just realized i paused the game to get skyline so i'm like 5 minutes behind real time. heh.

Last edited by korme : 04-21-2010 at 06:32 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #598
stevew
Hall Of Famer

maholm and duke, the others make me puke.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #599
JS19
College Prospect

Whew. Hell of a catch by future ROY, MVP, Mets Savior Ike Davis. Thought he was gonna crack his dome as he tumbled over the railing, but he pulled off the flip perfectly.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #600
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

The Cubs are proving that you can't fact, make certain things idiot proof. Wow. Zambrano's not an ace, but the idea that he isn't better than Carlos Silva? My father is better than Carlos Silva!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote