Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #701
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I read lungs' post. I feel better about my desk job.

+1000000

And I grew up with my grandparent's farm an hour from our house.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #702
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Sometimes I hate people in this city (Atlanta). People are pro-actively canceling school for tomorrow or sending people home early and folks are complaining up a storm (no pun intended)!

Yes, its not supposed to be rain/snowing until late this evening, but half of the problem was everyone leaving at once and freaking out... you would think extra caution this time would be preferable to the mess 2 weeks ago!

I'm not mad they are cancelling early, I am just irritated because she is off from school this Friday and next Monday (teacher enrichment and President's day) so we'll be trapped at home with an active 4.5 year old for a week.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #703
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I'm not mad they are cancelling early, I am just irritated because she is off from school this Friday and next Monday (teacher enrichment and President's day) so we'll be trapped at home with an active 4.5 year old for a week.

Welcome to the issues most of the rest of us have been facing for 6 weeks now. I'm not sure when the last full week of school has been.

Like Steam?

Old 02-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #704
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Sometimes I hate people in this city (Atlanta). People are pro-actively canceling school for tomorrow or sending people home early and folks are complaining up a storm (no pun intended)!

Yes, its not supposed to be rain/snowing until late this evening, but half of the problem was everyone leaving at once and freaking out... you would think extra caution this time would be preferable to the mess 2 weeks ago!

Nah, you knew better than that

People want something to bitch about waaaaay more than they want stuff to actually work out okay.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #705
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Favorite tweet on the incoming Icemeggedon:

Glenn Burns @GlennBurnsWSB 1h Diffiicult forecast. South metro could see worst ice storm in 10-20 years, or could be a total bust if temps remain above freezing.

There are some models showing the possibility of 1-1.5 inches of ice. That's just not what you want.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-10-2014 at 06:02 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #706
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

were forcast an inch of rain, but that means 7-8 inches snow if it drops a tiny bit... i aint got shit to do! bring the snow.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #707
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Forecasting here has been almost impossible. The only thing anyone seems to know for sure is that something will fall from the sky from Tuesday night until Thursday morning and that if it were summer, it'd probably be worth about 1-2" of rain. After that, no idea who's getting what. Anything from a foot of snow to two inches of ice seems possible depending on which part of the area you're in. The generally accepted forecast right now is heavier snow amounts north and west towards the Greensboro area with everything a messy mix as you work south and east from there. The further south and east, the more ice in the mix until it gives way to rain along the coast. Raleigh seems to be in line for some snow-ice layer sandwich where it'll be about 3-6" of snow with perhaps a half inch of ice thrown in just to make things interesting.

Gonna be a fun few days.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #708
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Virtually all the schools (including UGA) around us have closed pre-emptively for tomorrow ... but us & 2 other small privates have made no call & are presumably going to at least start the day on Tuesday.

Here's where that gets interesting though ... the local sheriff's department basically called out our school -- publicly -- for remaining open since we're on the route that every 18-wheeler being detoured off I-85 will be hitting, there's already significant truck traffic both flowing past the school & starting to park along the roadside as they pack it in for the night.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #709
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Nah, you knew better than that

People want something to bitch about waaaaay more than they want stuff to actually work out okay.

*sigh* You are soooooo correct on this one. People complaining about Decatur City School closing even though they were one of the last ones tonight to do so... ugh.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #710
Suicane75
Coordinator

The forecasts and model runs have been all over the place on this one. I've seen blizzard/snow to rain/20+inches/4inches. And that's just today.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #711
PilotMan
Head Coach

Here is the map from Wxrisk, otherwise known as wade's weather boy. He has been pretty solid all winter so far. This looks like an incredible storm. I'll be safe and sound at home for this one.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 02-11-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #712
Blackadar
Retired

I'm getting the hell out of DC and flying home to Charlotte tonight before the bulk of this hits.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #713
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

looks like it will be just south of me, for now
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #714
King of New York
High School Varsity

PilotMan, thanks for posting that map.

Although now I am quaking in fear.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #715
Easy Mac

Already had 1.5-2" of snow on the ground when I left for work 2 hours ago. Have to imagine it's doubled since then.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #716
britrock88
Pro Starter

Amazing that this kind of winter hits the southeast just over a year after I move to the tundra of the northern great plains... has just been cold (0 degrees +- 10) without any precipitation for a couple weeks.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #717
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

btw, just ftr, they finally closed my kid's school today ... at 515am

SMDH.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #718
lungs
Pro Rookie

-23 this morning.
This beard isn't a fashion statement:
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #719
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
btw, just ftr, they finally closed my kid's school today ... at 515am

SMDH.
They delayed us last week by 2 hours and then finally gave the cancelation notice at about 8. Seriously fuck off at that point, kids had to be starting to get ready as I imagine the busing starts around then(6am on a non delayed day)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #720
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

wow, that map is messed up! were between 12 and 14 inches!

weather.com says 4-6 wed night, and 4-8 thursday AM.... well have 1 inch max.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #721
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looks like I'm not going to get much of anything. I live in the 3rd PA county from the top on the OH border and drive up to the corner county(Erie) and the next one over(Erie). The WXRisk maps are pretty legit all winter. It's amazing how bad most of the "normal" weather reporting stuff gets.

Last edited by stevew : 02-11-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #722
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I shit you not. My kids went in on a 1 hour delay (at 9:30 in my sons case...8:45 in my daughters.) Then at 10 they called to say they were dismissing early at 11:00 and 12:15. The 2 schools are 3.5 miles apart and we dont get bus service where we live. The secretary actually copped an attitude when I signed my son out early so I didnt have to make 2 trips.

SMH
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #723
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You should have told her to checkedy check yourself before you wreck yourself.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #724
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
-23 this morning.
This beard isn't a fashion statement:

Awesome.

FWIW.....all you stories/pics take me back to my childhood when I spent two weeks on the farm each summer helping out my grandparents. Got to do all the stuff that you're talking about. They lost their farm when it all went south in the '90s, but it was a lot of fun and a great learning experience. Everyone should get to experience farm life.

Back to your regularly scheduled ice terror.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #725
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
The secretary actually copped an attitude when I signed my son out early so I didnt have to make 2 trips.

Sounds like not much has changed since I was a kid

I'm not sure if I've seen too many job titles that scream "expect someone drunk with power" more than School Secretary.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #726
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I was told "You HAVE to wait until the entire school is dismissed. We can not let any children leave early."

My response, "Are you telling me that I can not get my child from school? That you are keeping him here against my will."

"Those are the rules" she replied
"I'm going to need to talk to Mr Snelling." (the principal and my former HS DL coach)
"I'll make an exception and call him because Mr Snelling is too busy to be bothered with this."
"Thank you so much."(under my breath "you fucking cunt")
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #727
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

WXRisk is at his bitchy best with this storm. He's been sniping at meteorologists and commentors for the past couple of days.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #728
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
WXRisk is at his bitchy best with this storm. He's been sniping at meteorologists and commentors for the past couple of days.

agreed it's been quite entertaining.

Like Steam?

Old 02-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #729
Blackadar
Retired

Man I hope I can time this right. Charlotte right now is having major delays due to ice. I think this round of moisture is supposed to move off and I hope my flight can sneak in before the next round or I'm totally fucked.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #730
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Reminds me so much of one of my favorite teenage stories.

My grandfather picked me up early my 8th grade year, back in the day when the ACC tourney started with a game around noon. GT sucked at that point so they played the early game usually, I was going home to watch the tournament.

Keep in mind, he was basically a much older version of me in a lot of ways

The following exchange was a classic:

Him: "I'm here to pick up Jonathan"
Secretary Stuck Up Bitch From Hell: "Okay ... is he leaving?"
Him: "Because I'm here to pick him up"
Her: "But why?"
Him: "because I'm his grandfather"
Her: "Yes, but why is he leaving"
Him "Because I'm here to pick him up ... and Godda**** that's all you need to know. Now are you going to call him or am I going to go find him?"

Bitch never gave me the slightest amount of shit ever again
Old 02-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #731
britrock88
Pro Starter

You mean, they didn't let you watch the ACCT in school like the rest of us?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #732
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
You mean, they didn't let you watch the ACCT in school like the rest of us?

I'm old, we were still new to the conference at that point
Old 02-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #733
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So, we had temps in the 20s on Friday here in Austin. Then on Saturday and Sunday, the highs were near 70. Back to highs in the 30s yesterday and today. Projected temps in the mid-70s starting on Friday. My sinuses are not happy with the situation.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #734
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I was told "You HAVE to wait until the entire school is dismissed. We can not let any children leave early."

My response, "Are you telling me that I can not get my child from school? That you are keeping him here against my will."

"Those are the rules" she replied
"I'm going to need to talk to Mr Snelling." (the principal and my former HS DL coach)
"I'll make an exception and call him because Mr Snelling is too busy to be bothered with this."

I would have a pretty serious issue with anyone who told me I can't pick my own kid up from school whenever the fuck I want to.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #735
GrantDawg

When exactly did Gov. Deal and Mayor Reed become such good friends?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #736
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
When exactly did Gov. Deal and Mayor Reed become such good friends?

Been that way from nearly the get go I believe. Each is sort of the others "cover". He eases things for Deal with the in-town crowd on the left, Gov eases things for him (and his larger aspirations) statewide.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #737
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So, we had temps in the 20s on Friday here in Austin. Then on Saturday and Sunday, the highs were near 70. Back to highs in the 30s yesterday and today. Projected temps in the mid-70s starting on Friday. My sinuses are not happy with the situation.

After the ice storm from Hell, we go to the 60s this weekend and next week. So utterly strange.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #738
PilotMan
Head Coach

WxRisk updated his last call maps today:

Like Steam?

Old 02-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #739
wade moore
lolzcat

Glad to see wxrisk has survived around here in my absence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #740
PilotMan
Head Coach

I find his information very helpful in my job. It may seem odd, but all commercial pilots are fairly well versed in meteorology. Like on a level that you just wouldn't expect.

His information is always very useful in planning my commute to work and back home again. I don't have to worry so much about flight planning anymore, but the question of "what's going to happen next week" is always there.

Like Steam?

Old 02-12-2014, 03:50 AM   #741
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Our oldest attends a small private school in Charleston County. Her school's official inclement policy is to follow the Charleston County School District's decisions. CCSD announced yesterday morning that they'd make a decision at 2pm. At 2pm, they announced that they were going to remain open, making them the only district in our vicinity to be open.

Just woke up to find out that at 9:45pm last night they switched gears and decided to close today. I haven't seen the slightest change in the forecast, either.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:13 AM   #742
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like they got cold feet.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:30 AM   #743
Easy Mac

Got 2.75" yesterday. Now they're calling for a foot plus ice. This should be fun.

Thankfully I got to sleep in... Oh wait, they didn't cancel work until 10 minutes ago, and since I have a long commute, I've already been up for an hour.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:07 AM   #744
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Our oldest attends a small private school in Charleston County. Her school's official inclement policy is to follow the Charleston County School District's decisions. CCSD announced yesterday morning that they'd make a decision at 2pm. At 2pm, they announced that they were going to remain open, making them the only district in our vicinity to be open.

Just woke up to find out that at 9:45pm last night they switched gears and decided to close today. I haven't seen the slightest change in the forecast, either.

My son goes to a charter school and while they generally follow the district that it is in, they also consider that parents come from as much as 20-40 miles to drop off their kids at school. So if it's bad weather up north (and not so bad in the south where the school is), they will still cancel. The good thing is that they built in about 5-6 snow days a year, unlike the regular schools where they are having to make them up.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #745
GrantDawg

Trees are popping like shotguns around the house right now. We got about a quarter inch of sleet on the ground, with freezing rain sleet and snow all mixing in together. The trees are already starting to bend. And they're saying we could have an inch of ice accumulation.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-12-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #746
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Trees are popping like shotguns

Title track from Jim Cantore's debut rap album.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #747
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Sounds like they got cold feet.

I think you forgot the

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #748
Thomkal
Head Coach

We were supposed to get more ice from the last storm in Myrtle Beach a couple weeks ago, but right now seems like we are getting more-couple big branches down here and across the street-thankfully our power lines are all underground here so don't have to worry too much about power outages. Some reports are saying an inch or more of ice around Columbia-glad I'm not there.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #749
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Title track from Jim Cantore's debut rap album.

I LOL'd. First video is him kicking guys out of his live shot.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #750
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This is just almost weird here in Athens. Virtually no snow, maybe a 1/4" of sleet just sitting on the ground, now being covered in a light but steady freezing rain.

The words "biblical" and "catastrophic" are getting used a LOT and I'm starting to understand why.