Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

It might be time to move this team up from 2A-1A

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/highs...ory?id=3087983

Quote:
SMITH CENTER, Kan. -- Smith Center scored 72 points in the first quarter of a high school football game Tuesday night on the way to an 83-0 win over Plainville, according to a report in the Salina, Kan., Journal.

Smith Center forced six turnovers in the first quarter as it racked up what is believed to be a record for points in a quarter by a high school team, the paper reported. The previous record was 66 by Prescott, Ariz., in 1925.

The defending state champion has outscored its opponents 640-0 so far this season, including a 69-0 win over Plainville earlier this year.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

640-0?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

I like how they went up 72-0 in the 1st quarter and still shut them out. Imagine the defense they are putting on the field, that no team has even gotten a FG yet. Very Impressive.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder how they would do against the Dolphins and Rams?

(just a joke people, don't give me a serious answer about how they would get their ass handed to them)
Old 10-31-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

The Pats should take notes. Up 72-0 after one quarter, and only win 83-0. Don't need to run up the score.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

They need a mercy rule. If your winning by more then 49 then game over.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I wonder how they would do against the Dolphins and Rams?

(just a joke people, don't give me a serious answer about how they would get their ass handed to them)

YOU SOB! All this Dolphin hate. Any other team can go winless after 8 games and nothing is said. As soon as Miami does it, it a big deal. Nobody made this big of a deal when Tampa was going 0 for whatever

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-31-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

I believe they have a mercy rule similar to the one in FL. Once a team goes up by 30 (or maybe it's 40), the losing coach can request a running clock that only stops during timeouts.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

Quote:

But that's when backups get to play (presumably).

Mercy rules are ridiculous. I'm waiting for the study that shows that someone's life is negatively effected by losing by 80 instead of 60. Plus, a "Mercy Rule" loss is a bigger blow to the psyche than actually playing out the games.

On the other hand, in football, if tempers are starting to flare, etc, the referee should have the discretion to pull the plug in a blowout game.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The fact that you have to often travel to play another school, makes me think a mercy rule is a waste. We might get pummeled, but I'd rather stay and play than not. In little league, it makes sense because it's not a competitive school sport, but an insular league often of kids from the same neighborhoods and stuff.

Not that high school sports couldn't be that, but...I know I'd much rather have played than get on the bus after getting waxed 50-0. Who says we can't score 50 in the 2nd half. We'll never know, but..I'd rather get the chance than to get "mercy" and sent home early.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Would suck if your HB needed just 11 yards to break the school record for yards in a game, yet scores a 10 yard TD to put the team up by 49 and it's game over.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:12 PM   #11
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Well I don't know it just seems a little harsh to blow out a team that bad.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:22 PM   #12
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Well I don't know it just seems a little harsh to blow out a team that bad.

I am not so sure that it is not harsher on the adults involved than it is on the kids.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:23 PM   #13
molson
General Manager

Remember that autistic kid that threw in like 800 3-pointers during garbage time in a high school basketball game?

Wouldn't have happened with a mercy rule.

And there's plenty of similar, non-newsworthy instances of that kind of thing.

It's not always about winning and losing - cutting short the already limited experience of someone's high school athletic careeer just isn't a good idea.

Last edited by molson : 10-31-2007 at 06:28 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:50 PM   #14
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

We scored 104 in a JV game when I was in HS...

But no more 35 in a quarter
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:11 PM   #15
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
But that's when backups get to play (presumably).

Mercy rules are ridiculous. I'm waiting for the study that shows that someone's life is negatively effected by losing by 80 instead of 60. Plus, a "Mercy Rule" loss is a bigger blow to the psyche than actually playing out the games.

On the other hand, in football, if tempers are starting to flare, etc, the referee should have the discretion to pull the plug in a blowout game.

If anything, it's something they'll be able to laugh about at their reunion.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:10 PM   #16
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Worst loss I was ever involved in was 70something - 0. They actually took it easy on us.

Is this team one that picks and chooses its players, getting them to come play for them or just a regular high school?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:49 PM   #17
Groundhog
Coordinator

In my last year of high school ball we beat a team 121-0 and 131-2. We had 3 players with triple doubles in the second game.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:51 PM   #18
JeeberD
General Manager

This thread is about football, Groundhog...

Shutting out a team in hoops is very impressive, though.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:10 AM   #19
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
This thread is about football, Groundhog...

Shutting out a team in hoops is very impressive, though.

Well, slightly less impressive if you'd seen our opponents, who I'm not sure had ever played organised basketball before the tournament.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:11 AM   #20
miami_fan
Coordinator

More in depth story

Quote:
You expected to hear joy in Roger Barta's voice. You expected the Kansas high school football legend to pick up the phone and start bragging about his team's latest accomplishment: the most dominating first quarter anyone has ever played.

Instead, you find a man who is uncomfortable. Uneasy. Almost embarrassed.

Barta, the head football coach at Smith Center (Kan.) High had encouraged his team to get off to a fast start in Tuesday night's Class 2-1A playoff opener against Plainville. Apparently, they listened. The fans had barely settled in their seats, and Smith Center was defeating Plainville 72-0.

And there were still 30 seconds left in the opening quarter.

The defense had recovered five fumbles and intercepted a pass, returning it for a touchdown. The offense had run 15 plays -- all but one a run -- and scored eight times. Six different players had reached the end zone. And his team had converted all nine two-point conversion attempts.

"I didn't think it was nearly as entertaining as some folks did," said Barta, himself a Plainville graduate. "I guess it's a record or something, but not one that we're proud of. We're not here to embarrass kids. We're not here to run up the score. We want our kids to play hard and get ready for the next round of the playoffs. This just sort of happened. And once it started, I didn't know what to do."

In the first quarter, Smith Center scored on touchdown runs of 50, 9, 38, 20, 3, 25 and 60 yards. They returned an interception 33 yards for a touchdown and threw for a 14-yard touchdown, the only pass they completed in the game. According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, the 72 first-quarter points is a national high school record, breaking the mark of 66 set by Prescott (Ariz.) High School in 1925.

But the record didn't make Barta any more comfortable about a game his team eventually won 83-0. The coach said he did everything he could to keep the score down while making sure his starters got enough reps to prepare for the next round of the playoffs.

Barta pulled his first-team offense midway through the first quarter and his first-team defense at the end of the first half. Though he went for a two-point conversion after every Smith Center touchdown, he told his players after a second-quarter score that no one else would be crossing into the end zone. If a player got close to the goal line, Barta said, he was to fall at the 5-yard line to set up a field-goal attempt. It happened twice. The team attempted one field goal on first-and-goal from the 1-yard line.

Helping Smith Center's cause -- at least, as soon as the cause became a way to stop the madness -- was a Kansas mercy rule that allows the clock to run continuously once there is a 40-point margin between two teams.

Plainville head coach John Petrie said he has no ill will toward Barta or Smith Center for the way things went down. The Cardinals were playing without several key players, including their quarterback, who was injured the last time these two teams played.

"It's our job to try and stop them," Petrie said. "And we couldn't do it. By any means was he running up the score? No. It's just one of those deals. When you're on a hot streak, do you stop it? Of course not.

"There are absolutely no hard feelings. Roger has been around a long time and is a class act. This thing just snowballed on us and there was nothing we could do to stop it."

The top two teams in each division advance to the playoffs, and Plainville, despite its 4-5 record, finished second in Class 2-1A's District 12 where they matched up with the winner of District 11, Smith Center.

Smith Center, a 2-1A school of about 150 students in north central Kansas, is known for its high school football. In 30 years at Smith Center, Barta has compiled a record of 269-58. His teams have won six state championships, including each of the past three. The Redmen are currently on a 50-game winning streak, and this year they've outscored their nine opponents by an average margin of 71-0 and a total score of 640-0. They have yet to punt.

So the final score against Plainville perhaps isn't all that shocking. In fact, Petrie told the Wichita Eagle before the game that "they might beat us by 70 points."

But nobody thought they'd do it in the first quarter.

"I don't know if anybody can score on them," Petrie said. "Slow them down, I guess maybe. But I'm not sure anybody is going to be able to cross the goal line. They're just that good."

As long as Barta has been at Smith Center, the offense has centered on a power rushing attack. The Redmen were 2-for-3 passing Tuesday night, with one touchdown. Fourteen different backs handled the football, impressive in itself considering the team was without its top two running backs, both of whom are out for the season with torn knee ligaments.

"I've never taken a shotgun snap in my life," quarterback Joe Windscheffel said. "We just play power football. And when you look at what our backs do, you have to give credit to the offensive line."

Tad Felts, who has broadcast high school and college games in the area for more than 20 years, called an eight-man game last week that finished with a final score of 84-82. But that didn't stun him nearly as much as the first-quarter score of the 11-man game he called Tuesday night.

"I've never seen something like it," Felts said. "No one has. And now people on the outside are asking if he ran up the score while people on the inside are concerned that [Coach Barta's] first-teamers aren't getting enough game action to stay sharp."

With Tuesday's victory, Smith Center advances to the next round of the playoffs, where the Redmen will face St. John High School on Saturday. For Petrie, who is in just his second year as Plainville's head coach, the quest to bounce back begins now. The coach said he had several students approach him Wednesday morning, eager to join the team next season in hopes of preventing something like this from happening again. He found their enthusiasm encouraging.

"Right now, for a lot of our kids, things look pretty dim," Petrie said. "But it's our job to put this in perspective. I told them after the game -- this is probably the worst thing that's ever happened to many of them. But you know what? If that's the worst thing they ever have to go through, they're going to be in pretty good shape. It's going to take time, but they'll soon realize the sun is going to come up again."

Wayne Drehs is a senior writer for ESPN.com. He can be reached at [email protected].

Has a winning coach ever been in more pain in a game?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:02 AM   #21
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

It sucks to be the punter.. No football scholarship to college for him!
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:30 AM   #22
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
It sucks to be the punter.. No football scholarship to college for him!

Perhaps they didn't need to go for 2 after every score...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #23
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
Perhaps they didn't need to go for 2 after every score...

Perhaps they did. Maybe the punter is also the kicker. No game experience. Figured they had a better shot of converting a 2 than a 1. sad really.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #24
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Perhaps they did. Maybe the punter is also the kicker. No game experience. Figured they had a better shot of converting a 2 than a 1. sad really.

Sure, I know a lot of teams' m.o. is to always go for two, if they don't have a kicker with experience. And it's okay to do that while the game was competitive. But, once the game was in hand, wouldn't it have been good to give the kicker (or a kicker candidate) some game time experience in a low-pressure environment?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:46 AM   #25
Anthony
Banned

i agree that Mercy Rules limit the amount of playing time a backup/scrub would get. garbage time is normally reserved for those types of players.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:46 AM   #26
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Sure, I know a lot of teams' m.o. is to always go for two, if they don't have a kicker with experience. And it's okay to do that while the game was competitive. But, once the game was in hand, wouldn't it have been good to give the kicker (or a kicker candidate) some game time experience in a low-pressure environment?
School of 150. Might not even have a kicker.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:14 AM   #27
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:

Yup, after being up by three TD's, you should give the kicker some work.