Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
PilotMan
Head Coach

Punishment Inc.

Well, today is the day. After all the planning and heartache, blows to the head and now it comes to this. There is an excitement that is flowing through my body that I have not felt since the title shot. But that was years ago. I am Bucky Mason, but I am better known by my fighting name as Bucky the Bull. I was a heavyweight contender back in ‘90. I did get a title shot but that didn’t last too long. The fight was short and sweet, not sweet for me, but it did change my life.

Following the knockout, I was a different fighter, I had gotten to realize my dream, and I realized that I would never get to again. I slacked off, lost some more fights, and instead of trying to climb the mountain to get back to the top, I slid down. Hard.

Boxing became a way to make money and support myself. I was a named fighter and commanded respect from the up and comers, until they realized that I didn’t take the sport seriously anymore. At best I was a journeymen. I knew so much more about the sport than other guys did. I spent some time with the bottle, and lost a couple of years off my life. Tactically, I was sound. It was the physical side that I faltered on.

That brings me to where I am today. I have cleaned my life up, and found that I do indeed love this sport. It is my intention to find my way back to the top. Not as a fighter though, that time has passed me by. I was laying in bed, thinking back to that fated fight. Analyzing what I did, watching the tapes, and telling myself that I could do better. I had mulled the idea of going back to the gym to work out, but didn’t really appeal to me either. I did go back though.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:33 AM   #2
PilotMan
Head Coach

What did I find when I went back. I found out that the kids are a lot bigger than they were in my day. I found out that I am still a pseudo-celebrity in the world of boxing, at least in this neck of the woods. I found out that I was studying these kids, and what I found was that some of them had real skills, and that some of them had a legit shot to go. This business is so corrupt that some of these kids could be spit out before they even get a chance to go to the top. An idea was hatching in my head.

I ran to the bank. I had come into a bit of money after the death of my father. He had done well speculating in the stock market in the 90's, and that coupled with some gambling winnings had wound up being in the neighborhood of two million dollars.

In the end, that is how Punishment Inc. came into being. Punishment Inc is my little project. I know that I have what it takes to get back to the top, not as a fighter, but as a manager.

Like Steam?

Old 07-10-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
PilotMan
Head Coach

I am not sure how this is really going to go. I have gotten away from UHB for a while, and I always said that as soon as I had my laptop I would run a new dynasty. I am not an overly gifted writer so the whole first person thing may prove to be difficult. I will do my best and hold out as long as I can.

I am using an older game called World Championship Boxing Manager, or WCBM for short. It is not the same as the old VGA boxing game. The game starts out with a boatload of fighters and I have opted to start with an empty stable and lots of fighters. Historical fighters are also included and they are at different points in their careers. There is one title for each of the 8 weight divisions and about 200 fighters for each weight class. Intermixed with the historical fighters are the fictional fighters.

The point of the game is to find and sign fighters, set fights and raise my reputation to get top ranked fighters to come to my stable, and to make it into the Hall of Fame.

If anyone has any questions let me know.

Like Steam?

Old 07-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

Feb 2005

The business is off to a slow start guys. I spent all of last month scouring the gyms and talking to fighters. I was rejected more times than you can count. I threw a little bit down on some sure things and made an extra 40 grand. Every little bit helps. At the end of the month we had our first 2 fighters to join Punishment Inc.

The first is a middleweight who is currently ranked #97 in the world. I see in him a load of potential, but he has been abused to this point in his career and I really don’t know if he has what it takes to get back to the top. Lawrence McFarlane was the first to sign on. His record as of right now is 10-7-0 (10). He is an aggressive, come at you fighter who has great power and at his will can unleash a barrage of punches that I haven’t seen for a long, long time. He could be great! Will he? I have no idea. I sent him to the training room right off the bat, and am in the process of trying to get him a descent fight. The thing with Lawrence is that his confidence is shaken really bad. He has taken some tough losses and is not in very good shape either. He is going to take a gentle hand. He has signed on for 6 fights, at a cost of over 700,000 dollars. His contract could be very lucrative if he can get some wins, or we get into a position where money is important.

The other fighter to join my young stable is a lightweight. Omar Acevedo is a rookie. He is a local kid who is going to make his debut with me. He has also signed on for 6 fights. Omar has solid skills, but his chin is a real question. He is also what you might call a dirty fighter. Harry Greb would approve of his tactics. I found him in the gym sparring with some big guys, and let me tell you he can hit. Not quite the ring general that you might desire, but I am hoping that he will put on a good show, and let his punches fly.

Neither of these guys really has what it takes to be the champ, but I gotta start somewhere. Besides, I can really only go up.

Like Steam?

Old 07-11-2005, 09:15 PM   #5
PilotMan
Head Coach

The fights are booked! My fighters have their first opponents. Both fights will be in the middle of March of this year. I have focused both fighters training on roadwork, and general training. That will be mixed with some sparring and some ring generalmanship training. My hopes are that we will win both of these fights. That would be good for the stable as well as getting off on the right foot in general.

I had a good night at the fights this week, even though I lost 60 grand on a "sure thing". Stupid fucker is 18-0 and fights a 7-7 guy, decides to cruise through the fight and it ends in a majority draw.

The other fight that I had staked was 50 grand on a fight beween 2 rookies. I liked the odds and went for the longshot at 3-1. He paid and I came away with 150k. That will help with the training camp expenses for sure.

McFarlane(M) will be facing Michael Lack. He is an experienced fighter who has a record of 16-33-1 (5). He recently came off of a draw against Frank Tate. This match is going to be in the 3rd week of March. He doesn’t have a lot of power, but is very aggressive and will come forward all night long. His chin is good and he can withstand a good punishing. He is currently ranked #106 in the world.

Acevedo(L) will be facing Marcos Solano. Both fighters are making their respective debuts. Solano is an accurate puncher who can take a good punch. He also likes to come forward and has good defense.

I really don’t like the idea of going up against another untested fighter, as I really don’t know what I have yet. I guess that you gotta start somehwere. Right?

It ought to be an interesting week . Two aging fighters will go at it nearing the end of their careers. Evander Holyfield, 36-3-1 (25) will face Joe Frazier 32-4-1 (27). The bookies have Holyfield a 2-5 favorite while the odds on Frazier are 2-1.

Holyfield is ranked #13, while Frazier is ranked #10

Like Steam?

Old 07-11-2005, 10:56 PM   #6
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, It ended up going the distance with Joe Frazier winning by unanimous decision.

Betting didn’t go so well, but it could have been worse. I ended up losing a little less than 2000 dollars. I am going to have to do better than that in future fights.

Like Steam?

Old 07-11-2005, 11:27 PM   #7
PilotMan
Head Coach

First week of March

Today is a bad day. I am crushed, totally crushed. I can’t believe what happend last night. I was sitting there watching these fights that I had laid bets on. As is my typical strategy I was looking for fights that looked like sure thing bets. You know the kind where the odds so heavily favor one fighter, and he looks so much better that even if you only win a portion of your bet at least you still end up winning?

It was a black, black day. I had 3 fights staked, and 100k bet between those fights and lost it all. I lost it all. Now that I don’t have the money and I am looking at the finances it is going to be difficult to really bet my way back into the money. I will need to be very frugal with how it is spent.

Right now, I feel as low as I did after that Championship fight. I mean, I have just put my entire operation in jeopardy, and I havn’t even gotten to see my fighters go yet!

So fucking stupid.

I need to focus on these fighters. Lawrence has his fight in 3 weeks and Omar has his in 4. Both look to be approaching peak fitness. I know that for the full effects of the gym to hit neither should be fighting for a couple of months but I need to see them in action. I need to get those important first wins together. We need something positive.

This is an important week in boxing. The first world title defense is to be held this week.

Peter O’ Connell, who is currently the #1 ranked Heavyweight is going to defend his title against Gene Tunney, who is ranked #3.

O’ Connell comes in with a 33-3-0 (19) while Tunney sports a 61-1-1 (45) record. Both fighters look to be in comparable shape with Tunney having the power advantage while O’Connell has the accuracy advantage. Tunney will be the agressor, and defensively they are even.

The bookies like O’Connell in this one as he is a 1-2 favorite. The odds on Tunney are 13-8. Myself, I like Tunney’s chances and will lay some money down in his favor. The payout right now is better than hitting a blackjack.

Like Steam?

Old 07-12-2005, 04:56 AM   #8
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Good start so far. Keep up the good work, P-Man. I'll be following along.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:33 AM   #9
PilotMan
Head Coach

Thanks daed. I already have 25 or so pages written. There will be more to come. Don't worry.

Like Steam?

Old 07-12-2005, 11:50 AM   #10
PilotMan
Head Coach

Second week of March

Peter O’Connell took a 12 round - Unanimous decision win over Gene Tunny.

I lost another 20k here. Luckily I got most of it back with winning bets on Willie Pep and Sonny Liston. For the week I lost a whopping 1k. I really need to start winning some money. This gambling thing may end up being the death of Punishment Inc. Right now the bank statement says that we have about 250k in liquid cash and about 1.6 mil in assets which are the values of the 2 fighter contracts that I hold.

The World Bantamweight Title is on the line this week.

The principles are current world #1 Manny Bionas, 5-14-0 (5), and Xavier Firth the #3, who has a record of 18-6-0 (7). I have no idea who Bionas has been fighting to get that record, but it must be heavyweights, because the guy is a monster. The bookies have Firth as the favorite at 1-3, and Bionas is going off at 5-2. I am laying no money on this one as I have a bad feeling about it altogether.

In other news Rocky Marciano will be fighting Jack Johnson, and Oscar de la Hoya takes on Kid Galvain.

Like Steam?

Old 07-12-2005, 01:08 PM   #11
PilotMan
Head Coach

Another bad week and I can’t seem to catch a break to get any cash. I lost another 36k

Jack Johnson KO’ed Rocky Marciano in the 3rd round and Oscar de la Hoya won with a 1st round TKO over Kid Galvain.

The bookies were right on the Bantamweight Title fight as Xavier Firth dominated Manny Bionas and won in the 2nd by TKO. Manny Bionas promptly retired from boxing.

Other notable fighters that have retired this year include:

Bobby Czyz 44-8-0 (28)

Antonio Gomez 40-8-2 (18)

Jackie Wilson 103-46-6 (20)

James Toney 55-5-2 (35)

Gene Tunney 61-2-1(45)

Johnny Dundee 90-32-19 (22)

Benny Bass 140-29-6 (59)

Juan La Porte 40-16-0 (22)

At the end of this month I will start posting the top ten rankings for the weight divisions. Since the game doesn’t have any export features it will take some time to get them all up. I plan on doing updates about once a quarter.

Like Steam?

Old 07-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #12
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Darn. I thought you had a chance to make some money back on the Tunney fight. Meh.

You are on an ugly streak.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:21 AM   #13
Swaggs
Coordinator

Good stuff.

Looking forward to reading some more.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:03 PM   #14
PilotMan
Head Coach

Fight Night -

Well, I have found out a little more about my fighters since I took over responsibility for their fighting careers. McFarlane(M) has his first fight as a member of my camp, and let me tell you. He is lazy. Great skills, and lazy. He has been training for 5 weeks specifically for this fight and he just doesn’t seem to want to get there. How am I going to get him going?

Lawrence McFarlane is heavily favored in this fight and the bookies have him as a 1/4 favorite. I will be laying down some cash on this one, and it will be the only fight that I bet on this week. All of my attention needs to be focused here.

His opponent, Lack, has a great chin that I would like to test. He is aggressive and accurate. This fight is a scheduled 6 rounder so it should prove to be entertaining. Strategy is going to play an important part in the match.

I think that I will let McFarlane start with a style that he feels comfortable with and keep him in a defensive mindset. Lack will be coming forward and hopefully he will be able to land some good counters. I am not really worried about Lack’s power or lack thereof, and McFarlane has a very good chin. If things start to go McFarlane’s way, I have no problem letting him out and swinging freely.

Mostly I just want to get the win and help Lawrence’s confidence

Like Steam?

Old 07-13-2005, 03:51 PM   #15
PilotMan
Head Coach

Welcome Swaggs, glad to have you along for the ride. Thanks for reading.

Like Steam?

Old 07-13-2005, 03:52 PM   #16
PilotMan
Head Coach

Here we go!

And just like that it is over. Strategy didn’t play that important of a role after all. The first round was a very offensive fight with both fighters landing well. McFarlane took control with the jab and was able to land some good combinations. Lack really had no response and even though he was landing he wasn’t hurting McFarlane or doing any real damage. On the other hand, it seemed that every combination, uppercut and hook from McFarlane was taking its toll. By the end of the first round Lack had taken a lot of damage and the ref didn’t like what he saw. The fight was stopped at 2:49 of the first round and Lawrence McFarlane was declared the winner by TKO.

That win put some money back in the coffers as the winnings from the bet I laid paid 20k and the take from the fight was almost 200k!

After I got back home I had a message on my voice mail. It was from the manager of Jorge Castro. He had a fight to sell me on. He wanted McFarlane v. Castro, and was willing to pay me 120k as compensation up front.

Now Jorge Castro is a different story, he is a fighter who is ranked lower (#97) and has more fights. He is nearing the end of his career but is still deadly enough to cause all sorts of problems. He won his last fight with a 4th round TKO over Ken Overlin. His record stands at 111-6-2 (76). He is a complete fighter with good all around abilites, who is just edging toward the backside of his long and illustrious career.

I am not ready to start throwing my young fighters to the wolves to I will call his manager back this week and tell him to get real. Control in my matchmaking is one of the only things that I have going for me right now. Besides I need to concentrate on Omar. He has a fight this week.

Like Steam?

Old 07-13-2005, 03:54 PM   #17
PilotMan
Head Coach

The 4th week of March

Well, the 3 of us are in pretty good spirits and looking forward to what tonight might bring. There hasn’t been any really big news in boxing and no new title fights have been announced. I wouldn’t notice anyway since all of my effort has been going into Omar to make sure that he is ready in his boxing debut this week. His training has been going better than Lawerence’s did, but he could have used a lot more time in the gym. I was just really anxious to get him into the ring.

This week’s fight is a scheduled 4 rounder and it is against another rookie fighter by the name of Marcos Solano. Solano bears a resemblance to Lack in that he lacks the power to hurt Acevedo, but makes up for it with aggressive fighting and good accuracy. He has a good chin, and I would like to take advantage of his average defense.

Omar does not have a good chin, nor is he overly aggressive. What he does have however is quick reflexes, good defense and good power, combined with accurate punching. I will have him going backward in this fight and tell him to counter. Hopefully, he will be able to control the fight this way and maybe land some big shots after Solano leaves himself open.

The bookies have Omar as a 1-2 favorite while Solano is at 7/4. I will have some money on Omar, but like I said, I hate to see my young fighters go against the unknown.

Like Steam?

Old 07-13-2005, 04:15 PM   #18
Swaggs
Coordinator

Are you scouting anyone new or are you going to ride with these two until you make some money?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:13 PM   #19
PilotMan
Head Coach

Plan of sticking with these two for now. I have some money, but my contract with them will run out eventually. The inital contracts from both of them was over 1.5 mil of my initial 2 mil pot. I am not sure if I will reup with either of them, or try my luck with some others. For now though it is 2 fighters.

Like Steam?

Old 07-14-2005, 08:27 AM   #20
PilotMan
Head Coach

Fight Night -

I told Omar to relax, and do what he feels comfortable with. I told him not to force the pace and to let Solano come to him. If he finds an opening, exploit it, and if he gets him hurt to take him out. Don’t worry about his power, you have more.

Here we go!

Things didn’t start out very good in the first round. Solano came charging out of the corner and landed blow after blow on Omar. In fact, Omar looked bad. By the middle of the round he had done nothing and figuring that he might be scared I screamed at him to take the fight to him. With Omar coming forward he seemed to gain confidence and it was obvious that his blows were having some effect. Solano landed less and less punches and Omar ended the round with the advantage. Overall though I told him that he lost that one, but that he needed to start the next round the way he finished the last one.

Things went better in the second round but Solano still landed way to many punches. I hate to open Omar up in the 3rd but when you are down 2 rounds in a 4 round fight what can you do?

In between rounds I told Omar to go for it! Take the fight to him, chase him down and make him pay. Omar owned the 3rd round but still took a lot of damage in the process. The round was decidedly his. Now, if we can win the last round, hopefully the judges will see things our way. More of the same to come.

The 4th round of the fight didn’t start the way I wanted it to, as Solano came out good, and landed the majority of the blows. Omar responeded though and landed some big blows and combos. In fact he continued to take control of the fight and had Solano reeling. If this fight had gone on another 30 seconds the ref would have had no choice but to stop it and award the TKO to Omar. Hopefully the judges saw it that way.

J1: 39-38 Acevedo

J2: 38-37 Solano

J3: 40-37Acevedo

Omar Acevedo grabs his first win with a split decision win over Solano. More celebrating and a much needed break to come. We grabbed a 40k payout from the bet that was placed and over 300k from the purse.

Like Steam?

Old 07-14-2005, 09:15 AM   #21
PilotMan
Head Coach

Rankings as of the first week of April, 2005.

Heavyweight

CHAMP Peter O’ Connell 34-3-0 (19)

#1 Joe Louis 68-3-0 (54)

#2 David Skinner 31-14-0 (23)

#3 Josh Devlin 16-7-0 (16)

#4 Jack Johnson 79-13-11 (50)

#5 Muhammad Ali 56-5-0 (37)

#6 Joe Frazier 33-4-1 (27)

#7 Mike Tyson 46-3-0 (39)

#8 Larry Holmes 66-6-0 (42)

#9 Errol Hargreaves 13-8-0 (10)

#10 Jack Dempsey 61-6-9 (50)

Light Heavyweight

CHAMP Brendan Lawe 10-5-0 (9)

#1 Tommy Loughran 95-23-9 (17)

#2 Joshua Simpson 12-2-0 (6)

#3 Roger Stewart 28-5-0 (16)

#4 Jeff Ellery 19-8-1 (12)

#5 Kelly Schofield 33-0-1 (13)

#6 Roy Jones 39-0-0 (33)

#7 Jack Dillon 94-7-14 (64)

#8 Elwood Jarrold 43-2-0 (22)

#9 Cliff Harris 19-5-0 (10)

#10 Matt Upton 19-0-0 (14)

Middleweight

CHAMP Sugar Ray Robinson 186-20-6 (118)

#1 Les Darcy 48-10-0 (29)

#2 Carlos Monzon 95-6-10 (64)

#3 Karl Upchurch 17-2-1 (9)

#4 Jake LaMotta 86-22-4 (33)

#5 Mike McCallum 50-5-1 (36)

#6 Harry Greb 127-16-3 (60)

#7 Leavander Nolan 15-0-0 (5)

#8 Dick Tiger 67-24-3 (29)

#9 Fumitaka Ito 31-3-0 (25)

#10 Emile Griffith 87-28-1 (24)

Like Steam?

Old 07-14-2005, 09:18 AM   #22
PilotMan
Head Coach

Welterweight

CHAMP Sugar Ray Leonard 36-2-1 (25)

#1 Derrell Guyver 24-0-0 (11)

#2 Oscar de la Hoya 31-0-0 (25)

#3 Jose Napoles 78-7-0 (55)

#4 Yoshiaki Kabayashi 32-0-0 (19)

#5 Francisco Lacierva 22-6-0 (15)

#6 Ike Quartey 35-1-1 (30)

#7 Miguel Sanchez 22-7-0 (10)

#8 Andrey Romero 35-0-0 (30)

#9 Dennis Duran 9-9-0 (2)

#10 Wilfredo Benitez 53-8-1 (31)

Lightweight

CHAMP Melvin Horne 8-6-0 (8)

#1 Damian Essett 17-1-0 (17)

#2 Urbano Milanes 13-11-0 (13)

#3 Joe Gans 121-8-9 (86)

#4 Benny Leonard 85-5-1 (69)

#5 Jorge Reynoso 20-3-0 (14)

#6 Sam Hughes 39-5-0 (23)

#7 Julio Cesar Chavez 100-3-2 (82)

#8 Victor Marquez 39-0-0 (20)

#9 Pedro Carrasco 105-3-2 (66)

#10 Daniel Davey 17-6-0 (17)

Featherweight

CHAMP Peter Badillio 21-5-0 (16)

#1 Nolito Filisilda 35-0-0 (12)

#2 Calvin Calvert 15-3-0 (14)

#3 Eric Doughty 16-2-1 (5)

#4 Willie Pep 231-11- 1 (66)
#5 Armando Medina 14-0-1 (5)

#6 Gary Jakeman 15-5-0 (7)

#7 Reece Phelan 13-2-0 (9)

#8 Ray O’ Regan 28-4-0 (14)

#9 Sean Needlman 13-4-0 (12)

#10 Luis Ramon Andrade 8-9-0 (8)

Like Steam?

Old 07-14-2005, 09:22 AM   #23
PilotMan
Head Coach

Bantamweight

CHAMP Xavier Firth 19-6-0 (8)

#1 Joselito Pana 31-0-0 (12)

#2 Carlos Zarate 61-4-0 (58)

#3 Job Reyes 17-0-0 (17)

#4 German Tiznado 44-0-0 (11)

#5 Esteban Lopez 12-9-0 (5)

#6 Benjamin Euroza 14-7-0 (6)

#7 Michael Younis 35-3-0 (9)

#8 Victor Luna 17-0-0 (11)

#9 Ruben Patrick 19-9-0 (7)

#10 Eder Jofre 72-2-4 (50)

Flyweight

CHAMP Gerardo Ramirez 23-0-0 (12)

#1 Ernesto Bantillian 12-3-0 (10)

#2 Randy Mercado 13-1-0 (11)

#3 Zosimo Diaz 17-0-0 (11)

#4 Rocky Cubillas 14-0-0 (12)

#5 Cornelius Vosper 15-0-0 (3)

#6 Pancho Villa 77-5-5 (24)

#7 Kenichi Komaki 33-2-0 (11)

#8 Hideki Nishizawa 19-0-0 (10)

#9 Fusaaki Watanabe 17-2-0 (5)

#10 Buddy Bionas 18-0-0 (5)

Like Steam?

Old 07-15-2005, 08:56 AM   #24
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Featherweight Title is on the line this week as Nolito Filisilda challenges Peter Badillio for the title. Fillisilda is putting his undefeated record on the line. Badillio has the better power and is a very aggressive fighter, while Fillisilda is very resilient. General opinion is that Badillio can’t hang with Fillisilda. The bookies agree as the odds are 2/5 on Fillisilda and 2/1 on Badillio.

The boys at Punishment Inc. continue to recover from their fights and I am starting to look for their next opponents. I have Lawerence McFarlane doing a lot of running and sparring, along with general fight training. I have Omar Acevedo working on the speed bag, running with McFarlane, and doing a lot of lifting. I need him to be a bit more nimble. He got hit more in the last match than he should have. He has good power, I need to get him to exploit it in the ring.

I called the manager of Jorge Abrecia, a lightweight journeyman, who happens to be ranked #122, to see if they might be interested in a fight. Ahhh...they said no. Oh well, I may need to take on another newbie. I really hate that. You just never know what you are walking into.

One more fight of note this week is the matchup of top ten heavyweights Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali. Ali is ranked #7 and Tyson is #10. Tyson can through the heavy punches and Ali can take them. Ali is much faster. How will this one turn out? Bookmakers are leaning toward Ali as he is at 1/4 odds, while the odds on Tyson are 10/3. I am in awe of Ali, and will lay a small 10k bet on him to win the fight.

Like Steam?

Old 07-15-2005, 01:01 PM   #25
PilotMan
Head Coach

Peter Badillio surprised me! He managed a 12 round split decision win over Filisilda. That is the first loss for Filisilda and Badillio had to gain some measure of respect with the win. In other news Muhammad Ali won a 10-round unanimous decision over Mike Tyson. Too bad for me that I forgot to lay my money on him. In other bets we lost 3444 for the week. I am really bad at speculating. I need to stick with my own guys.

McFarlane looks to be back in top shape and it is time to see where the next step of his career is going to take him. I would like to stick to a fight that I know that he can win instead of really challenging him.

I saw a fighter that I feel might fit the bill. Mike Firth, who was just TKOed in the 3rd round by Frank Tate. I give his manager a call and ask if they might be interested in a fight the second week of June. He thinks about it and says to go ahead and get the paperwork taken care of. The fight is booked.

Mike Firth, 16-23-0 (3), has no power, but is quick and has reasonably good defense. He comes forward and has a good chin and has a good heart. His body can only take too much, and mentally he is not on top of his game. Sounds like a perfect fit.

Like Steam?

Old 07-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #26
Tellistto
College Prospect

Nice dynasty, I'll follow along too.

Tell

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:27 PM   #27
PilotMan
Head Coach

End of April, 2005

Omar looks to be ready to for another fight. He is responding well to training and the roadwork and ringwork look like they might be helping. As for Lawrence.....I really don’t know. I just hope he looks as good in his next match as he did in his last.

I saw a fighter that I think might be a good match for Omar. Fernando Santana is coming off of a KO loss, but has a KO win under his belt too. He hits hard, has good defense and will come forward. This will be an opportunity to see if I can bring out the counterpuncher in Omar. We ended up getting away from it in the last fight and that is really the type of fighter that I would like him to be. His chin is a little above average and his heart is in question. I know it will be a quick fight, I just hope that we can make enough of an impression.

So I called his handlers and mentioned that I might be intersted in a fight at the end of May. They laughed. So I said how about the middle of June? No reply. So I said what about the end of June? OK. The match is set for the end of June. Now to get these guys ready.

There is another title fight this week. Welterweight champion Sugar Ray Leonard is defending his title against Jose Napoles. Napoles is the #5 ranked contender to the title, and he is a huge underdog. Leonard is a favorite with odds at 1/6. The odds on Napoles are 9/2. Both fighters compare close, but Ray Leonard has the advantage in conditioning, while Napoles is coming off of a 7th round KO of Luis Rodriquez, another top 10 contender. It should be one hell of a fight.

Like Steam?

Old 07-15-2005, 11:28 PM   #28
PilotMan
Head Coach

Thanks Tellistto. I hope you enjoy it.

Like Steam?

Old 07-16-2005, 11:05 AM   #29
PilotMan
Head Coach

Sugar Ray Leonard successfully defended his Welterweight title with a 12-round unanimous decision over Jose Napoles. I did well on my bets this week. We ended up coming out 50k ahead. That should pay for some more losses down the road.

Lawrence McFarlane (M) has moved up to #78 in the middleweight division and Omar Acevedo is at #148 in the lightweight division.

The Bantamweight title is on the line again in 3 weeks.

My financial situation looks fairly good right now. I have about 715000 in liquid cash and a little over 2.5 mil in assets in the form of fighter contracts. That could drop significantly if and when Acevedo loses, as his contract is considered quite valuable right now.

Like Steam?

Old 07-16-2005, 11:06 AM   #30
PilotMan
Head Coach

The third week of May-

The Bantamweight title is on the line as Xavier Firth will be making his first title defense against 9th ranked Reuben Patrick. Firth won the title with a 2nd round TKO against Manny Bionas. Patrick has a 19-9-0(7) record and is not expected to be a big challenge to Firth.

Firth appears to be in better shape, is considered the more accurate puncher and has better defense. Their power is comparable but neither is a big puncher. Both men have good chin’s and Patrick will be probably pressure the the pace of the fight throughout.

The bookies have the odds on Firth at ½ while the odds on Patrick are 13/8. I will have a small bet on Firth to retain the title.

My fighters are gearing up for their matches, and I need to start thinking about what to do when their contracts start to run out.

Like Steam?

Old 07-17-2005, 10:41 PM   #31
PilotMan
Head Coach

Xavier Firth let his fists fly to the tune of a second round KO of challenger Reuben Patrick. Firth it not known as a power puncher, grabbed his 9th win by KO. Yours truly managed a 15k profit from this fight. It isn’t a goldmine, but it helps to keep the gym running.

The Light Heavyweight title is on the line this week, and it is going to be a great fight!

The Champ, Brendan Lawe, 10-5-0 (9), is defending his title against Jeff Ellery, 19-8-1 (12). Ellery is coming off of a draw against ranked Kelly Schofield. Both fighters look to be in comparable shape. Ellery is the bigger puncher, he is also considered to have faster hands and better defense. He is however, not the champ, and that is what it takes to be on top. Lawe is much better at taking a punch, but Ellery knows how to battle back in a fight.

The oddsmakers are at odds, as both fighters are listed at 1/1. Yes folks, it’s a pick’em

Like Steam?

Old 07-17-2005, 10:42 PM   #32
PilotMan
Head Coach

Jeff Ellery is the new Light Heavyweight title holder after his 12-round unanimous decision over the former Champ Brendan Lawe. I had my money on Ellery as he just seemed to have the fight in hand. The payout was 30k.

We are 2 weeks from Lawrence’s next fight. Mike Firth does not look like he is in top form yet, and mentally he is really lacking. I think that I will have a large sum of money on my man to win this fight. I have the utmost confidence in his ability to win this one.

Like Steam?

Old 07-17-2005, 11:56 PM   #33
Tellistto
College Prospect

Go Lawrence, kick some butt! And yay for making money on the bets!

Tell

Old 07-18-2005, 01:19 AM   #34
PilotMan
Head Coach

Second week of June 2005

Fight Night-

Lawrence Mcfarlane is ready to go in his second fight as a member of Punishment Inc. I feel so confident that he is going to dominate this fight that I have bet a massive 250k that he wins! Dear God, I hope that I don’t regret this! The payout won’t be that great if he wins, but anyway, how can he lose.

Mike Firth appears to be in fighting shape, but not in top form. McFarlane has been showing steady improvement from the running and road work, but he certainly isn’t anywhere near the peak of his potential. I am looking for another first round TKO.

Here we go:

This fight is set for 6 rounds.

Both fighters came out quick. McFarlane was told to go forth and put the fucker on his ass. He took some punches and got some of his own in. Around 1:10 into the first round Mike Firth took a hook to the ear and went down. He got up at 4 and took the 8 count. He tried to fight back, but it was obvious that the punishment was taking its toll. Another 30 seconds and McFarlance was landing well again. The ref stopped the fight at 2:00 into the first round. Another TKO win for Lawrence McFarlane.

All that money on the line and it earned me a little over 31k. It’s better than a kick to the head.

Mike Firth announced his retirement from the world of boxing after the fight.

Like Steam?

Old 07-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #35
PilotMan
Head Coach

Last week of June-

Fight Night

Omar is primed and ready for his fight. This is going to be a challenging fight for him. I am depending on his speed and elusiveness to win this. Hopefully Santana will open himself and Omar will make him pay. I have 50k riding on this match, certainly I don’t feel as optimistic about it. After all it is only the 4th fight in my stable, and Acevedo’s second career fight. Right now, as tense as things are you would think it was a title fight.

I told Omar to think defensively, be elusive, at the same time pressure Santana, keep coming forward and let go when the situation presents itself.

Here we go!

This fight is scheduled for 4 rounds.

This round should have been Omar’s. The round started great, he was landing a lot of punches and hadn’t been hit yet. He was controlling the fight when WHAM! A hook and Omar was on his back. FUCK! He was up at 6 and cooly landed punch after punch, but at this point no matter what he did he wasn’t going to win the round. At best he lost 10-9. We really need this next round. The strategy will stay the same.

I think that we solidly won that round. Damn, if Santana doesn’t hit hard. Omar did a nice job of avoiding punches and thew his jab a lot. He connected on more punches. He did well early and finished strong. We need to see more of that. The strategy will remain the same for the next round.

Santana started the round with some good punches and caught Omar coming in. Omar went down in a heap and wasn’t able to get up. He was counted out. I am feeling really down right now. What did I do to my fighter? Flashbacks come into my head every time I see that. I remember the humiliation and feeling of letting everyone down. I know it is only his second career fight, and it is the first loss for us.

I wouldn’t have mattered, Omar was going to lose on the cards. The judges had given Santana both the first and second round and one judge had it 10-8 for Santana in the first. It just wasn’t to be. To top that off, I lost 50 grand.

I need a whiskey.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 07-18-2005 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:47 AM   #36
PilotMan
Head Coach

Stop reading so damn loud. My head is killing me. What the .....Oh yeah, now I remember. I guess Omar had his chin tested and he failed miserably. I will need to be more careful with his next opponent. I talked with him today and he is sore. He looks like he is in rough shape. I bet his night was as good as mine. It is going to be a little while before he is going to fight again.

In the meantime I need to talk to someone about Lawrence. Up a few slots from him ranked at #62 is John Fanshaw. His record right now is 15-8-0 (7). He didn’t do much in his last fight, and 8th round loss, where he was TKOed against Randolph Turpin. He has a good chin and likes to bring the fight to you. He is quite accurate with his punches. His downfall is that power is not going to be a problem and that he is weak defensively. On top of that there are questions about his heart. He is going to be a challenge for McFarlane, but worth it. I call his manager and suggest a match for the last week of August. They like the idea and the fight is booked.

I am finally going to let McFarlane loose on the heavy bag. He is going to lift, run, work the speed bag and work on a Callisthenics program. I think that he needs to focus on his raw ability in order to get through this one. We have some time so I hope that he will have time for his training to really take effect.

In a heavyweight match Jack Sharkey 38-14-3(14) is taking on Max Baer 70-13-0(52). Both fighters are coming off of losses. Sharkey was TKOed by Max Schmeling and Baer was Koed in the first by Riddick Bowe. Neither fighter is ranked in the top 50 but it should be entertaining anyway. The odds favor Sharkey at 4/6 while the odds on Baer are 5/4.

I have 100k riding on a Bantamweight fight beween Les Leigh and Gaby Canizales. Canizales is way past his prime and Leigh is on the way up, undefeated with 10 wins, no defeats and 10 wins by KO. The odds are at 1/10, so even if I win it only will be 10k. But it is a sure thing, right?

Like Steam?

Old 07-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #37
Tellistto
College Prospect

Ow, bummer for Omar, though Lawrence did a good job in his match. Looks like Omar's chin is going to be his downfall, though.

Tell

Old 07-20-2005, 12:26 AM   #38
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah, I am a little concerned about that, but he can still make me money as a serviceable journeyman.

Like Steam?

Old 07-20-2005, 12:27 AM   #39
PilotMan
Head Coach

All of the fights paid this week and we made a little over 26k. Max Baer scored a 5th round TKO over Jack Sharkey, and Les Leigh scored a 4th round TKO over Gaby Caniazales.

Here we are in the second week in July. I have been at this for over 6 months. I feel like I have been somewhat successful and I am itching to expand my stable. Both of my fighters have 4 fights left on their contract. I can see a future for McFarlane and with some work, I think that Omar could do well too. Once they have fought a couple of more times I will talk about possibly extending their contracts with Punishment Inc. Otherwise I will start looking at other opportunities.

Like Steam?

Old 07-20-2005, 12:31 AM   #40
PilotMan
Head Coach

Third week of July-

There is a title on the line this week. The Flyweight title is on the line as the Champion Gerardo Ramirez puts his title on the line against Hideki Nishizawa. Nishizawa is coming off of a 10 round unanimous decision over Jimmy Wilde, and is ranked #5 in the world.

Ramirez sports a 23-0-0 (12) record, while Nishizawa is 20-0-0 (10). This is one of the most anticipated title fights of the year. Both fighters are great defensively, have great fortitude, chins and punching accuracy. Ramirez is a bit stronger, but both of the men are evenly matched.

Ramirez is favored to retain his title as the odds are ½ that he will win. The odds on Nishizawa are 13/8. Personally I think that it could go either way. All things being equal, Ramirez has to have the edge based on his power and that Nishizawa won’t stand the beating as well. Some think him to be not quite up to standard. Of course, Jimmy Wilde would disagree.

My fighters are in training or recovering. There is no real news to report there.

I decided that it was time to look at another fight for Omar. There is a balance to be maintained when picking an opponent. I need to find a fighter that he will match up well against as well as someone who is quality enough that it will provide a nice payout from the match. Joe Schmo may be an easy win, but he won’t pay either.

I see that Marcos Solano has had 2 fights since his match with Omar. I know it was a tough match, but I believe that Omar is the better fighter. Solano has won one and drawn the other so his record is 1-1-1(0). The fight will pay well. I call his manager up and suggest a fight for the first week in October. That should give both fighters time to recover from their rescent matches and to train. They like the idea of a rematch and the fight is booked.

Like Steam?

Old 07-20-2005, 12:35 AM   #41
PilotMan
Head Coach

The second week of August, 2005

Gerardo Ramirez scored a 12 round unanimous decision over Nishizawa, to retain the World Flyweight Title.

The Lightweight Championship is on the line this week. Melvin Horne, 8-6-0(8), is putting the title on the line against Jorge Reynoso, 20-3-1(14), and he is the #4 contender to the title. On paper the matchup looks like it is Reynoso’s to lose.

He is the better experienced fighter and is more well rounded in the ring. On Horne’s behalf, he has great natural instincts and can not only dish it out, but can take it as well. The oddsmakers favor Reynoso in this one and he is going at ½, while Horne is at 7/4.

In two weeks Lawrence McFarlane will be back in the ring in the toughest challenge that he has faced since I started managing him.

Another interesting fight this week is matchup between Billy Conn, 64-11-1(15), and Virgil Hill, 46-3-0(24). Both fighters scored first round KO’s against top ten opponents in their last fights. Hill is #4, while Conn is #5. Odds favor Hill, but only slightly.

Like Steam?

Old 07-20-2005, 09:23 PM   #42
PilotMan
Head Coach

On four bets I won two and lost two. Overall it was a loss of less than a grand, so I can live with that.

Virgil Hill scored a 4th round KO over Billy Conn

There is a new Lightweight Champion as Jorge Reynoso scored a 12 round, unanimous decision over Melvin Horne.

In a top 10 Heavyweight match, Muhammed Ali, won via a 3rd round KO, over ranked David Skinner. But will he ever get a shot at the title?

Like Steam?

Old 07-20-2005, 09:25 PM   #43
PilotMan
Head Coach

Third Week of August, 2005.

Rankings

Heavyweight

CHAMP Peter O’ Connell 34-3-0(19)

#1 Joe Louis 70-3-0(56)

#2 Muhammad Ali 58-5-0(38)

#3 Josh Devlin 17-7-0(16)

#4 Joe Frazier 33-4-2(27)

#5 Jack Dempsey 62-6-9(50)

#6 Max Watt 15-0-1(9)

#7 Paddy Sexton 21-9-0(16)

#8 Michael Moorer 42-2-0(33)

#9 James Stubbs 40-6-0(20)

#10 Simon Maddock 25-8-0(9)

Light Heavyweight

CHAMP Jeff Ellery 20-8-1(12)

#1 Bob Foster 57-8-1(46)

#2 Joshua Simpson 13-2-0(7)

#3 Roger Stewart 30-5-0(17)

#4 Virgil Hill 47-3-0(25)

#5 Brendan Lawe 10-6-0(9)

#6 Julio Perez 16-0-0(6)

#7 Derrick Scoulding 39-0-0(27)

#8 Archie Moore 196-26-8(142)

#9 Gerry Bell 25-0-0(15)

#10 Tommy Loughran 95-24-9(17)

Middleweight

CHAMP Sugar Ray Robinson 186-20-6(118)

#1 Carlos Monzon 96-6-10(65)

#2 Anthony Hardy 44-2-0(15)

#3 Marcel Cerdan 120-9-0(72)

#4 Leavander Nolan 16-0-0(5)

#5 Harry Greb 128-16-3(61)

#6 Jose Antonio Mendez 16-0-0(6)

#7 Marvin Hagler 63-3-2(52)

#8 Sandy McGrath 28-0-0(18)

#9 Harry Mann 31-3-0(11)

#10 Ad Webster 28-4-0(8)

Like Steam?

Old 07-20-2005, 09:26 PM   #44
PilotMan
Head Coach

Welterweight

CHAMP Sugar Ray Leonard 37-2-1(25)

#1 Darrell Guyver 25-0-0(12)

#2 Oscar de la Hoya 32-0-0(25)

#3 Francisco Lacierva 23-6-0(15)

#4 Andrey Romero 37-0-0(31)

#5 Manuel Castillo 24-1-0(8)

#6 Wilfredo Benitez 55-8-1(31)

#7 Don Curry 33-5-0(24)

#8 Betillo Uranga 12-10-0(12)

#9 Saul Rodriguez 29-4-0(7)

#10 Charles Norris 36-1-0(18)

Lighteweight

CHAMP Jorge Reynoso 21-3-1(14)

#1 Damian Essett 19-1-0(19)

#2 Julio Cesar Chavez 101-3-2(82)

#3 Jose Luis Ramirez 104-9-0(84)

#4 Pedro Carrasco107-3-2(66)

#5 Yasushi Nitta 25-7-0(15)

#6 Melvin Horne 8-7-0(8)

#7 Pernell Whitaker 39-1-1(16)

#8 Augustin Garza 21-4-0(12)

#9 Joe Gans 122-9-9(87)

#10 Greg Haugen 39-7-1(20)

Featherweight

CHAMP Peter Badillo 22-5-0(16)

#1 Armando Medina 15-0-1(5)

#2 Calvin Calvert 16-3-0(15)

#3 Gary Jakeman 16-5-0(7)

#4 Young Griffo 65-9-37(32)

#5 Eric Doughty 16-2-3(5)

#6 Kazuki Sugita 17-0-0(12)

#7 Ray O’ Reagan 29-4-0(15)

#8 Vincente Salvidar 38-3-0(26)

#9 Masaaki Naito 34-4-1(8)

#10 Juan Zamora 21-0-0(13)

Like Steam?

Old 07-20-2005, 09:27 PM   #45
PilotMan
Head Coach

Bantamweight

CHAMP Xavier Firth 20-6-0(9)

#1 Job Reyes 18-0-0(11)

#2 Esteban Lopez 13-9-0(5)

#3 Victor Luna 18-0-1(11)

#4 Carlos Zarate 62-4-1(59)

#5 German Tiznado 45-0-1(11)

#6 Fernando Ramirez 13-6-0(10)

#7 Edel Milanes 19-4-1(11)

#8 Joselito Pana 31-1-0(12)

#9 Enrique Grimaldo 38-0-0(28)

#10 Greg Everest 13-4-0(12)

Flyweight

CHAMP Gerardo Ramirez 24-0-0(12)

#1 Randy Mercado 14-1-0(11)

#2 Rocky Cubillas 16-0-0(13)

#3 Zosimo Diaz 18-0-0(11)

#4 Mauro Martinez 27-0-0(18)

#5 Hiroyuki Ebihara 64-5-1(34)

#6 Aljoe Estremos 11-10-2(11)

#7 Pascual Perez 86-7-1(59)

#8 Lito Jamili 13-6-0(12)

#9 Takashi Takayama 20-0-1(15)

#10 Ferdinand Magramo 17-9-0(4)

Like Steam?

Old 07-20-2005, 10:44 PM   #46
Swaggs
Coordinator

Does the game also generate fictional boxers?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:20 AM   #47
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yes, you have the option of starting with all fictional or going with a mix. I think that historical fighters also appear as the game progresses, but to answer your question, yes, fictional fighters are a big part of this game.

Like Steam?

Old 07-21-2005, 12:39 PM   #48
PilotMan
Head Coach

Another mistake by yours truly. I had a horrible week in my bets. I though that I was being smart and that I knew something that noone else knew. I was the loser here. Dad would kill me if he knew how much money I just lost. Now I need to depend on my fighters to make it up for me. In fact, things are going so badly on the betting front that I may take a break from it, or drastically cut back on the amount that I am betting.

I went 0-4 on fights this week to the tune of -100k. Sonafabitch! That sucks! I tell you who is going to pay for that? John Fanshaw, thats who. Lawrence is going to win this week. He has to. I need him to. I think that there will be some money laid down on this one too. I know, I am stupid. I should check out Gamblers Anonymous right? Yeah, well it’s my money after all, it’s not like I am hurting anyone.

Like Steam?

Old 07-21-2005, 12:41 PM   #49
PilotMan
Head Coach

Last week of August, 2005

Fight Night-

Breathe slow, breathe deep, concentrate. Slow the fight down, and visualize what you want to do in the ring. He is going to come to you, let him, he is going to hit you, let him. Then show him what you do. When he throws that wide left hook, I want that counter right in there so fast he won’t know where it came from. Double up on the Jab, make him pay for every step that he takes forward. Don’t be afraid to mix it up. He should be afraid. Relax, don’t waste your energy, command the ring. This is your fight, this is your destiny, this is your time. Make it yours.

Fanshaw’s big weakness is his defense. I really hope to exploit that tonight. A win here would go along way in the rankings. Fanshaw is #56 and McFarlane is ranked #65. The bookies are laying there money on Fanshaw. They must have lost faith in me after the Omar Acevedo incident. Fanshaw is 4/6, while McFarlane is 5/4.

There is another big fight tonight. The Featherweight World Title is on the line again. Peter Badillo, 22-5-0(16) is going against #1 contender Armando Medina, 15-0-1(5). Badillo was less than spectacular against Filisilda, and Medina is coming off of a 10-round decision win over Willie Pep. Badillo has the power and Medina has the chin, heart, and conditioning. Oddsmakers are favoring Medina to take the title. He is 8/15, and Badillo is 5/3.

It’s hard to go against a guy who hasn’t lost yet, so I don’t think that I will.

Like Steam?

Old 07-23-2005, 03:20 AM   #50
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Damn you and your cliffhangers.

Keep up the good work.