Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2004, 07:38 PM   #1
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Funny Prank pulled on Harvard Crowd at game

This is pretty funny. Go here and watch the video.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

LMAO
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:45 PM   #3
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

That is (bleeping) hillarious. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:45 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Very funny..
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:48 PM   #5
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Harvard won the game though, but it was funny.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

its a pride thing. yale rules now.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:56 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Genius!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:06 PM   #8
tucker342
Pro Starter

LOL!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:10 PM   #9
Philliesfan980
Banned

Ah, nothing better than watching rich kids play pranks on other rich kids. Why again do these guys automatically get better jobs than the rest of us?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:11 PM   #10
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
Ah, nothing better than watching rich kids play pranks on other rich kids. Why again do these guys automatically get better jobs than the rest of us?

because we're not clever enough to do that
Old 12-01-2004, 09:03 PM   #11
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Yeap, these guys are dumb.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:05 PM   #12
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
Harvard won the game though, but it was funny.

Yeah, it's too bad these Yale seniors had to do this to have something by which to remember The Game. They'll go down as the first Yale class since the 1920s not to have beaten Harvard in their four years in New Haven.

Oh yeah, and this year, we didn't just win, we beat the hell out of them, 35-3.

(They did get us pretty good with the prank, though.)
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:14 PM   #13
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

While the prank itself was funny, the people who put the website together have absolutely no sense of presentation. They tell us right on the page what they're doing. It would've been much better if they'd kept it a surprise. Have the Yale students tell us at the beginning of the video that they're setting up the Harvard fans for something, and then show them carting the signs around and all that stuff. Great execution at the game, terrible execution in presenting it to the public.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:15 PM   #14
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Dola

I would give them a C-, but with Ivy League grade inflation, that becomes a B+. gg
Old 12-01-2004, 09:31 PM   #15
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
While the prank itself was funny, the people who put the website together have absolutely no sense of presentation. They tell us right on the page what they're doing. It would've been much better if they'd kept it a surprise. Have the Yale students tell us at the beginning of the video that they're setting up the Harvard fans for something, and then show them carting the signs around and all that stuff. Great execution at the game, terrible execution in presenting it to the public.

I always had mixed feelings on IVY League-type people. Going to Mass General for about two months now, which is affilated with Harvard, my surgeon (the department is actually called the Harvard....., and the surgeon is the Harvard department chair), he is a brillant and amazing man. I think they are excellent in science, math and those type of subjects. But I think certain areas/industries, they aren't strong.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:17 PM   #16
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Ah, nothing better than watching rich kids play pranks on other rich kids.

Well, I wouldn't tar all of them with the "rich kids" label. More than half of the kids at these schools get financial aid, carry loans, and/or have to work...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 11:18 PM   #17
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
Well, I wouldn't tar all of them with the "rich kids" label. More than half of the kids at these schools get financial aid, carry loans, and/or have to work...

And I'm sure they get pretty good scholarships (and not just from the university) and grants for their resume.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:32 AM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Let's be honest, guys. $35K per year for 4 years? Now, I know going Ivy gets you a good shot at a job when you get out but even with some financial aid, it's not as if many of those people get half what it costs to go there, much less a free ride. So, odds are you have to have some money or be in really deep debt and literally live on ramen and nothing else in a cardboard box because you can't afford to pay any sort of living expenses.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:46 AM   #19
korme
Go Reds

how do i install quicktime with firefox?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:50 AM   #20
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Let's be honest, guys. $35K per year for 4 years? Now, I know going Ivy gets you a good shot at a job when you get out but even with some financial aid, it's not as if many of those people get half what it costs to go there, much less a free ride. So, odds are you have to have some money or be in really deep debt and literally live on ramen and nothing else in a cardboard box because you can't afford to pay any sort of living expenses.

SI

That a choice a person would have to make. The odds of the later happening are slimmer then going to a regular school (I don't know any of cardboard box people that graduate from Harvard, ect.), unless you just become lazy as hell and don't care. These schools are able to produce pretty nice profitable revenues streams (I read in Boston's Globe the Harvard's endownment fund grew from I think $7 billion to somewhere in the $20-million range alone) where they can help in scholarships, ect, and they have huge connections with big-time people that is hard to match at other colleges. I don't know how good the education is, I can't say because I don't go to such a school, but it seems that such people are more successful in general then others.

Last edited by SunDancer : 12-02-2004 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:23 AM   #21
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
because we're not clever enough to do that

Hey, speak for yourself my friend.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:32 AM   #22
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I only know one person who went to an Ivy League school. He went to Cornell for one year, dropped out, worked at CompUSA for a year, and landed a series of six-figure salary jobs for the next 10 years and is now retired at the age of 30. Hmmm. I guess he did alright.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:07 AM   #23
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

SI

This isn't quite right. Ivy League schools are expensive, no doubt about that. There are a lot of "rich kids" who go to school there, no doubt. They also have the largest endowments and, thus, the largest financial aid programs. I think 2/3 of all Harvard freshman are on financial aid of some kind. It's a mixture of grants, loans, work study, etc. Financial aid is handed out on a need basis and admission decisions are need blind. If you're admitted, they are going to find a way to make it financially feasible for you to attend (of course that may mean some debt after school).

Several Ivy League schools have full room and board built into their total costs. At Harvard 98% of students live on campus and eat 3 meals a day in one of the house dining halls. Some students may have less beer or going out money, but no one has to go hungry.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:12 AM   #24
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
admission decisions are need blind

allegedly
Old 12-02-2004, 10:15 AM   #25
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
allegedly

I think that's a fair criticism, particularly when the Harvard affirmative action program has been held up as the standard for others to exemplify. How do you create plus factors (racial or otherwise) without looking at the total circumstances of the applicant (which must include socioeconomic background)? Nevertheless, the stated policy of the school is that admissions are need blind--and I'd say that is probably true for a large percentage of the admitted class.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:19 AM   #26
Klinglerware
College Starter

The financial aid system (especially at the richer Ivies) really levels the playing field. For example, Princeton's financial aid is 100% grants that meet all of an applicant's demonstrated financial need. Thus, for a middle class family, it is often actually cheaper to send their child to Princeton than to an out-of-state public school (presumably because of limited financial aid at these latter institutions).
Old 12-02-2004, 10:19 AM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
I think that's a fair criticism, particularly when the Harvard affirmative action program has been held up as the standard for others to exemplify. How do you create plus factors (racial or otherwise) without looking at the total circumstances of the applicant (which must include socioeconomic background)? Nevertheless, the stated policy of the school is that admissions are need blind--and I'd say that is probably true for a large percentage of the admitted class.
"Hi, I'm white and poor, what are my chances of going to school here"
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-02-2004 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:24 AM   #28
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
The financial aid system (especially at the richer Ivies) really levels the playing field. For example, Princeton's financial aid is 100% grants that meet all of an applicant's demonstrated financial need. Thus, for a middle class family, it is often actually cheaper to send their child to Princeton than to an out-of-state public school (presumably because of limited financial aid at these latter institutions).

Absolutely true, especially given how much the richer Ivies have ramped up their financial aid programs in the last 5 years in order to compete with one another.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:25 AM   #29
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Never mind that demonstrated financial need is based on the flawed system behind the FAFSA, that 7 years ago when I first filled one out, assumed your parents would each spend 25% of their income as well as deplete all of their savings in your four years at school and doesn't use accurate assessments of living costs. Never mind that it doesn't take into account if there are other siblings in the family.

Let's put it this way, I tried to get into a school on par with the Ivy League schools in my field (Carnegie Mellon for Comp Sci) and their offer of financial aid offer was a pitiful $6K in loans for $30K a year tuition not including living expenses. Needless to say, I didn't end up going there, particularly with a sister going to school 2 years behind me.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-02-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:35 AM   #30
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:

Let's put it this way, I tried to get into a school on par with the Ivy League schools in my field (Carnegie Mellon for Comp Sci) and their offer of financial aid offer was a pitiful $6K in loans for $30K a year tuition not including living expenses. Needless to say, I didn't end up going there, particularly with a sister going to school 2 years behind me.

Yes, the FAFSA is in many ways a flawed system for determining need. But it is standard, no matter where you go.

Carnegie Mellon is a peer research institution with the Ivies, but it's endowment isn't as large so it won't have as much to spend on financial aid. Most of the Ivy schools are wealthy enough to be generous with their financial aid. You probably would have gotten a better package if you went to an ivy..
Old 12-02-2004, 10:39 AM   #31
Franklinnoble
Banned

pWn3d!
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:44 AM   #32
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
"Hi, I'm white and poor, what are my chances of going to school here"
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

SI

I am white, grew up pretty poor, and got enough financial aid at both Cornell and a school more expensive than Harvard to go the first year for zero dollars out of pocket. Digamma has the right of it - the more expensive a school is, the more they give out in financial aid. They keep the price tag high to really nab the rich kids who do go there, and to try to increase the average amount of alumni donations.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:28 AM   #33
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Whilst funny, it doesn't hold a candle to the pranks played by MIT on both Yale and Harvard, as well as the pranks played by MIT on Caltech and vice versa. A simple Google should turn most of those up.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:35 AM   #34
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
I only know one person who went to an Ivy League school. He went to Cornell for one year, dropped out, worked at CompUSA for a year, and landed a series of six-figure salary jobs for the next 10 years and is now retired at the age of 30. Hmmm. I guess he did alright.

I hear Bill Gates is doing alright.

I am getting treated at Mass General, which is the primary hospital and affilated with Harvard (one of the best hosptials in the country). The surgeon (head of the Harvard dept. of the speciality I am getting treated in) is a Harvard grad, as well as alot of the residents/fellows. Amazing what they are doing to me, and what they can do they seem to not able to do here.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:36 AM   #35
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Whilst funny, it doesn't hold a candle to the pranks played by MIT on both Yale and Harvard, as well as the pranks played by MIT on Caltech and vice versa. A simple Google should turn most of those up.

Does MIT play sports (not just club, but play in the NCAA/NAIA, whatever). MIT, is not a very impressive campus for $40,000-some year and be billed as the toughest school to get into the nation.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:48 AM   #36
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
Does MIT play sports (not just club, but play in the NCAA/NAIA, whatever). MIT, is not a very impressive campus for $40,000-some year and be billed as the toughest school to get into the nation.

Most of MIT's sport teams compete in division III, but a few esoteric ones are division 1. MIT actually has the second most (Harvard offers the most) intercollegiate teams of any university in the country.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:51 AM   #37
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:

Actually, MIT has a pretty extensive athletics program (I believe they compete at the NCAA Div III level). I'm not sure if it is still the case now, but MIT sports teams were known for not making cuts. Promoting the "de-nerdification" process by encourage student participation in sports, or something like that...
Old 12-02-2004, 11:53 AM   #38
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Those MIT boys are known as quite the pranksters