Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #601
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
PS Plus wasn't around for the PS3 launch, correct? I don't see there being 18 free games at launch.

No, that wasn't my point. The running joke amongst most PS+ users is that you don't buy download titles, rather, you just wait for them to release to PS+ users.

I do think Sack is correct at some level. They'll likely be mixing in digital PS3 games as part of the free game mix, so they won't all be free in the next year. But the point remains that I don't think that digital titles are going to move terribly well. Most will continue to wait out Sony given how much gaming they'll be giving away at no charge each month to PS+ users.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #602
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Like this feature quite a bit. This will be nice especially for PS+ users when they release new free games each month. Will be able to get on and start the download during the day and have everything loaded by the time you get home.

Sony quietly reveals an awesome new PlayStation 4 feature - Yahoo! News
Old 08-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #603
SackAttack
Head Coach

That's kinda neat. I'm surprised Microsoft didn't integrate that into SmartGlass (or if they did, that they didn't advertise it).
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #604
chadritt
High School Varsity

Thats one of those "of course....its so obvious" little features that I really like. Its not what makes me certain I'll buy a PS4, i don't plan on buying one at launch anyway, but it is a really cool little thing.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #605
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Like this feature quite a bit. This will be nice especially for PS+ users when they release new free games each month. Will be able to get on and start the download during the day and have everything loaded by the time you get home.

Sony quietly reveals an awesome new PlayStation 4 feature - Yahoo! News

X-Box has it as well:

Microsoft confirms download feature
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #606
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post

How many times is Microsoft going to say 'we have it too!' before these consoles are released? It needs to become a drinking game at this point.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #607
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
How many times is Microsoft going to say 'we have it too!' before these consoles are released? It needs to become a drinking game at this point.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:03 AM   #608
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

You must have missed where the 360 can do this already. It is simply embarrassing how Sony is trying to pass off as innovation the copying of successful things that Microsoft did this generation. I've bought several things from the online Xbox marketplace, and as long as my 360 was powered on and connected to Xbox Live when I did so, they were on my console the next time I used it. If the Xbox was powered off, it simply started the downloads when I connected to Xbox Live from the console.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 08-31-2013 at 12:10 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #609
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
You must have missed where the 360 can do this already. It is simply embarrassing how Sony is trying to pass off as innovation the copying of successful things that Microsoft did this generation. I've bought several things from the online Xbox marketplace, and as long as my 360 was powered on and connected to Xbox Live when I did so, they were on my console the next time I used it. If the Xbox was powered off, it simply started the downloads when I connected to Xbox Live from the console.

Yep.. I always do this with demos, turn the xbox on and back off and then leave for work. When I get home, they are ready to play.

Glad Sony finally caught up.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #610
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Glad to hear you say this because I could've sworn I had done this on my X-Box as well once or twice but then convinced myself, based on how much pub Sony was generating with it, that I must have been nuts. So I guess, yeah, way to go Sony, only a few years behind.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #611
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:

Not owning a 360 I don't know how the feature works at the moment, but the article implied that the PS4 feature wakes the console from standby, downloads the game then goes back into standby mode.

From your description it sounds like the 360 does not exit standby mode to download the game, so it would still require user intervention.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #612
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Not owning a 360 I don't know how the feature works at the moment, but the article implied that the PS4 feature wakes the console from standby, downloads the game then goes back into standby mode.

From your description it sounds like the 360 does not exit standby mode to download the game, so it would still require user intervention.

Exactly. It's not the same thing. You can purchase remotely on your tablet/phone via the mobile app and it will power on/off the console only for the time needed to complete the download.

Hell, you can do exactly what cartman's talking about with the PS3.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #613
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I think this is a better move for MS than what they've been doing so far. Stop trying to be the PS4 and start trying to justify why your console is $100 more than your competitor. I'm not sure if it will be a winning argument in the end, but it's a step in the right direction for sure.

Microsoft Says Xbox One Is Worth $100 More Than PS4 - Forbes
Old 08-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #614
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Exactly. It's not the same thing. You can purchase remotely on your tablet/phone via the mobile app and it will power on/off the console only for the time needed to complete the download.

Hell, you can do exactly what cartman's talking about with the PS3.

The only change with either of them is the "always on" nature of the new consoles. You know, what everyone was bitching about with privacy concerns not too long ago...
Old 08-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #615
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
The only change with either of them is the "always on" nature of the new consoles. You know, what everyone was bitching about with privacy concerns not too long ago...

By far, the biggest concern initially with the X1 was price and used games. The rest was secondary in comparison.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #616
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Is it the smartglass thing I was talking about, though, or is this basically 'turn it on, hit download, turn it off and it will download in low-power mode' like the 360 has now?
Old 08-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #617
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Is it the smartglass thing I was talking about, though, or is this basically 'turn it on, hit download, turn it off and it will download in low-power mode' like the 360 has now?

It is the smartglass feature you are talking about which is what it means by remote downloads that you can do it from another location. That article didn't make it clear but I've read it on a couple other sites.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #618
mckerney
Coordinator

How many times is Sony going to say 'we have it too!' before these consoles are released?

PlayStation 4 features voice command capabilities, Sony confirms | Polygon
Old 08-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #619
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
How many times is Sony going to say 'we have it too!' before these consoles are released?

PlayStation 4 features voice command capabilities, Sony confirms | Polygon

A drinking game with one drink thus far to be sure. The difference being the more they are the same, the better it is for Sony. If all things are equal, it's a big plus for Sony because they have the pricing advantage.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #620
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post

Correct, on the x360, you can go to xbox live on a pc or your phone, download a game and then you turn on and turn off your x360 and it will download from standby mode and then turn off. It just doesn't wake itself like the new consoles will do.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #621
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Can't wait for the next gen. But before that, one last hurrah... probably the final game I'll play on the PS3, GTA V.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #622
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Can't wait for the next gen. But before that, one last hurrah... probably the final game I'll play on the PS3, GTA V.

Beyond: Two Souls is the last PS3 release that I'm interested in. GTA V is a wait for PC release for me.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #623
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some console news over the weekend. A pretty interesting leak here. Sony plans to reveal a VR headset for the PS4 at the Tokyo Game Show, looking to directly compete with Oculus Rift.

Sony set to go big with virtual reality on PlayStation 4 • News • PlayStation 4 • Eurogamer.net

MS announces that external storage devices not supported on X1 release. No firm details when that might change.

Xbox One external storage not supported at launch, says Major Nelson | Joystiq

X1 will support eight player local play, PS4 will support four players.

Padwatch: Xbox One can connect eight controllers at once, PS4 four | Joystiq

MS announces that the free FIFA offer in Europe is only for Day One preorders, not all.

Europe's free FIFA 14 offer limited to Xbox One Day One pre-orders | Joystiq
Old 09-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #624
SackAttack
Head Coach

That's weird. Didn't PS3 support up to 7 connected devices? Why would they go backwards from that?

Or is it still 7 bluetooth connections but only 4 can be controllers?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #625
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
That's weird. Didn't PS3 support up to 7 connected devices? Why would they go backwards from that?

Or is it still 7 bluetooth connections but only 4 can be controllers?

They talk about it in the article. It's a role reversal from the previous gen. But you're right that it's not exactly clear whether that includes other non-controller devices.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #626
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Not sure if this is old news or not, but I got an email from Microsoft (I ordered my Xbox One directly from them) and it will release 11/22/13.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #627
SackAttack
Head Coach

Just got announced this morning, EF27.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #628
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Not sure if this is old news or not, but I got an email from Microsoft (I ordered my Xbox One directly from them) and it will release 11/22/13.

I expect a lengthy review from you too.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #629
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Should be interesting whether we get some leaks regarding supply from the MS crew now that the launch day pre-orders are basically gone. Sony has already said that they have pre-sold in excess of 1M units. I'm a bit surprised that MS didn't have a number, though given the recent spec change on the CPU and RAM, they may be pretty severely constrained on number of units available at launch.

Microsoft says most Xbox One pre-order supply sold out | Games Blog - Yahoo! Games
Old 09-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #630
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some early impressions from developers of the PS4 hardware. I'm assuming the X1 wasn't included in this article because it's from a Japanese publication.

http://kotaku.com/heres-what-some-de...n-4-1256242439

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-05-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #631
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

The NFL incorporation on the XBox One looks pretty awesome and I'm certainly looking forward to watching with my roster on screen and the personalized highlights look sharp as well. It's an interesting concept for sure.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #632
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
The NFL incorporation on the XBox One looks pretty awesome and I'm certainly looking forward to watching with my roster on screen and the personalized highlights look sharp as well. It's an interesting concept for sure.

If they can somehow get Sunday Ticket on the Xbox One, that would be friggin' awesome.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #633
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More announcements last night at a Sony conference presentation.

-Vita TV announced. $100 unit that can play Vita games, stream PS4 games, or attach to a TV. DualShock controller needs to be attached to play games.

PlayStation Vita TV puts Vita games on a TV, out in Japan on Nov. 14 [update: specs] | Joystiq

-New slim version of Vita. 20% smaller and 15% reduction in weight. Both of these units are clearly Asian-focused.

-Japan launch date for PS4 is February 22, 2014.

Sony Japan conference round-up: Vita TV, PS4 launch date, pretty colors | Joystiq

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-09-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #634
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Geek Wars!

Game Dev Claims PS4 Is More Powerful, But Microsoft Pushes Back
Old 09-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #635
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

May be a bit of fire with the smoke. More developers complaining about the issues with X1 performance as it currently stands.

Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance | News | Edge Online
Old 09-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #636
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

First X1 rolls off the production line.

Kotaku - First Xbox One is produced

A bit surprised as I had assumed that they were already under production. Sony reportedly has been producing units for a month already. Could be another indicator that the rumors of more PS4's than X1's available on launch may be true.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-14-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #637
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
First X1 rolls off the production line.

Kotaku - First Xbox One is produced

A bit surprised as I had assumed that they were already under production. Sony reportedly has been producing units for a month already. Could be another indicator that the rumors of more PS4's than X1's available on launch may be true.

Contradicts this: First Xbox One consoles leaving factory - GameSpot.com

which was 9 days ago.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #638
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
May be a bit of fire with the smoke. More developers complaining about the issues with X1 performance as it currently stands.

Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance | News | Edge Online

You'll give credit to these reports, but blew off the ones that harped on how difficult it was to program for the PS3?
Old 09-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #639
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
You'll give credit to these reports, but blew off the ones that harped on how difficult it was to program for the PS3?

I'm assuming since you attacked the poster of the article instead of the content of the article, you don't disagree with the content.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #640
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm assuming since you attacked the poster of the article instead of the content of the article, you don't disagree with the content.

Quote:
The difference between cross platform launch window games will be small, and improved graphics drivers plus the power of the cloud might yet tip the balance in Xbox One’s favour. Nonetheless, at launch, PS4 will be the more capable console.

Hardly any reason to make much out of anything right now.. we can post this and that until our fingers fall off.. but until both consoles are released and games start churning out at a constant rate.. all of this stuff can be twisted whichever way you want to spin it.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #641
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Hardly any reason to make much out of anything right now.. we can post this and that until our fingers fall off.. but until both consoles are released and games start churning out at a constant rate.. all of this stuff can be twisted whichever way you want to spin it.

A MUCH more well-reasoned response. But this is a discussion thread until they come out, so it's about all we have to talk about.

My thought when seeing some of these articles is that the horsepower, games, etc. don't mean a hill of beans in the end. Each system, no matter how good it is, will have their reputation cemented by a RROD, system hack, pricing issue or information breach-like moment. Both systems last generation had at least one of those moments, which hindered both and ended the generation in a relative tie (yes, Nintendo sold more, but they're irrelevant already in this generation).

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-15-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #642
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A MUCH more well-reasoned response. But this is a discussion thread until they come out, so it's about all we have to talk about.

My thought when seeing some of these articles is that the horsepower, games, etc. don't mean a hill of beans in the end. Each system, no matter how good it is, will have their reputation cemented by a RROD, system hack, pricing issue or information breach-like moment. Both systems last generation had at least one of those moments, which hindered both and ended the generation in a relative tie (yes, Nintendo sold more, but they're irrelevant already in this generation).

Yep.. drivers seem to be a biggie.. so who gets the better drivers to power their system?
Old 09-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #643
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

There's really only three options:

1) The reports were right then and are right now; this makes you a hypocritical shill for ignoring the reports of seven years ago while focusing on current reports.

2) The reports were wrong then and wrong now; your focus on the current (wrong) reports after rightly ignoring the reports from seven years ago makes you...a hypocritical shill.

3) The reports were wrong then and right now; this makes you a visionary in a world of dupes. Which do you think it is?

Hint: you're not a visionary.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #644
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Hint: you're not a visionary.

Duly noted.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #645
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some early news out of TGS. Sony plans to sell 5M units by end of March.

Sony aiming to sell 5 million PlayStation 4 units by March 2014 | Joystiq

PS4 will release in four Asian countries in December.

PS4 hits South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan before Japan | Joystiq

Deep Down being streamed by Capcom from TGS

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/deepdowntgs2013
Old 09-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #646
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Great video of the upcoming Metal Gear game. Really like the way they've integrated the stealth into this game.

12 Minutes of Awesome-Looking Metal Gear Solid V Footage
Old 09-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #647
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

MS takes a minority share in a new Chinese venture.

Microsoft Forms China Game Venture to Capitalize on Trade Zone - Bloomberg
Old 09-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #648
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Further info on new trade district in China.....

China To Lift Ban On Sale Of Video Game Consoles: Reports - Yahoo Movies
Old 09-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #649
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

MS decides again that they should replicate a PS4 feature......

You may be able to play your Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One after all - Yahoo Games
Old 09-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #650
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
MS decides again that they should replicate a PS4 feature......

You may be able to play your Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One after all - Yahoo Games