Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #851
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Oh come on.. not Sony.. it must be a consumer issue!

If this was about the XB1 (and who knows what will happen when it releases) MBBF would have posted that link long before I did.

What makes you think this is more serious than unboxing videos?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #852
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some impressions.....

-People who hang out at Gamestop for console midnight launches have a severe issue with hygiene. Holy Jesus people! It's called a shower and it can take as little as 5 minutes of your day!

-For anyone who thought that this thread was somehow suffering from a lack of good information, the Gamestop crowd put this thing to shame. This thread looks like a think tank compared to some of the things I heard while waiting in line. There are some levels of stupid that you can only find in certain places. I will say the 50 year old Gamestop who was making sure the line stayed in form was fighting a losing battle when trying to tell the PS4 geeks that he loved how great the media options were for the X1. Sir, there's a time and place for everything.

-Music for setup/menu screen is zen-like. Hard to be a geek and stay up late to play with your new toy when the menu is trying to put you to sleep.

-Download speed on system update is surprisingly good given that the servers are likely getting slammed. Mandatory update took 11 minutes for me to download and a couple more minutes to install.

-Interface has changed some, but still 'feels' the same which is a good thing.

Will goof around a bit tonight, but likely won't get into the system for an extended period of time until Saturday night after work.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:08 AM   #853
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Forgot to mention that the system is MUCH quieter than the slim PS3 that I have. It's ridiculous how much better it is. Makes you wonder what the hell was going on in the PS3 to make that much noise.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #854
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Online network getting hammered. Receiving timeout errors. Probably not going to be able to do much online, though system update went just fine.

Time to break out some offline games before bed.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #855
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: PlayStation 4: Launch Edition

Rough start.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #856
mckerney
Coordinator

It sucks for people who got bad systems, but I haven't seem anything to indicate the failure rate on PS4 is bad for consumer electronics.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #857
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
It sucks for people who got bad systems, but I haven't seem anything to indicate the failure rate on PS4 is bad for consumer electronics.

Horrific rate for first day failures. 360 failures weren't evident this quickly.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #858
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola, I got a release day ps4 but haven't had time to play this weekend. Crossing my fingers for when I have time to try it later today.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #859
MJ4H
Coordinator

Man, I might shell out a few bucks extra for the camera and working console that come with the xbox one, myself.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #860
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Man, I might shell out a few bucks extra for the camera and working console that come with the xbox one, myself.

If you want to guarantee a working console you probably need to wait until next year or pick up a last gen console. I don't expect the Xbox 1 launch to be much smoother, especially since the machine went into production even later than the PS4.

When millions of brand new machines are being built to meet a target date a short distance in the future, you are going to find that the build quality suffers. Early adopters are essentially beta testing the hardware, and later adopters will reap the benefits with improved hardware/cooling etc.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #861
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

What Does PS4's Blinking Red Power Light Mean? - IGN

Your brand new console is already overheating on day 1? Yea, I'd say that would be a bigger problem than this moron at IGN is acting like. I've had consoles since the flippin' Atari, usually all of the consoles represented in a generation with few exceptions(consoles not made by Microsoft/Nintendo/Sega/Sony only), and have never had one overheat. If I purchased a $400 dollar console and it overheated on day 1 someone better be swapping it out. There is something seriously wrong with my console at that point.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #862
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
If you want to guarantee a working console you probably need to wait until next year or pick up a last gen console. I don't expect the Xbox 1 launch to be much smoother, especially since the machine went into production even later than the PS4.

When millions of brand new machines are being built to meet a target date a short distance in the future, you are going to find that the build quality suffers. Early adopters are essentially beta testing the hardware, and later adopters will reap the benefits with improved hardware/cooling etc.

Yeah, I was just joking. I'm not buying either of these things.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #863
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post

So there's tens of thousands of Amazon customers currently logging hours on launch weekend who aren't bothering to review while 500 or so have an issue? That's not an issue, that's a usual console launch. FWIW, the Amazon shipments do appear to be the main concern. Lots of reports of people having ill-packaged consoles, which obviously would be a big problem and would cause failure rates to go up quite a bit. The good news is that people are receiving replacement consoles already from Amazon and reporting few problems with the replacements along with much better packaging. The Neogaf thread on any failures is littered with mostly Amazon customers. Always best to get consoles from a retailer if possible. Shipping is always more secured in those instances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
What Does PS4's Blinking Red Power Light Mean? - IGN

Your brand new console is already overheating on day 1? Yea, I'd say that would be a bigger problem than this moron at IGN is acting like. I've had consoles since the flippin' Atari, usually all of the consoles represented in a generation with few exceptions(consoles not made by Microsoft/Nintendo/Sega/Sony only), and have never had one overheat. If I purchased a $400 dollar console and it overheated on day 1 someone better be swapping it out. There is something seriously wrong with my console at that point.

The overheating isn't a new thing to any launch. People are dumb enough to put their consoles in areas where air circulation isn't optimal. I'm sure there are some defects here and there, but I think we'll find this is largely not an issue.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-17-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #864
SackAttack
Head Coach

We have always been at war with Eastasia.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #865
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
We have always been at war with Eastasia.

I'm just impressed he didn't come to the thread wondering if Microsoft would just scrap launching the XBox one after seeing how many PS4s were sold.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #866
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm just impressed he didn't come to the thread wondering if Microsoft would just scrap launching the XBox one after seeing how many PS4s were sold.

Truth is often stranger than fiction. A site that has been very good breaking information on MS Xbox products in the past is reporting that MS has an entertainment only Xbox One in the pipeline.

Quote:
Gamer Changers? | Xbox content from Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows

Spin-off devices.

As I exclusively reported previously, Microsoft originally planned to ship a second Xbox One unit focused solely on entertainment, but temporarily killed this effort earlier this year. That device is still coming, will be much less expensive, and will dramatically outsell the Xbox One. Which of course is why they held off.

With that said, Sony had its single-best release day in Playstation history. It's extremely hard to call that a failure in any way given how well the previous three consoles have done overall.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-17-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #867
mckerney
Coordinator

And here I was thinking you'd go with the investors who want Microsoft to sell off the XBox brand.

Last edited by mckerney : 11-17-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #868
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
And here I was thinking you'd go with the investors who want Microsoft to sell off the XBox brand.

You talking about a legitimate story or are you just talking?
Old 11-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #869
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Did you read the article you posted? You realize you just posted a random dude's guesses for the new console cycle as a legitimate story, right? Why didn't you lead with the fact that this is the last console cycle? Why did you cherry pick an entertainment only XBox?

EDIT: You could have went with the fact that the console cycle is done and Sony only sold 50 million PS4's as well(as he guesses as well), if you wanted to. He's another dude who thinks that videogames are dead because of tablets and phones. That makes me take any idea or opinion he has and throw them out the window. The guy in the comment section who thinks he should combine his Microsoft and Sony numbers from the PS2 generation on because the market divided at that point makes more sense to me than this guy. If he did that, his numbers wouldn't show a drastic dropoff last generation like they do now, which is what he's using to predict an even further dropoff this generation.

Last edited by dubb93 : 11-17-2013 at 06:08 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #870
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
FWIW, the Amazon shipments do appear to be the main concern. Lots of reports of people having ill-packaged consoles, which obviously would be a big problem and would cause failure rates to go up quite a bit.

It's far more likely that the problems are related to build quality than poor handling from Amazon. Even if the machine has been knocked about, it should not cause widespread overheating issues, and I can't imagine that the treatment it gets from Amazon or a courier is much worse than you could expect from any other retailer.

If most of the problems are coming from Amazon shipments, maybe Amazon has been sent an entire batch of faulty PS4s. It could be that one of Sony's factories is guilty of shoddy workmanship.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #871
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Real story.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #872
Radii
Head Coach

I really don't disagree with MBBF on how serious the PS4 issues are right now. From what I've read I am not seeing a huge deal. The main thing though, is for everyone to save that post to throw in his face when there are some Xbox One RROD's on release and he is in here non stop linking to all the shit that exaggerates any xbox issues that might occur.

They will both be fine, it sucks for those that bought them on release day and had a problem, but that's about it IMO.

Last edited by Radii : 11-17-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #873
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Of my students, 2 out of 7 that have PS4's have reported problems, not sure where they got them from.

As badly as I wanted to jump into next gen gaming early, I continue to be reminded by the universe that it's good I waited: put the money towards a Disney trip, had a battery and alternator go in the car today, whole house humidifier went out yesterday and the quality control concerns with the PS4.

I still wish I had one but my bank account is certainly glad I don't!
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #874
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I really don't disagree with MBBF on how serious the PS4 issues are right now. From what I've read I am not seeing a huge deal. The main thing though, is for everyone to save that post to throw in his face when there are some Xbox One RROD's on release and he is in here non stop linking to all the shit that exaggerates any xbox issues that might occur.

They will both be fine, it sucks for those that bought them on release day and had a problem, but that's about it IMO.

Agreed. Problems at release aren't that uncommon as everyone should know by now. People blow them out of proportion. Meanwhile, Sony and Amazon already have new consoles arriving at doorsteps with the rest expected to arrive Monday or Tuesday by most reports. Now if we're talking about this problem three years or more down the line as we did with the 360, then it's a different situation.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #875
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Did you read the article you posted? You realize you just posted a random dude's guesses for the new console cycle as a legitimate story, right? Why didn't you lead with the fact that this is the last console cycle? Why did you cherry pick an entertainment only XBox?

He's been spot on over the past few years on leaking information of new models for MS products. If he says something regarding a MS release, there's an extremely good chance it's correct.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #876
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Of my students, 2 out of 7 that have PS4's have reported problems, not sure where they got them from.

As badly as I wanted to jump into next gen gaming early, I continue to be reminded by the universe that it's good I waited: put the money towards a Disney trip, had a battery and alternator go in the car today, whole house humidifier went out yesterday and the quality control concerns with the PS4.

I still wish I had one but my bank account is certainly glad I don't!

I have a friend whose unit already died. He is very annoyed but it is being replaced. I only got about 2 hours on my unit today and it worked without any issues. Looking forward to getting more time with it later tonight or tomorrow after work.

Edit to add: Looking forward to getting my Xbox One later this week. I decided to keep both pre-orders as they both have exclusives I want to play.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-17-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #877
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

X1 hardware reviews start coming at midnight EST tonight.

No Twitch for X1 launch. MS says it will be available sometime in first half of 2014.

Xbox One won't have Twitch gameplay streaming at launch | Joystiq

Sony reports good supply of PS4's through the holiday season. Pretty stark contrast to what we've seen with some of their previous launches that were a bit more constrained in regards to supply. There's always that balance of creating artificial demand vs. not getting enough consoles in the hands of consumers.

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-holiday-.aspx
Old 11-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #878
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
But note that Sony didn't explicitly state that they have a good supply of GOOD PS4s...............
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #879
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
But note that Sony didn't explicitly state that they have a good supply of GOOD PS4s...............

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #880
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sony is likely losing money on each PS4 sold. But the good news for them is the amount is nowhere near as much as the loss on each PS3 at launch.

Report: $399 PlayStation 4 costs about $381 to build | Ars Technica
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #881
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Sony is likely losing money on each PS4 sold. But the good news for them is the amount is nowhere near as much as the loss on each PS3 at launch.

Report: $399 PlayStation 4 costs about $381 to build | Ars Technica

Yeah, that's a pretty reasonable starting point given the crazy amounts some of these companies have lost in past generations.

I thought I read somewhere that MS is selling the X1 at a small gain, no?
Old 11-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #882
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Sony reporting release failure rate around 1%, nearly double what their pre-release failure rate guess was.

Sony says PS4 failures have varying causes, affect less than 1 percent of units
Old 11-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #883
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
dola

Sony reporting release failure rate around 1%, nearly double what their pre-release failure rate guess was.

At least they are failing early while they can still be replaced at minimal cost. Hopefully this isn't indicative of a larger RROD type issue that will pop up down the road.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #884
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
At least they are failing early while they can still be replaced at minimal cost. Hopefully this isn't indicative of a larger RROD type issue that will pop up down the road.

If the problems were the same, it would be indicative of a larger issue. As it is, it's just more of a manufacturing issue.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #885
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
dola

These companies really have to learn to get it together. My Launch system never... you know... launched. What they've done is kill an ambassador for their product. I haven't gone around badmouthing them. But I can't very well recommend it under these circumstances. If they turn around a new system for me by Thanksgiving, I guess they can bring me back around (It was an Amazon order). Otherwise, I'm canceling and just getting my money back.

Last edited by oykib : 11-19-2013 at 06:50 PM.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #886
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

For those who still want to pre-order Xbox1:

Customers who signed up to be notified of Xbox One console availability might like to know that we will have units of the Xbox One available for pre-order on Wednesday, November 20.

Quantities are limited so you will need to pre-order while supplies last, starting at 8 a.m. ET / 5 a.m. PT.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #887
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
These companies really have to learn to get it together. My Launch system never... you know... launched. What they've done is kill an ambassador for their product. I haven't gone around badmouthing them. But I can't very well recommend it under these circumstances. If they turn around a new system for me by Thanksgiving, I guess they can bring me back around (It was an Amazon order). Otherwise, I'm canceling and just getting my money back.

Surprised you haven't received yours yet. Most of the people using Amazon over at Neogaf were saying they were shipped a new console right away and had been receiving it yesterday or today via overnight with the bad one to be returned in that box. Would be interested to hear how yours was handled.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #888
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Keep in mind that oykib is overseas though (right?)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #889
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Keep in mind that oykib is overseas though (right?)

I'm in Los Angeles now. They haven't released it in Asia yet. Europe's supply is reputed to be even shorter than ours.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #890
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm in Los Angeles now. They haven't released it in Asia yet. Europe's supply is reputed to be even shorter than ours.

So are you trying to exchange through Amazon or Sony? Sony will expedite immediately through warranty if Amazon's not willing to do so. Just call the phone number listed in the manual or chat online.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...mediately.aspx

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-19-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #891
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
So are you trying to exchange through Amazon or Sony? Sony will expedite immediately through warranty if Amazon's not willing to do so. Just call the phone number listed in the manual or chat online.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...mediately.aspx

Thanks,

I'll give it a try when I get home. I'm supposedly at the top of the waiting list at Amazon. But they haven't scheduled a day with me yet.

Mike
Old 11-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #892
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Thanks,

I'll give it a try when I get home. I'm supposedly at the top of the waiting list at Amazon. But they haven't scheduled a day with me yet.

Mike

Yeah, I'd go straight to Sony if Amazon is putting you on a list. I'm guessing Sony is able to supply a bit quicker on that.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #893
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Aah - didn't realize you were in LA now. Thought you were somehow sneaking one over there in Asia.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #894
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good test of HDD in the PS4. May have to pick up the SSHD and swap it out. Both of these new systems don't have nearly enough room on the default drives.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #895
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Now if we're talking about this problem three years or more down the line as we did with the 360, then it's a different situation.

Sony will have it sorted out by then. We'll just have to deal with all our personal information being hacked.

The 1% number seems low to me considering all the complaints online. There are close to 1000 negative reviews on Amazon alone for this. This is why I don't see the point in buying consoles at launch. Just give it 6-12 months for them to sort out the hardware issues and actually have some decent games worth playing.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #896
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
For those who still want to pre-order Xbox1:

Customers who signed up to be notified of Xbox One console availability might like to know that we will have units of the Xbox One available for pre-order on Wednesday, November 20.

Quantities are limited so you will need to pre-order while supplies last, starting at 8 a.m. ET / 5 a.m. PT.

Guh, darn you, seeing this puts me back on the fence of ordering again. I've survived canceling my PS4 order thus far and everytime I see the XBox One commercial w/ the NFL stuff I'm drawn back in (cue the Godfather 3 scene). This'll be a battle this morning not to get drawn into this!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #897
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Too bad microsoft doesnt care about asia.

Every gamer i know is getting a ps4 in december.. Some because it's the only choice.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #898
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Microsoft doesn't care about Asia because Asia doesn't care about Microsoft. They tried pretty hard with the last generation, and failed miserably anyway. It doesn't surprise me they aren't putting out a big effort this time around.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #899
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Guh, darn you, seeing this puts me back on the fence of ordering again. I've survived canceling my PS4 order thus far and everytime I see the XBox One commercial w/ the NFL stuff I'm drawn back in (cue the Godfather 3 scene). This'll be a battle this morning not to get drawn into this!

And I lost the battle thanks to CleBrownsfan and Amazon...I survived cancelling my XBox One pre-order twice and my PS4 one and now, thanks to a Browns fan (I'm a Steelers fan for God's sake!) I'm back in on the X-Box One. Next thing you know I'll be sporting a Josh Gordon jersey!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #900
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
And I lost the battle thanks to CleBrownsfan and Amazon...I survived cancelling my XBox One pre-order twice and my PS4 one and now, thanks to a Browns fan (I'm a Steelers fan for God's sake!) I'm back in on the X-Box One. Next thing you know I'll be sporting a Josh Gordon jersey!

Good man!! I'm looking forward to Friday. I've been in a rut gaming and I'm hoping Next Gen will spark my inner geek again!

Oh - BTW, this is the first time the Browns have been a favorite to your Black and yellow pin strip team in 10 year!!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 11-20-2013 at 07:34 AM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote