Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #1251
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
So those of you who really follow the entirety of the sport, are there any darkhorses for next year or are we looking at some combo of Clemson, Alabama, and UGA again next year?

Edit: I guess add Ohio St

Eh, tOSU would have to strike gold with a replacement QB to be in that echelon. Could happen but not something I'd bet on either. Florida could/should be improved and the winner of an early-season LSU v Texas matchup gives themselves a chance to be in some conversations.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #1252
Warhammer
Pro Starter

So Alabama lost by more to Clemson than ND did? ND even had the excuse of their starting CB being out and their secondary getting torched in that second quarter.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #1253
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I dont have the stats in front of me but on the year Bama outscored their opponents in the 1st quarter something like 150-10.

Clemson was only slightly ahead of their opponent sin the 1st all year.

However the 2nd quarter was Clemson's quarter. On the year they outscored opponents something like 140-28 in 2nd quarters.

At the end of 1 up 14-13 I told my son ..ok Clemson won Bama's quarter. If we open the lead up before half time its over.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #1254
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My year-end Top 25

J3C College Football Top 25 (2018 season final) | Jon's Three Cents
Old 01-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #1255
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Was thinking last night, what if NCAA allowed NBA/NFL players (NHL draftees already can) who are drafted to come back to college if they have eligibility left? It'll never happen, but I don't think the idea would have many downsides?
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #1256
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Was thinking last night, what if NCAA allowed NBA/NFL players (NHL draftees already can) who are drafted to come back to college if they have eligibility left? It'll never happen, but I don't think the idea would have many downsides?

I'm assuming you mean undrafted? Otherwise there's a pretty significant downside you're missing.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:54 PM   #1257
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
I'm calling it now... UAB for the Group of 5 New Year's bowl spot next season. Bill Clark is the truth.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:10 PM   #1258
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm assuming you mean undrafted? Otherwise there's a pretty significant downside you're missing.

NBA draft should take page from NHL - NY Daily News

The hockey option. Except, players can get signed and do endorsements and all that. But teams retain their rights for a period.

Quote:
The NHL, with players from college, junior hockey, and European leagues, may have North America's best draft system. Players are drafted at 18 or 19, but teams can wait to sign them. Drafting teams can retain the rights to unsigned European or major junior players for two years, while college players can remain unsigned but bound to a team through graduation.

This system gives teams time to observe their prospects and decide when they're ready for professional hockey. So, while Sidney Crosby was able to jump right into the NHL at 18 after the Penguins made him the No. 1 pick in 2005, the Rangers were able to let their first-rounder that year, Marc Staal, spend two more seasons in juniors before he made his NHL debut in the fall of 2007. Paul Stastny, selected by the Colorado Avalanche in the second round in 2005, played another college season at the University of Denver before he went pro.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #1259
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jeremy Pruitt ought to be fired immediately ... preferrably from a cannon.
The stupid son of a bitch just hired Jim Chaney away from UGAg to be the Tennessee OC.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #1260
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Word ius he's bringing Pittman with him...will help UTs OL recruiting.

But Tennessee regularly produces outside speed talent, they don't need a ball control scheme.

The primary thing that makes collegeb different than pro... your have to tailor your game to what your local talent pool is.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #1261
tarcone
Coordinator

Shocked. Well done, Clemson and congrats to CU!

Maryland hired a guy like that? Wow.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #1262
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
NBA draft should take page from NHL - NY Daily News

The hockey option. Except, players can get signed and do endorsements and all that. But teams retain their rights for a period.

Well the downside is that you're allowing your assets to potentially get hurt or subjected to subpar coaching at that level, while sacrificing any potential for that 5th round pick to help you on special teams or plug a gap down the road because of injury.

Unless you mean for this to be coupled with removing the years out of high school restriction for eligibility, not sure it can work. The NHL is drafting mostly 17 and 18 year olds which is an entirely different world than how the NFL operates.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #1263
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Eh, tOSU would have to strike gold with a replacement QB to be in that echelon. Could happen but not something I'd bet on either. Florida could/should be improved and the winner of an early-season LSU v Texas matchup gives themselves a chance to be in some conversations.
Auburn's lurking too. And in the outside chance Kyler Murray plays another year at Oklahoma they'd automatically jump back into the discussion.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #1264
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Auburn's lurking too. And in the outside chance Kyler Murray plays another year at Oklahoma they'd automatically jump back into the discussion.

Agreed on Murray/OU I suppose (if they find a defense at least) but after the epic bed-soiling Auburn just produced in 2018 they're going to be a show-me team.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-09-2019 at 12:51 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #1265
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jalen Hurts of Alabama Crimson Tide enters name, info into NCAA transfer portal
Old 01-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #1266
Butter
Coordinator

Tre Lamar and Trayvon Mullen both leaving Clemson for NFL. Starting LB and CB from this year's team. Combine them with another starting LB out of eligibility and the entire DL being gone, means replacing at least 7 starters from the defense. 1 more LB is supposedly still making a decision.

Basically only 2 starters (LT and Hunter Renfrow) off the offense leaving though.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #1267
Logan
Head Coach

Ts and Ps to Clemson
Old 01-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #1268
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Ts and Ps to Clemson

quoting for awesomeness
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #1269
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ts and Ps to Clemson

Nah...
Reload.

Names to know for the future.
Booth, Henry, Thomas, Constantin, McMichael, Goodman...on D

And Replacing Hyatt is last years #1 OT prospect...and I think eveyrone saw the WR talent on display Monday.

We can check back here next year but I dont think personnel loses will be as big as T&Ps level.

In house Leadership lost is a bigger question.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #1270
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Agreed on Murray/OU I suppose (if they find a defense at least) but after the epic bed-soiling Auburn just produced in 2018 they're going to be a show-me team.
Definitely, but they have enough talent coming back they have a high enough ceiling.

If (when) Justin Fields gets his immediate waiver then Ohio State's ceiling is also raised.

I guess opinions differ on just how close ND & Oklahoma were, but OU lost by 10 in the semi and I think the ND/Clemson game would've been much closer if Julian Love & multiple other DB's didn't go down in a 5 minute stretch of the 2nd quarter, so if we're down to listing Auburn/Florida/LSU/Texas I'd include both. I certainly don't see how Oklahoma's defense could be much worse next year, and we'll see just how many early departures ND has. Okwara & Kareem are coming back so both lines return most contributors, but sounds like Love & Miles Boykin are leaving for the NFL.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #1271
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If (when) Justin Fields gets his immediate waiver then Ohio State's ceiling is also raised.

But isn't that only if you believe he's better in 2019 than Haskins was in 2018. And I don't see that being the case.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #1272
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The Eagles made it close, after a 17 play, Bison drive stalled, and ended in a missed field goal, the Eagles scored in 4 plays to cut it to 1 score. NDSU grabbed the onside, and put the game away with a final TD drive. Final 38-24.

They didn't cover.

But they did win. FOR THE 7th TIME in 8 YEARS!

What.A.RIDE!!!

So this actually happened today:

Quote:
This is not a joke. Totally legit.
The shelf that holds the now 7 National Championship trophies in the football offices.. broke today. Too much trophy weight ��‍

{edit to add: I should have expected better from an Engineering school!}

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 01-09-2019 at 09:33 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #1273
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
But isn't that only if you believe he's better in 2019 than Haskins was in 2018. And I don't see that being the case.
How much better idk, but their defense should be better next year. They had no seniors this year, and unless you count Nick Bosa, they're only losing one player right now (starting DT Dre'Mont Jones).
Old 01-10-2019, 06:09 AM   #1274
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I think the ND/Clemson game would've been much closer if Julian Love & multiple other DB's didn't go down in a 5 minute stretch of the 2nd quarter

Define "much closer"
Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #1275
digamma
Torchbearer

There was a note the other night during the game about staff stability at Clemson. Not sure what the exact number was but they compared Clemson's losing just a handful of assistants (3?) over the last four years to Alabama having a staffing merry go round (20 or so). Now obviously, Alabama may point to positives of getting coaches into HC roles, etc., but it's an interesting contrast.

I say that with the announcement today that Alabama's OL coach Brent Key is moving to Georgia Tech (where he went to school) to be OL coach and assistant head coach/run game coordinator. It's a nice pick up for Collins's staff.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #1276
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Yep only 3
Chad Morris at Arkansas
Dan Brooks retired
Marion Hobby left to go to the Jags.

Saban is notoriously hard to work for. Swinney from day 1 has made it a pillar of his approach to not be. He encourages wives and families to be at the football offices. All the kids have access badges. he shuts down everyday for his assistants to go home and eat dinner with the family and then come back, they schedule practice around kids little league or high school games etc.

When he was losing it was pointed at as uncommitted when he wins its revolutionary and visionary, like most strategies.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #1277
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

So, will "the" Tate Martell heed his own advice?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #1278
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
It's a nice pick up for Collins's staff.

Agreed. Interesting too, since Key was one of the initial crop of rumors about potential HCs.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #1279
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

So, will "the" Tate Martell heed his own advice?

greatest news of the day.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:19 PM   #1280
miami_fan
Coordinator

College football fans in general and Michigan fans specifically,

I am assuming the highlighted phrases below has to do with school donations, right? Is this a thing across the country? I have never seen this before.

Quote:
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- University of Michigan head football coach Jim Harbaugh announced today (Friday, Jan. 9) the hiring Tim Drevno as the team's Sanford Robertson Offensive Coordinator. Drevno will coach the offensive line in addition to coordinating the Wolverines' offense.

Quote:
I am excited to reunite with Tim and have him serve as the offensive coordinator for our Michigan program," said Harbaugh, the J. Ira and Nicki Harris Family Head Football Coach. "Tim is an outstanding offensive line coach and is a technician that works very hard at making his student-athletes better players and students. He will be an outstanding member of our coaching staff."
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #1281
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

It's either a sponsorship deal or an honorary award deal.

For example Furman a small D1 fcs in SC has the Bobby Robinson head coach...BR was a HC and AD at Furman and elseweher...it is sort of akin to a naming the field after someone.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #1282
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am assuming the highlighted phrases below has to do with school donations, right? Is this a thing across the country? I have never seen this before.

ESPN article from 2014 mentions similarly named/endowed positions at Duke, Stanford, and Northwestern.

A little more Googling and I can even give you pricing for Head Football or Head Men's Basketball coaching jobs at Michigan State ($5m each) down to ass't football coaches ($500k each)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #1283
miami_fan
Coordinator

Interesting. Thank you for the info.

Now I want this fall into the hands of the university administration that will provide the most comedic titles.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #1284
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They sound like endowed faculty lines. For X amount of money we'll name this position after you or your family. Here's some info on UM School of Medicine endowed lines.

Quote:
A professorship is a gift to the University of Michigan Medical School to establish a named endowment that provides income to the Medical School in perpetuity. It is wonderful way to ensure the Medical School’s continued excellence and stature for many years in to the future that honors the donor, faculty member, family member, friend, teacher or mentor for which it is named.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #1285
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Un-fucking-real. Where does the money grab end? Making the "its really about the kids and their education" argument a total fucking joke
Old 01-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #1286
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Un-fucking-real. Where does the money grab end? Making the "its really about the kids and their education" argument a total fucking joke
It's an endless cycle, no doubt. But wouldn't you prefer money that goes toward paying assistant coaches come from an endowed fund from a booster rather than out of the general athletic department funding (which for many schools includes general funding from the school itself, which means taxpayer money and student fees)?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #1287
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

UGA promotes James Coley (ex-FSU OC w/out playcalling, ex-Miami OC under Al Golden) to OC.

Miami gets Bama QB coach Dan Enos as their new OC.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #1288
Butter
Coordinator

Some guy named Thomas Brown is joining South Carolina's staff as RB coach.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #1289
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Some guy named Thomas Brown is joining South Carolina's staff as RB coach.

Yeah, I meant to post that earlier, glad you caught it.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:10 AM   #1290
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
It's an endless cycle, no doubt. But wouldn't you prefer money that goes toward paying assistant coaches come from an endowed fund from a booster rather than out of the general athletic department funding (which for many schools includes general funding from the school itself, which means taxpayer money and student fees)?
Yeah, there are also endowed chairs and departments and buildings at colleges... I'd be more up in arms if it was the Chick-fil-A Wide Receivers Coach, but individual donors wanting recognition doesn't seem different than colleges as a whole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Define "much closer"
Within 2 scores & still a game in the 4th quarter. The first 25 minutes where ND's offense wasn't doing much but the D was keeping it close was the game I expected (I hoped ND would be more aggressive with play calling, but wasn't surprised at all they chose to be conservative and mostly run on early downs). The booth giving Clemson the ball on their fumbled kickoff return & ND failing on 4th & 4 at the 35 hurt ND's chances to actually win, but it was still a game until like 4 ND DB's went down mid Q2. (Love went down earlier, but Clemson kept running read options & throwing bubble screens for 2 more drives).

Maybe Ross & Higgins make catches over the top vs a 100% ND secondary (they were impressive catches regardless, and certainly they made some vs Alabama as well!), but those two deep balls turned it from game to blowout and it hurt to see it happen over a FR listed as 3rd string FS & a hobbled Alohi Gilman only a few plays after he was helped off.

It's generally not an argument worth fighting because Clemson was the better team & deserved to win, but I do think it was more of a game than people acted between it & the NCG, and I was pretty happy when Clemson also blew out Alabama on the scoreboard (and Georgia/UCF lost).
Old 01-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #1291
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

The challenge is, and I fully admit ND had me sweating that game, Clemson always starts slow and explodes late 2nd quarter.

There's a reason for that.

But Duke, Wake, NCSU, even FSU followed the same script.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #1292
Butter
Coordinator

Maybe would've been sweating a bit had they not rightly reversed the kickoff fumble.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:06 AM   #1293
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quarterback Tate Martell transferring from Ohio State to Miami
Old 01-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #1294
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I have a friend who is/was on the staff at Miami (not on the field but an "analyst")..

He maintains that Richt "retired" because he was told to

a) re-organize his assistant coaches
b) start playing "the game" the Miami way

Allegedly this was told to Richt in an email, in print, by UM employees. As the story goes - He picked up the phone called his boss and said "I dont work that way. If that is an order I'm leaving, as you are a disrespect to my University. BTW I will announce my retirement, keep your damn money, you will be complimentary and sad that Im leaving publicly or this email will find its way to every sports reporter I know"

If true...sure explains a lot of weird questions...
Old 01-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #1295
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

I always liked Richt. He may not have won as much as he should have, but he did it the right way (at least from seat).

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 01-16-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #1296
CraigSca
Pro Starter

For those interested, there's a great series on Netflix called QB1 that shows the senior year of a number of these guys like Fromm, Martell, etc. Interesting to see how these kids "really" are, and you definitely end up rooting for some more than others.

It's just like Last Chance U, if you're a fan.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #1297
bob
College Starter

Jalen Hurts heading to Oklahoma
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #1298
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Jalen Hurts heading to Oklahoma

Good for him. He deserves a chance at another run.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #1299
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I like the graduate transfer rule.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #1300
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Cleveland Browns are hiring Tosh Lupoi to coach their DL. Another hit to Saban's staff, and while Bama recruits itself, he was an absolute beast of a recruiter and helped them make gains on the West Coast. Glad to see him out of the college game and on to the NFL.