Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2015, 08:31 PM   #151
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Strategy Football View Post
Ok, that's confusing, and I'll check more when I can, but there are a few sites that say this:

"With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the second half of an NFL game, the officials restart the game clock after a kickoff return, after a player goes out of bounds on a play, or after a declined penalty."

I've just submitted the first patch and need to let it settle in, but I've added a task for myself to recheck the timing rules.

NFL Rules Digest: Timing

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ame-clock.html

I'm wondering if that means during the return since it doesn't run on a touchback.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:49 PM   #152
Pro Strategy Football
High School JV

Good point, maybe it means that the clock is paused but starts after the return, but not if the return is a touchback? I'll check on that when I get a chance, thanks.
Pro Strategy Football is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:18 PM   #153
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Galaril, I'll add that. I have quickness for QBs, which is more for them avoiding sacks and scrambling, but let me think about how to do more. In fact, you reminded me, I was thinking of maybe adding the "read" play, sort of like a QB option? Is that part of what you'd like?

Yes the reading play is kind of what I meant is all.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:30 PM   #154
SegRat
High School Varsity

I'm not very happy with my 0-4 start with the Packers.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #155
Pro Strategy Football
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
I'm not very happy with my 0-4 start with the Packers.

:-(
Old 02-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #156
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

ok, I had started a career when I first installed the game but restarted it yesterday. I'm about halfway through the second game of my first season and I'm already looking forward to seeing how my players will evolve over multiple seasons through their careers.

I especially like that you can start a game, play it for say 5-8 minutes, save and quit it, then get back to it later and play for just a tiny bit, then save again. I rarely have time to sit down for 10-20 minutes at once so this fits me perfectly!

I'm playing in casual mode for now and it's giving me just enough of a feeling that I'm actually doing something without it being overwhelming.

I'm playing with the Pats and our first game was a 17-16 come from behind win with a late 4th quarter drive and then holding them off. It was a thrilling win.

Looking forward to see what you got in store for the game in the future! Keep up the great work!

FM
Old 02-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #157
Pro Strategy Football
High School JV

That sounds good, FrogMan! You have the latest patch, right? Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

I'm looking at my huge wish list and need to winnow it down to something manageable that I can get done by August. I don't mind adding features after that, but I have to have my apps ready for August this year, unlike last year.

I might create a simpler version, even simpler than Casual - what do you guys think? I'm also spreading out some changes for Career and for Coaching.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #158
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

yeah, I'm up to the latest version. Saw something kinda odd, a too many men penalty on offense. They play happened then got the message of a penalty. Don't remember ever seeing this in real life, wold probably be a dead ball foul, no? Like "12 men in the huddle"...

FM
Old 02-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #159
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

and here's an oddity, reporting wise, again after a penalty. Situation is we punted, ball on our 39. Penalty for offensive offsides. Oakland declines and it's reported it will be our ball, 4th and 11 on our 34. It's consistent with a 5 yards penalty but they declined it. Next screen, I'm picking defense plays and the ball is on their 26 yard line, consistent with them declining the penalty.

Didn't cause any trouble in the game itself, just was a bit confusing. I'll attach two screenshots...

FM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0847.jpg (254.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0848.jpg (233.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #160
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

I don't know why, but I am REALLY distracted by the belt that ref is wearing...
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #161
Flasch186
Coordinator

Dude, I just started. This is great. Great job!

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:35 PM   #162
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
That sounds good, FrogMan! You have the latest patch, right? Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

I'm looking at my huge wish list and need to winnow it down to something manageable that I can get done by August. I don't mind adding features after that, but I have to have my apps ready for August this year, unlike last year.

I might create a simpler version, even simpler than Casual - what do you guys think? I'm also spreading out some changes for Career and for Coaching.

I still haven't finished my season yet. I am 13-1-1 with the Bears so far. Thank god the game is based on how the Bears offense was SUPPOSED to be, not on what it actually turned out to be.

It is funny how you are thinking of doing a mode more casual because I was thinking the opposite!

I love casual mode because of how quick and easy it is, but part of me is longing for a mode in between casual mode and hard core. So for instance when you go to the long pass screen, maybe you have three options of long pass (post, fly, stop and go) and on medium pass you hve (post, crossing and a hook). On defense in addition to calling medium pass defense maybe you can have the option of going to the medium screen and being able to pick between a zone, a man and a blitz.

All of this would be quicker than hard core because you are selecting from one submenu rather than setting each individual option on many menus on offense and defense. Anyway just a thought! I will buy the next version regardless
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:56 PM   #163
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
I don't know why, but I am REALLY distracted by the belt that ref is wearing...

He obvious shops at Macy's 😛
Old 02-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #164
Pro Strategy Football
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
and here's an oddity, reporting wise, again after a penalty. Situation is we punted, ball on our 39. Penalty for offensive offsides. Oakland declines and it's reported it will be our ball, 4th and 11 on our 34. It's consistent with a 5 yards penalty but they declined it. Next screen, I'm picking defense plays and the ball is on their 26 yard line, consistent with them declining the penalty.

Didn't cause any trouble in the game itself, just was a bit confusing. I'll attach two screenshots...

FM

Thanks for such detailed info! That'll help me find that and fix it. Thanks!

I'm really looking forward to hearing people's impressions, even though the real season is over. I want to know where to focus my limited time next year. Right now, I'm trying to see what it'll take to create an Android version, because I think that's the biggest bang for my buck.

Thanks again!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #165
Pro Strategy Football
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
I still haven't finished my season yet. I am 13-1-1 with the Bears so far. Thank god the game is based on how the Bears offense was SUPPOSED to be, not on what it actually turned out to be.

That shows you're a better coach than you-know-who!

Quote:
It is funny how you are thinking of doing a mode more casual because I was thinking the opposite!

I love casual mode because of how quick and easy it is, but part of me is longing for a mode in between casual mode and hard core. So for instance when you go to the long pass screen, maybe you have three options of long pass (post, fly, stop and go) and on medium pass you hve (post, crossing and a hook). On defense in addition to calling medium pass defense maybe you can have the option of going to the medium screen and being able to pick between a zone, a man and a blitz.

All of this would be quicker than hard core because you are selecting from one submenu rather than setting each individual option on many menus on offense and defense. Anyway just a thought! I will buy the next version regardless

That's an interesting idea. I want to find some way to attract more people, but also want to keep adding features for the existing users. So, are you saying, for example, on pass plays let you choose a pattern but not have to choose the formation, receiver, etc? i could do that very easily.

Hmmm, maybe I need to create some sort of screen where you can set the level of detail you want to see, with On/Off buttons for each. So, you might select Casual mode but turn on Pass Patterns... I'll have to think about that.

Thanks for the suggestion, and good luck in the playoffs!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #166
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
That shows you're a better coach than you-know-who!

That's an interesting idea. I want to find some way to attract more people, but also want to keep adding features for the existing users. So, are you saying, for example, on pass plays let you choose a pattern but not have to choose the formation, receiver, etc? i could do that very easily.

Hmmm, maybe I need to create some sort of screen where you can set the level of detail you want to see, with On/Off buttons for each. So, you might select Casual mode but turn on Pass Patterns... I'll have to think about that.

Thanks for the suggestion, and good luck in the playoffs!

Perhap formation and pass type. It seems like in casual mode every short pass is from a pro set. I'd like to see short passes and runs from shotgun in casual mode even if I don't have to pick it.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #167
Pro Strategy Football
High School JV

Nice idea, henry296. I'll think more about different options.

I've had some people ask for play books, and maybe that would be good for first time users. It would seem to me that the current menus let you create a play quicker than looking one up in a playbook, but I can see play books being better if you don't understand the menu system.

My menus get criticized, but for the life of me, I can't think of a way to include all these options but make it simpler. Maybe a UI/UX expert can give me some tips, I'm certainly open to them.

Meanwhile, though, thanks again. I'd say that right now, a lot of users use Casual mode, so adding a little more to that would be good. And for the hard core users, I'd like to add some more formations and maybe the QB Read play.

I think adding Defense and Special Teams stats (leaders, etc) would be good, too.

Hey, one other thing you guys might think about. I'm thinking of a good way to add audibles, and right now, I can think of two approaches:

In one approach (single player only), when the animation screen comes up and you're on offense, you can tap Pause or some other button and a dialog pops up with choices to Audible, Call Time out, or Cancel.

In another approach - more limited but would work in multiplayer - I add an "Audibles" tab on the offensive call screen, and you can select different defensive sets and how you'd respond. For example, select "Nickel, no one over center" and select "Draw" or "Three Deep" and select "Screen Pass" etc.

Of course, I'd have to introduce some kind of penalty, or you'd always audible. Maybe slightly increase the chance of a mistake, or maybe just limit you to three audibles per half.

Anyway, if you have thoughts on those, let me know. TTYL!
Old 02-08-2015, 12:07 AM   #168
Pro Strategy Football
High School JV

Hey, guys, I'm evaluating where to put my energies next year, and from some reviews, I find myself wondering just how much more to put into PSF, especially Career. I can never add features at the same rate as dedicated companies, so I don't know if my football apps can ever keep up. OTOH, I know I could create simple non-sports games for $0.99 and just quit trying to write complex games.

So, I'd like your honest feedback as to whether you're even still enjoying PSF and/or Career, and if you would even look forward to 2015 versions (and be willing to buy them). I love the game and have enjoyed creating what I think are fairly deep games, but I have to be realistic, too. I've been at this for four years straight.

I do appreciate the suggestions you've given me over the years, and do be honest. Don't encourage me to continue if you don't think there's a future in it. I'm a big boy. :-)

Thanks,
Kerry

Last edited by Pro Strategy Football : 02-08-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:38 AM   #169
Baldric
n00b

Still playing here Kerry. It definitely fills a niche on the platform, and I would definitely pay for a new version. My main interest is in Career mode of text sims. This is definitely one of the better sports sims on iOS, along with Football Manager, iOOTP and the other ones I play a reasonable amount is Rivisoft's Basketball Manager (and being an Aussie) Cricket Captain. These are probably the highest quality games out there which really cater for a reasonably realistic career mode.

I guess the big question only you can answer though is whether the financial income is meeting your expectations. I do remember first playing Tom Landry Strategy Football like many others, and would be disappointed to see an end to a great franchise.
Baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #170
Flasch186
Coordinator

I'd think if you build off of the same code and smartly add stuff, tweaks, etc. You could find substantial ROI however the thing I've learned in life is you can build the best X but without marketing it no one will know it exists. You'll have to begin marketing of it and have a price on it that allows for that spend. Facebook ads, ppc, etc. If it catches on it could very much be worthwhile but if you're not void at marketing you'll need to find someone to help with that.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 02-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #171
Galaril
Pro Starter

Yeah the game is very good but only as others can say whether it is worth it financially. If you continue to work on this one the draft frankly needs some work . My last draft first round was this before I quit. 16 teams drafted defensive backs, 11 teams drafted a linebacker , just one team drafted a halfback and 3 teams drafted wide receivers so that logic in the game seems to be off.

Update: went and simmed round two and that one still a ton of DBs and linebackers and 8 fullbacks drafted. Only one QB drafted no lineman.

Last edited by Galaril : 02-08-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #172
Pro Strategy Football
High School JV

Galaril, it's supposed to be pretty random, but should have more RBs than that in the first round. I'll look at the draft pool creation. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #173
JimboJ
High School Varsity

I too used to play TLSF back in the day and was very disappointed to see the franchise end. I was very happy to help you with this game in my own small way, and I am enjoying the hell out of it. I will continue to buy it as long as you keep making new versions.

I still think there is a big untapped market for this type of game. When you think about the shear number of football fans, you have to think that a decent number of them would enjoy a thinking man's version of the game, especially those like me who aren't interested in arcade games. And in that genre, you have literally no competition. It's just a matter of getting the word out there through social media.

I would focus my efforts on the following:

1. Fix the remaining issues with career mode. Don't worry about adding more career feature at this time.

2. While I do enjoy career mode, I think the most fun I have had is playing head to head against another player. I would focus my energy on expanding mult player. Make it easy to run leagues and tournaments. Have tie-ins to Facebook and Twitter. This will help spread the word about the game more so than people playing solo.

3. Add a player editor so we can change the players names and ratings. Allow the user to add NFL logos if they wish. Make it easy for players to share their mods with others.

4. Create an android version. I have no idea how much that work is involved with that, but I'm willing to help in any way I can. By getting in the Google play store, you are instantly more than doubling your potential market.

Last edited by JimboJ : 02-08-2015 at 01:37 PM.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #174
Pro Strategy Football
High School JV

All, I appreciate the feedback. Right now, unless I can think of an easy way to implement trades (mainly the AI) and free agency, I have to weigh those two changes versus many others that could implemented in that same amount of time. My personal leaning is toward adding other features (defensive and special teams stats and leaders, Android, and others) and put the trading and free agency off, possibly as long as 2016. I can certainly improve the draft, though, and I could add more events such as career-ending injuries (I have season injuries now, but not career), and maybe even some life events.

Right now, I'm going to try to learn a new tool that supposedly facilitates Android conversions, and I'll just have to regain my energy and passion for PSF again after that. I know I have ideas, many from users here, and I guess I'd just see what I could deliver by August and be happy with myself regardless.

JimboJ, I thought the same thing, that with the sheer volume of football fans, that there would be a sizable market that likes the coaching side or even the casual approach to career that I have, but either people don't know about my games, or they really don't want this kind of app, or we're all (me included) so used to free to play that no one wants to buy tons of features all at once, but prefer doling out small amounts of money over time. I don't know.

Thanks again, guys. Like I say, right now I'm going to focus on trying to get something on Android. I think that's the most important thing I could accomplish this Spring.

Oh, and you're right. I think the most important feature after that is some convenient means of editing names!
Old 02-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #175
Flasch186
Coordinator

Marketing is key

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-03-2015, 01:52 PM   #176
APC
Mascot

Ok stupid question: Can you coach your team's games and call plays in the career version or just sim?
APC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #177
SegRat
High School Varsity

One thing I noticed was when playing in overtime the cpu played offensively as if it was the end of a quarter instead of the end of the game. They could have kicked a field goal to win but instead just ran the clock out and the game ended in a tie.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:55 PM   #178
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by APC View Post
Ok stupid question: Can you coach your team's games and call plays in the career version or just sim?

Yes you can coach in career version.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #179
APC
Mascot

Just downloaded and played my first game. My Packers went ahead 31-10 midway through the fourth quarter in the season opener vs Seattle, then hung on for a 31-24 win. Just when I thought I was over the NFC Championship meltdown, I buy this game and it brings the nightmares flooding back. At least my fake Packers managed to make a few plays in the end and win, but still, the bad memories have returned.

I give this game -5 stars because now I have to start the healing process all over again.

APC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #180
Pro Strategy Football
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
One thing I noticed was when playing in overtime the cpu played offensively as if it was the end of a quarter instead of the end of the game. They could have kicked a field goal to win but instead just ran the clock out and the game ended in a tie.

Thanks, Segrat, I'll look into that!
Old 03-07-2015, 11:28 AM   #181
Pro Strategy Football
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by APC View Post

Yep, you can coach your team!
Old 03-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #182
Pro Strategy Football
High School JV

Guy asked me if I might add a "second chance" option, where you could pick up a game at some point from the Drives screen and take over, try to rewrite history. And in career play, maybe rewind back to some game in the season to redo the season from that point. Thoughts?

Another guy has complained that you should get fired if you have five poor seasons in career play. Hmmm, unsure how I feel about that, but it would put more pressure on you, I guess.

Android conversion isn't going well, sadly. I'm real disappointed in the offerings today, which have very little support. If I had more time, I could rewrite the game in something like Unity or another language, but I don't know. I'll keep plugging away and let you know.

I still get complaints about the menus, so I am looking into another possibility. Also looking at adding a "Favorites" or "Playbooks" option, where you could save plays. Anything I do would be for Casual and Hard Core.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #183
Flasch186
Coordinator

Hire a digital marketing team if you can't do it yourself and get the word out via press releases, ads, etc

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL