Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2015, 05:57 AM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Coaching youth Tball

Anyone have any experience doing this with 4-5 year olds?

My sons league was looking for parents to coach, I send an inquiry about it, and the director took that as me volunteering, so now me and my buddy are the coaches of our boys team.

Looks like the first 2-3 weeks are drills and then they start games. I'm sure I will get some direction from the director of the league, but was wondering if anyone has suggestions for drills for kids that age, advice, websites, etc...

The most important thing for me is they have fun and learn to love baseball.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I coached for years, even before I actually had my own kids. The biggest key I can give you for little ones, is to get as much help as you can, split them into small groups, 1 works on hitting, 1 on throwing, 1 on fielding, etc. That way there is very little standing around. The kids will learn more this way too...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

Tell saldana that it's t-ball, so no, he doesn't own the inside of the plate.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My experience with kids about twice that age says you should plan to drink a lot.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
revrew
Team Chaplain

Did years ago. Be prepared to have kids who have NO concept of baseball. You'll have to patiently explain and reexplain (and have them physically do it, so the kinesthetic learners pick up on it too) which way to run around the bases, no you can't throw the ball at a runner, yes, when the ball is hit toward you, you're supposed to go get it, no, you're not all outfielders, etc.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
Easy Mac

I had my first practice coaching my daughter's 4-5 y/o soccer team last night. I'm not going to say it was torture, but it was pretty close. The kids acted great, but every parent is watching you like a hawk, and I'm very introverted, so I was amazingly uncomfortable. Plus, most of the "drills" in the league handbook involve carrying a soccer ball around? I understand I'm trying to help teach them coordination, but having 4-5 year olds carrying around soccer balls doesn't really instill "don't use your hands."

I also got a huge gash in my side after retrieving a soccer ball out of the tiny, rusty metal goal, so I also have tetanus to look forward to.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:53 AM   #8
saldana
Pro Starter

make all of them appointments at BALCO
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I haven't coached that young (coached HS) but my kids are going through the ranks now. Our best experiences have been with coaches who had a plan, every practice they had an agenda of what they wanted to get done.

It makes a big difference, we have had a couple coaches who didn't have a plan...ever and it really made for some less effective time for our kids.

The most memorable was during batting practice the other 15 kids batted for about 90 minutes rotating one by one why the remaining kids stayed in the field. The kids were bored and the coach missed the fact that my son never even got to hit.

It's a hard job, I don't envy the volunteers at all. I keep thinking about doing it but the prep behind the scenes is just as important as what you do at practice.

My 2 cents...
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
I coached for years, even before I actually had my own kids. The biggest key I can give you for little ones, is to get as much help as you can, split them into small groups, 1 works on hitting, 1 on throwing, 1 on fielding, etc. That way there is very little standing around. The kids will learn more this way too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Our best experiences have been with coaches who had a plan, every practice they had an agenda of what they wanted to get done.

It makes a big difference, we have had a couple coaches who didn't have a plan...ever and it really made for some less effective time for our kids.

The most memorable was during batting practice the other 15 kids batted for about 90 minutes rotating one by one why the remaining kids stayed in the field. The kids were bored and the coach missed the fact that my son never even got to hit.

This

I coached my son's team at that age. Your plan should definitely limit the amount of time the kids are standing around waiting to do something. As far as drills go, this will defintely depend on how familiar your players are with the game. Getting the players to get the ball and throw it to a teammate was a great accomplishment. That probably say something about my coaching skills though

Most important, make sure someone gets the entire team chasing a batted ball into the outfield!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #11
Umbrella
High School Varsity

I've coached all age groups. The little ones are challenging, but they are a lot of fun. Most of the times, the parents aren't insane at that age group.

I'll second and third having a plan for practice. At that age group, the attention spans are pretty short. Try to break the team up in small groups of maybe 3-4 kids. Establish some stations (fielding, hitting, throwing, baserunning etc.) and rotate the kids every 10-15 minutes. They will stay busy, and they each get attention. Usually you can find some parents to help with the stations.

I don't want to get real technical, but at that age group, focus on teaching the fundamentals. It's a lot of work, but it pays great dividends down the road for the kids that stick with it. There are tons of books and websites with a lot of information about how to do this if you've never done it before.

Also, one of the things I do is I print out a parents code of conduct, and have every parent sign it at the first practice. It stops a lot of the problems before they even start if they know what is expected of their behavior from the start.

Most importantly, keep it fun. If you are doing your job right, the kids should look forward to coming to practice. At that age, focus on drills that are more on the fun side as opposed to strictly mechanical. For example, for the younger kids, I do a "drill" where one practice I bring a big cooler full of water balloons. The purpose is to catch with soft hands, so the ball doesn't clank off their gloves. I toss them balloons (not with their gloves). If they catch it without it breaking, they get to try and hit me with it. If not, they get wet. Later on, I reinforce the idea that they should try and catch the ball like they are catching balloons. It's one of their favorite practices of the year, and with that mindset of catching a water balloon, they do a better job of catching the ball.

Last edited by Umbrella : 03-17-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #12
tarcone
Coordinator

Longest one hour of the day. Man it is a chore. Keep them busy and make it fun.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #13
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
See if any are up for Tommy John surgery
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote