Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-03-2019, 06:05 AM   #1701
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This is the second floor

News Breaking LIVE on Twitter: "BREAKING VIDEO: Flooding reportedly reaching the second story of a home in Freeport on the Grand Bahama Island https://t.co/ivWXmdmmDm"
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:10 AM   #1702
PilotMan
Head Coach

That is terrifying.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:21 PM   #1703
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
That is terrifying.

Yup.

Hope everyone in the Carolina's stay safe.

I had toyed with the idea of someday buying a house close to the beach on Jekyll island, I think I'll scratch that idea.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:57 AM   #1704
Edward64
Head Coach

The pics from Bahamas is pretty bad. The 30+ death toll will likely go up.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:14 AM   #1705
miami_fan
Coordinator

Check Carolina FOFCers!

IIRC most if not all live more inland than on the coast.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #1706
Thomkal
Head Coach

Not much to report on here in Myrtle Beach. 8+ inches of rain, lot of small/medium branches down, no standing water in my yard.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #1707
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Check Carolina FOFCers!

IIRC most if not all live more inland than on the coast.
We moved from Charleston to Greensboro 5 years ago, so we're in the "inland" group.

Related: the last three text messages I have from a relative of mine are as follows:

10/8/2016
Her: "I hope you guys are ok. I hear the hurricane is hitting North Carolina."
Me: "Greensboro isn't near the coast. We're just getting rain and 15mph wind at most."

10/13/2018
Her: "Are all of you ok from the hurricane? Don't know if your part of NC may have been involved."
Me: "We're fine. Greensboro is nowhere near the coast, at the top of the Cape Fear River basin (so no major flooding), and our house is at the top of a hill."

9/6/2019
Her: "Are y'all ok from the hurricane? I see where it hit North Carolina"
Me: "Yes. Greensboro is nowhere near the coast."

This lady has multiple advanced degrees, and it's not like she's from some tiny state like Rhode Island where the weather is all the same. She has lived her entire life in the largest state East of the Mississippi. There is no excuse for this. None.

And yeah, those are literally the last three texts I have from her. I was soooooo tempted to say "READ UP FOR THE ANSWER!"

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-06-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #1708
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Yeah, Florence last year at least still affected the inland area and was trouble for people in low-lying areas. This one's kind of crazy in that the coast is still getting hit very hard but there was literally no rain and maybe high wind gusts of 20 mph here in Charlotte?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #1709
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
This lady has multiple advanced degrees, and it's not like she's from some tiny state like Rhode Island where the weather is all the same. She has lived her entire life in the largest state East of the Mississippi. There is no excuse for this. None.

Wait... are you saying that the weather in Atlanta may be vastly different from the weather in Savannah (sub whatever multiple hour drive distance for any other state)? Nooooo!

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-06-2019 at 03:20 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #1710
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Wait... are you saying that the weather in Atlanta may be vastly different from the weather in Savannah (sub whatever multiple hour drive distance for any other state)? Nooooo!
Shocking to her, apparently.

I take solace in the fact that she is only a relative by marriage.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #1711
rjolley
College Starter

I get the same from family and friends when something happened in Cali over the last 5 years. The earthquakes and the fires have prompted multiple calls. Only the Camp fire last year in Paradise was close enough to actually impact us, and that was an air quality issue.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:50 PM   #1712
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Shocking to her, apparently.

I take solace in the fact that she is only a relative by marriage.

I'd be tempted to do a "Let Me Google That For You" regarding the distance from your city to the coast.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #1713
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looks like Dorian might make it all the way to Canada as a Cat 1. Crazy
Old 09-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #1714
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Looks like Dorian might make it all the way to Canada as a Cat 1. Crazy

Just upgraded to a Cat 2!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:53 PM   #1715
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Foot to half a metre of snow in the forecast for this weekend.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:01 PM   #1716
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
Foot to half a metre of snow in the forecast for this weekend.

Christ, how do you live there?
Old 09-29-2019, 11:29 AM   #1717
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Christ, how do you live there?

They actually just upped the forecast to a meter in places. We've easily got a foot already and I can't see across our backyard.

It's a beautiful place in the summer and the spring and fall are nice. We'll often get a big dump, but it will melt and we'll have blue skies and weather in the low 50's for weeks. Winter's can be long if we don't get chinooks but it is what it is. It's nice to be close to the mountains, it's normally sunny. As far as Canada goes the weather is pretty good overall, not too hot in the summer, some reprieve from the cold in the winter, not too much snow normally. The weather in the interior of BC is nicer, but there's no work and it's more for retirement. Now if you ask me why anyone lives in Winnipeg, I don't have a good answer for you. Maybe they're just masochists .
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #1718
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hope none of our Texas contingent were affected by last nights tornadoes. Sounds like a pretty grim scene there this morning.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #1719
miami_fan
Coordinator

I have never experienced a earthquake so 30 in 24 hours and 531 in 7 days may be no big deal.

Quote:
Puerto Rico has had: (M1.5 or greater)

30 earthquakes in the past 24 hours
531 earthquakes in the past 7 days
1,469 earthquakes in the past 30 days
4,593 earthquakes in the past 365 days

Compared to LA/ Southern California

Quote:
LA and Southern California has had: (M1.5 or greater)

14 earthquakes in the past 24 hours
108 earthquakes in the past 7 days
503 earthquakes in the past 30 days
16,265 earthquakes in the past 365 days

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #1720
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Meanwhile flashfloods across the midwest and this is only the start of a weeklong of rain.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #1721
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
In 2018, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, FERC, revoked the license of the company that operated the Edenville Dam, Boyce Hydro Power, due to non-compliance issues that included spillway capacity — essentially an overflow valve — and the inability to pass the most severe flood reasonably possible in the area.

In its revocation proposal, FERC wrote that Boyce had a "long history of non-compliance," and listed numerous offenses. The commission's "primary concern" however, was Boyce's "longstanding failure to address the project's inadequate spillway capacity." According to FERC's 2018 proposal, the spillway was only designed to handle "approximately 50 percent" of potential flooding.

"(Boyce) failed to increase the capacity of spillways to enable them to pass the probable maximum flood (PMF) as required by Regional Engineer directives," FERC wrote. And further warned that "failure of the Edenville dam could result in the loss of human life and the destruction of property and infrastructure."

Like so much in this country, people ignored warnings and now lots of people suffer.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:09 PM   #1722
Kodos
Resident Alien

No power since 4ish after tropical storm Isais came through. Ugh.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-04-2020 at 09:09 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #1723
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sounds like it could be days. Like this year hasn’t sucked enough.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #1724
JPhillips
General Manager

In theory I get mine back by 10 pm today, but we'll see.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:39 AM   #1725
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of weather, somebody with hurricane + large city experience smarten me up a little if you don't mind.

The kid's new place emailed him (and all residents) to remind them that "the cooling towers will be turned off any time forecasts call for sustained winds over 40 mph"

So I know that cooling towers = the a.c. for a tall building, up on the roof.. but why shut them off? I mean, it's not like they're removing them. My best guess is that they're more vulnerable to wind damage internally if they're running as opposed to being idle but that's mostly just a guess.

What's the real deal on that?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-05-2020 at 11:39 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #1726
JPhillips
General Manager

Woohoo. Power restored.

Now on to cutting up the tree that fell.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #1727
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Speaking of weather, somebody with hurricane + large city experience smarten me up a little if you don't mind.

The kid's new place emailed him (and all residents) to remind them that "the cooling towers will be turned off any time forecasts call for sustained winds over 40 mph"

So I know that cooling towers = the a.c. for a tall building, up on the roof.. but why shut them off? I mean, it's not like they're removing them. My best guess is that they're more vulnerable to wind damage internally if they're running as opposed to being idle but that's mostly just a guess.

What's the real deal on that?

I am not an electrician but I always was told to shut off all power during a hurricanes to prevent possible damage from power surges. I am guessing the building management made specific mention of the cooling towers and thus the AC just to avoid questions. Also, it is a slight nudge to “encourage” people to evacuate when told.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #1728
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
I have never experienced a earthquake so 30 in 24 hours and 531 in 7 days may be no big deal.

Compared to LA/ Southern California

Generally speaking, you don't really fell anything unless it is 3.5 or higher and even then you'd have to be pretty close to the epicenter to notice.

Once it starts getting to 4.0+ it becomes noticeable.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #1729
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am not an electrician but I always was told to shut off all power during a hurricanes to prevent possible damage from power surges. I am guessing the building management made specific mention of the cooling towers and thus the AC just to avoid questions. Also, it is a slight nudge to “encourage” people to evacuate when told.

In doing some Googling to try to figure it out on my own, I came across that specific thing -- cooling towers -- across a number of similar buildings in Miami, but largely separated from any of the evacuation stuff.

One even went so far as to detail the different tiers of things, and that was like the first one, well in advance of anything approaching evacuations.

A subsequent Googling (after your reply) may have turned up the answer -- courtesy of some company trying to sell locking systems for cooling towers

Quote:
As wind speeds increase, unlocked cooling tower fans will rotate, sometimes at dangerous velocities. When wind loads are high enough to flex the fan shrouds into the rotating fan blades, the fan assemblies can shatter. The fan shrouds, gear reducers, drive shafts, drive motors and the cooling tower structure can be affected by the damaging forces of the wind-driven fan blades.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #1730
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In doing some Googling to try to figure it out on my own, I came across that specific thing -- cooling towers -- across a number of similar buildings in Miami, but largely separated from any of the evacuation stuff.

One even went so far as to detail the different tiers of things, and that was like the first one, well in advance of anything approaching evacuations.

A subsequent Googling (after your reply) may have turned up the answer -- courtesy of some company trying to sell locking systems for cooling towers

I've never heard of this living in Houston but we have all sorts of crazy weather procedures that I'm not aware of during hurricanes so I guess it wouldn't surprise me. I think your suggestion might be the more right one, though.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:44 AM   #1731
Kodos
Resident Alien

Got our power back around 2 a.m. last night. My initial reaction to the light was “Man, is it morning already?”
Old 08-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #1732
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa City and Cedar Rapids got hit with 100+ mph winds today during storms. The news said it was like a hurricane. Trees and power lines down all over the place. Lots of streets shut down.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #1733
JPhillips
General Manager

We need to shut things down until we can find out what the hell's going on with these derechos.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:06 PM   #1734
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Iowa City and Cedar Rapids got hit with 100+ mph winds today during storms. The news said it was like a hurricane. Trees and power lines down all over the place. Lots of streets shut down.

Microburst?

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:42 PM   #1735
tarcone
Coordinator

Straight line winds. Saw a picture of my brothers house. Trees down all over the place.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:53 PM   #1736
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Straight line winds.

Those things are nasty.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #1737
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Those things are nasty.

Just checking in after yesterday's craziness.

Who had a hurricane in Iowa as 2020's next disaster? Not me. Didn't even know that was possible.

Worked all night last night to clean up, have a pile of downed limbs 15feet wide, 40 feet long, 6 feet high, but somehow none of our trees were actually uprooted, and somehow none fell on the house itself. My wife and I were both gone when it hit, so our cars were spared as well. Power restored last night, though we have live power lines dangling only a few feet from the ground.

My daughter lost her job yesterday, however, because the restaurant she works for doesn't have a roof anymore. Some of my adult kids in nearby Ames still without power.

Our house was wiped out by tornado in 2005, and this isn't anywhere near as bad, but I gotta say, it brings back memories, and not in a good way.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #1738
tarcone
Coordinator

Talked to my brother in Cedar Rapids. Said they had 100 mph sustained winds for an hour. The hurricane started in Western Iowa and traveled 700 miles.

Cedar Rapids is a wreck. As is most of Iowa it sounds like.

Old 08-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #1739
Thomkal
Head Coach

Glad you are okay Revrew. Sucks about your daughter, but at least they are all safe. Hope the midwestern crew here is safe too.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:17 AM   #1740
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Tornado warning for the jersey shore. WTF!
Old 08-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #1741
spleen1015
Coordinator

Mother nature is tired of being abused. She's fighting back!
Old 08-19-2020, 06:20 PM   #1742
Thomkal
Head Coach

Was just watching some coverage of the California wildfires. Hope none of our CA contingent here are in harm's way.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:30 PM   #1743
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Was just watching some coverage of the California wildfires. Hope none of our CA contingent here are in harm's way.

Whole buncha wildfires in CO right now, too. Been several days when you can smell it, and we're hundreds of miles away from them.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #1744
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Whole buncha wildfires in CO right now, too. Been several days when you can smell it, and we're hundreds of miles away from them.

Had not heard that CW thanks. Very scary
Old 08-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #1745
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So it appears there may be a couple of minimal hurricanes or tropical storms in the Gulf making landfall within 12 hours of each other next week. One around New Orleans or a bit west, the other maybe in the Florida panhandle. Just what we need.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:00 AM   #1746
spleen1015
Coordinator

Mother nature is tired of being abused. She's fighting back!
Old 08-21-2020, 08:26 AM   #1747
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm pretty sure Alabama is going to get hit by both.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:13 PM   #1748
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Currently, Houston is at the center of a large cone of uncertainty for what would be hurricane Marco.

SI

Old 08-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #1749
JPhillips
General Manager

I have no expertise, but I just can't believe that two storms can get that close and not be affected by each other. I don't know if it will be intensity or track, but I think the forecasts now will change quite a bit before any landfall.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #1750
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I have no expertise, but I just can't believe that two storms can get that close and not be affected by each other. I don't know if it will be intensity or track, but I think the forecasts now will change quite a bit before any landfall.

Well, actually, they do:
Fujiwhara effect - Wikipedia

Space City Weather (a wonderful Houston weather blog) talks a bit about it partway through their morning update:
https://spacecityweather.com/tropica...-of-questions/

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-21-2020 at 09:53 PM.